Throughout It All

By VaquitaLibra

The newsies have grown up. It's 1914, a year after Kid Blink passed away. But Jack is not allowed to forget h... More

Hello And Welcome! :)
Prologue ~ Here's To Us
1 | The Letter | July 18, 1914
2 | The Start | July 18, 1914
3 | Reconciliation | July 18, 1914
4 | Racetrack and the Circus | July 19, 1914
5 | Knife To See You Again ... I Guess | July 19, 1914
7 | We're Here For You | July 19, 1914
8 | Making A Plan | July 19, 1914
9 | Our Journey Begins | July 20, 1914
10 | Street Gang | July 20, 1914
11 | A Trip To The Saloon ... Kind Of | July 20, 1914
12 | Another Puzzle Piece Clicks | July 20, 1914
13 | So Close | July 20, 1914
14 | Finally, Finally | July 20, 1914
15 | In Trouble Again | July 20, 1914
16 | After All These Years | July 20, 1914
17 | Stopped Time | July 20, 1914
18 | Rising Tension | July 20, 1914
19 | The Final Battle | July 20, 1914
20 | It's Always Been You | July 21, 1914
Midlogue ~ Lovely Day
21 | Everything Will Change | September 12, 1918
22 | We Thought We Were Okay | September 12, 1918
23 | While We Still Can | September 20, 1918
24 | Unfamiliar World | September 24, 1918
25 | The Meuse-Argonne Offensive Begins | September 26, 1918
26 | The Day It All Happens | October 4, 1918
27 | We Must Go On | October 5, 1918
28 | Hold On To What You Can | October 12, 1918
29 | Traveling | October 14, 1918
30 | Vittorio, Confidence, Loss | October 30, 1918
31 | Just Another Day In Prison ... Not Really | November 1, 1918
32 | Not What We Wanted | November 2, 1918
33 | Time Carries On | November 3-4, 1918
34 | Shelter | November 5, 1918
35 | Getting Closer | November 6-7, 1918
36 | Farewell | November 9, 1918
37 | Going Home | November 10-11, 1918
38 | Memories | November 11, 1918
39 | Reunion | January 15, 1919
40 | Memorial | November 15, 1923
Epilogue ~ Here We Are
Goodbye And Thank You! :)

6 | The Search For An Estranged Beloved | July 19, 1914

56 3 18
By VaquitaLibra

Kind of a filler? But it moves the plot forward.

And if I write it right, the end is full of feels.

Enjoy! :)

---------------------------------

Now that they're actually looking for James Baletti for looking for Mush, Jack is beginning to see the faults in his plan.

And there are lots.

First off, he doesn't know where James Baletti is. Or if he'll actually tell them where Mush is. Let alone if he knows where Mush is.

Yeah, so there are a few cracks in Jack's plan.

But he can't tell the others that. They would all leave him in an instant.

And he just got them back again in his life.

So he keeps all his worries to himself, hoping that everything is going to sort itself out soon enough.

"You know, it's been exactly a year since Kid Blink got buried," Race comments offhandedly.

"The day of the funeral," Spot adds on to Race's statement.

"Yeah."

Jack and David stop walking and turn to look behind them. "What-what was that?"

"We ... were just saying how it's been a year since Kid Blink's funeral," Race says, confused.

"A year since the day he got buried," David presses.

"Well yeah, I thought we established that-" Race's eyes widen, finally catching on. "You don't think-"

A side smile grows on Jack's face as a flash of hope and triumph flicker in his eyes. "I think we have an idea of where to find our James Baletti."

Race's grin grows. He turns to Spot, excited. "See?! I am a genius!!"

Spot rolls his eyes good-naturedly. "And yet sometimes you're still too much a fool to realize it."

---------------------------------------------

While Jack was just here not too long ago, it's been a year for everyone else.  They're all quiet. There's no written rule about no talking in cemeteries, but it just feels like the natural thing to do.

And there it is.

The gravestone with Louis Baletti engraved in it.

Where their dear friend from years ago now rests in peace six feet below them.

It's a very sombering thought.

And sure enough, they aren't the only ones who came to visit Louis Baletti.

There he is, right there. James Baletti. Right where they thought he would be.

James doesn't turn around as they approach him cautiously. "Back again so soon?"

"You are," Jack returns, trying not to feel uneasy or have any misgivings about James's questionable tone. Was it neutral? Or did it have a hint of animosity? Jack can't tell.

Now James turns around to face them, saying nothing, eyes just the tiniest bit red.

And then Jack is flooded with sympathy. It's been a year since James's brother died. He was probably hoping to spend time alone here, and here they are, impeding on the sacredness.

Still, they came here for a reason. 

Jack takes a tentative step forward. "We don't mean to intrude."

James shakes his head. "No. You all knew Louis. Once. You all regarded him as a friend. And he regarded you as his friends. You are not intruding here."

Race looks down guiltily, as do Spot and David. They hadn't exactly been the best of friends in the last few years with Kid Blink. It was their fault that they grew apart from Kid Blink all those years ago. Can they really claim to have a right to be here?

But they aren't just here for Kid Blink. They're here for his lover of unknown whereabouts.

Jack decides that drawing out the conversation too long won't get them anywhere. He still tries to bring up their point as gently as he can. "You remember Kid Blink's ... closest ... friend, a guy the newsies called Mush, right?"

 James lets out a dry laugh. "I know that they were lovers. Even a blind man could see it."

Well, that's making things easier.

Jack's just glad that James seems to be so accepting of Kid Blink having a male partner.

"Well..." Jack goes for it. "We were wondering if you had seen him lately, or if you know where he is?"

For some time, James doesn't respond. Jack and the others wait in nervous anticipation for any kind of response.

Then James inhales deeply, his shoulders lifting up, and then he drops them as he exhales. He tells them where Mush lives. "That is, if he still lives there. It's been a year since I last saw him. I have no idea what has happened in the past year."

None of them know either. It makes them feel guilty. They have barely interacted with Mush since they stopped being newsies--they don't even know what name he's going by now--and now in the year after Kid Blink died, no one tried reaching out to him, or at least trying to contact him.

That changes today.

They thank James, and leave him in peace with his family's graves.

----------------------------------------------

There's a light drizzle when they go to the address.

"This is only if James was telling the truth," Spot points out. He had been skeptical about most of their interaction with him.

"Why would he lie to us about something like that?" Race asks. Nothing demeaning about it, just curious.

Spot shrugs. "How should I know?"

Meanwhile, Jack hesitates before knocking. David stands by his side, and briefly grabs Jack's hand. That's all the confidence boost Jack needs.

Tentatively, he knocks.

And then they wait.

Race starts tapping his fingers when the seconds start stretching out.

What if Mush isn't here? What if they've come to the wrong place? What if he doesn't live here anymore?

Thankfully, the door opens not much later.

They barely recognize him.

True, they wouldn't expect him to look like a teen anymore. But they hadn't hoped to find him ragged looking, tired, like he's gone days without taking time for self-care. His hair is messy, the space behind him that they can see is messy. And his eyes ... the deep brown eyes that once held so much joy and happiness now are full of exhaustion and sorrow.

What does one say in a situation like this?

No one knows what to say. So they continue saying nothing at all.

This goes on until Mush asks, tiredly, "What do you all want?"

For a moment, no one answers. Then they all look at Jack, expecting him to have some explanation like he had for all of them.

But before Jack can say anything, Race makes the first move. He steps forward, and embraces Mush.

---------------------------------------

My heart honestly doesn't know how it's feeling about this ending, it just knows that there are Feels.

This chapter was barely 1000 words, but it really doesn't need that much to it.

I ... honestly don't have much to say here.

I know it's been a while since I last updated, but life just sometimes gets busy, you know?

As always, I can't guarantee constant updates, but I'll try to do better than just every once in awhile.

Please, no homophobia, profanities, hate etc in the comment section at all times. 

Best,

~Your Beloved Author (who knows that they may have messed up the date of a year after Kid Blink was buried, but doesn't exactly know how to figure it all out)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 33 17
Sixteen year old, Luna Grace Johnson finds herself an orphan after her first horse race. She lives in an alley before being taken to the Newsies' Lod...
34.6K 620 40
~Majority of ships are Javey or Sprace ~Requests closes ~Those marked without -[ship name] aren't ship related ~No NSFW ~Triggers at chapter beginni...
4K 137 15
Racetrack Higgins is many things: a newsie, a gambler, witty, and smart. And he also wasn't born a boy. He can count the number of people who know th...
567K 9.2K 109
Newsies stuff ɪɴᴄʟᴜᴅᴇs • ᴊᴀᴄᴋ • ᴅᴀᴠɪᴅ • sᴘᴏᴛ • ᴍᴜsʜ • sᴋɪᴛᴛᴇʀʏ • ᴋɪᴅ ʙʟɪɴᴋ • ʀᴀᴄᴇᴛʀᴀᴄᴋ • вumlєtѕ • ᴄʀᴜᴛᴄʜɪᴇ • (les ) thєrє αlѕσ wíll вє ѕσmє ím...