A Silent Hope

By _Elle_James_

After being left on the doorsteps of an orphanage at age four, Thalia Davis spends most of her life there. Th... More

Alone
Heartbreak
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Epilogue

Chapter Seven

20.8K 1.2K 241
By _Elle_James_

Mackenzie

Pushing my trolley down the aisle, I scanned the shelves for what I needed. I mindlessly hummed while shopping, putting healthy and some unhealthy in my cart.

Looking around, no one was here so I obviously had to put in some dance moves to go with the beat. I advanced my humming to singing quietly, doing a small spin towards the coffee on the top shelf to my left. Another spin and I grabbed the vanilla creamer I wanted.

The process went on. I sang, I danced and I shopped.

I finished it with the twist dance move, pausing when I heard footsteps behind me. I quickly turned around to see Carl, Paul's grandfather, eyeing me weirdly.

"H-hi, Mr Lahey." I waved awkwardly.

A trembling hand came up and he pointed at me. "My dear wife and I," he coughed, taking his handkerchief out to use. "We used to dance like that."

"That's great!" I chirped. "Wanna join?" I stepped closer but he halted me with a firm look.

"Only crazy people dance in the grocery store, Miss Mackenzie." He grumbled and gripped his own trolley.

I grinned at the adorable old man. I saw where Paul got it from, they were both alike in a lot of ways. Except, Carl was also strict and scared me at times.

"Is Paul with you?" I looked around, trying to spot the boy.

"He's somewhere about the place. That boy is like an annoying fly, buzzing around in unwanted places." The old man slowly walked to the shelf and grabbed a box of chamomile tea bags.

I stayed with him, not trusting his shaky hands and slow walking to keep him standing. "Can I take you back to your grandson?"

Glossy eyes peered at me sternly. "Go away. Come by for dinner on Wednesday, but go away." He shooed me off.

That's mean, Carl.

Like the stalker I was, I pretended to shop at a slower pace and stayed behind the man. I'd sent Paul a text to inform him of his grandpa's whereabouts. If I knew anything about my new friend, it was that Paul never let the elderly man go anywhere alone.

I was proven right when a flustered Paul rushed in and bent to catch his breath. "Grandpa," he panted. "You are in trouble." He stood with his hand on his waist, still trying to regulate his breathing. "You had me looking all over town for you. That's not okay!"

"I am in charge of you. Stop telling me what to do." Carl spoke slowly and waved his grandson off, continuing with his shopping.

Paul huffed. "I'm not telling you what to do, but you can't wander off."

"I raised you. Be respectful." The old man warned.

Paul and I trailed behind his grandpa, receiving glares from time to time. I picked up whatever I needed on certain aisles, but I was mostly done with my own shopping.

"Thalia. It's Thalia. Be cool, be cool." Paul whispered while being anything but cool.

"Where? I don't see her." I turned a full circle trying to locate the woman.

"Don't look. I said to be cool, Jace." He panicked.

"You're not being cool." I harshly whispered. "Where is she?"

"Straight up ahead."

My eyes caught her down the aisle we were on, Carl approaching the oblivious brunette. "Oh, I see her." She was dressed in sweatpants and a hoodie, the attire weirdly suiting her.

"She better run. Grandpa sees her too." My buddy snickered.

I frowned in confusion. "Why would she run?"

"Grandpa met her a couple of years ago and took a liking. Told her to come for dinner, but she never shows up. He says he's been being nice and the next time he meets her, she'll have a piece of his mind." He told me with a smug grin.

I felt a sudden shot of something in the pit of my stomach. The thought of Thalia actually giving in and joining us for dinner this Wednesday elicited a weird but good feeling.

"I was told to come over too." I grinned to myself.

Paul happily smacked my shoulder. "We can build a fire and make s'mores after dinner."

"I love s'mores. Are we having burgers again?" I asked, keeping my eyes on the two in front of us.

"Definitely burgers."

I could hear Mr Lahey scolding Thalia about constantly rejecting his kindness. The woman, for the first time that I've seen, lowered her blank stare and seemed genuinely sorry.

She nodded. "I know, Mr Lahey, but I'm busy with work and..."

"You should be more grateful. Come over on Wednesday." He dismissed her. "And don't try to lie. I know you have Wednesday nights off."

"Mr Lahey, I'm not sure I can make it." Thalia tried to say, but he'd already began to slowly walk off.

While Pual went behind his grandfather, I walked up to Thalia with my trolley to bother her. She groaned quietly when she spotted me, annoyance clear as she gripped her basket of groceries.

Ever since our first lunch two weeks ago, I'd managed to rope the woman into three more meals. I talked her into it by simply ranting until she got tired of saying 'no.' It went the same each time. We'd walk to the same small restaurant, order a different meal each time, Thalia would stay silent and I'd chat about my day and random facts about myself.

I was completely aware of how much I was doing. I was aware of how pushy I was being. But there was something similar about Thalia and I didn't like that one bit.

"So, I guess I'll be seeing you at dinner Wednesday." I smiled down at her.

Her brown eyes scanned me quickly before she turned to the fruits. "You won't."

I refrained from pouting and pursed my lips. "That's too bad. The Lahey's burgers are really good. Best I've ever had. Perfect, delicious. I'm hungry just thinking about it."

Thalia lifted a brow, her eyes inspecting the apples. She put three in her basket before looking up at me. "Then I hope for your sake, Wednesday comes quickly."

I sighed and rubbed my forehead. "I guess I'll see you around?"

"Should I expect you tomorrow for my daily dosage of pestering?" She asked with an inaudible sigh.

A smile broke free as I took that as an invitation but sadly I couldn't. "I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm working a 24 hour shift. I'll make an appearance after that."

The brunette held her basket with both hands, a small hum leaving her. "I'll enjoy the peace while I can then."

"And I'll be by to disrupt that in no time." I winked at her, guiding my trolley to the registers.

Four bags in each hand, I started towards home.

~●~

Thalia didn't show up at dinner on Wednesday, but I enjoyed the night with both Lahey men. As requested by Paul, we made s'mores and sat by the fire he built in their yard.

They lived at the edge of town, so we were a little far away from everyone else. I got to enjoy the forest area of Crystal Valley and the colder nights were almost freezing. It made me almost miss the heat that came with the days.

"Another one?" My friend asked.

"I'm good. I'm gonna kill myself burning all this off tomorrow." I groaned and rubbed my full tummy. "I can't believe she didn't come." I added after a minute of watching the young man burn his marshmallow.

"Thalia? Don't take it personally. Grandpa invited her at least a half a dozen times."

"Why did he though?" I asked curiously.

Paul shrugged and responded quietly. "He said he could tell she was sad and it wasn't right. Sometimes she reminds me of my Mom. After my dad ran off, Mom was solely focused on me, my needs and wants, but she was always sad. She barely lived and that wasn't right."

I sat up and rested my elbows on my knees. "I'm certain she wasn't always sad. She had you. No one can ever be sad when they have Paul Lahey around." I patted his back and smiled when he did.

A nod of agreement. "Grandpa says that too."

"He is a very wise man." I checked the time on my watch. "It's getting late, I should head home."

"Thanks for coming, buddy." Paul stood and lifted his hand for a fist bump.

My fist met his. "Thanks for dinner."

I strolled over to my baby and picked up my helmet off the handle. Putting it over my head, I got on and sped off into town.

The drive was soothing, the feel of the chilly air hitting my body full on. The thrill of speeding down an open road, both fear and pleasure engulfing my body. I'd always craved exhilaration and adrenaline, it was something that scared my family. My recklessness and eagerness to run into fires, my love for speed and freedom.

I slowed down as I reached further into town. There was barely anyone around at this time, except for some night lovers that were still awake. I got a little excited when I saw the familiar woman up ahead.

I revved my bike while coming to a stop in front of her, stalling her slow steps. Thalia eyed me with a look of anger, but I knew she didn't know who it was behind my helmet.

"Can I help you?" She gritted out above the noise.

I shut off my motorcycle and took off my helmet, in fear she attacked me because the woman appeared to be the type. Someone who would fight when provoked rather than run.

"Hello." I grinned while giving a wave.

"Kenzie." She muttered. "Isn't it a little too late for you to be out?"

"I was just heading home from Paul's. Why are you out this late?" I asked, still sitting on my bike.

She shrugged. "Taking a walk."

"Do you make it a habit of walking alone at night time?"

"It's relaxing." She breathed out and I watched as she glanced around us.

I blatantly stared at her, the tiredness that showed and the way she basically hugged herself. It wasn't just the cold, I sensed it was a futile way of protecting herself. I wasn't sure if it was from me or this cruel world.

"Thalia," I started but had no clue of what to say. I decided to ask instead with a happy smile. "Wanna go for a ride?"

She grimaced. "I'm not getting on that thing."

"You can take my helmet." I offered it to her.

"No, then you'll have none."

"I'll go really slow."

"No."

"Come on." I urged, shaking the black helmet at her.

"Never." She muttered.

"Fine." I relented and lowered my hand, thinking. "Can I walk you home?"

"I literally live right there." She pressed her lips together.

I smiled. "Are you trying not to smile?"

"No." She answered quickly.

I chuckled and placed my helmet on. "I'll get you."

She rolled her eyes and walked off. I waited as she got to the small building where she lived, grinning behind my helmet when she didn't look back as she disappeared. Flipping my visor down, I left.

-E

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 45.6K 29
At the ripe age of twenty-seven, Nokomis Reed's love life has come to a screeching halt -- which is why when her mother nominates her to be a contest...
60.6K 2.3K 33
A childhood trauma left her chained in her own mind. Her existence felt hopeless, worthless. The outside world seemed scary yet tempting. She was sca...
733 77 25
Kenna Hatfield was a child kicked out of high school during her freshman year over a dispute within which she should have disassociated herself. Stil...
38.6K 851 34
Jordan Miller is just a 16 year old girl trying to graduate high school. Her abusive homophobic mother hates her and causes her to harm herself. Her...