Unwavering (Ichika Nakano x M...

By Franzel_Red

Volume 1: The story is set in the 3rd year of high school for Ichika Nakano. It's the moment where Fuutarou f... More

Author's Notes
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Cutting Ties
Chapter 2 - A Friend in Need
Chapter 3 - Realization
Chapter 4 - A Recollection of the Past
Chapter 5 - Photograph
Chapter 6 - Gamble
Chapter 7 - Acceptance
Chapter 8 - Moving back
Chapter 9 - Pool
Chapter 10 - Deal
Chapter 11 - Fix you
Chapter 12 - Intimacy
Chapter 13 - Family Matters
Chapter 14 - Easing up
Chapter 15 - Preparations
Chapter 16 - The Sunrise Festival
Chapter 17 - 2nd day of the Sunrise Festival
Chapter 18 - The Quintessential Quintuplets💛💜💙💚❤️
Chapter 19 - Festival's End
Chapter 20 - What lies ahead
Vol 2. Prologue - Wish
Vol 2. Ch. 21 - Anew
Vol 2. Ch 22 - Departure
Vol. 2 Ch 23 - Adapt
Vol 2. Ch 24 - Too close for comfort
Vol. 2 Ch. 25 - Trust
Vol. 2 Ch. 26 - Camping Trip
Vol. 2 Ch. 27 - Realization
Vol. 2 Ch. 28 - What Lies Behind
Vol. 2 Ch. 29 - Thoughts
Vol. 2 Ch. 30 - Viewpoint
Vol. 2 Ch. 31 - Compromise
Vol. 2 Ch. 32 - A Recollection of her Past
Vol. 2 Ch. 32.1 - Love, Lies, and Sins
Vol. 2 Ch. 32.2 - Regrets and Reconciliation
Vol. 2 Ch. 32.3 - Three Words; Two People; One Mother
Vol. 2 Ch. 33 - Uneasiness
Vol. 2 Ch. 35 - As the End Begins
Vol 2. Ch 36 - Your dream for me
Vol. 2 Ch. 37 - Her Children
Vol. 2 Ch. 38 - As Their World Caves In
Vol. 2 Ch. 39 - Fleeting Moments
Vol. 2 Ch. 40 - Grateful
Unwavering

Vol. 2 Ch. 34 - Cope

599 61 15
By Franzel_Red

"Pull me oh so close'
Cause you never know
Just how long our lives will be..."

- Sanctuary

*************************************************************************************

[Katori's POV]

"H-hey, honey! I'm doing great!" I exclaimed while signaling Akumi to give me some privacy.

She went inside her room and I stayed on the couch so I can continue the conversation with Ichika.

"That's good to hear! Have you seen it?"

"What do you mean?"

"The trailer for my movie?"

"Oh, I haven't yet. Sorry. I'll check it later. Maybe after this phone call?"

"That's alright! Sorry, I was just really excited to make you see it. Anyways, I woke up earlier than expected so I thought I'd call you."

"Thanks, hon. I really appreciate it."

"How's Uni?"

"Well, everything's just the same. I go to my classes everyday then go to the clubroom whenever we have activities."

"I see, I'm glad that everything's fine."

"Yup!"

I notice her take a deep breath.

"Hon?" I asked.

"Well, I'm not sure when I'll be coming home. I will be having a meeting with one of the studios that want to cast me for the main role. Everything's really going great for my career and at this point, I'm not sure if I should continue..."

"Really? That's great hon! You should! You deserve it, so don't hold back! It only goes to show that they're recognizing your talent and hard work even more!"

"But that means..." She said with a faint voice.

I want to cheer her on so I replied, "Don't worry about it! I'm all goods here! I'm really proud of you. You know that, right?"

"Thank you hon... You're right. Sorry, it's just... You know...? Of course, I don't want to make you feel like you're being left out because of my career."

"You're not, okay? You never made me feel that way. I totally understand it. Besides, it's not like I'd die or anything." I tried to tease her.

"Honey! Don't joke like that!"

"Y-Yeah.... Sorry! You were being too serious!"

I heard her chuckle a bit and replied, "Well, I know what you're trying to do and I understand. Once I get home, I'll make sure that you have all my time and attention. I'll make up for the lost time. I promise that I'm all yours."

"That's alright hon. I can wait. I'll be here waiting for you with open arms."

"Yeah, I can't wait to get home."

"M-Me too..."

I had a sudden attack so I hurried to drink some of my meds.

"Hon? Is something the matter?"

"Oh, N-Nothing! I got thirsty so I got me some water. And I guess, I just miss you, that's all."

"Really?"

"Yes, don't worry about it."

"I miss you too, hon. We'll get in touch, okay? I'll be prepping now. There's an interview I need to be on for a morning news."

"Wow, maybe the next time, I'll be seeing your face everywhere I look!"

"Maybe!?" She chuckled.

"Alright then! I don't want to take much of your time. You're a busy lady after all. You take care there."

"You too. I love you, Hon!"

"I love you more."

As I hang up the phone call, I closed my eyes trying to contain my emotions. I took a deep breath and let out a sigh.

"That was a close one."

"Alright, Ichika's excited to come home. So I should be there to welcome her. Yeah, we can do this. Just a bit more. I'll wait for her."

"How long are you gonna keep it from them?"

I heard Akumi who had just come out of her room.

"As long as it takes..."

She sighed, "If that's your decision, then I don't have a say on it."

I looked at Akumi and said, "Just keep your promise, alright?"

"Yeah, I know. I won't tell anyone about your condition."

"Okay. As long as we have an understanding. I'll be taking some rest now. It's been a long day."

"Alright, Katori-kun. Good night."

"Yeah."

After knowing what my condition is, Akumi helped me with my treatment. We go for a walk every morning before going to Uni, I stopped drinking and eating the things that might worsen my condition, and I started to live as healthy as possible. I also visit the doctor to have my weekly monitoring.

Akumi wasn't kidding about what she said. She started to be the one to drive for me. She also cut some hours from her part-time work, saying that she needs to be in my place as soon as she can so she can watch over me. I tried to convince her that she doesn't have to do it but she was persistent.

After getting used to it, our setup has been like this ever since. I don't mention anything to the quints, my best friend, my mom, and especially, Ichika. I try to live my life as normal as possible. I always tell myself that it's just a condition and I'm stronger than this.

Winter arrived and I'm at the airport trying to send off another important person in my life. I don't know how many people I would see go in my lifetime. But I know that it will just be temporary.

"You better take care of Mom while you guys are there." I teasingly told Maro while their guards are taking out their luggage from the car.

"I will. Don't you worry. You guys take care here too. But I know it will be in good hands since it will be in Tahara's hands. And yours." He smiled.

"Wait? What are you saying?"

"I mean, you're getting older and I know you're ready for this. Once we get home, I'm already looking at one of the managers of the company."

"A-Are you serious?"

He placed his hand on my shoulder and said, "Of course I am. You have great potential. It's about time we explore those."

I looked at mom and asked, "Mom?"

"It would be a great opportunity for you son! Don't worry Tahara-chan will show you the ropes. And we know what you're going through anyways."

"Wait? They know!? How?!"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"You said that you're busy with your Uni, right?"

"Whew... That got me worried right there."

"Oh, y-yeah! You're right."

"You can just visit the company whenever your time lets you. You can just do a virtual meeting if really needed." Maro mentioned.

"I see. Thank you, Maro..."

"No problem. So, I'll just wait inside. I'll give you two some privacy." Maro said while signaling his guards then head inside the airport.

I looked at Mom and she looked anxious.

"Mom, is something wrong?"

"Well... I did say that we'll make up for what we lost... But here I am again..."

"Mom, it's alright. Besides, we've been spending some time together, right? We even celebrated Christmas and New Year together. All of us are not getting any younger and we all have our own responsibilities. So, don't worry about it." I smiled at her.

"Oh, my son...!" She gave me a hug and I hugged her back.

"You take care there, alright? You can just message me or face time me whenever you have the time. I'll just be here waiting for you guys."

"You've really grown..."

"Well, I was raised by Grandma and Yuko..."

"Yeah..."

I hugged her tighter and said, "And I was taken care of by the best mom in the world"

"Oh, you... I'll see you soon, okay?"

We both let go of the hug and I teased, "Don't you cry on me now, okay?"

I noticed that she was already wiping her eyes. "Alright alright, I won't. You take care here. I love you, son."

"I love you too. You guys take care as well."

"Okay, I'll be off then." She smiled as she prepares to head inside, waving her goodbye.

"Bye, mom."

I smiled at her and waved my goodbye as I can see her making her way inside the airport.

As I was preparing to head inside the car, I noticed Tahara-chan looking at me with a smile on her face.

"Tahara-chan?" I wondered.

For the first time ever, I saw a tear in Tahara-chan's eyes.

"I can still remember the time when you visited here and spent time with her. Asako-san was right. You've really grown."

I smiled at her and replied, "Yeah... I guess, I did. Let's go home?"

She smiled back and we both head inside the car.

And with that, two of the most important people in my life went on their own ways; one pursues her dream; the other takes on her responsibilities. And as time flies by, acceptance has been my weapon against this kind of situation.

As well as hope.

A hope that the day would come soon when all of us will just take a seat at one table, have a conversation, enjoy some good food, and cherish each other's presence without a care in the world.

"Yeah... That would be nice. I can't wait for that to happen."

With that kind of acceptance, almost a year had passed with me barely noticing it.

Fall arrived like it was nothing.

I'm now able to smile and be even happier that the people I love are doing the things they need to do for their growth and success.

"So, since it's my birthday, we'll be going somewhere to unwind. Just like what we've talked about." Akumi said while we were getting inside my car.

"Alright, it's not like I can just let you sulk in your room saying that you didn't even got to celebrate your birthday." I teased Akumi.

"Oh come on! I'm not like that!" She protested as we both chuckled.

For the longest time that Akumi had been staying, our relationship only grew stronger. I never thought that I'd be best friends with the person who I was really cautious about. If not for Akumi who genuinely takes care of me, I'm not really sure if I would even be able to survive.

We've been so close that I've become comfortable with her.

It's like living with a sibling.

Akumi wanted to go to a park in Tokyo and just have a picnic there. She said that she just wanted to try it and take some pictures. Sometime later, we finally arrived and we set up the blanket.

Akumi said that she wanted to take a picture of me so she asked me to stand underneath this tree while I hold my own camera.

"There! Just stand there. Then look up a little. As if you're staring on something."

I followed Akumi's instructions and asked, "Like this?"

"There you go! Just hold it for a sec, and... Alright! All good!"

"You got it? How do I look?"

"Here!" She showed her camera.

"Wow... You're great at taking pictures huh?"

"You're being modest right now! As if you're not good at it too!"

"Well? What can I say?" I shrugged and grinned at her.

"Whatever!" We both chuckled.

After taking some more pictures, we both decided to head back to our spot and just have some conversation while seeing the other people enjoying their time as well. I can feel the cool wind breezing through my skin, while the leaves fall from the trees.

Couples, friends, and families, all of them looked so happy. I closed my eyes and breathe in the fresh air.

While taking our time, Akumi started to tell some stories. It has been like this for the two of us. Sometimes it would be me who would share some stories, and sometimes it would be her. Talking to her started to be calming for me.

Because our trust was already established. I'm just glad that it turned out this way. I can see her genuinely being happy.

I guess she always had this side of her. She's finding herself again. While I was smiling, it looks like Akumi noticed me being lost in my thoughts.

"Katori-kun? You alright?"

"Oh, yeah. Sorry, I was just lost in my thoughts."

"Alriiiiight, tell meee... It's not like I'm gonna judge you." She teased.

"I guess, I'm just happy."

"Really? For what?"

"I mean, this. I'm glad that I was able to have a friend like you. And thank you for trusting me. I'm happy that you're being yourself. A lot has happened, huh?"

"Yeah, and I'm really happy I met you. I never thought that I could be this happy. I guess it's true that you can still be happy even if it's with your friend. Thank you for being so kind, Katori-kun. I really appreciate it."

"Oh come on, now! Don't too serious! Isn't it your birthday!?" I playfully slapped her shoulders.

"Well you started it!?"

"Anways, happy birthday Akumi. Here's to a happy life." I smiled as we made a toast from our cup of juice.

"Thanks Katori-kun! Anyways, let me continue what I was saying!"

"Oh, yeah! I almost forgot! My bad! Alright, you can continue." I chuckled as I scratched the back of my head.

"Alright, so I was saying, there was this guy I met years ago. It was like just a fling. You know what I told you right? I didn't mind going out with any other guys last time."

"Yeah, I know."

"I was playing the drunk girl and he started kissing me all over. My god! His breath stinks!" We both chuckled. "When we got to the bed, I was wondering what he was doing because it was taking a while. So I asked him. He looked embarrassed and said, 'how do you take it off?'. I tried my best not to laugh in his face and I swear, it felt like the alcohol left my body that time!"

She chuckled and continued,

"In my mind I was like, 'Ew...! This dude doesn't even know how to take off my bra...!"

"What!?" I just laughed at her statement while I took a sandwich from the basket we brought.

"Yeah! I mean, you know that I don't get drunk that easily, right? So, we like, checked in on a hotel and he was like too excited to do it."

"Well, I can only imagine!"

"I wasn't sure if should be embarrassed for him. He acted so cool and all, saying that we can just have a good time. He even went and said that it's what his Saturday looks like. He said that I won't be able to find another guy like him. I'm like, 'Dude? Really?"

"Sucks to be him."

"I know, right!?" She exclaimed and we both just laugh it out.

"Anyways, how about you though?"

I felt my face getting a bit red because of the embarrassment due to the topic that Akumi and I are having.

"Well, I haven't really had that kind of experience since it has always been Ichika."

"I know that!" We both chuckled. "Well, I know that you're not the kind of person who talks about these things."

"Yeah, but, for what it's worth, I do know how to take off a bra. That's like basic. Come on!"

Akumi spewed her drink after my statement.

"What!?" I playfully protested.

"I don't know!? I just thought it was funny! Never expected you to say things like that!"

"What do you think of me, a saint!? Of course, I can at least joke about those things!"

"Well, that's another thing I've learned from you. I bet Ichika's really good."

"About what?"

"Of taking care of you!" She winked then chuckled.

"I won't tell!"

Akumi and I just chuckled, and continued to enjoy our picnic. While we were at it, the conversation I had with Akumi just made me miss Ichika. I hold on to the ring pendant on my necklace I almost never take off.

"You really miss her, huh?" Akumi said.

"Yeah... Can't help it, can't I?"

"Well, I can't blame you. I always see you holding that but I haven't asked you yet about it."

"What? This?" I showed her the ring.

"Yeah. Must be special to you?"

"Yup, it really is. I value this so much." I said as I held tighter on the ring.

"Did Ichika give it to you?"

"Well, I was actually the one who gave it to her. It was a gift. I gave her this a couple of days before she left Japan."

"I see, so the both of you have one?"

"Yeah. It's a promise ring. It's something I always hold on to whenever I miss her. Look, it even has something etched on it." I made her take a closer look at the ring.

"Gosh, that's so sweet Katori-kun. No wonder Ichika loves you."

"Yeah. And I love her too. Say Akumi, can you keep a secret?"

"I mean, isn't that what I've been doing for more than what? A year now?" She teased.

"Yeah, fine!" I chuckled.

"But yeah! Of course, what is it?"

"Well... Once Ichika comes home... I'll propose to her."

Akumi gasped for air and covered her mouth.

"Yeah... I know... So, can you keep it a secret?"

"Gosh! That's so sweet! You're making me cry right now! Well, of course! I wouldn't want to spoil it for you guys!"

"Thanks, Akumi! I know I can count on you!"

"I have a condition though."

"What is it?"

"Of course, I should be invited to the wedding!"

"Well obviously! We'll have you on the top part of the list!"

"I'll hold on to that offer yours! So you better not forget!"

"When did I ever?"

We chuckled as we enjoy the rest of the day. Time passed and it was already time for us to head home. Akumi and I arrived at the parking lot, walking towards my car. We were preparing to head home while packing our things.

"Here, you put it there at the back." I told Akumi while handing her the blanket and basket.

"Gotcha!"

"You know, this wasn't bad at all. I really had fun. Thanks, Akumi." I smiled.

"You're always welcome! Well, we can't do it frequently. Someone might recognize you. You're the boyfriend of 'The Ichika'. I wouldn't want my face to be all over the internet."

"Yeah, you're right."

"And besides, there's a-"

She stopped from completing her sentence when she was interrupted.

"Akumi?"

We both turned to where the voice was coming from. It was from a man who was standing in front of my car. I looked at Akumi and this was the first time I saw her tremble. Her hands were shaking and I can feel the tension on her face.

"T-Tomu?"

"It's been a while! Is that really you?" He was smiling but I got irritated by his face.

"I..."

Akumi started to stutter and looked really uncomfortable. It seemed like all the happiness that Akumi built up until now suddenly vanished because of this person.

"What? Did you lose the ability to speak? You looked really different from when I left you."

Since I can't stand seeing Akumi like this, I walked up to him and said,

"Look, we don't want some trouble. The lady doesn't seem that wants to talk to you. So why don't we all just go and be on our separate ways?"

"What? Are you his boyfriend?" He smirked.

"No, but I'm her friend. And you're the sex-deprived guy that Akumi was talking about, right?" I sarcastically replied.

It looks like he got irritated and said, "Tsk... Akumi, this is the guy you're with, right now?"

Akumi walked towards me and held my arm.

"Katori-kun... Let's go home. Tomu, we don't want any trouble. We can settle this some other time. Let's go Katori-kun. He's not worth it." Akumi is starting to pull me towards the car.

I turned toward Akumi and smiled at her. "You're right Akumi. Let's not waste our time on people like him. People don't usually take back the trash they already disposed of."

We walked towards my car but he followed us. He grabbed my shoulder and protested,

"What did you say to me!?"

I faced him with a dead-set eye, looking straight at his,

"You heard me. I don't plan on repeating what I said." I grabbed his hands off my shoulders.

"Tss...! You got balls..."

"Something you don't have." I replied.

I faced the door of my car, and I was about to open it when he said,

"You look like you're loaded. Look at this car. I wonder how much this costs. Too bad you're stuck with that bitch."

My ears started to ring. I looked at Akumi and smiled at her while the guy continues with his trash talk,

"That's right, that girl is a good for nothing-"

"KATORI-KUN!"

Akumi was surprised when I punched Tomu straight in the face which rendered him taking a step backwards.

Without saying anything, I gave him a left jab and a right hook that landed both on his face.

"Tomu, stop! Just go home! You guys need to stop this!" Akumi was already crying out.

I still didn't say anything. All I'm feeling was anger toward this person. It felt like a hatred I never knew I had, was being redirected to him.

"Augh!" I uttered as Tomu was able to land a solid hit on my chest but I was able hit him back. He was able to hit my face but I tackled him which brought him to the ground.

I continuously beat the hell out of his face until he can't take it anymore.

"S-Stop! Please... I'll stop... I won't bother you guys anymore." He wailed while covering his face with his hands.

I was breathing heavily while he was begging me to stop. Adrenaline was rushing through out my body. I stood up, hold on to his shirt, and pulled him up to his feet.

"You better not show your face in front of me, nor Akumi! Because I can do a lot more damage than destroying that worthless face of yours. You hear me!?"

With a terrified look on his face, he replied, "Y-Yes! I'm-I'm sorry!"

He ran as fast as he can after I let him go. As I can see him drawing further, I felt Akumi's hands on my arms once more.

"Katori-kun!" Akumi cried out.

I placed my hand on top of her head and said,

"It's okay now. That guy will not bother you anymore..." I smiled at her.

I can see that she was still crying. She started to hold on to my shirt and said,

"K-Katori-kun! I don't care about him! I'm worried about you! I'm really sorry!" She started to cry like a child.

I felt bad so I tried to calm her down. "Hey... It's not your fault, alright? Now, let's just go home."

"Y-Yes..." She just nodded while wiping her eyes.

We both started to walk towards my car when Akumi asked,

"Katori-kun, are you sure you're okay?"

With my hand on my chest, I declared, "Of course! Nothing I can't handle!"

"You made me worried there for a second!"

I just smiled at her so I can ease her wariness.

While talking to Akumi, the adrenaline rush started to leave my body and I felt something in my chest. It felt very stiff as if something is squeezing inside.

I looked at Akumi and she seemed like she was saying something but I can't make out any of it. My vision started to blur as I feel that time is slowing down. With the best possible effort I have, I tried to smile at her and said,

"Y-Yeah... I'm alri-"

The surrounding started to get muted. My heart felt like it was ripped out from my chest and everything started to slowly fade out as the only thing I can make sense of;

My body just gave up on me.

"Mom... Ichika... I'm sorry... It looks like I won't be able to fulfill my promise..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.2K 220 42
TALE OF LOVE SERIES #1 Charlotte Rivera isn't fond of the friend-to-lover story because she believes that a friend should just stay as a friend but s...
1.3M 51.8K 55
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
11.1K 207 8
Five years ago your children were born. A war is brewing soon from all sides. And you may be the only savior for everyone. A new chapter starts with...
11.3K 477 42
A shy and timid penguin and a dorky hyperactive llama's everyday life after getting married. The ups and down of marriage A/N: I've been searchin...