Scales In The Ruined

By DanielleDoustAllen

Twins. The oldest, a warlock. The youngest, a shadowhunter. Both were raised in lives the other could not fol... More

-Season One-
When Two Became One
The Shift in the Shadows
No Worse Ways To Be Introduced
Not Your Secret To Share
When One Becomes Two
Late Night Bonding
Portal Shards & Cheesecakes
Fucking...werewolves
Double Potions
Shadow's Of The Past Shrouds Us
Mission Impossible
Small Trinkets of Time
Two Never Becomes Three

Birthday Wishes

7.2K 251 61
By DanielleDoustAllen

Twelve years later Kassidy Fairchild, now known to the world as Kassidy Bane, peeked her hand through the covers of her many blankets on her bed to shut off her alarm. Groaning, Kas sat up, pushing away all her pillows and blankets alike.

Rubbing the sleep from her eyes, Kassidy glanced down at her wooden night stand that held a picture of two little girls in front of a fountain in Central Park. 

"Happy 18th Birthday, Clary." Kas whispered to the photo. "I'll see you soon, I promise." Her fingers moved over the picture frame in a delicate way, almost like she was scared any more pressure it would break.

Kassidy set the picture down after a minute, when she heard a knock at her bedroom door. Shaking her head, she answered. "Come in!"

The door swung open, revealing Magnus Bane holding a tray of waffles decorated in an assortment of goodies and two candles that took the form of eighteen. "Happy Birthday Stringbean! I made you your all time favorite," He whispered for dramatic effect. "My world famous waffles."

"Thanks Dad." The blonde warlock smiled at him, but it didn't reach her eyes.

Magnus, seeing this, set the tray down on the dresser then took a seat on Kassidy's bed. "I know your birthday's are a bit bittersweet." He brushed the hair out of his daughter's face. "But, you're both of age now. You'll be able to tell her everything tomorrow." 

"I know." Kassidy sighed. "I've had over a decade to come up with something, but the only thing I could come up with is 'Hi' followed up with awkward screeching." She hugged one of her pillows to her chest. "How do I tell Clary that I'm her twin sister that she doesn't remember because Jocelyn took us to a magician and erased her memories."

"Magician?" Magnus placed his hand on his chest jokingly. "I am a warlock, not a party rental."

"You sure about that?" Kassidy raised an eyebrow. "I seem to remember a 9 year old's birthday party…" The two glared at each other before both bursting into giggles. 

Once Kassidy's dad sobered up, he changed the topic back to what concerned Kas the most. "For Clary, start at the beginning. I know if the situations were switched, she would want to start there."

The young warlock glanced at the picture frame knowing that her dad was right. "The very beginning it is then." She then snapped her fingers and the breakfast tray reappeared onto her lap. "But that's tomorrow, right now I'm going to eat my birthday breakfast that you may or may not have magic-ed into existence and contemplate what you got me." Kassidy pointed her fork at Magnus.

Magnus smiled. "You'll never guess what it is." 

"Maybe not." She shrugged. "But it's fun to speculate."

Magnus stood up and laid a kiss on the top of Kassidy's head. "Eat your breakfast." He walked over to the door and lingered.

"Yes?" Kassidy asked mid-chew.

"I love you Stringbean." He told her. "You know that right?"

She swallowed the waffle and answered. "I know Dad. I love you too."

Magnus smiled briefly and closed the door.

—-------

Kassidy was pushing through her closet filled with clothes. Trying to see what she should wear today when her phone started to buzz. Without looking down, she reached for it and answered. "Kassidy Bane speaking."

"Happy Birthday Kas!"

Kas placed the phone between her shoulder and neck. "Thanks Belles."

"Was I the first one to call?" Isabelle asked through the phone.

The warlock chuckled, knowing how competitive the three shadowhunters are. "Yes you are. You currently hold the crown for birthday wishes."

"Damn right I do." Kassidy could practically feel the smugness that Izzy held. 

She was gonna say something else, but stopped when she heard Alec in the background. "Is that Kas?"

"...no…" Kas snorted at Isabelle's denial.

"Give me the phone."

"Get your own phone."

"Izzy, give me the phone."

"No." 

Kassidy sat the phone down on her dresser and pressed the "on speaker" button when the struggle of the two shadowhunters fighting over the device began.  It went on long enough for the warlock to find a shirt and a pair of pants to go with it.

"You can't use your height to your advantage!"

"I can't help that you got the short gene."

Kass rolled her eyes. "Goodmorning Xander (Zan-der)."

"Morning Kas. Happy 18th birthday."

"Thank you." The blonde told him. "I'm officially an adult in the eyes of the law."

"Laws that you don't follow." 

"I do to follow them." Kas said in mock offense. 

"Tell that to Jace." Izzy's voiced.

"What about me?" Jace could be heard in the background.

"Nothing." All three chorused together.

Kassidy was fully dressed at this point, and was now in her bathroom. She began putting in her celtic hair spirals, sliding on her father's mother's ring that held an emerald held together by two snake heads, and placing the multiple gold and emerald earrings into her right ear. 

"Hey, Snowcone. Sleep well?" Kassidy asked, still putting the last of her earrings in.

"Would have slept a lot better if you were there next to me." Jace's voice went an octave lower.

The two Lightwoods each made a noise of disgust. "Alright." Isabelle spoke. "I think that's are cue, big brother. Give me back my phone when you're done." 

"You're really something else, ya know that?" The warlock told Jace.

"What? I can't flirt with my girlfriend?"

"In front of your sister and parabatai, who are my best friends? Maybe not the best decision." Kas snickered.

"We're all adults. They can handle it."

Kas made a noise of agreement, while she began flipping between makeup looks. She was very thankful her dad taught her the spell when she was fourteen. 

"And speaking of Adults." The shadowhunter passed for dramatic effect. "You are officially one. Happy Birthday Baby."

"Last one of the three to wish me one." Kassidy poked fun at him. "You're losing your touch, shadowhunter."

"Well, maybe if you stayed the night..."

Picking up her phone, she stepped back into her room that was littered with books. "Dad likes to be the first one to wish me happy birthday. If I slept there, he for sure would have portaled into your room just to make sure he could."

Kas could picture the look of horror that was over her boyfriend’s face. "On second thought, I'm glad I was the last one."

She snorted before asking the question that placed her mind since the call. "When am I going to see you three today?"

"I'm sorry Kas, but there's some demon activity." He sighed. "They want us to monitor it and then act on anything we find suspicious."

Kassidy took the phone off speaker, holding it to her ear. "But there's always demon activity and there are other teams that could deal with it."

"You know how the Clave is, Baby. They tell us to jump, we ask how high."

"But…" Kas was in disbelief. "It's my birthday. You promised."

"And we'll-I'll make it up to you."

The blonde rubbed her face. "Jace-"

"I promise."

"...okay. I'll see you soon." Kas caved into her boyfriend's plea. 

"I'll hand you your present when I see you, Love you."

"I love you t-." The warlock went to repeat, but Jace ended the call before she could finish. Kas closed her eyes and blew out a breath. "Happy Birthday to me."

She then placed her phone in her pocket and looked through rows of books that littered the bookshelf. Some were normal ones that you would find in Barnes and Nobles, some were old grimoires that Magnus has given her, and the rest are spell books that she designed herself.

But her attention wasn't on one of the hundred books, it was on a small gift bag that had the words "Happy Birthday". Every year since the twins turned twelve, Kassidy would sneak into Clary’s room when she and Jocelyn were out and place it on her bed. Yes, Kas was going to see her tomorrow and tell her everything, but this was tradition.

The curly haired blonde warlock grabbed the present and walked out of her room to see her dad reorganizing his potion shelf. "You organize that shelf at least twice a week." Kas pointed out.

"I like to know when I'm running low on things." Magnus turned around to look at Kassidy. "You gonna see through Shadowhunter friends of yours?"

His daughter pursed her lips. "No, they're busy."

Magnus’s face lit up. "Great!" Then he saw the glare. "I mean bad-terrible-how could they do this?"

She blinked at him. "You done?"

"Yes, I'm done." He waved his hand. "You get to hang with me for the day."

Kas rolled her eyes with a smile. "I hang out with you almost every day, I'm your second in command." She then changed the subject. "I'm actually gonna go out for an hour or two before coming back, then we can do birthday things."

The older warlock squinted his eyes at her. "You're going to see Clary, aren't you?"

"It's her Art School Interview." Kas didn't deny it. "I just want to know if she gets in." Magnus waved his hand for her to continue talking. "I'm not gonna talk to her, I'm just gonna listen and watch her and Simon in that one Cafe that they frequent."

Magnus' eyes shifted, understanding why Kassidy wanted to do this. She does this whenever Clary has a big milestone in her life. It made her feel closer to her twin. "Just don't have Jocelyn catch you."

"I won't." She confirmed.

"Before you go," Magnus waved his hand and her birthday present appeared in his grasp. "You need to open this." He handed it to her. "I know I already said it, but happy birthday Stringbean."

Kassidy smiled at him and took the present, as she opened it she let out a small squeal. "You got me new arm guards!" Kas pulled them out to feel them. The feeling of leather in her hands as she ran her fingers up and down the new protective instrument.

"They're made of Seelie Leather." Magnus told her. "And I threw a few enchantments on them as well."

Kas's eyes widened in shock. "Seelie Leather? Where did you get that?"

"I'm the High Warlock of Brooklyn, Kassidy. I have connections."

"You slept with the Seelie Queen when she was in adult form, didn't you." It wasn't a question.

"I can get something without seduction!" Magnus said.

"Sure, and I'm the bloody queen of England." Kas said with an over exaggerated British accent. 

"I will not take this kind of bullying from my own child." He pointed his finger at her.

Kas snickered at her dad's playful tone, before changing the subject. "Alright, I'm gonna head out. I'll see ya in a bit." She kissed her dad's cheek and walked towards the door.

"Please be discreet." Magnus poked his head from the kitchen.

Kassidy scoffed. "Please. I've been discreet my entire life. This will be a piece of cake."

"Do I need to remind you of the pie incident?" His eyebrow rose. 

She pointed her finger at him. "You promised you would never mention that again."

—-------

Kassidy Bane was sitting in the Cafe a few tables from where Simon was waiting for her sister. Just to make sure she wasn't recognizable, Kas had glamored herself to not look like a twin. 

Kassidy's sight shifted from Simon to the door, once she heard the doorbell. Sitting up straighter once she saw who it was. Once she sat down, Kas tapped her left ear twice causing it to glow a soft green. 

"Give me the professors' names and I... I will end them. You know, with... with a scathing e-mail to the dean." Simon said once he saw her face.

Kas rolled her eyes, it was obvious that Clary actually got in. She could tell by her poster and how she was trying to hold back a smile.

"Don't bother."

"What? Sad face? Really? Well played, well played."

That caused Clary to laugh and the warlock to scowl. It didn't seem fair to her that this insignificant Mundane got to grow up with her twin, while she didn't. Kassidy cursed at Jocelyn in her head for taking Clary from her and continued to listen.

"Thank you. You know, it's weird. They kind of liked my assigned work, but they flipped out over the drawings for our graphic novel."

"You're welcome."

Kas peeked over her sunglasses to see Clary smile.

"This day will go down in history as the greatest 18th birthday I ever had. 

"Which is why we are celebrating tonight. Yes, with Maureen, after our show."

"Absolutely. So... what's the deal with you and Maureen?"

Kas, who knew about Maureen from the dozens of "concerts" she's been to while protecting Clary from demons, was wondering that too. Hell, she even didn't speak to the three but knew about the weird love triangle going on.

"What deal? No deal. We sing together."

"You seriously don't know she's been crushing on you this whole time?"

Simon coughed on his drink a bit. "What? No. No."

"Simon, how can someone as smart and perceptive as you not realize that the person sitting right there is in love with you?" Clary asked her best friend and caused Kas to snort a little into her tea at her oblivious sister.

"I guarantee you I'm not the only smart, perceptive person to make that mistake. That's a latte."

Now that caused Kas to lose all sense of stealth that she has gathered all her life, and looked over to what Simon was talking about. 

"But I could have sworn I had a biscotti."

Clary was right, she did have a biscotti. Kassidy remembered the mundane buying her one, so she could eat as soon as she sat down. Kas eyes glowed green as she squinted at the napkin next to her latte, what layed there was a drawing of a biscotti. 

Simom didn't seem to notice. "Maybe you ate it really fast and didn't even notice. Happens to me all the time. When I'm happy... when I'm sad. But I will replace your mythical biscotti with an actual one."

Kassidy didn't stay for the rest of the conversation between the two. She walked out with fast steps and turned into the closest alleyway. Leaning up against the wall, the warlock de-glamorized herself, letting her nose and face shape return to normal.

She knew what it meant when Clary turned that biscotti into a drawing. Her sister's protection charms were breaking and Kassidy was one step closer to finally being able to hug her again, yet she knew that wasn't going to happen today. 

Kas then opened a portal to the alleyway next to the Fray residents and hopped in. Once her feet landed on the ground, Kassidy saw all the shadowhunter tags plus a few warlock enchantments that littered the walls of the townhouse. Her hand seemed to have a mind of its own and ran over the Angel Rune once it came into view. 

A bitter smile across Kassidy's features. She wondered if maybe she was born a shadowhunter…

No. She shook her head to banish the thought. Kassidy loved being a warlock, she loved her Dad and she loved her friends. She knew if she had no magical powers, Kas wouldn't have met them when she did.

Finally coming back to what she wanted to do, Kassidy's head tilted to the side. Trying to hear if anyone was in the apartment. Luckily she didn't have to redo the hearing spell since it lasts up to three hours if done right. Once she made sure no one was home, she hopped over the railing and used her magic to unlock the door.

The youngest Bane pushed open the door and stepped inside, not once looking at the decor and heading straight to Clary's room. Her twin's room hasn't changed all that much since last year, Kas realized. Just a few more pictures that her sister painted. 

However, one drawing caught her attention. It was only a corner of it. She pushed the ones on top of it away; the drawing seemed to be a self portrait. Yet once Kassidy got a closer look, her breathing came to a halt. The girl in the drawing wasn't Clary, it was her. 

Yes, it still had her red hair, but it wasn't parted the way Clary’s is. A nose ring hung on the nostril, and Kas knew Clary's didn’t have a nose piercing. There also was a small litter of freckles that laid under the right eye, her sister’s laid under the left.

Kassidy probably looked at that picture for what seemed like hours, it wasn't till she heard the door being unlocked that snapped her out of the frozen state. Quickly, she shoved the picture into her pocket and made Clary’s present appear on the bed with a snap of her fingers.

She rushed to the window when the sound of footsteps could be heard walking closer to the bedroom. Opening it as fast as she could, she dove through it, tucking her body as she rolled to the floor. Once she popped back up she magic-ed a portal back home with the only trace of her being there was a gift and an open window.

—-------

Magnus Bane was in his study, reading up on a spell that he wanted to rewrite, when the sound of a crash in his living room alerted him. He thought it was an intruder until the warlock heard the string of curse words.

Walking swiftly into the living room, he saw Kassidy pop up from the floor and began running to her room. "There's no running in this house even on your birthday!" Magnus shouted.

"Sorry!" Kas yelled back before slamming her door. 

Magnus, who has never seen her like this, tried to decide if he should leave it be or go investigate. He decided after hearing a slight thud it would be best to leave her be for an hour or so.

—-------

First part of the episode is complete! What did you guys think? Tell me in the comments.

Also, if you found this story from TikTok, hi! I’m glad you took the time to look me up.

I’ll see you guys soon.

-DA

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

94.4K 2.5K 34
Elizabeth Fray is the fraternal twin sister to clary fray. Even though they were twins they were nothing alike were clary was an artist and outgoing...
306K 10.4K 64
Book one in the Varian Bane Duology Book Two "Winter Blooms" in progress. Varian Fairchild was raised in the Shadow World by his adopted father Magnu...
205K 3.1K 25
Shadow Hunters are people that are half angel half mundane (human). They protect the human word from the demon world, downworlders. Kayla Wayland is...
942K 22.1K 50
Camille Fray has a normal life. A young mother, a young sister and a father who died when she was child. Graduated from high school and 2 years into...