A Silent Hope

By _Elle_James_

After being left on the doorsteps of an orphanage at age four, Thalia Davis spends most of her life there. Th... More

Alone
Heartbreak
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Epilogue

Chapter Eighteen

22.6K 1.4K 668
By _Elle_James_

Thalia

My still slumbering body turned only for my foot to hit something. With my eyes still closed, I felt around with that same foot. Whatever it was groaned and swatted at me, I kept feeling around.

"Stop kicking me."

I bolted up, half opened eyes squinted to see Kenzie there. We laid in opposite direction on the sofa, her head on one end and mine on the other. My legs were on her lap while hers hung off and touched the floor. The blanket was tossed somewhere because it wasn't on us anymore.

"Ugh, you're not supposed to be here." I shoved her with my feet, she didn't even move.

"My sofa." Kenzie grunted and closed her eyes again.

I was too tired to protest more than that so I laid down once again. We stayed up the entire night watching the Underworld series, only falling asleep early hours of the morning. It still rained outside, but only a little. Eventually my eyes shut again.

When I woke up, the blanket was tucked around me and I couldn't feel Kenzie at my feet. But I did hear movements close by along with the smell of coffee. I burrowed deeper into the cushions and fluffy blanket, more comfortable than I'd ever been.

When that thought entered my mind, I swiftly shot up to my feet. I threw the blanket back on the sofa, my chest rising and falling with mixed emotions. Too much, they came too fast and almost knocked the air out of my lungs.

"Thalia?"

I blinked and looked up, seeing Kenzie standing with a spatula in her hand while she wore a sports bra to cover her upper half. I could hear the sizzling of something frying and saw a stack of pancakes on the counter.

"What?"

"I made breakfast." She proudly gestured around her. "Good morning."

I wrapped my arms around myself, the soft fabric of her clothing warm and her scent high. "Good morning."

"You can use the bathroom to freshen up. I put a toothbrush for you..." She paused. "Do you want to shower?"

I shook my head. "I don't have underwear and neither do you."

Kenzie eyed my figure that she couldn't really see beneath her baggy clothes. "Your ass is bigger than mine. My boxers stretch."

I gasped and tried to look behind me. "No, it's not."

"You're thick." She grinned a big ass grin that was both annoying and endearing.

I scoffed and pointed at her front door, indicating to her little friend from last night. "Right, I forgot you're into...that. Afraid of some meat, Kenz?"

The spatula was not pointing at me with a smirk. "I love all women. Of all colour, shape and size." Then she smiled fully again. "You murdered her last night."

I gently swayed my body from side to side, remembering the way Daphne looked at me. She was judging my body and the fact that I wasn't slimmed down or that my stomach didn't display abs like hers did. I knew women like her, the ones who looked down on others because they thought they were better.

"Whatever." I muttered and went to her bedroom to get to the bathroom.

I brushed my teeth with the toothbrush left for me and washed my face. Smoothing out my hair with my hands, I stared at my reflection in the mirror. The lack of makeup showed the darkness under my eyes and dullness in said eyes. I only changed back into my jeans and kept Kenzie's hoodie on, it was warm, before going back out.

"I'm off today and the news said it's going to be raining most of the day." Kenzie spoke while I checked my phone.

"The gym is closed. Dwayne said something about a tree falling." I told her.

"All that wind last night." She placed a plate down and motioned for me to sit. "Do you.....maybe want to spend the day with me? It's not raining right now but it'll start up soon. We could go get whatever you need from your place and come back here. Watch those movies or something else. Whatever you want. I don't have anything to do. Unless you do. Do you? Have something to do?" She rubbed her forehead, a somewhat embarrassed look on her face.

I didn't answer yet, clenching my jaw to not smile. I could tell she was getting frustrated with my lack of words, but I enjoyed the flustered state. Caribbean blue eyes squinted, a cute frown accompanying the frustration.

Shrugging, I took a bite of pancake and slowly chewed. Kenzie frowned and I let the smile out. "Sure. I'd like that."

A breath of relief. "That's mean, Thalia. Making me stressed like that."

I smirked and continued to eat, having no clue as to why I agreed but knowing I didn't want to be alone. "Maybe you stress too easily?"

"Because of you." She mumbled beneath her breath and sat with a plate.

"Just an omelet?" I asked, trying to ignore her almost naked torso. So much skin was on display and so close.

"I like omelets. Makes me happy."

"Omelets make you happy?"

Sparkling eyes flickered to me. "Yes. What food makes you happy?"

My teeth scraped against the fork, I only did it to annoy her, before answering. "Pizza. Homemade pizza to be accurate. Miss Lauren used to make them." I fondly remembered the only person to ever show me an ounce of kindness in my younger years.

"Who's Miss Lauren?" Kenzie asked.

I hesitated, realizing the information I just willingly shared. I inhaled and held my breath, then slowly released it. "The lady in charge of the group home I was in."

The spark in her eyes dimmed a little and I felt guilt for being the reason for it. "Tell me about her."

Showing my surprise at the question for a second, I gave a small smile. "She was nice enough, I guess. Nicest over the others but not exactly warm. Always made sure I was fed. The bigger kids could get.....mean."

"Do you still keep contact?"

I shook my head, fork moving the food around on my plate. "She died a couple of months after I turned eighteen. Natural causes."

"I'm sorry."

"Why? You didn't kill her." I lifted a brow, aware of how cold my words sounded, yet not caring.

"...no. But, I'm sorry you lost someone who meant something to you."

"It's life." I casually said, sipping on the tea she made me. "Thanks for breakfast."

"Anytime."

After our breakfast, Kenzie took me back to my place. The sky showed the approaching rain, so we hurried. When the bike stopped, I got off and removed the helmet. I unlocked my front door and placed the helmet down. The taller woman followed behind me as I went into the bedroom, putting two changes of clothes and my work outfit for tomorrow just in case. I packed what I would need and then double checked.

I headed back out and found Tubby sitting where I left him on the old couch. Turning to where Kenzie stood with her usual smile, I blinked. She kept smiling, seemingly happy or excited. I briefly wondered how she portrayed so much positivity while I struggled to even move most days.

"Turn around." I blurted out.

"Why? Are you going to hit me?" She pouted.

"No, weirdo. Just turn around." When she did, I quickly snatched up Tubby and stuffed him in my backpack. "Okay, I'm ready."

"Got everything?"

"Yup."

~●~

"Open." I told Kenzie.

"No, you keep hitting my eyes." She mumbled as she tied her hair at the base of her neck.

I preferred them loose, swaying with each movement she made, but I kept that to myself. "Stop being a baby. Open."

She huffed but listened. I picked up another popcorn and aimed. I purposely missed again and this time it hit her nose. We'd been playing around since we got back, and I knew it was because of the weather outside. Kenzie was trying to distract me from the brewing storm. She didn't verbally say so, though I could tell.

"You're just trying to hurt me now."

"Yes, because popcorn is so dangerous." I rolled my eyes and threw another because I could.

"They are when you have them. Think the rain will clear up by tomorrow?" She dragged her butt and sat closer to me.

I faced her, one leg bent on the sofa and the other on the floor. I'd change back into her hoodie after my shower because it was warmer than anything I owned.  "Maybe. I hope so."

Leaning with her head to the backrest, Kenzie turned to me. "What did you need?"

I didn't give a reply.

"What's your number?" She asked then.

A smile played on my lips. "You want my phone number?"

"Uh huh." She retrieved her phone from her sweats and held it out to me. "Put it in. I can bother you at work too."

"What makes you think I want to be bothered more than I already am?" I asked while taking the phone and entering my phone number.

"You want to be bothered." Kenzie slouched down and spread her long legs, making a slapping sound as she repeatedly smashed them together.

I shut my eyes and laughed out, covering my mouth from doing it again. "Please stop that."

"Why?" She continued doing it.

My eyes kept going to it, another laugh bubbling. "It's jumping and it's really fucking weird."

"What's jumping?" She asked, watching her thighs smash together.

"Kenzie," I put my hand on her shoulder to gain her attention. "Your dick. You're wearing sweats and the movement is making your dick...move. Please, stop." I asked as I tried to keep a calm face, but I failed as she sat up.

Her hands covered herself. "Oh. Well, don't look at it."

"I wasn't. You started it." I giggled and reached forward to put her phone on the table. "Are you shy?"

"No," She removed her hands and my eyes fell to the bulge. "Look all you want."

I pushed my tongue against my cheek. "What's your number?"

"My phone-"

"No. Your other number."

Kenzie sighed. "I don't know. I lost count. Can I ask for yours?"

I propped my elbow on the backrest and shifted to get comfortable, fist to my head. "Five."

"That's not so bad." The woman stared ahead. "Mine is way higher."

"I want to ask you for something." I began. "It's up to you to accept or decline."

She sat up and faced me, intrigued. "I accept."

"You don't even know what it is."

A shake of her head as she moved closer. "I accept. What is it?"

I gripped her chin with my thumb and index finger, knowing the exact moment she held her breath. "I want you to kiss me."

"K-Kiss you. You want me to kiss you."

"Will you?"

Kenzie gulped and nodded, eyes falling to my lips. I could hear the pounding of the rain outside, the harsh wind making whistling noises so loud we could hear. I leaned in, she leaned in.

Her hands came to grab my hips just as I let mine fall from her chin to her chest. Kenzie's heart pounded beneath my palm but her eyes held something I couldn't place. Her breath hit my lips, we were close, I grew nervous.

"Are you sure?" I felt her thumb rub over her hoodie as the question was asked.

My skin still warmed at the touch. "Just kiss me."

Soft, plump, warm, her lips touched mine carefully. My mouth parted and moved in sync with hers, eyes tightly shut. It wasn't deep or wet or sloppy, but experimental, tender and sweet. The tip of her tongue touched mine when my lips allowed her in. Kenzie pulled my body closer and I wrapped my arms around her neck. Neither of us tried to further it, no one was felt up and no one chased for more with the kiss.

We were both panting when we broke it, foreheads touching. I steadied my breathing before leaning away, catching those sparkling eyes staring. Her thumb grazed over my lips, my eyes closing for a moment then reopened.

"Okay?" She whispered.

I nodded. "Thank you."

"For what?" Kenzie pressed a lingering kiss at the corner of my mouth, easily giving me some room after.

I let my gaze float over her face, paying extra attention to her mouth. "That was my first kiss."

Her eyes widened comically. "Really?" I nodded. "And was it okay? Did I...do okay?"

"You did great."

The woman's head bobbed. "Good. Great. Kisses are good. I can give you kisses. Anytime. Whenever you want."

I bit my lip to conceal the laugh of amusement. "Good to know."

-E

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

60.5K 2.3K 33
A childhood trauma left her chained in her own mind. Her existence felt hopeless, worthless. The outside world seemed scary yet tempting. She was sca...
3K 78 21
" I just feel so selfish..." I say as I cry, looking down. I feel two sets of arms wrapping around me, giving me warmth and love. "That's okay." "...
709 74 25
Kenna Hatfield was a child kicked out of high school during her freshman year over a dispute within which she should have disassociated herself. Stil...
2.8K 80 15
I LOVE CHEESY ROMANCE AND DRAMA!! ♡ Harper Sullivan was completely lost after walking in on her fiance and sister sleeping together. Not only did tha...