The Return

By NennyMay

WATTYS 2022 SHORTLIST PAPERBACK PUBLISHED ON AMAZON $17.99 A body is uncovered in an empty classroom at Lin... More

0.1
Copyright
Trigger Warning
Bookmap
Prologue
Part One
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Part Two
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Part Three
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
THE LINCOLN LANE CHRONICLES
Chapter Fifty Two
Epilogue
THANK YOU FOR READING
One Year Later
Glossary
Acknowledgements
About The Author
The Return is Published

Chapter Thirty Three

52 10 4
By NennyMay

Holly

Wednesday May 5th 2021.

It was the home people stared at during their morning jog and the kids walked quickly by during trick-or-treating. Everyone in Lincoln Lane Prep knew where the Leighton's lived. And oddly enough, Holly couldn't and wouldn't have been able to find it on her own. The empty street still held secrets of the horror, an inside joke, only the locals knew the home; a haunted house on West Madison Street.

The Leighton home wasn't haunted. Broken and falling apart and grieving maybe, but the farthest thing from haunted.

The porch light flickered overhead; the steps grumbled beneath their weight.

The evening rolled in like an unwelcome guest, a hollow breeze in its wake. Holly Steinfeld's loose curls whipped and flapped.

Kyle's fists thumped on the wooden door.

Cody crouched by the pavement, brought his camera up to his face. A click. A flash. He walked across the lawn and up the porch steps.

"What piqued your interest in the case?" Holly leaned against the wall.

A muscle flexed in Rowan's jaw. Her eyes narrowed as if thinking about it. "It all started when my mom got me all excited about going to Lincoln Lane Prep. I was finishing up middle school and all of a sudden my Dad comes back all brooding and tells me to look into other schools." She ventures over to the railing and leans her back on it, not once taking her eyes off the door. "I'm stubborn as a mule so, I follow him to work one day and I hear them talking about my school and the girl that killed herself."  

"That's tough," Kyle said.

Rowan dismissed his comment with a wave. "I started going over his files every Sunday night after dinner before bed."

"And you never got caught?" Cody prompted looking up from his latest masterpiece.

"Why do you think he installed the dumb security system? I thought I was one step ahead of him. Fell asleep one day with the papers beneath my pillow and he went nuts looking for them. I never fessed up, but he was convinced we were robbed."

"How did you get Malcolm Kent's address?" Heaven touched her temples with her fingers.

"Made him give it to me. Wasn't easy but it was the only way I could get my hands on it."

"So, he knows?" Kyle knocked again.

She nodded.

A latch clattered; a lock clicked.

"What is it?" The woman at the other end snapped.

Holly read about Jenna-Sue Leighton, the NICU nurse who lost her job shortly after her husband's arrest. In the article, Jenna-Sue looked younger, pale skin radiant, eyes glistening—a clear indication the picture was taken long before darkness befell the Leighton family.

The woman behind the door was broken and Holly didn't know how to put the pieces back.

"It's nice to meet you. Mrs. Leighton, my name is Rowan—"

The woman slammed the door in their face.

Rowan gasped and frowned as if she was expecting something different. "Rude."

Kyle knocked again.

The door opened. "I'm not interested in any fucking interview or story or whatever the hell you kids want. Now get the hell off my property before I call 9-1-1."

She banged the door shut.

Holly Steinfeld rubbed the space between her eyes. She could feel the knowing stares of neighbors, hear the soft sibilant whispers of pedestrians scurrying along. A part of her was curious to know how they intended to warp the story of the five kids who braved the Leighton property.

Holly squeezed between Kyle and Rowan and knocked.

No answer.

Again.

This time, the door pulled completely open. On the other end, Jenna-Sue- Leighton had a firearm cocked to the side in one hand. "Leave my daughter alone." The woman's voice cracked. "She's finally resting in peace. You are trespassing and..." The weapon shook violently in her hands. "And it is within my constitutional right to do whatever I deem necessary to protect my property." She had a cold look in her eyes. "Now, I'm going to count to ten you half dead freaks, get. Off. My. Fucking. Lawn."

She pointed the barrel onto the ground and pulled the trigger.

They had their arms raised over her head and scattered onto the curb; the woman retreated into her home and thumped her door shut.

"Now what?" Rowan had her hand on her chest.

Kyle had his hands over his ears.

Holly could still hear the bang of the gun; she could still see the hole it left on the wooden floorboard.

Her legs were shaking.

"Got any ideas?" Cody asked leaning against the car. He held Heaven as if she were going to disappear.

Kyle glanced between Rowan and Holly.

Adrenaline prickled her skin. She sat by the curb.

She was still trying to catch her breath. What if it ricocheted off the floor and hit one of them?

It wasn't likely, but what if?

She looked up at Kyle. He had a rough-around-the-edges look going in a pair of ripped sweats and a loose-fitting white V-neck. His eyes roamed the Leighton home. "I wonder which one was her room?"

She regarded the two-story that was like every other home on the block. She wanted to say the one by the left with the windows shut and the lights off. It was never mentioned in any of the articles or news channels.

"Think we could ask around?" Her voice was strange against her ears. She was on edge.

"I told you we should have gone to Malcolm's instead."

"I thought we could get the mother on our side, sue me," Heaven rolled her eyes.

"Which one did you say was his again?"

Rowan lifted a finger.

Holly got up and walked over. Ten houses down. He was tending to a garden.

"She can be a handful sometimes." The man pushed off his knees. "New to the neighborhood?"

"Something like that." Holly admired his work. From tulips and Muscari's to coneflowers and black-eyed Susan's.

He ripped off his gloves and tossed them on the disturbed soil.

"We're looking into the Leighton case."

He winced. "Touchy subject. No wonder she kicked you out like that."

She shrugged.

"Come inside, I'll make you guys a cup of coffee. I'm Malcolm, by the way, Malcolm Kent, the boyfriend from all the tabloids." Jackpot.

She waved Kyle, Rowan, Cody, and Heaven over.

He walked them into his living room.

The walls were a shade of green that made Holly feel comforted. And on them were awards, certificates, and pictures. Over the door were three hanging plants. The living room was cozy. The deep blue armchairs are a daring contrast to the grey-white couch and baby-blue and pink throw pillows. There was a foosball table where Holly supposed the dining table should be.

"Welcome to my humble abode," He gestured for them to take a seat. Kyle took up one of the armchairs. Rowan and Heaven were on the couch. Cody and Holly were fine standing. "Wanna tell me why you kids have the sudden urge to hash up old wounds?"

"We're not comfortable with how things are at Lincoln Lane," Holly said.

"Principal Jenkins is trying to silence the free press and we figured what better way to give the school a voice than giving the people some clarity on what really happened to Scarlett Leighton." Kyle crossed one leg over the other.

"Jenkins made principal?" Malcolm's eyes widened. "I thought for sure that dude would be fired."

Rowan shook her head. "So, are you going to help us or should we keep running through our list of potential allies till we find someone willing to change the narrative?"

"No, no, I want to help... It's... The story of Scarlett Leighton is a bumpy one. You sure you're up for it?"

They nodded.

He sat on the coffee table, his elbows on his knees. "It starts with a man you might know all too well, Nathan Pinbrough."

From detention?

Holly shuffled closer to the back of the couch. Her fingers curled into the fabric, enraged the police turned a blind eye to the colored girl who didn't just die in a desolate classroom but died over and over again each time her case was tossed aside.

"Shit." Kyle hissed beneath his breath. He was as startled as Holly.

"When did you find out?" Rowan asked, a tinge of resentment in her voice.

Nathan Pinbrough. Fairly new to the West Adams Street community. Snappy dresser, clean-shaven and charitable. Hardly a part of the social media scene, he clogged their minds with selective content that he knew would kick up a storm of dependence and affection for the English Teacher. He completely reinvented himself and slipped back into the life he destroyed with his own two hands.

"At her funeral," He trailed off. "He came up to me and he said he had to get it off his chest. They were having an affair for almost all of senior year."

Holly bristled.

"And you didn't suspect that she was cheating on you?" Cody walked around the couch and set his camera down on the coffee table.

He took a deep breath. "It wasn't like I was the best boyfriend. In a way, I blame myself. I pushed her to it."

Well shit.

Holly chewed on a cuticle. "What do you mean you pushed her to it?"

Malcolm turned to her; frown lines etched across his forehead.

"I tried to make her into something she wasn't."

"And you don't think he did it?" Kyle clenched his jaw. "Laced the cigarettes?"

Malcolm shook his head.

Heaven's expression hardened. "If only someone had seen the signs. She wouldn't be dead and we wouldn't have to be in your house."

"Pinbrough said he loved her and his marriage was on the rocks. Love doesn't put a person's life on the line. He heard the rumors."

Holly considered his words.

"And you thought they were nothing more than rumors." Rowan leaned forward agitated.

"She wasn't in a good place when she did what she did."

"Are you justifying her cheating?" Rowan tapped her feet on the carpet.

"Don't you get it? I used her to get that stupid plastic crown on prom night so I could add it to my essay to Yale. I made her the girl I knew would win prom queen."

Holly pursed her lips. "Did you love her?"

"I thought I did. I thought captain of the baseball team and cheer captain... Now that was an It couple." He paused. "And she was hot. Like out of my league, hot." He cleared his throat. "I was a douche bag. I let her go through hell when we were together. I am not proud to say it, but I hurt her physically and mentally."

"Hurt her how?" Kyle leaned forward in his seat.

"We all did. It was a night I wish I could forget, but it haunts me. What we did to her."

"What did you do?" Holly asked.

Malcolm pinched the bridge of his nose. He shook his head. "I can't remember." He lied.

"But you didn't..." Rowan trailed off.

"Would I really confess to a bunch of kids?"

"Touché." Rowan surrendered.

"You kids haven't considered the backlash, have you?" Malcolm changed the subject.

"No," Kyle said dormant like he didn't want to consider it.

"It's one thing to feel connected to a case for whatever reason, it's another to be ready to take on the news stations, the corrupt officials, and the enraged public that quite frankly, isn't ready for the truth."

They hadn't thought of what they were up against.

"I have been rejected from more universities than I've applied. I am on multiple black lists and can barely be seen in public without being stared at."

There was more at play than anyone was letting on. Holly's hands shook with nerves. She dared a look at Kyle and Rowan.

"We're not worried about our future. The real question is," She turned to Malcolm. "What the hell did you do to Scarlett Leighton?"

The velvet darkness of the night was lazy and spread a blackness that seemed intent on crushing Holly Steinfeld's resolve.

Holly leaned into the driver's window. She rested her forehead on the warm metal of the car door.

"Thanks again for the ride and... for sticking with me on this case, I know it's not ideal, but we're doing this for a reason."

Cody placed her shoulder bag on the porch and jogged down the driveway to the curb.

"Nonsense, I got you into this shit, you think I'm going to back out now when we're getting to the good parts?" Kyle said from behind the wheel. He had more to say but pressed his lips in a thin line.

Heaven climbed out of the backseat.

They could do this.

"See you around, Lawrence." Holly forced in a voice that didn't sound like her.

"Likewise, Steinfeld."

Holly watched him pull out of the curb and onto the street.

There was a long pause where Holly watched his car merge onto the intersection at the end of the street.

"Tell me we're doing the right thing, Heaven." Holly turned.

"We are." Heaven said, a hand on her tummy. Holly wondered what it felt like to have a whole human growing inside of her. What it was like to have a family inside her. Her decisions were no longer hers and hers alone. She had someone else that would feel the brunt of every mistake she made.

"Are you sure?" Holly slacked.

"One-hundred and five percent." Heaven smiled.

"How the hell are you that positive?" The corner of Holly's lips twitched. "You're the one about to tell them about their granddaughter."

"How do you know it's going to be a girl?"

"Twins intuition."

Heaven smiled.

"We both have a weight on our shoulder, Holly. And the only way we're going to get it off is by walking in there and speaking our truth."

Holly nodded and took tentative steps up the lawn and porch steps, Heaven not too far behind.

By the door, Holly caught her breath.

She didn't need to knock.

The door pulled open. Behind it stood a red-eyed Georgia Steinfeld whose arms like a popped umbrella widened.

Holly and Heaven walked into them. They were warm and felt like home. Like hope.

"We need to make some changes if this wedding is going to take place." Holly said into her mother's chest.

Georgia rested her chin on the top of Holly's head.

"We will make all the changes you want, My daughters. As long as it means your father and I are there for you."

And that was when the first of many tears slid down Holly's cheek.

Holly Steinfeld had regrets. Vile memories blurred her mind and sat like a weight in her gut.

It was easier to pretend. Fake it till she made it.

"I want us to make this work." Holly tucked a lock of hair behind her ear and regarded Heaven on the couch. "We both do."

"But we can't do that if the two of you aren't willing to think farther than the big backyard wedding." Heaven said.

Vaughn looked like he wanted to interject but bit his tongue. Leaning against the stairs, he was tired. No doubt from pouring all his energy and time into the gazebo.

She was yet to see the finished work.

"You thought it would be easier on us if the both of you stopped the fighting and split up. It wasn't. It broke us. Because not only were we separated, we had to learn to live in a single parent household." Holly said, her free hand wiping her warm cheeks.

"And all of a sudden you want us to go back to what we were before as if we can blindly trust that the both of you wouldn't make the same mistakes again?" Heaven grumbled.

"Things have changed. We have changed." Who was Holly kidding? She was unraveling. The truth was a bitter pill. She was a hostage, bound by the reality that became her. She was that girl. The one trapped in the past unable to let go of the grief she fostered for a family that wanted to give themselves another try.

She needed to sit down. It felt like her legs would give out. She walked up to the couch and curled up next to Heaven.

"We can fix it, whatever it is." Georgia said. Her voice was soft. She expectantly at her daughters.

The charged silence felt like it ran for an eternity.

"Wanna fix things," Heaven rose an eyebrow. "I'm pregnant—"

"ọbara Jizọs." Georgia had her hands on her head. "Pregnant ke?" Confrontation and accusation clawed their way into her tone.

"And I'm reopening a murder investigation."

"Umuaka ndia agaghi egbum oo."

Holly felt the full weight of her decision slam into her body.

"Common divorce, you went to carry belle, Addana... And Adaora, are you mad? Whose case do you think you're investigating?"

Holly tried to take heart in the fact that the woman's cold-hearted concern was from a place of love.

"You wanted to fix things, didn't you?" Heaven shot to her feet. "Or what? Did you think you could make your mistakes and not bear the consequences? The both of you want to bring this family back together, we're on board, but we've got baggage and you can be mature about it or call off the fucking wedding."

This wasn't the shy Heaven Steinfeld Holly left behind all those years ago.

"We're not calling anything off." Vaughn said. He walked to the living room and sat on the arm of the couch. Hands steepled on his lap. "Your mother is in shock." He spoke slowly as if he wasn't sure. "What we're meant to be doing is apologizing for pushing you into this position rather than judging." He took long slow breaths. "We're going to make this work, your... pregnancy, and your... investigation." Holly couldn't imagine what he felt. "We failed you the first time. I failed you the day I looked at any other woman that wasn't your mother. And it's about time I make it right."

He got up and down on one knee. "I already have your mother's permission to move forward with this wedding." He looked at Georgia, then back at Heaven and Holly. "And I didn't bother to ask everyone involved. And I should have. I should have bought you girls flowers and showed you that I'm not the same man I was three years ago. And I don't ever want to be that man." He took both their hands in his large callous ones. "I've had time to think, to miss seeing my two beautiful daughters together in a room. Even if nothing is the same. I'm not doing this so we can go back to what we were. I'm doing this to make us..." He struggled for the words. "Better, stronger. To make sure nothing takes us back to what happened three years ago."

The knot in Holly's stomach loosened.

For the first time in a long time, she trusted him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45.8K 4.3K 59
Everyone deserves to live a life they aren't trying to escape. *It gets better as you read on. This is my first book, so be gentle on me πŸ˜‰ *There wi...
Daniella Rose By Lexi

Mystery / Thriller

5.9K 506 50
In the quaint cottage town of Red Grove, Daniella 'Rose' Elliott longs to escape her miserable life and pursue a brighter future. Yet, her dreams are...
1K 380 21
Fourteen-year-old Yemisi's life takes a dark turn when she finds herself entangled in a murder case that sends shockwaves through her school. The vic...