A Silent Hope

By _Elle_James_

After being left on the doorsteps of an orphanage at age four, Thalia Davis spends most of her life there. Th... More

Alone
Heartbreak
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Epilogue

Chapter Sixteen

20.7K 1.2K 304
By _Elle_James_

Mackenzie

"There you go." I knocked twice on the helmet after putting it on for Thalia, making her frown.

"I'm still having second thoughts about this." The woman grumbled as she eyed my bike wearily.

"Why? My baby's faithful." I patted the bike. "She's beautiful, huh?"

She watched me with hesitation, face still holding that frown. "That seat doesn't look safe."

"Sure it does." I answered quickly. "You're small." I swayed my hand from my height to hers. "See?"

"Are you calling me short?" Thalia sent me a scowl.

I bit my lip, shaking my head. "Not calling. Pointing it out. I'm tall, you're not."

She huffed out a laugh and landed a gentle punch to my arm. "If I die, I'll haunt you for eternity."

"No problem." I shrugged with as much nonchalance as I possibly could.

"And I don't just mean follow you around." A threatening finger stabbed my chest with each word she spoke. "I'm gonna switch out your sugar for salt. Everytime you try to watch your favorite movies, the power will go out. I'm gonna find the world's hottest pepper and put it in your hot sauce, and yeah, I know about your love for hot sauce. You'll be living on the damn toilet. Whenever you sleep, I'll make sure you have nightmares about Clifford and Garfield chasing after you. You won't be able to save yourself by climbing a tree, Kenzie." She muttered in a calm tone. "You'll have to put up with that for the rest of your life."

Images of a big red dog trying to reach me on top of a tree flitted through my mind. He would be able to get me up there to lick my face then chew it off. Then I envisioned a lazy cat chasing after me as though I was a lasagna, tearing me apart with its claws. I shivered. My ass would definitely burn from too much hot sauce. Salt in my coffee? No more Kate Beckinsale or Mila Jovovich?

I gulped nervously and breathed out a forced laugh. "I, uh, O-okay. Promise."

"Glad we're on the same page." She gave a firm nod, proud that she instilled fear in me.

I straddled the bike and then let her sit behind me. "Hold onto me." She gingerly wrapped her arms around my waist. "Tighter than that, Thal."

"Don't let me fall." Her hold almost suffocated me then.

"I won't." I chuckled but regretted it when she pinched my stomach. I whispered a small 'ouch' and waited for her to hold me again.

I drove slowly, allowing her to enjoy the cool evening breeze and freedom. We already decided to drive to an amusement park which was an hour and a half away in another town.

Thalia didn't relax fully until her feet were on the ground again. She was mumbling something about her heart beating unnecessarily fast, all because I was an adrenaline junkie. I smirked under my helmet as I came off the bike. I assisted her on taking off hers first and then mine.

I hung them on the handles and turned to her. "It wasn't that bad, was it?"

"Mhm. You get to keep your sugar for now." Crossed arms and pouting lips in a non pout.

I slipped my hands into my pockets, an attempt to keep them to myself rather than throwing one over her shoulder. We strolled into the amusement park set at the outskirts of Crestville, most likely the biggest and richest town I'd ever seen.

While Thalia was caught up looking at a passing clown, I sneakily paid for our tickets and tugged her along to not notice.

"I saw that." She murmured.

"No, you didn't. Where are we going first? Games or rides?" I pressed my hand to her lower back, moving her away from a crowd of teenagers as they practically stomped by.

"I don't know. Wherever."

"Nah ah." I waved a finger as I stood before her. "Where would you like to go?"

An annoyed look and sigh. "Bumper cars."

I almost squealed in pure joy, but I obviously didn't because I was a grown woman who had control. "Awesome."

We sat in our individual cars, joining the rest of the drivers. I went at it, bumping into any and every one I saw. I glimpsed Thalia to see her with a little smile as she drove around like a snail. I, of course, approached her.

"Don't! I just wanna drive in peace." She almost yelled at me.

I laughed evilly and drove into her bumper car, easy for now. "That's not how it works."

"I will hurt you if you don't go away." She warned.

I did believe her, but I couldn't care right then. "How you gonna do that from all the way over there? Can't touch this."

I proceeded to ram into the woman's bumper car until she had enough by the fifth. Thalia chased after me, even when I'd given up and went after the others. Whenever I looked back, there she was. I didn't mind it one bit, the carefree laughter and giggles were worth every jolt and hit.

We went on to try some rides, attempted a few games and ate more junk that we shouldn't have. My companion was surprisingly gifted at ring toss, being able to get all the bottles presented.

"Here."

I lowered my eyes to the stuffed bulldog. "You won it. It's yours."

Thalia narrowed her beautiful brown eyes, a silent threat. "It's...a thank you. For my birthday."

"Oh." I mumbled and immediately took the ugly thing. "Thank you. Even though your 'thank you' is scary to look at."

"It's cute."

I lifted it up to my face. "Sure. Cutely ugly little thing. Ferris wheel?"

I saw some apprehension. "Something else?"

I fluttered my eyes and gave my saddest look. "Please? It's dark enough to see lights and the lake."

The doubt was there, the fidgeting hands and wavering eyes. But, I wanted to go on the ferris wheel with her so she'd see the view. Thalia groaned, grabbing the lapels of my leather jacket and dragging me towards the guy taking tickets.

Clutching the ugly dog under my arm, I obediently followed. She gave our tickets and gestured for me to sit first. I sat, patting next to me for the doubting brunette.

The wheel moved so others would come on, taking us higher as it did. A strong grip made me look down to my arm, Thalia's nails digging into my jacket. I subtly, at least I hoped it was, scooted closer to offer comfort.

"It's not that bad. Relax."

"That's what you said about your death trap." She retorted.

"Don't hate on my baby." I frowned. "Unless you want me to move away."

The woman held me from scooting away, looping her arm through mine. "Don't. I'm afraid of heights."

"Hey, Thalia?" I whispered.

"What?"

"Look up."

She did, letting out a small gasp. In all honesty, it was a spectacular view. It was ordinary street and house lights, but somehow they appeared to be more. To our right, the lake rippled on for miles, the moonlight bouncing off the water. Simplicity, I appreciated it and hoped she did too.

"Worth the scare?" I asked as we came to a halt at the very top.

Lips curved upwards, brighter than the lights and more mesmerizing than the moon. "Worth the scare."

~●~

"See? Not so bad, is it? Spending time with me?" I fumbled with my helmet in my hands while walking up the three flights of stairs.

Thalia hummed, her own helmet hanging off of three fingers. "You're alright."

"I'm great. Awesome. Spectacular." I said to myself, but loud enough for her to hear.

"I don't doubt you, Kenz." She chuckled, humorously.

I paused mid step, grinning like a dork. "Did you just give my nickname a nickname?"

She ignored me and continued up, making me run after her. I unlocked my door and ushered her in, hurrying in before a certain neighbour appeared.

I grabbed both our helmets and placed them in the closet in the hallway. Thalia walked to the window, parting the curtains and silently staring out.

"I got tea and hot chocolate." I proudly said, taking out the contents and laying them on the counter. "Whatever you want."

"It's going to rain." She closed the curtains again and came to me, sitting on a stool. "Hot chocolate sounds great."

I prepared two mugs of the delicious beverage, plopping in mini marshmallows for us. "Here."

Thalia's closed fist pressed to her cheek, eyes watching me with a steady gaze. "Thank you."

"It's my pleasure." I sat beside her.

"I forgot your name." She started. 'That's why I started saying Kenzie and by the time I thought to check your info at the gym, it was too late. It would've been weird." Her cheeks reddened as she dipped her head down.

I took a minute to soak in the cuteness of it before speaking. "You can call me whatever. Most people call me Mac. Kenzie is fine too."

The room brightened with lighting, followed by the roar of thunder. I frowned at the sudden change in weather while my guest jumped. I got up to make sure my windows were secured throughout the apartment. I peeked outside to see the rain harshly pouring together with the wind blowing.

When I came back, Thalia seemed ready to leave. "I should go before it comes down more."

I blocked her way. "Sorry, it's already bad out there. Seems like you're staying here tonight."

She furrowed her brows and went to look for herself. "Fuck."

I chuckled, getting scared myself when more thunder rang out. "I'll make popcorn. We can watch Underworld."

"Wait, Kenzie-"

But it was too late, I was already excited.

-E

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.8M 98.9K 38
Highest ranking(s): #1 in pride #1 in les #1 in drama #1 in girlxgirl #2 in lesbian #4 in gxg #5 in lgbt (PART ONE OF TWO) Jennifer, a young and be...
2.5M 92.2K 32
Dawn, a girl in her early twenties living in a poor neighborhood with her sick mother and teenage brother. Her father has abandoned them for a rich w...
709 74 25
Kenna Hatfield was a child kicked out of high school during her freshman year over a dispute within which she should have disassociated herself. Stil...
229K 12.9K 55
Jordan Santos' life has never been easy and to her as the years went by it seemed to get harder and harder. She lost faith in people and life to the...