What if I told you?

By linsteadfanfict

Jay has spent many years caring for everyone, but he suddenly realizes his life is starting to pass him up. H... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Part 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Part 12
Part 13

Chapter 6

888 29 10
By linsteadfanfict

I knew today I had to finally face everyone, to say I'm scared would be an understatement. I've been lying to them for months and I know it's gonna be even harder for Erin. They hate her right now, but they don't know everything that happened. I know talking to Hank is gonna be even harder, because he was like a father to her. This mess is going to blow up in both of our faces.

Jay looked over to Hank's office to see Erin on the verge of tears. What ever Hank is telling her, Jay was not liking it. She looked down at Riley and Riley looked back at Jay. Erin had opened the door so she could go by her dad, but Jay noticed the door never closed. Erin could hear ever they were saying. When she finally heard enough, she let her voice be heard.

"I don't care that you all have opinions about me. I had to go, I honestly had no real choice in the matter so, if that makes me a bad person oh well. Yes, Jay was engaged when he first came to New York, but things changed and he asked me to marry him. Jay has always had my heart, so saying yes was never a problem. As far as our daughter, he had no idea, I had no idea when I got to New York either. Once I found out I couldn't come home so I did the best I could do. You all are pissed off, and you have every right to be. I understand that, but just like I told you before I don't care anymore."

"Hailey knew why I called off our engagement, I wanted a life I was proud of and she couldn't offer me that. I missed Erin, and I had to see if there was a possibility, of getting what I really wanted. I was fortunate enough that she was willing to take a risk on me. We talked and we decided what we both wanted. After a few visits both ways, we wanted to pursue an actual relationship. Once I had her back there was no way in hell I was letting her go again. I told Will and he told me to do what makes me happy. I had already been planning how I was gonna propose, so I got the ring and executed my plan. She didn't want to wait to get married, neither did I. A few days later we got married."

"Okay so your married now, what are y'all going to do? You can live apart forever."

"That's what brings me in here today. You're absolutely right we can't live far apart from each especially since we have a child together. So, we only have 2 real options, either I moved to New York or my girls move here."

"So, Erin and Riley are moving here?"

"Umm, after a long conversation I decided it would be better for us to be together in New York. They have an established life there already, and I don't want to uproot them."

"Again, your giving up everything for Erin?"

"Actually, Erin wanted to move back home. She wanted our kids to grow up around family, but after these last few weeks. I don't think I want that anymore!"

"Jay, man what do you mean?"

"I understand why you're all mad at Erin, but I was the one who felt the impact the most. So, when I found her I told her everything. She's beaten herself up enough, I haven forgiven her just like she forgave me. Since everyone seems stuck on trying to hurt her, I can't have my girls around that. Their happiness and mine comes first."

Erin gave Jay a quick side hug before telling the team what really happened.

"The truth is after the case I worked, the ivory tower was gonna strip me, then Bunny got pinched by the feds. She was looking at hard time, so I did what do best. I tried to save her, but this time it costed me everything. The feds offered me a really good deal, the only problem was if I accepted the deal I had to severe all ties with you all. I had no one to turn to about this, I couldn't have talked to Jay because I would've stayed."

"But at least you would've been here!"

"I've always been a cop, and at the time I had nothing else to fall on. Since I was pregnant to, I still had to make sure I had a steady income."

"It wasn't only hard for Jay, it was hard for all of us!"

"I know and I'm sorry!"

"Are you guys seriously considering moving to New York?"

"It all depends on what Jay wants, if he wanted to move around the world tomorrow we would do it. I think right now we just need a little bit of time. We love both cities, and we also have to consider what is best for our kids."

"I mean, if you're here you have all of us."

"That's true but, just like I built myself a family amongst you all, I did the same thing there."

The team looked around at each other before Kevin spoke up.

"Listen, we did get off on rough start, but we're all still family and we will support whatever decision you both make!"

"Thanks Kev! Guys I love talking but I do have to finish up some reports. I want to get done so I can take my girls home."

Jay would never get tired of calling Erin and Riley his girls, every time he referred to them he would say "my girls!" Erin loved being his girl just as much. Jay walked over to his desk and quickly began working on his report, while Erin and Riley pulled up a chair right next to his desk.

"Mommy, why do they keep staring at me?"

"Because they don't know you, and because you look just like your dad."

"Can I meet them?"

"Ummm Sure, who do you want to know first?"

Riley looked around the bullpen before stopping on Kevin, she looked back at her mom before pointing at Kev. Erin grabbed her hand and walked her over to Kevin.

"Hey Kev, Riley would like to meet you."

"Hey there little Halstead, I'm Kevin but you can call me uncle Kev!"

"Hi uncle Kev, I'm Riley but you can call me Ri. Are you the funny one?"

"I'm the funny and stylish one, I just hope your jokes are funnier than your pops!"

With that Riley started to laugh but then chuckled!

"You really created his clone, they even laugh the same!"

"I say the same thing all the time. She's definitely a mini Jay. Ri this is Kim, Kim this is Ri."

"It's nice to meet you Ri, you can call me aunty Kim!"

"It's nice to meet you to aunty Kim!"

Ri pointed to Adam and said "is he Adam?"

"Yea that's him, he can be very funny."

Riley still felt nervous around everyone, so she went back to sit with Jay. Jay didn't mind, he loved holding his little girl. He could see that Erin was also getting tired, and that she needed to eat soon. Without food, he was going to get a very grumpy Erin and he wanted to avoid that at every cost. After approximately 30 more minutes Jay had finished up his paperwork and Erin and Riley were both nodding off next to Jays desk. After he turned his paper work in he tapped Erin on her shoulder waking up.

"Hey, babe it's time to go. We have to get you some food in you both. I'm thinking Thai take out and a Disney movie?"

"I love the sound of that, should we let her sleep or get her up?"

"You know she will be cranky so let her sleep a little longer."

That's what they did, Jay gathered they're things and helped Erin up. Everyone was looking at them, but only Kim noticed. She didn't say anything, but she was definitely going to ask her about it later. The family of three said their goodbyes and headed out.

On their way home they picked up the Thai food Jay ordered and headed home. Once they got home, everyone changed into more comfortable clothes before settling down and eating. Jay prepped the movie, while wring picked their trash up.

As the family watched the movie Erin received a text.

"We need to talk soon!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

65.6K 720 32
Jay and Erin have feelings for each other will they start a relationship? if they do will they tell Voight or go behind his back?
51.7K 633 84
The story of Penelope Lillian Voight Everyone else apart from her I do not own. Some story lines I own whereas some I take from Chicago Pd, Chicago m...
30.8K 1K 88
Since I really like Linstead and there is a lot that the two have never experienced together, I thought I could write it myself. It's an alternate s...
292K 4.4K 111
This Linstead story picks up after 301. Erin is struggling to come to terms with the events of the last few months. Can she move forward and build a...