A Silent Hope

Bởi _Elle_James_

After being left on the doorsteps of an orphanage at age four, Thalia Davis spends most of her life there. Th... Xem Thêm

Alone
Heartbreak
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Epilogue

Chapter Twelve

20.4K 1.2K 212
Bởi _Elle_James_

Mackenzie

I yawned into my palm as Paul doused the small fire out. It was nearing the end of my 24 hours shift when we got called. It wasn't anything big, an old lady accidentally setting her trash on fire and panicking.

My fatigue was catching up on me, considering how much I'd been going at it at the gym recently and lack of sleep. I still woke up before dawn and went to the small hill near the park each morning whenever I couldn't sleep throughout the night. My mind still wandered off in an unwanted territory, a certain blonde the main star.

I'd see Thalia at the park often, under that oak tree writing away in her brown book with little art drawings on it. That was the only time I refused to approach her. I liked seeing her in that peaceful element. That upturn of her lips that didn't quite form a smile, the rapid movement of her hand as if she couldn't get the words down fast enough.

I never lingered, only strolling by on my way to the bakery for a coffee. I was slightly amazed at how her head wouldn't ever lift, her focus undivided.

"Mrs Reese, you gotta be careful. You could've hurt yourself." Paul told the little old lady.

I listened as they talked for a moment longer. Paul walked her back inside while Erica, the only other woman on our crew, and I got the fire engine ready to leave.

"Some of us are going to the bar tonight. You can join us?" I decided to offer.

"I'll have to decline. Got a date." She answered with no glance at me.

"Cool." I shrugged, knowing I at least tried.

Erica mostly stayed to herself as I've seen and heard from the guys. I just thought I'd be nice and put an invite out there. But it was already a good group with Paul, Vivian, Blue, Larry and I. Brian would make an appearance once in a while, but the guy seemed to get on everyone's nerves.

After my shift ended I drove home, ascending the three flights of stairs. As I've been doing for the past week, I paid extra careful not to run into my neighbour. Ensuring no one was in the hallway, I rushed to my apartment and quickly unlocked the door.

I let out the breath I was unaware of holding and headed for a shower. I even had to be wary of the gym now since Daphne was a regular. Luckily, I hadn't run into her there, yet. Letting my hair down after I was done, I slipped on a boxers and sports bra before I got ready for bed.

Waking up with body aches I don't remember having, I stretched my limbs and smiled as I heard cracking sounds. I trudged to the kitchen and heated up one of my meals I prepared before.

Standing at the kitchen counter, I slowly chewed and scrolled through my phone. I frowned when I saw my little sister's name pop up along with a picture of an olive skin girl, chocolate colored curls around her messy face. Calvin and I had smashed her face into her cake on her last birthday when she turned seventeen.

Swallowing the food in my mouth, I slid my thumb on the screen. "Sup, Kez?"

"She's driving me crazy!" Was the first thing she said.

Washing my food down with some water, I responded. "Ma? What did she do?"

"She threatened my life in front of my friends! Now they think I'm being abused at home." Kezia laughed as did I.

"From what I'm hearing, you deserve it. Sneaking out? Really? Why must you play with your young life?"

The seventeen year old laughed and I could hear Ma yelling something in the background. "It was once and I only went next door."

My heart pounded at the mention of next door. 'Next door' meant the Carmichaels, Bella's family. Just like she and I were best friends, Kezia and Gabby were inseparable. She was Bella's younger sister.

"Can you hear that?" Ma had yelled again, something about Kezia not taking out the trash. "She literally just told me."

I chuckled and carried my empty plate to the sink. "Go on. You know she's not afraid to come get you."

"I swear, Caribbean people are built differently. Hey, so, there's this dance coming up and-"

"Ah ha! I knew it. You called to get my money." I shot at her.

My younger sister scoffed. "I have money saved up, but it's not enough and I wanted to get something for my date...it's also their birthday that night." Her voice had gotten lower with each word.

I hummed smugly, knowing she'd never ask our parents for money concerning that. "I see. Isn't it Gabby's birthday soon?"

"Is it? Huh. I guess. I d-don't know." She sputtered.

"Kezia!" I heard Ma call again.

"I gotta go. But please, Mac?"

"I'll think about it." I mumbled.

"Mac!"

"Fine, but next time ask Calvin. I'm not a bank." I fussed.

Kezia squealed. "Thanks. Bye."

~●~

I smiled as I immediately spotted Thalia that night at the bar. The woman was currently serving a male customer who seemed to be pissing her off.

Walking in and cringing at the loud noise, I followed Paul to a table with our other companions of the night. I gave Larry a side hug and a fist bump to Blue. Vivian embraced me with a tight hug that almost suffocated me.

As I sat, I glanced back to the bar. The man was still there but someone else was serving him now. My eyes flitted around the congested room in search of the brunette, finding her just as she went through an opened door.

I kept taking peeks at that door for almost an hour, but Thalia hadn't come back out. Sighing, I zoned in on the conversation at the table. Blue and Vivian were gushing about their upcoming wedding as Paul had heart eyes while looking at them.

Nudging my friend with my elbow, I leaned to his ear. "You fruity too?"

"You mean if I like fruits? Yeah, buddy. I love fruits." He loudly said in my ear, the smell of alcohol on his breath.

I chuckled and sat more comfortably in my seat, my drink cold between my palms. The golden brown liquid burnt as it traveled down my throat, momentarily putting me in a haze.

When I came to, Thalia was just coming out from behind the door. My eyes followed her as she walked to Layla, said something to her and went back in. I frowned, sulking because she was too busy tonight.

I stopped drinking when I felt buzzed, switching to mountain dew then. Vivian roped me into a dance and I willingly obliged. She was a spunky woman, carefree and happy with everything. I'd realized she was mostly always positive and that was something I could relate to. I did try to stay positive whenever life threw hits at me. I gave her a twirl to end the dance, excusing myself for some air.

I stuffed my hands into my pockets, shivering with the night wind. I hung my head back to look up at the sky, enjoying the blanket of constellations that went on beyond my imagination. You could never find this kind of view in the city.

"Had enough dancing?"

I jumped and turned at the sudden voice. "Ah!" I held up my fists. "Oh, Thalia."

The woman leaned off of the wall where she was, shadows dancing across her face as she moved. "Put those down, Kenzie."

I snapped my gaze to my fists, embarrassed at my weird reaction. "Sorry. You scared me and I'm a little buzzed." I folded my hands behind my back, noticing the cigarette in her hands.

Thalia noticed my stare and held the unlit cigarette up. "I was approached tonight, almost said yes. I didn't though. It's the only time I have the need to smoke. When I feel...cold. But I soon realized after the fifth guy that the chill is always there. Sometimes it's just more.....biting." She murmured in a tone I never heard from her before.

I was too shocked that she was actually talking that much, so I took a minute to say something. "Do you mean loneliness?"

She tossed the cancer stick away in the trash can. "You can dance."

I pursed my lips at the change of topic, disappointed that I couldn't talk about what she just said. "Yeah. I've been dancing since I could walk. Wait, were you watching me?" I grinned down at her.

Amusement showed in her eyes from what I could see with the dull street lights. "I caught a glimpse."

My smile stayed as I stepped closer, doing a mental fist pump when she stayed put. "I do private shows for the right prize."

Thalia snorted out a small laugh. "I bet."

"What's one thing you've always wanted to do?" I asked, taking another step closer.

The shorter woman tilted her head back to see me better, but didn't move other than that. "Why?"

I lifted my shoulders to my cheeks, giving my best innocent look. "Just tell me."

Her jaw clenched, eyes flicking away. I waited, seconds turning into minutes. My shoulders dropped with the thought of not knowing. I'd wanted to do something nice when her birthday came, something she actually wanted to do and not just a guess of mine. I didn't know this woman, but knew enough to say she deserved better than whatever this was.

Thalia grumbled something incoherently before speaking quietly. "Paintball. I think it looks fun."

I let out a small squeal. "That's a good one. Anything else?"

The woman ran a hand through her hair, grabbing a fistfull and letting go. "I gotta get back inside. Work to do."

"You're not out front tonight." I said quickly, greedy for a few more second with her.

"Hm? Oh, I do the bookkeeping." She answered with a sigh. "Much better than dealing with drunk people."

"Okay."

Thalia made it to a side door I didn't notice before she turned to me again. "Enjoy your night, Kenzie."

I nodded. "Enjoy your...that thing- the bookkeeping thing."

I was given one of her rare smiles at my weird behavior as she whispered, "Bye."

The metal door shut before I could return a similar quiet 'bye.'

I begrudgingly made my way back inside to join my companions for the night.

-E

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

19K 516 54
What happens when you find out a sadist is your new step sister. Liv Brooklyn just moved from her home town of 19 years. Since her mom got engaged t...
60.5K 2.3K 33
A childhood trauma left her chained in her own mind. Her existence felt hopeless, worthless. The outside world seemed scary yet tempting. She was sca...
Safe With Us Bởi

Lãng mạn

3K 78 21
" I just feel so selfish..." I say as I cry, looking down. I feel two sets of arms wrapping around me, giving me warmth and love. "That's okay." "...
448K 17.6K 66
• Rhea just finished her first year of college, but with a strained relationship with her parents... she has no home to come back to during summer br...