Drumbeats into My Heart

By Zoe_Blessing

A sheltered honor student must overcome his anxiety and esteem issues to win the heart of a charming street p... More

1. Seth the Errand Boy
2. Jordi the Drummer Girl
3. Seth, Avocados, and Girls
4. Jordi Fights Memories
5. Seth Appreciates Music
6. Jordi and Her New Fan
7. Seth vs Mommy Issues
8. Jordi vs Disappointment
9. Seth the Weak
10. Jordi Avoids a Topic
11. Seth has a Revelation
12. Jordi and the Good Day
13. Seth Wants to Drive
14. Jordi on a Hot Day
15. Seth Finds Courage
16. Jordi and the Ex
17. Seth's Best Friend
18. Jordi at the Diner
19. Seth Hates Phone Calls
20. Jordi Calls a Friend
21. Seth Goes to a Car Wash
22. Jordi Does a Favor
23. Seth Can Hardly Believe It
24. Jordi Talks Star Trek
25. Seth's Outburst
26. Jordi Gets a Visitor
27. Seth Shares a Song
28. Jordi the Therapist
29. Seth's Confrontation
30. Jordi's Bestie
31. Seth Gets Ice Cream
32. Jordi Fights Jealousy
33. Seth Senses Something Off
34. Jordi's Mistake
35. Seth Floats
36. Jordi vs Internet Cats
37. Seth Asks a Question
38. Jordi Gets a Poop Emoji
39. Seth Becomes a Drummer
40. Jordi and the Awesome Day
41. Seth Walks on Air
42. Jordi Receives a Dedication
43. Seth's Discovery
44. Jordi Prepares for a Birthday
45. Seth's Birthday
46. Jordi and the Ill-Fated Party
47. Seth, Deeper in the Hole
49. Seth and the Memory
50. Jordi Looks for Comfort
51. Seth Gets a Talk
52. Jordi at the Boardwalk
53. Seth and the Morning After
54. Jordi Thinks Hard
55. Seth's Gifts
56. Jordi is Honest
57. Seth Might Be Turning into His Mother
58. Jordi Avoids Calls
59. Seth Improves
60. Jordi Gets Closer to Dad
61. Seth Curates a Playlist
62. Jordi Isn't Sure
63. Seth has a Real Conversation
64. Jordi Listens
65. Seth and the Troll
66. Jordi Runs
67. Seth the Basket Case
68. Jordi Wants a Do-Over
69. Seth Finds Comfort
70. Jordi Thinks About Hairless Cats
71. Seth is Wonderful
72. Jordi's Fresh Start
Important Note on Dyslexia
Copyright

48. Jordi, Upset

42 17 2
By Zoe_Blessing

"You okay?" Winnie stops at a red light and appraises me.

I'm barely holding it together. I never expected Seth to betray me like that. Never!

I stare hard at the window display of a bookstore featuring self-help guides, willing the flood of tears to stay back. "I'm fine."

"Wow, if that's fine, I'd hate to see what upset looks like."

I glare at her. I feel sick inside, the half burger I'd eaten threatening to resurface. I open the window and close my eyes as the car eases forward again, sending a gentle breeze against my hot face. When the car stops again, I open my eyes and find ourselves in the parking lot of a small dog park.

Winnie unclips her seat belt and rotates to face me. "I haven't seen you this bad since Mrs. McNally made you fill a chalkboard with I will pay attention in class."

I give her a watery smile. That was an awful day, but things were simpler in fourth grade. People didn't expect much from me back then. "I just got blindsided, that's all."

"I can't believe he said that in front of everyone. That was so wrong."

I nod and drop my gaze to my lap. How could he? In front of his mother? His mother who prizes good grades over psychological health.

The snarling of two aggressive dogs draws our attention, and we watch the dog owners pull them apart.

"Jordi..." Winnie pauses, glancing at me before drawing her thin brows together in thought. She doesn't continue.

"What is it?"

She sighs like she doesn't want to say what she's about to say.

Which puts me on edge, because maybe I don't want to hear it.

"Could there be something to what Seth was saying?" she finally asks.

Dread seeps into my chest. The last thing I need is for my best friend to think I'm an idiot. I meet Winnie's hesitant gaze. "What are you implying?"

She seems to read my expression and leans back a fraction. "I'm not implying anything. It's just... what if a learning disability explains... you know, a few things?"

First Seth, and now Winnie. I feel like I've been punched in the gut. "You think I'm stupid, too." My voice is an agonized whisper.

"What? No! And neither does Seth! Jordi, you are so not stupid. All I'm saying is—"

"I'm mentally disabled. I get it."

"Oh my god, Jordi, you sound like a martyr."

"Aren't you surprised I know what a martyr is?"

Winnie ignores me. "I care about you, and if something can explain why you struggle in school, then I think it's worth looking into."

"Not everyone can be geniuses like you and Seth."

"Seriously? Are we back to that again?"

I droop and stare out the window, watching a fat puppy fight with its leash.

Awkward moments pass.

I don't know what else to say.

Finally, Winnie suggests in a gentle voice, "I think taking the test is a good idea. Because then you'll know for sure."

I pull my gaze away from the puppy, regarding her with troubled eyes. "What if I'm not dyslexic?" Then I get to know for sure I really am dumb as a tree stump.

Winnie sighs again, looking back out to the park where a Border Collie is chasing a Frisbee. "But what if you are?"

Sometimes the toughest part is getting out of our way. Makes voting easier too. ;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

788K 44K 34
[2022 Wattys Winner] When love cynic Madison Watson starts university, she vows to follow three simple rules. One: Work out at least twice a wee...
109K 3.3K 69
MATURE CONTENT Enter at your own risk.... "I'm not expecting declarations of love, nor anything much, really. Hell, I don't even know if I want a re...
143K 5.6K 60
**** COMPLETE **** This novel centers around Faith, a young black woman in her early 20s that's given up on the thought of love. That is until she fi...
1.9M 106K 40
When college student Emmy joins an online support group at the encouragement of her therapist, the last thing she expects is to connect with the lead...