[Career Series #5]: The Elect...

By Dimli_

[Career Series #5]: Catria Lionne Montagne Mariano takes pride in being the daughter of a famous senator and... More

The Electric Spark
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 23

252 6 0
By Dimli_

I'm the only one... That sounded nice.

It was nice to know that I'm someone's only one because to my parents, it was me and the people that they work with. To my grandfather, it was just Hunter and Hailey. To the public, it was just Hailey. In ballet, it was the other ballerinas before me.

But to Matt, I was the only one.

"Natahimik ka," Matt said and looked into my eyes.

"Uh... I'm the only one?" I asked and smiled awkwardly. "That's nice to know."

His forehead creased. "Ikaw lang naman talaga. Lagi ko namang sinasabi 'yon sa'yo."

"I know that... It's just... I like hearing it again and again, it always feels new to me." I chuckled. "Maybe because I always have to share everyone important to me, so knowing that I don't have to share you with anyone makes me feel relieved."

He smiled and patted my cheek. "Hindi mo magiging problema 'yon sa akin."

We continued watching the awarding ceremony. It was my first time watching a program like this, it was interesting but the sound system was irritating because there were unnecessary sounds that come out of it while the speaker was talking.

"Ayan na 'yong category niyo, Matt," Jas said and smiled. "Nasaan na si Axel?"

"Kasama ni Axel 'yong mga ibang kasama sa competition," Matt said and shrugged.

"Bakit hindi ka pa pumunta roon? Baka matawag na kayo," Jas said while he had a frown on his face.

"Samahan ko lang 'to si Cat, tatakbuhin ko na lang kung matatawag man kami," Matt said and he chuckled.

"Imposible naman na hindi kayo matatawag! Ang ganda kaya noong project niyo, masyadong ginalingan din kasi ni Axel," Daph butted in.

"Maganda rin 'yong ipinasa noong science high school parehas sa group pati sa individual," Matt said and sighed before he intertwined his pinky with my pinky.

"Maganda nga raw, kinakabahan nga rin si Braden sabi niya sa akin kanina." Daphne gave Jas a teasing smile. "But I trust my babe, he'll win it."

Jas gasped and slapped Daphne's arm. "Malandi ka talaga! Mang-iinggit ka pa!"

"First Place for the Group Robotics Competition, Junior High Category is Faustino Institute of Science and Technology!" the speaker said.

Matt kissed my forehead. "Babalik ako," he said before walking to the stage. I don't get how Matt is able to keep his cool whenever he wins something or whenever he plays football.

Axel followed him while carrying their huge display board that was made up of 2 ½ illustration boards that were taped together.

They were joined by their robotics adviser on stage and they were awarded a medal and a certificate. Axel was grinning from ear to ear while Matt had a small smile that was only there for the sake of the pictures.

After coming down from the stage, Matt went to me and I hugged him tightly.

"Congrats!" I said. I knew how much work he and Axel put into that and they were both so dedicated to finishing and perfecting coding their project so they really deserved that award.

"Thank you for always being present," Matt said and hugged me back.

I just smiled and buried my face in his shoulder to suppress the happiness that I'm feeling. I never knew that my presence can be a big deal to someone.

The months went by quickly and I didn't even notice it because I was busy with my academics and our company because I'm trying my best to help with everything that I have and know. I cannot miss any opportunity when it comes to the empire.

"Mom, can I go to Matt's gig on Saturday?" I asked while I was arranging some papers inside her office. I've been helping in the company's marketing sector and finance sector because I have basic knowledge of those things.

"Gig? Where?" she asked with a stern voice.

"It's a place called AV Gardens, there's a café where Matt and his other friends perform from time to time," I explained to her because she might get the wrong idea.

Her eyebrow raised. "Not a bar?"

I shook my head. "Of course, not. Matt isn't like that, mom."

Mom just shrugged and turned her attention to the pile of papers that were on her desk without answering my question.

"So..." I trailed because I needed an answer immediately. "I'll bring my bodyguards with me."

"Okay, do what you want just don't go home too late." Mom sighed in defeat. "Just be sure that you would look your best for Madam Cantabria's Tea Charity Event on Sunday."

"Don't worry, mom, I'll still look good in that red dress that you bought for me," I assured her because I really need to look my best for that party. Madam Cantabria's annual Tea Charity Event is a highlight each year because of all the guests that attend her parties.

"Good, your grandfather was invited to that party so show him that you can interact with the people that he needs to be connected to. That's the thing that Hunter did not do for your grandfather so it would be better if he sees you interacting with Andres," mom said and smiled sweetly.

"Don't worry, mom, I'm friends with the Cantabria siblings so that's going to be easy." I chuckled and went back to what I was doing but I noticed a document that wasn't on the list and it had a confidential label on it. "Mom, what's this?"

Mom's eyes widened before she stood up and snatched the folder from my hand immediately. "This is one of the documents that your grandfather entrusted to me and no one knows that I have it. So never mention this to anyone, okay?"

I shrugged and continued arranging the papers that were on my mini desk. Mom walked back to her desk and kept the folder in one of her drawers. I wanted to ask what was inside that folder but I decided against it because I knew how mom could be when it came to confidential documents about our company.

"What will I do with this, mom?" I asked after arranging and categorizing the papers.

Mom called on her secretary and started instructing her where each group should be taken. Mom had this intimidating aura around her so I just sat quietly while watching how she was tormenting—I mean, giving orders to her secretary.

"Mom, I'll bring these to grandfather," I said and pointed at the stack of three folders that mom's secretary was about to bring to grandfather's office.

Mom's secretary sighed in relief and smiled at me.

Mom waved her hand without looking at me. "Go ahead."

I carried the folders and made my way to grandpa's office. I looked to the side and Hailey was there writing something with a fountain pen that was usually used by our grandfather and Hunter. I rolled my eyes before making my way to grandpa's secretary.

"Is it okay to come inside? I have some papers from my mom's office that need grandpa's immediate attention," I said.

Grandpa's secretary smiled at me and motioned for me to come inside grandpa's office. I made my way in front of grandpa's door and took a deep breath before opening it.

As I opened the door, I saw my grandfather thrashing papers and they all fell on the floor. I just blinked because I never thought of my grandfather as someone violent or someone who would lose his temper, only Hunter can test his temper... but there he was. He massaged his temples before he looked at me.

I just ignored what I saw and walked toward him. "Good day, grandfather. Mom sent me to give you these documents."

He just nodded and sighed. "Thank you, Catria," he said before reading the papers.

I smiled and picked up the papers that grandpa thrashed earlier because the mess was bothersome and I couldn't stop myself from cleaning up. I was able to get a glimpse of what grandpa was reading but it all didn't make sense to me because they were mostly just profiles about people.

He was reading about someone named Maria Lucinda Van Treese-Milford, she looked like someone I know but I couldn't pinpoint who it was. There were other profiles about other people who have Van Treese as their last name. I was about to pick up another paper but grandpa called me.

"Leave those papers alone, Catria, Alfred will pick that up," grandpa said.

I just stacked the papers that were already in my hand neatly and placed them on grandpa's side. "I just can't help cleaning up, grandpa."

"It's fine. You may leave now, Catria," he said nonchalantly and waved his hand as if he really wanted to me leave.

I pursed my lips and just nodded before walking out of his office. I sighed and walked back to my mom's office, I shouldn't be disappointed because I'm used to this. The only important thing is that he sees me on rare occasions and that he knows that I exist.

He still gives me gifts on my birthdays and Christmas. He also gives me my monthly allowance, so I still have value for him.

I felt dejected as I finished all the tasks that mom assigned to me and until we got home my emotions didn't change. My mood only lightened up when Matt said that he'll visit me.

"How's your cramming going?" I asked because it was cramming season for him and his other athlete friends.

"Patapos naman na, hinahabol lang 'yong ibang activities para magawa na namin next week at hindi na umabot sa exam," he answered and smiled at me. "Kapagod, buti na lang Christmas season na, wala kaming training."

I pouted. "But you'll leave for Cebu after your Christmas Party."

He chuckled and caressed my hair. "Saglit lang naman kami doon, baka nga hanggang 26 lang kami kasi may trabaho si mommy sa 27."

"Oh, tita is handling another case again?" I asked because tita had been handling a lot of high-profile cases recently and I know that her most recent case just finished last month.

Matt nodded and just shrugged because he wasn't really the type that would always ask tita about her cases.

I rolled my eyes jokingly. "Are you really that uninterested in tita's job?"

Matt shook his head. "Hindi naman sa ganoon... Hindi ko lang kasi nakikita 'yong sarili ko nakikipag-argue for a living kaya hindi rin ako masyadong nagtatanong kay mommy. Hindi katulad ng trabaho ni daddy na nakikita ko 'yong sarili ko na ganoon din ginagawa ko pagkatapos ko ng college."

I nodded because I understood where he was coming from. Matt is the type of person who would pursue the things that he wanted to pursue and he won't force things that aren't for him... and being an attorney wasn't for him. Unlike me, I can adjust what I want based on my needs and the things that I wanted to achieve.

I guess that's the reason why Matt and I clicked because we can adjust to each other but we also have our differences.

"Kumusta na nga pala 'yong araw mo?" Matt asked me.

"Same old disappointment..." I trailed. "I mean, I shouldn't feel this way anymore because I'm used to it but I can't help myself. I feel like I'm just being dramatic about it because I should be used to it but—"

"Your feelings are valid, Cat." He held my hand and smiled. "Syempre madi-disappoint ka kasi nag-iisip ka pa rin na baka may magbago, ayos lang naman 'yon. 'Wag mo i-invalidate 'yong nararamdaman mo dahil feeling mo dapat sanay ka na sa pagtatrato niya sa'yo."

I sighed out of frustration. "I want to stop pleasing him and forcing myself to do all of these for the family but I know that if I stop, I'll lose more than I'll gain."

Matt's forehead creased. "Choosing to do the things that you want to do without considering what other people will say will give you a free life. Being free means that you'll be happier."

"But how will I know that? How will I know that my happiness would last? How will I know if I'm totally free to do whatever I want?" I asked him because I know that in order to get the things that I want, I need to have the power that the empire could give me.

Matt just sighed and shrugged. "Hindi ko rin alam... Pero ang sabi kasi nila, do what makes you happy."

"Isn't that just short-term happiness?" I smiled. "If I gave up on fighting for the empire and chose to just not care, I would lose that forever. It's not worth it because that empire will secure me in every aspect of my life. It will prevent the stress of not being powerful enough to have the things that I want. This is me securing something that will be helpful in the future."

He took a deep breath and nodded. "I understand, Cat. Gawin mo ang gusto mong gawin basta nandito lang ako. Susubukan ko na bawasan 'yong disappointment palagi."

I smiled at him. "Thank you."

Matt is always around and he was already enough to keep me happy while I fight for that empire to be mine.

As the days went by, I continued doing my work for the Montagne Empire. The good thing about working in a huge company is that I don't get to see my cousins that often because they're in other parts of the building. Hailey just stays inside Hunter's office while Phil and Louis only come to the empire when they're asking grandpa for money.

"Miss Callie, dito lang po ba kami sa sasakyan o sasamahan ka po namin sa loob?" my bodyguard asked when the driver parked my car. We were in the parking lot of AV Garden because of Matt's gig.

"There's a restaurant in front of the cafe where I'll be staying. Just stay there," I said because I didn't want them to stay too far from me but I also didn't want them to stay too close. Matt also said that the café will be packed because of the open mic after their gig so they can't stay inside the café.

"Sige po, miss Callie," they said.

I went out of the car and Matt walked toward me. It seemed like he was waiting for me because he was seated on one of the benches that were inside the parking lot.

He waved at my bodyguards before we walked toward the café and it was really packed with students. Most of them are Matt's schoolmates and batchmates.

"Callie, hi!" Blair greeted me and waved. She was seated beside a girl that I have not seen before.

I just smiled at Blair and waved back. Axel stood up and gave me his seat that was beside Matty.

"By the way, this is my cousin Zirconia," Blair said and smiled. "She's Callie, Matt's... Uh... best friend but more than that?" She chuckled awkwardly.

"A relationship without a label, I get it. Daphne explained those things to me before," Zia said and chuckled. She really does have an Australian accent.

I smiled and held out my hand. "I'm Matt's almost, but not quite."

Zia smiled and accepted my hand. "Nice to meet you." I think she doesn't know that I'm a Montagne or she doesn't care.

Matt scoffed. "Basta special. Alam niyo na 'yon."

Blair sighed. "All these things are so confusing even to me."

Blair and Zirconia were seated in front of me so I was able to look at them while they converse with each other. They both look like the woman in the profile that grandpa was reading, I forgot her name. All I remember was her middle name which was Van Treese.

I just shrugged it off because maybe they just look alike. Blair and Zirconia both look like they have foreign blood so maybe that was the reason why they look like the girl in the profile.

Matt, Julian, Axel, Blair, and Ella were called on stage so I was left with Daphne, Jas, Zirconia, Ethan, Crystal, and Daphne's boyfriend.

"Good evening, everyone," Blair said through the microphone and smiled sweetly at everyone. "Our first song is More Than Friends by Jason Mraz and Meghan Trainor. It is actually requested by Matt and he wants to dedicate this song to his special someone, Callie, who's sitting right there with our other friends. So I hope that everyone enjoys this song, especially Callie."

My heartbeat was racing as I looked at Matt who was also looking at me intently. I gave him a sweet smile so he would know that I like what they were doing.

Julian and Blair started strumming on their guitars. Julian sang the first verse and when he started singing the chorus, the other instruments started playing too. Then, Blair also sang the second verse. While all of that was happening, I just watched Matt the whole time because of how good he looked while playing the bass.

The audience started clapping in sync with the beat so I did the same. I cannot deny that they were good and their vocalists really have great voices, I wonder why they're not trying to join competitions on TV because they're really that good.

After singing all their songs, they went back to our table and Matt sat on his seat beside me.

"Nagustuhan mo ba 'yong kanta?" he asked me.

I nodded. "It would have been better if you sang the song though."

He chuckled. "Kakantahan kita sa susunod para tayong dalawa lang. Gusto ko ikaw lang makakarinig kapag kumanta ako."

I pursed my lips to suppress my smile. The thought of Matt singing for me and only me played inside my head. "When will that happen?"

Matt shrugged while still smiling. "Hindi ko pa alam pero tignan natin."

"I'll wait for that."

The next day, Matt was left for Cebu so I was forced to get ready for Madam Cantabria's Event on my own. I didn't even contact Matt because I was sure as hell that his relatives were keeping him busy so I didn't want to disturb him.

As much as I want to disturb Matt and just talk to him, I stopped myself because I heard that guys didn't like it when girls get too clingy. I'll just wait for Matt to text me first.

I just put on the dress that mom got for me and went with them to the charity event. It was a day party and the theme was like a tea party but with more guests.

I was seated next to Andres and our table was specifically for people our age so it was slightly rowdy and it was draining to talk to other people. I wanted to leave but I couldn't think of a valid excuse to leave.

My phone vibrated and when I saw that Matt texted me, I opened the message immediately.

From: Matty

Nakarating na kami sa bahay namin sa Cebu. Nakakapagod ang byahe.

To: Matty

Get some rest. Your relatives will probably tire you more later, right?

From: Matty

Oo pero mamaya na ako magpapahinga. Baka kailangan mo ng kausap.

To: Matty

No. Get some rest, I can manage. I'll text you when I get home.

From: Matty

Sure ka?

To: Matty

Yes! Now, sleep!

From: Matty

Okay. Text or tawagan mo ako kapag may kailangan ka kahit kausap.

To: Matty

Yes! Rest well.

"Are you bored?" Andres asked me and laughed. "Because same."

"I attended a gig last night so I'm really sleepy right now."

"A gig? Like in a bar with a live band?" He seemed amused with that idea.

"In a café, my best friend played with his band last night." I was proud of Matt that he has a band and he plays with them in front of the crowd so I can't help but mention that.

"Interesting... I should look for a gig while I'm staying for vacation."

When the party ended, I was so eager to go home and text Matt but when I opened my social media account, a lot of people were tagging, mentioning, and even messaging me.

My heartbeat raced as I checked my notification and there was a photo that was posted by a gossip outlet and it was tagged to me and Andres with a caption, "Love in the making."

It was just a photo of us talking but a picture can form a thousand out-of-context ideas to malicious minds.

My lips parted because of all the mixed comments. Some people think that Andres and I look good together while others were pissed at me because they like Andres. There were also some news outlets that shared our picture.

I texted Matt immediately because I know that the photo with that caption looked bad. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

344K 6.1K 44
Amara Liliana Callisto, an easy going lucky girl who just goes with the flow. But due to stress in her academics, she went back to the Philippines to...
5.5K 220 44
She has high dreams to achieve but she likes to run from the reality. She was the quiet one. She looked like she doesn't care around her surroundings...
229K 13K 27
It all started when rookie setter Seb Angeles misset the ball causing injury to their team's opposite hitter, Nico Almojer.
2.5M 162K 55
As far as she remembers, she's the obsessed one. Laila does some crazy things while secretly fangirling over the campus semi-cal cutie, Asher James P...