Erica

Av Prickly_Thorns

They say her voice was once bewitching to all who heard it. She was like a siren luring sailors to their deat... Mer

Erica
×1×
×2×
×3×
×4×
×5×
×6×
×7×
×8×
×9×
×10×
×11×
×12×
×13×
×14×
×15×
×16×
×17×
×18×
×19×
×20×
×21×
×22×
×23×
×24×
×25×
×26×
×27×
×28×
×29×
×30×
×31×
×32×
×33×
×34×
×35×
×36×
×37×
×38×
×39×
×40×
×41×
×42×
×43×
×44×
×45×
×46×
×47×
×48×
×50×
×51×
×52×
×53×
×54×
×55×
×56×
×57×
×58×
×59×
×60×
×61×
×62×
×63×
×64×
×65×
×66×
×67×
×68×
×69×
×70×
×71×
×72×
×73×
×74×
×75×
×76×
×77×
×78×
×79×
×80×
×81×
×82×
×83×
×84×
×85×
Q&A and Acknowledgements
Announcement
Cover Poll

×49×

29.4K 1.7K 74
Av Prickly_Thorns

"Yes. I think that would be a wonderful idea!" The Duchess of Waisend smiled in delight, a playful glint in her eyes.

The Duke let out a sharp breath relieved that his Duchess was happy.

"But do you think she would agree?" She scrunched her eyebrows in thought.

"Who in their right mind would decline such an offer? We are the Waisends my dear, anyone would be honoured to be given such an opportunity." The Duke smiled in reassurance.

"I know that, but there is something about her which gives me the feeling that she may reject our extended invitation." The Duchess frowned and looked down.

The Duke walked up to her and gently placed a finger under her chin lifting it up so he could meet his Duchess's beautiful eyes.

"Then we will just have to make her an offer she cannot refuse."

"I do not wish to force her..."

"And we will not. The final choice lies in her hands. It is up to her whether she wishes to accept or not. I just hope that she accepts as I do not wish to see you look so down and have an unpleasant time at the ball." He kissed her forehead.

"I really am the luckiest girl in the world." The Duchess smiled and leaned into her husband, "But do not worry about me, I know exactly what I signed up for the moment we took our vows."

"How can I not worry? Your happiness is my happiness-" The Duke was interrupted by a kiss.

"Ew!" Edith squealed from the doorway covering her face.

Both the Duke and Duchess parted but still remained in each other's embraces laughing at their cute little daughter and son hiding shyly behind her.

Meanwhile Erica was back with Ron helping clean the place before the next patient were to arrive.

Ron watched her silently from the corner of his eyes.

He had been a bit worried for the frightened girl when she was summoned to the Waisend estate. She had been very pale and looked as if she would faint the moment the summoning was received however when she had returned, she seemed fine.

She was relaxed and calm, peaceful almost. Ron was relieved yet very curious. He really wanted to know why the Waisends had summoned her. He did have an idea, but he wanted to confirm it.

"Erica-" Just as he was about to ask, he was interrupted by a knock on the door.

"Apologies for the late interruption, a letter for a Miss Erica from the Duke." A Waisend guard bowed.

"Thank you." Ron dismissed taking the letter and closing the door once more.

"Erica? There is a letter for you." Ron called.

"A letter?" She dusted her hands off as she approached him.

"From the Duke." Ron said as he handed it to her.

She gently broke the wax seal and removed the letter from the envelope revealing it contents. Her eyes gently raked over the neatly written words absorbing the information.

"What does it say?" Ron was impatient. His curiosity was beginning to get the better of him.

"It's an invitation." Erica softly said as she handed the letter over to Ron.

She seemed to be having mixed emotions over it.

She seemed overjoyed and excited to receive an extended invite to a prestigious ball from a highly admired and powerful family.

She had always wanted to attend as many balls as her sister Sibyl did, but she never received any invitations due to her exclusion and neglect from the Alvore family. No one knew who she was to even think of sending her one.

Even when Erica was younger, before she had lost her voice and was secluded to the east section of the estate, she never attended any balls or events hosted by any nobles other than her family's and when she did, she was never introduced to anyone or given the opportunity to make connections. The Countess had made sure of that.

She used to watch from the shadows every time Sibyl would receive an invitation. The letters were always decorated beautifully, but Sibyl never seemed bothered as she was quick to roughly rip the open and skim over the words rejecting any that did not catch her eye in the first five seconds.

When Erica was little, she was always envious that Sibyl would receive so many invitations when she would receive nothing. She used to ask the servants if there were any for her whenever Sibyl got one only to have her little heartbroken each and every time.

When she had gotten older, she had gotten used to the fact that invitations were not meant for her, but it sometimes still hurt whenever she would hear Sibyl purposefully boasting to the Countess about how wonderful some of the balls and other social events were.

Seeing the invitation that she had received now, Erica wanted to treasure it even if it was only an extended invitation and not a direct. It was still the first invitation that she had ever received.

It was in the Duke of Waisend's handwriting, but both he and the Duchess had signed it.

The Duchess would have written it herself, but she had incredibly untidy handwriting and insisted that her husband write it for she did not want to embarrass herself for such an important invitation.

Erica may have been delighted for the invitation, but she was also afraid.

She wanted to accept it, she wanted to go, but the risk was too high.

The Trencent ball was taking place in the capital meaning there would be a very high chance that the Alvore's would be there.

A family that she no longer belonged to.

A family that had hurt her and would hurt her again.

"I think you should go. It is a wonderful opportunity to get out there and enjoy the great wonders life has to offer or else you might just rot away in this little town." Ron gave a chuckled and placed his warm hand on her shoulder.

"I cannot..." Erica looked down ashamed.

"Why?" His tone was not pressuring her for answers but gentle.

"I..." Erica looked up, "I'm afraid."

"My dear child, there is nothing to be afraid of. The Waisend's have personally invited you, you will be under their guide and protection. No one can hurt you."

"But..." Erica looked down again, "they will be there..." her words were almost inaudible.

"Who? Who will be there?" Ron was concerned.

He hardly knew anything about Erica or where she had come from. This was the first clue he had ever directly received from her. Whatever lead to her arriving on his doorstep all battered and injured?

"My family."

Something about her tone felt very wrong.

"Were they the ones who did this to you?" Ron was almost afraid to ask.

There was silence.

That silence was the answer.

"Who are they?" Ron was trying his hardest to keep his anger reigned in so as not to burst and frighten the poor girl.

Again silence. Ron knew he would not get anything from the girl. He was lucky to have gotten this much from her.

He was frustrated that she would not tell him more, but he knew not to push her.

"It's okay. You are safe here. They will not hurt you."

Erica looked up at him grateful for everything he had done for her. Ron truly was a caring and kind old man. She owed him a lot. She did not want to make him worry or be burdensome to him.

"If you do not want to go to this ball, you do not need to. No one is forcing you. The Waisends will understand. However, if you do wish to go, I know they will protect you. The Waisends are good people. "

"Thank you." Erica expressed.

"Why don't you sleep on it before you decide?"

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

32.1M 909K 56
[WINNER OF BEST HISTORICAL FICTION STORY IN THE FICTION AWARDS] There is a story that has been whispered into ear after ear across many countries. It...
7.4K 826 39
With one leg and a large, cheerful charm, Hales Adams is as normal as any girl can be. She didn't care about the sympathetic looks she got as she wa...
1.3K 124 38
War. One act of violence tore families apart and sent royalty into hiding. Fleeing from the burning ruins of her home, Princess Katrina and her mothe...
720 66 25
Victoria Charlotte Levine, she's kind and very stubborn. Always getting her dresses dirty in the castle's gardens. Nicholas Alexander Griffin III, co...