Welcome to the Chaos | Profil...

By SmokeAndOranges

Welcome to my profile! Add this book to your library for profile updates beyond what I announce: ❖ Progress... More

Chaos Lives Here
Dec 31, 2021: A Year in Review
Jan 1, 2022: Coming Up Next
Roundup: January 2022
Jan 21, 2022: No-NC This Year... Kind Of
Roundup: February 2022
Feb 2, 2022: N/ONC HYPE SQUAD
Roundup: March 2022
Mar 1, 2022: New Book, Who Dis?
Mar 25, 2022: A Cover Reveal (And Accompanying Drama)
Roundup: April 2022
Apr 1, 2022: Camp NaNo Let's Gooooooo!
Apr 17, 2022: Saying Goodbye to Stormrunner
Roundup: May 2022
Roundup: June 2022
Jun 1, 2022: So I Totally Didn't Start An Epic Or Anything; That Would Be Crazy
Roundup: July 2022
Jul 1, 2022: Elizabeth Made Me Do It
Roundup: August 2022
Roundup: September 2022
Sep 19, 2022: Practice Makes Progress
Roundup: October 2022
Oct 3, 2022: Five-Year Wattpad Anniversary Special: My Book Playlists
Oct 26, 2022: The Thing Nobody Ever Talks About in the Writing Community
Roundup: November 2022
Dec 3, 2022: Text-To-Speech and Pride in December
Roundup: December 2022
🏳️‍🌈 - Ideas For Creative Queer Representation In Fantasy
🏳️‍🌈 - Tricks For Writing They/Them Pronouns in Third Person
🏳️‍🌈 - The Strengths and Shortcomings of "Just Write A Person"
🏳️‍🌈 - When To Reveal That Your Character Is Queer
🏳️‍🌈 - Showing Queer Identity Without Labels
🏳️‍🌈 - 25 Steps For Writing Casual Rep (Both Queer and Otherwise)
🏳️‍🌈 - Writing An Identity I Struggle To Love (Because It's Mine)
Dec 31, 2022: A Year in Review
Jan 1, 2023: Coming Up Next
Roundup: February 2023
Roundup: May 2023
AMA / FAQ / Q&A / BBQ
Q1. How the #$%&@! do you write so fast?
Q2. How do you juggle multiple books?
Q3. What got you into writing?
Q4. What drew you to Dark Fantasy / Horror?
Q5. Do you want to be a professional author?
Q7. How do you deal with shiny new book ideas?
Q8. Do you track your stats?
Q9. How do you come up with titles?
Q10. How do you promote your books?
Q11. What's the story behind your username?
Q12. How did you develop your style of imagery?
Dec 31, 2023: A Year in Review
Jan 1, 2024: Coming Up Next
Apr 22, 2024: So, I'm Slowly Breaking Up With Wattpad

Q6. Do you make your own covers?

34 5 18
By SmokeAndOranges

Sub-Question:

How do you make your promo graphics?

I make almost all of my own covers, yes! The only one I haven't made myself is the cover for As the Crow Falls, which I commissioned—both because I wanted it to be extra pretty, and because the vibe I wanted for it was one I didn't have the tools or skills to achieve on my own.

I got hooked on graphic design about two years ago. It all started with a book-promotion graphic I had to make for my novella Dreamcatcher as part of a cross-promotion campaign... you can see how far my skills have come since then!

First graphic:

Latest graphic:

You can also see that the book had a very different cover back in the day. That cover was made with a gorgeous photo I found on the internet, because I didn't know any better at the time. It wasn't until I spent more time in writing communities that I learned most photos on the internet are copyright-restricted, and that pulling one off Pinterest—even if I couldn't track down the original artist with a thorough reverse-image search—was the artistic equivalent of an artist pulling a quote from one of my books and slapping it on their website to promote their artwork. Which is to say, copyright violation.

It's worth noting that I've been through several rounds of this. After updating a few of my covers way back in the day, I promptly forgot where I'd gotten some of the images, leading to another round of updates this past fall. Having a sieve for a brain is fun.

Anyway, this plus the effectiveness of using graphics for promotion plus the sheer fun of making pretty things got me hooked on graphic design. To this day, the website I use for cover-making and promo graphics is Canva (canva.com) together with a number of free-image sites (I'm partial to Unsplash and Pixabay) and a constellation of free online tools for things like snipping out photo elements, making transparent .png files, and grabbing hex codes from images. I get some fonts from other websites, too, though these need to be checked for copyright just like photos do. On rare occasions, I will also purchase photos. I use Shutterstock for that!

Promo graphics are another beast. I use another online tool for making cover mockups, and usually use a slightly blurred or darkened version of the cover's background image as a background for the graphic itself. For the text, I lean heavily towards quotes, together with a mention of the book's genre and subgenre, and (for off-platform promo) a mention that the book can be found for free on Wattpad. Quote selection is tricky. When making a new graphic, I scroll through the book in question, looking for any quote that a) gives a good sense of the book's vibe, b) prompts a question in the reader that might make them check out the blurb, and c) is short enough to fit on a promo graphic. Not an easy task, but worth it!

Graphic design is probably my biggest writing-related rabbit hole other than research, but it's paid off in the long run. Most of my book covers have been through numerous iterations. Some changes have come as I update them to versions with images I know for sure were free to use, which has been quite the project given how many books I have. However, my skills with graphic design have also continued to improve. I've almost maxed out against Canva's capabilities, which means I'll likely be graduating to Photoshop soon. For now, though, I remain quite pleased with what I've been able to do with strategic photo selection, photo alterations, layering, and colour cohesion... some of my cover timelapses are great fun to look back at.

I'll wrap up this answer here, but if anyone's interested in an example of my cover-making process, you can check out the March 25, 2022 update in this book. It tracks some of the thought that went into my latest cover for White Crystal Butterflies, and it's quite the saga. That was an eight-hour cover right there. Not that that's very unusual... I expect to spend at least four hours on any new cover of mine, 6+ is common, and that's not counting the hours spent finding images. Suffice to say, I get no writing done on those days. Whoops.

If you're a writer, do you make your own book covers? If not, where do you get them?

As a reader, what kinds of book covers catch your eye? 

What is one book cover you've seen (published or online) that you think is absolutely gorgeous?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.6K 514 40
"I gave him a week before he decided he wasn't going to come back. He already looked like a stiff breeze would blow him over. He wasn't built. He wa...
79.4K 2K 30
A little AU where Lucifer and Alastor secretly loves eachother and doesn't tell anyone about it, and also Alastor has a secret identity no one else k...
288 116 28
A beautiful island in the middle of the Caribbean. A wedding. Two wealthy families coming together. A day of bliss... but also a dark mystery. Ten ta...
270K 7.8K 133
"𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆'𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒏𝒐 𝒘𝒂𝒚 𝒐𝒇 𝒘𝒊𝒏𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒇 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒓 𝒆𝒚𝒆𝒔 𝒚𝒐𝒖'𝒍𝒍 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒃𝒆 𝒂 𝒅𝒖𝒎𝒃 𝒃𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆."