Devilish Detective ✅

By Steph_AnnieL

Congratulations; you just made a deal with the devil! °°° A mysterious and handsome stranger walks newly into... More

A/N
I Can Also Juggle Knives
Talking To The Air Like A Simpleton
The Darkened Cloud of Misfortune Hanging Over My head
Is That What They Teach You In Catechism?
A Gift After The Death of a Bully is Never a Good Sign
I Feel Like A Modern Day Cinderella
Not Eating Really Brings Out My Sexy
As Flawed As your Last Science Project
Dig Your Talons Into Him And Make Fire Breathing Demon Babies
You Really Have to Stop Dropping Cakes When You See Me
I Am Not Nice. I Am The Devil
Have I Been Completely Erased From The Scripture
I Will Hurt You If You Push Me
She Looks Like She Saw A Ghost
Like A Tiger On An Antelope
Your Idiocy Fascinates Me
You Run Like A Noodle
It's Not A Pretty Sight
You're Just Making Up Words
Don't Be A Cat, Bells
Is She A Nephilim?
Humans Are So Pessimistic
I'm Going To Kill Her
I Am The Prince Of Hell
The Voice of a Dying Mantis
I'm Not Throwing Shades
You Have A Secret
I Would Have To Kill You First
The Cat Died A Noble Death
You're Too Pure For That
I Hurt You
Like A Vampire Angel
Sleep when You're Dead
Everyone Is A Suspect
Follow Trixie Like A Lap Dog
You're Just Another Insignificant Human
It's Both Adorable And Pathetic
Don't Act Like You Care
You Sent A Demon To Fetch Me
I Wasn't Negligent
It's Like The Freaking Birdbox
Leave Me The Hell Alone
I Trust You
How Hypocritical Of You
She's Feisty
The Rainbow Looks Stupid
Something Terrible Happened
I'm Almost Proud Of You
She's Dead
Don't Be A Fool
Two Sides Of The Same Coin
Obedience Isn't That Hard
I'm Your Bloody Responsibility
I Don't Like You, Sam
That Man Is Scary
Wontons Sound Great
Interesting Turn Of Events
Lockers Don't Bite
Am I dying?
I'm Super Nervous
I Called In A Favour
Fun Facts About Devilish Detective
sequel?
A Potential Spin Off?

It Was A Beautiful Night

76 13 14
By Steph_AnnieL

Chapter Fifty-Four: It Was A Beautiful Night

~~~

By the time Monday rolls in, I have gone days without seeing Sam, Michael, Raphael or even Azrael.

My life has been completely Angel-free and absolutely, mind-numbingly mundane.

Cher drive Audrey and me to school and together, we walk into school where we find Nat resting against the locker beside Tiff's while Tiffany sorts out her books for the day.

Catching sight of us, the two girls look up and Tiff spares us a small smile. She has been warming up to the group and seems to have completely deserted her other friends. I'm quite happy for her. It's clear that Nat was right all along and she really isn't that bad.

"Hi," Tiff greets. Today, her flawless mocha skin is covered in a thigh-long beige coloured gown on fishnets which she matched with black sandals. Her brunette hair is held back as usual with a headband and the moment she greets us, she turns her attention to Nat.

Nat simply nods in our direction, acknowledging our presence.

After Cherry has given everyone a famous Cherry-embrace, she and the others start yapping about the latest episode of whatever.

I am already having a hard time keeping up with their conversation, but I completely zone out the moment my eyes land on him.

The scrawny kid with mousey brown hair and dull brown eyes. He is leaning against the wall, completely unnoticed by passers-by. Not one bothers to spare him a glance, and why should they? There's nothing remotely interesting about the kid in the carton-coloured shirt that match the dull walls of the school.

He matches the boring top with faded jeans that hangs loosely on his waist and in his hands, he clutches what seems to be a chess set. He's as brilliant as he is a chameleon and guilt washes over me that I never noticed him either.

We share literature class and mostly sit together, yet I never really spared him a glace, never noticed how he's always by himself. Perhaps he got jealous of the attention Ben and Trixie were getting? Perhaps all the popular people are in danger now simply because we failed to see who was right in front of us.

"Don't you agree, Bells?" Cherry taps me and I snap my attention back to my friends to find them staring expectantly at me for some reason.

"Err..." I scratch the back of my neck nervously as I try to come up with something to say that'll convince them that I wasn't totally ignoring everything they had been saying.

Fortunately, the shrill sound of the bell cuts through the air and I let out a breath through my mouth before smiling sheepishly at them.

"Will you look at that? I have literature right now. See you later."

I practically run to the classroom, leaving my confused friends behind. Upon getting in, I stop at the door and bend down, my palms placed on my knees as I try to catch my breath.

I soon get enough oxygen and look up, a small smile on my face when I catch Zack at his usual position. Purposefully, I stride over to him. He doesn't even blink when I take the spot beside him and place my bag on the floor. He doesn't even look my way.

"Hi Zack," I greet him and much to my surprise, he lets out a startled squeak and jumps like a frightened kitten.

With wide eyes, I watch and wait for him to regain composure and when he is done, I smile fondly at him, causing him to stare at me with raised brows.

"Why are you smiling at me as though we are friends?" He questions, his voice laden with uncertainty.

"Zack, Zack," I force a laugh as I throw an arm around his shoulder but he is quick to shrug it off and pass me a glare that tells me to back off.

I guess he doesn't do well with physical contact then.

"We're practically friends, aren't we? I have an idea! We should totally hang out today. Meet me at the library during lunch. It'll be awesome."

He blinks back a couple of times at my request, but before he can offer a word of complaint, our teacher steps into the class, putting an end to every side discussion going on in the room.

The classes fly past me without me paying much attention to anything. By the time lunch break is over, I slip out of the classroom before Asher can call me back and head towards the library, a look of determination on my face.

Upon arrival, I find the room quiet as always and I smile, breathing in the lovely scent of books before making my way to my favourite spot in the room which is thankfully empty.

After settling down, I look around the room, but find no Zack. Blowing out air through my mouth, I start to review whatever plan I have in my head.

If Zack showed up, what exactly am I supposed to do? I'm not Sam. If I accuse him, there's nothing stopping him from standing and walking away.

I stare at my wristwatch and see that five minutes have passed since the sound of the bell was heard, and Zack is yet to make an appearance. Why would he even show up? We've barely exchanged pleasantries over the years, so he probably disregarded my invite.

"This is pointless!" I mutter under my breath and start to get up, but I feel a shadow over me and I look up to find Zack staring at me, his brows raised.

"I tried calling you," he notes and I smile sheepishly at him as he settles down opposite me.

"Yeah... I lost my phone at the site of the accident. Perhaps it's crushed somewhere," I explain and he hums.

"You made a quick recovery."

I can tell he is finding it difficult to make small talk and I notice that under the table, he is tapping his feet continuously, probably due to anxiety.

"I did. I saw a card from you. Thank you." I smile at him and he shrugs.

"I thought you were going to die, and well, I know you so..." He shrugs again and I nod, not knowing how to proceed.

For a moment, I drum on the table with my fingers, trying to gather my nerves and he just watches me. Taking a deep breath, I decide to just go for it. What's the worst that could happen.

"The night Benjamin died, he threw a party and you were present at the party," I start, feigning confidence and hoping that he cannot hear the slight crack in my voice.

"Yes." He nods, but doesn't offer further input. He doesn't even seem to realize where the conversation is headed.

"And I'm sorry, but there's no way you could have been invited."

"No need to be sorry. It's the truth." He offers yet another small shrug and I furrow my brows at the boy.

He genuinely doesn't seem to be upset. He's just staring at me as though he is wondering why I am telling him things that he already knows.

"Okay." I take in a deep breath as I fiddle with the hem of my clothing. "There was a party you were not invited to, yet you slipped in and out without calling much attention to yourself. You were also nervous when you were there and not long after the party, the host was discovered dead," I try to explain the gravity of the situation. Zack however just nods as he continues tapping his feet against the floor.

"Sounds about right."

I stare at the boy, my jaw slacked at his inability to understand where I am driving at. He just continues to stare at me like he's waiting for me to say something else.

I really wish Sam was here.

"What she's trying to say is she thinks you killed him."

I jump when I hear Sam's voice behind me and I turn to find him, clad in white as usual, a grin plastered on his face and his golden hair falling all across his forehead.

Speak of the Devil... Literally!

I turn back to Zack as Sam settles beside me without sparing me as much as a glance. Zack furrows his brows at Sam like he genuinely doesn't understand what he is saying.

"Why would you think that?" He sounds sincerely puzzled and I just stare at him, not understanding how he's still confused. For someone so smart, he sure is finding it difficult grasping what I'm saying.

Sam however takes total control of the situation with his disarming smile and confident and powerful aura.

"Zack, I know you find it very difficult to read social cues and piece some things together, but you were at the perfect spot to murder Ben and get away with it. Then you must have walked up to Trixie and killed her too and in-between all of that, you sent Angel here a bunch of poems and gifts and threatening notes." Sam gestures to me at the last part and Zack just looks between us as though we have lost our minds.

"Isn't her name Bells?"

Is that seriously his problem right now?

"It's a nickname," I clarify and he nods.

"That makes sense, seeing as you're both close. It's only appropriate he'd give you a nickname. Anyway, you happen to think I murdered two people who committed suicide and rather than take the matter to the police, you walk up to me, no proof on your hands whatsoever. However, I will indulge you and ask you why you are of the opinion that I did all of these."

"I don't know? Maybe because you're in love with me and too socially awkward to meet me and say it to my face? Or perhaps you're angered by the popular people because you feel you don't get noticed."

At my words, he burst into a fit of laughter that causes my cheeks to heat up with embarrassment.

"You find this amusing?" Sam questions as Zack tries to regain composure.

"Very. Bells just assumed I have feelings for her which is absolutely ridiculous as I am aromantic and asexual. Also, I do not care that they had attention. I don't like attention as it makes me feel quite uneasy. In case you haven't noticed, I am not really great with people and talking and reading social cues. I am happy with my chess buddies."

"So why were you at Ben's party?" Sam inquires, unfazed by Ben's confessions. However, I feel even more mortified right now.

"I went there because I planned on talking Benjamin down and I am not the best at confrontations. I was however tired of doing his assignments for him, so I told him so. After that, I left to watch Sci-fi with my little sister. Mami made us Menudo and Papi goofed around on his guitar. It was a beautiful night."

With a deep sigh, I turn to Sam to find him staring intently at Zack before he turns to me.

"He's not lying."

"Of course, I'm not. Again, this is rather pointless because neither one of you are recording so even if I made a confession, without proof, there is absolutely nothing you can do. I would suggest you leave this for the professionals. They got a degree and field training for a reason and it's not for naïve teenagers to try to do their job."

Sam furrows his brows at the boy, but much to my surprise, he doesn't threaten him, neither does he warn him against speaking to him in such manner. In fact, I notice Sam's composure is a lot gentler than usual.

Weird.

"Thank you for your advice, Zack." I force a smile and he nods as he gets up. I notice he has stopped tapping his feet and has now resulted to drumming his fingers against his side.

"Accepted." He starts to walk away, but he suddenly stops and turns back to us. I watch curiously as he bends and stares at me with those dull brown eyes.

"You say someone has been sending you poems and gifts and threatening messages." He hums. "I would say it is someone close to you. If this is a murder as you claim, and it is connected with the gifts, then this person is very smart and very organized and most likely close to you so they can track your progress and know just when to divert your attention. I think you're smart. You have a very high CGPA, however, I don't think you're intelligent enough to find them. Best case scenario, you end up dead and stuffed inside your own locker."

He hums again before he straightens himself and walks away.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.2K 867 45
A modern twist to the tragedy of Goethe's Faust- a scholar who sold his soul to the devil to satisfy his desire for power, knowledge and the zenith o...
7.5M 77.4K 6
*Book one in the Hell's Company series* Lucifer was the brightest angel in Heaven, But in service of God, he was condemned to darkness. After thousan...
7.7K 2K 48
Gravicta, the home to certain angels, faces a certain doom after their king, Lucifer Morningstar, is murdered. It all started after the great fall. G...
2.7K 31 10
Imagine being nobody in this life. You were thrown into the street by your birth mother when you were just a few days old. And adoptive parents once...