The Collector

By tellie1

Emily Shallow's deceased parents had left her a letter. It told her about a place her father had worked at an... More

1
2
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13

3

23 0 0
By tellie1

Sitting on the couch, in the room where they came in. Emma and 9 men sat and watched each other intently, she only met six of them and only knew one of their "names". The area they sat in was probably the living room/ dining room/ kitchen because there was a medium sized round metal table near the front- and kitchen door, that also had a window where they could past to get food.

The couch she sat on was shared with the man named Scout and another with a gas mask. It was turned away from the TV facing the middle where some of the other men had grabbed chairs from the dining table, others standing, creating a half circle around her. Holding her duffle bag, she had no idea who was going to talk first and whether she should just keep her mouth shut. Finally breaking the silence, the Texan spoke, "Everyone this is Miss Emily Shallow." Pointing his gloved hand towards her she only smiled awkwardly and waved. "Miss Shallow Ah would like ya ta meet the RED team. Ah'm Engineer that on your right is Scout and to your left Pyro." "Hey sweet cheeks, we met before." Sticking his right hand out she hesitantly shook it, not hearing anything from Pyro. "Than there is Heavy, Soldier, Spy, Medic and Sniper, ya met them earlier." Looking at the men she met before, the man named Heavy was the man she bumped into before she got shot and then tackled. It also made more sense why the Frenchman wore a balaclava. "Then there's Demoman." Looking at the one-eyed snoring man with a bottle of alcohol in his arms she hummed, acknowledging everyone in the room.

Choosing her words carefully she spoke softly, "That's great and all but what does this place have to do with my father?" "Your fayther was the previous engineer, that is how he knew where we were. But we can't figure out why he sent ya here. Do ya?" Thinking it over she had no idea herself, her father merely suggested to come here and use her skills. It was all her idea to come and in reality, she had nowhere else to go and this was her last and maybe not best option. "I don't know, he said that I would be safe here and that I could probably use my talents." 'Not the full story.' "What are youah talents?" The Bostonian piped in turning his body to look at her better, he was the only one that showed interest and was friendly. "Well, that depends, what is it you people do here anyway?"

Everyone shared glances, they especially looked at Engineer and he himself didn't know if they were allowed to tell her. They had already revealed their code names, she knew about her father and where their base was. While everyone had skeptical looks on their faces Sniper had leaned back in his chair with his arms crossed and his eyes slightly covered with his hat. The new girl had everyone in a frenzy, even Spy was a little on edge, but he was glad everyone kept their guard up. However, he knew it might take forever for them to decide if they should tell her or not, so he spoke lowly and calmly. "We ayere mercenaries. We get jobs, complete them and get paid." Engineer wanted to protest but knew it was the short answer. "Well... yeah, Ah guess his right, nothin' more too it." Soaking up the information Emma felt a surge of fear pump through her. "Wait, so in simpler terms, you kill people for a living and get paid?" "Yup." "Mhmm." Receiving answers from both the people next to her she swallowed thickly.

"Where will I be staying for the night?" She asked abruptly breathing slowly, both Sniper and Spy noticed the change in atmosphere eyeing one another. "Ya only want to stay for the night?" Sighing and eyeing everyone in the room she spoke unconfidently. "Well, if you want me to stay longer, I could." Nodding at her answer he spoke once more. "We don't really hayve an extra room but Ah thank we can work somethin' out. Heavy, ya mind helpin' me?" "Heavy don't mind." Both standing up they left walking down another passage.

Sitting patiently Scout spoke with her, asking the normal questions. What's her age, where did she grow up, did she have a pet growing up etc. He was an energetic guy with an infectious smile. Pyro was most of the time quiet or he said something, but she had no idea what he was saying. Everyone listened to them talking, commenting every once in a while, they seemed very cold towards her but tried sounding friendly. Demoman had finally woken up but was oblivious to Emma's presents and only went to his room.

Not long after that Engineer and Heavy had returned leading her to her new room. It was previously a storage room, but they had moved everything out and placed a single bed against the right wall, a small drawer cabinet on the left wall with a lamp and clock on top. There was also a work bench with a wooden chair against the far back wall below a small window, also with its own lamp. "Ah know its smayll but-" "No, it's fine! It will work. Thank you." She rushed her words but smiled at both the men, placing her bag on the floor near the foot of the bed. "Well then, we will leayve ya to it." Walking away she closed the door silently. Making sure nobody was close she grabbed the chair by the desk and placed it under the handle, making sure nobody will be able to open it.

Back in the living room area Scout had noticed Snipers lack of commentary and everyone's cold demeaner. "Why are ya'll such grouchs?" Finally looking up and fixing his hat he stood up. "Becouse Oi don't trust her." "Why? She hahsn't done ahnything!" Standing up as well he stood in a defensive manner, everyone looked at them. "We don't know thaht. Oi'm just keepin' my guahrd up, do whatever you want." About to leave Scout grabbed his shoulder wanting to continue the argument. Hitting his hand away he grabbed Scout's collar, they were about to fight when Engineer stopped them. "Pull yourselves together! Fightin' won't solve aynythan' and his raght," Keeping back the vomit in his mouth he spoke further, "we don't know her. So, for now we keep an eye on her. Alright Sniper? Scout?" "Yea." "Fine." "Good. Pyro lets stayrt maykin' danner." Jumping off the couch happily Pyro followed Engineer to the kitchen, and Sniper left. Going to his van for some peace and quiet.

Walking back and forth from the desk to the door Emma started hyperventilating. Brushing her hair back trying to catch her breath. Everything's fine. You're O.K.! Sitting on the bed she had stopped hyperventilating, but her mind kept running. They kill people for a living. That's normal. Holding her hands out to steady them she took slow breaths, thinking deeply and frowning. Dad used to work here. They won't hurt you, again. Laying down on her stomach she hugged the pillow they gave her. Tears had formed in her eyes. Dad used to work here... he killed people. Tears stained her cheeks, and her breathing became uneven once more.

Thinking of all the times her father had a wide smile on his face she never thought that he was capable of killing anyone. Did her mother know? Was he planning on ever telling her? Were the endless hours of lecturing her and teaching her independence for a reason? Her mother would have hugged her right now, telling her everything was going to be okay and that she had to stay strong. I was almost done studying... then you were gone. I don't have anyone anymore. Laying tightly in the fetal position her tears came cascading down, muffling her sobs with the not-so-fluffy pillow.

Interrupted by a sudden knock on her door she quickly wiped away her tears, breathed deeply and clearing her throat. "Who is it?" "It's Engineer. Ah wanted to let ya know that danner will be surfed in thirty minutes." She wasn't really in the mood for the prying eyes and a thousand questions. Her eyes were also puffy, they would know she had been crying. "I'm not really hungry." "Have ya eaten aynythin' before comin'?" "Yes." That was a lie, she hadn't eaten since she got on the bus to her final destination. Sighing slightly, he was about to leave but she spoke again, barely over a whisper. "Thank you, Engineer." Smiling to himself he turned to the door. "Ya're welcome, darlin'." He walked away leaving her in her own privacy.

~~~~~~

Waking up suddenly Emma scanned the room, looking at the small clock on the cabinet. It was around five in the morning. She had almost forgotten about day before. All the new information about her father and the people who worked and lived there.

Turning on her back she felt the aches and pains on her body. The bullet wound sent a stinging sensation through her arm, and her ribs and back ached and felt sensitive. Sitting up she felt cold. She had struggled to fall asleep all night, at one point she walked around. She was looking for a bathroom or showers. She had found them, but it was more like a boy's locker room than anything else. She had also gotten dressed in her pajamas that consisted of a loos tank top and boxer briefs for women.

Getting up she slipped on a gray fluffy jacket and ankle high boots. Removing the chair from the door she walked to the kitchen to get herself coffee. Thinking that nobody else would be awake this hour on a weekend. The lights were on in the living room and the shutter from the serving window was closed. Upon opening the kitchen door, she jumped back slightly.

Sniper leaned against the counter with a cup of coffee in hand, he wore the same outfit as the day before, looking up as she entered. Fear crept in her chest, he watched her carefully. "Mornin'." He greeted first, making her frown slightly. "Morning? Is it hot?" Pointing at the coffee pot beside him he only hummed. Walking closer she took a cup that stood there and poured some in adding two teaspoons of sugar and some milk. Leaning against the counter, on his right. She took a sip of coffee, humming and closing her eyes in satisfaction. "Good coffee." She had not noticed she had said it aloud, receiving a smirk from Sniper.

He was still skeptical of her but thought pretending to be friendly would get her to warm up to him easily. He could get more information on her if he did as well. Looking her up and down, from the side, he saw the bandage from before. Her hair was a bit messy, and her jacket was slightly larger than her. "Any plans for today?" She asked genuinely, looking at him slightly. He had a stubble beard that made him seem older. Even though she had no idea how old he was.

Sniper's eyes had traced down to her boxer briefs and legs. Scolding himself for getting distracted so easy he stood up, placed his cup down violently and walked out. "No!" Flinching at his movement and his aggressive answer, her eyes followed him out. "Ok?" She said softly feeling her heart break her ribs. What did I do? Finishing her coffee, she saw that he had not finished his. Feeling horrible and slightly mad she threw the excess in the sink and returned to the room, waiting for everyone else to wake up.

It was around six thirty when she started hearing everyone come out of their rooms. She was already dressed and ready for the day, whatever it might bring. A black top with a collar, pair of jeans with her ankle high boots and scarf. Making sure the bandages on her arm and shoulder were secure she opened the door to reveal Spy about to knock. "Mawnin', mademoiselle." "Morning." He stepped back for her to step out, he had noticed her glume expression. "Is everythin' alrgrizhht?" He asked in that same velvet voice. "No. I just had a very strange morning, that's all." "Yee still need to get use to dze new envirgronment." "Perhaps." Leaving in about two steps she spoke again. She really wanted to know what Sniper's deal was but didn't want to feel like she was prying. "Can I ask something?" He turned back to face her. "Of courgrse, mon cher." "What could be the reason for some of the guys not to like me or at least talk to me?"

Spy knew she wasn't really talking about the others, they were all somewhat fine with her. He knew she meant Sniper. "Yee argre talkin' about the bushman." "No... Maybe?" Smirking at her he continued, "He simply does not trust yee." "Why, I haven't done anything besides trespassing?" "He pergrhaps dzinks yee're an enemy of sort." Frowning at his answer he stepped closer, making her flinch, whispering and glancing at her bandaged arm. "I would watch my back if I were yee."

Walking away she stood feeling a surge of fear go through her veins. A gloved hand on her shoulder frightened her making her scream and step away. Turning around she covered her mouth looking at Pyro who had also gotten scared, he held a rainbow unicorn teddy bear close to his chest. "I'm so sorry, Pyro." Both relaxing he held out the stuffed toy to her, humming whiles doing it. "What?" Shoving it in her arms he indicated on his mask that he had heard her crying. Smiling softly at him she wanted to hug him but thought it best not to, "Thank you. I will keep this safe." Humming in delight she placed it on the bed and they both went to the main area.

Engineer and Heavy had made breakfast that morning that consisted of eggs, toast, bacon and grilled tomato. Emma took a tray of food and sat between Scout and Engineer as both of them did not show any hostility towards her. None of them said anything to her but she wasn't dumb, she could feel everyone was skeptical and rejective towards her. Nevertheless, the food was delicious, and Sniper was not there. His loss. After breakfast they cleared the table, but Soldier made her wait to leave, he wanted to tell her something, everyone else did not seem to care.

Soldier placed a very thick file in front of her. Upon opening it there were photos of them? but in blue and some of them were robots. "This is the BLU team, our worst enemy! DO NOT TRUST THEM! These yellow belly maggots will do anything to get our brief case with very important information!" Pausing slightly, he wanted the information to sink in. You would expect someone to lose their voice after all that yelling but no, he was still yelling after that. "If you are a spy and betray us we will have to kill you! Do you understand son!?" Pointing a finger towards her she saluted, "Yes, sir! But why do they look like you?!" "WELL, THAT... We don't really know!" Still holding his finger up, he thought about it.

Sneaking away as he pondered that question, she bumped into Demoman. He remembered something about a woman in the base and that she would be staying awhile but he had forgotten her name and their own rules. "Ya moost be the girlie whae sen' everyaene in a frenzy?" "Yes? Hi, Demoman right?" Like everyone else in this place he had an accent, a Scottish accent. "Please call me Demo aer Tavish. Am a' yer serves girlie." Smiling that she finally got someone's real name and that he was being genuinely friendly, she shook his hand. "Well hello Tavish, I'm Emily but you may call me Emma." "Will dae lass." Parting ways she went to her room and Demo walked in a room full of shocked and disappointed faces. "Wha'?" He shrugged.

Emma's entire day comprised of everyone, especially Scout, keeping her busy but Heavy was a very quiet Russian. They had only exchanged a few words and sat in comfortable silence eating sandvich's. Except Sniper, she had not seen him since that morning. However, most of the RED team had warmed up to her slightly. They did not come forward as ice cold anymore but kept their guard. Scout had told her his name, he thought nobody would hear or find out, but Spy had heard him, hitting him upside the head.

His name was Jeremy, he was the youngest of eight brothers and loved baseball but not as much as his mother. He cared a lot about her and wanted to keep her safe. She wanted to learn more about the others as well but knew it wouldn't be that easy. They were very frustrating, but she tried ignoring it for the time being, but Spy's words kept nagging at her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

179K 362 2
(Female Reader x Guards) (Mature Content) (Modern AU) "What have I gotten myself into Dad?"- (Y/N) DESCRIPTION: It's not easy adjusting from a move...
23K 837 29
Y/n just got out of military training, and is planning to spend her Christmas vacation days in the Land of Enchantment playing video games and explor...
608 28 21
Sabriel is a young woman who's trying to survive in the cruel world of zombie apocalypse. She's doing everything she can to stay alive for one more d...
1.5K 51 23
I'm doing a team fortress 2 fanfiction. I obviously don't own any of the characters it all belongs to Valve. This is for mature audiences so be warne...