Savior

By badbrits

"I am the hero of this story. I don't need to be saved." Layla Scott is on the run. She changes her name, cho... More

Prologue
The Girl in 26B
The Boy in 24B
The Girl On My Balcony
The Boy I Run From
The Girl at the Cafe
The Boy That Blushes
The Girl with Chalk (Zayn note)
The Boy with Groceries
The Girl That Bakes
The Boy That Pries
The Girl That Ignores Me
The Girl with Froyo
The Boy at the Bar
The Girl that I Scare
The Boy On My Mind
The Girl that Forgives
The Boy in the Kitchen
The Girl at the Party
The Boy with a Girlfriend
The Girl that Drinks
The Boy Who Stays
The Girl at Dinner
The Boy that Helps
The Girl on the Hill
The Boy that Leaves
The Girl that Forgets
The Boy that Forgets
The Girl with Chocolate
The Boy on the Balcony
The Girl on the Phone
The Boy in the Rain
The Girl at the Door
The Boy with Chalk
The Girl in the Hospital
The Boy with an Ex-Girlfriend
The Girl with the Sketch
The Boy and His Sister
The Girl with the Mask
The Boy at the Market
The Girl who Leaves
The Boy that Shows
The Girl and the Story
The Boy with the Gift
The Girl and the Truth
The Boy I Let In
The Girl and the Mum
The Boy and His Sheets
The Girl with Paint
The Boy Who Doesn't Answer
The Girl at the Bar
The Boy and the Dream
The Girl and the Gallery
The Boy and the Fight
The Girl with the Suitcase
The Boy I Love
The Girl and The Card
The Boy and the Text
The Girl that Goes Missing
The Boy That's Too Late
The Girl and the Game
The Boy and the Bullet
The Girl Who Sleeps
The Boy and the Umbrella
The Girl and the Bonfire
The Boy and the Epilogue
Q & A

The Boy With Antiques

28K 1.1K 732
By badbrits

"Fancy meeting you here."

An awkward laugh slips past my lips as I follow Harry's movements and lock my door behind me. We had somehow simultaneously exited our adjacent apartments at the same time, making for very awkward greeting and even more uncomfortable eye contact.

"Yeah, what a coincidence!" I joke lightly and adjust the strap of my messenger bag as we fall into an awkward silence.

Harry shuffles on his feet slightly and his eyes fail to meet my own the longer we stand across from each other in complete silence. I choose to focus my attention on pulling on a loose string of the hem of my button down denim dress.

I haven't spoken properly to Harry since the night on our balconies. He pried when he knew he shouldn't of, but that wasn't what made me angry. Well, not entirely. I was more panicked and upset at the thought that he could just tell that something wasn't right with me. I know I'm not the best at covering up my phobias and skittish nature, but I don't want the reason to be ever brought up again.

The prospect terrified me. I was trying to move on.

Which made me act like a total bitch towards Harry, which, I'm frankly embarrassed about. Eliza's mini-lecture assuring me that whatever Harry did to upset me was unintentional and that he is truly a cupcake was then backed up by the chalk note I was met with when I made my way back into the café.

But, just thinking of my cheesy reply had me cringing inside. I seemed to be much more confident via our chalk messages than in person.

"Are you on your way to work? I could walk you, I was just on my way actually."

"Today is actually my day off," I smile and Harry pouts slightly before offering a small smile and I decide to elaborate to not come off as rude, "I'm actually buying furniture today."

"After only living here for two months? Whoa, slow your role, next thing you know and you'll actually start sending your mail here." He teases, a goofy grin stretching across his face and I couldn't stop the matching one on mine if I tried.

"The horror." I pretend to shudder which causes Harry to chuckle lightly before stuffing his hands into his jean clad pockets. It's then that I notice the Greenbay Packers snapback covering his mop of curly hair and it somehow made him even more endearing.

"I could... I could maybe take you? I know all the best antique stores 'round that are fairly cheap... You would probably get lost too, Cheshire is pretty complex and scary if you're not careful... So, like, yeah I could escort you 'round if you like. I m-mean if that's okay with you?"

The offer immediately makes my heart begin to hammer at the prospect of spending an entire evening with a male -with Harry. But, the thought of spending it wandering around unfamiliar and crowded streets alone almost causes me to keel over.

I hadn't taken into account how crowded the streets would be when I decided to finally buy a couch today. The thought of bearing that alone was a more terrifying thought than spending it with my neighbor. Harry did have a point and wasn't wrong at all -I had already gotten lost a humiliating amount of times just looking for a grocery store.

"Yeah, okay."

"Seriously, I really want to. I don't want you ending up in the bad parts of town or-," Harry stops trying to convince me when my words finally sink in, "Yeah? You want me to take you shopping?"

My face heats when he puts it like that, but I nod my head anyway, "Yes, please. Only because I've only gone to work or to get groceries -I don't know the area very well. I was just going to wing it."

"Can't have that," Harry's grin is broad and eyes are lit with happiness as he flails his arm in front of him, "Shall we?"

I smile sheepishly and lead the way down the hall, to the elevators, and out the building in complete silence except for the sounds of out ankle boots clicking against the tile. Betsy's eyebrows raise in surprise as we pass her on our way out the door, but she sends us a happy smile as we walk through the doors.

England had become increasingly hot in the last few weeks as May was nearing it's end and I was happy I chose to wore a dress today -not that I have many options. But, I don't know how well Harry will fair with black jeans clinging to his legs.

The streets are filled with the hustle and bustle of employees on their lunches, parents running errands, and children enjoying their weekend. A sight that would bring a smile to anyone else's face, but only made a slight panic claw up my throat.

I glanced up briefly to catch Harry's eyes already trained on me, a slight worried look in his face, but a reassuring smile on his lips. A shaky one forms on my own as he tilts his head to the right and begins to lead us down the less busy side of the street.

For some time the only sound between us is that of the cobblestone crunching beneath our feet, but it isn't uncomfortable like I assumed it would be. Despite my initial anxiety for this outing and the unease with the large crowd of people, I almost find myself... relaxed.

Which only ends up terrifying me more.

"So, where are we headed?" I clear the wobble from my voice in an attempt to distract myself as Harry turns to look at me with a fond smile.

"It's a surprise."

He seems pleased with himself, but little does he know that I despise surprises. And as the streets grow less unkempt and crowded my initial fear begins to resurface.

"This is how all horror movies start."

"I'm not taking you out here to kill you, Layla."

"That's reassuring."

"I would take you somewhere much less crowded and further away. Possibly a dessert or the woods."

"Not so reassuring anymore. Remind me never to go somewhere desolate and remote with you."

Harry's emerald gaze meets my own, matching idiotic grins on our faces before we look away chuckling under our breath. Our banter is easy and light and something that I am definitely not used to. It seems our previous fight just a few days ago is forgotten. For now.

"Here we are. No murder weapons needed."

I hadn't realized we had stopped walking until I glance up and am greeted with a building that reminds me more of a bail bonds store than a furniture shop. Red brick, tinted windows, no promotional signs up front except for the one dangling from the overhang reading Anne's Antiques.

"I was wrong before. This is how all horror movies start. And I don't think I am going to like the ending."

Harry simply rolls his eyes, a small smile fighting it's way onto his lips as he reaches his hand up, as if to grasp my arm and pull me along before he drops it as if remembering something. Instead he simply leads me into the building as I follow behind cautiously.

However, my tune changes as soon as we step through the small glass door.

I hear Harry chuckling from next to me at my reaction, but it barely even registers. The building is much larger than assumed from the outward appearance. All three walls are covered by floor-to-ceiling bookshelves with one of those rolling ladders attached the end and every inch of space is covered by something. Couches, lamps, old telephones, board games, jewelry, rugs, tables, records, knick-knacks, and honestly anything you could possibly think of.

It's a hoarder's paradise.

"How could you take me here?" I whine as I step forward and clutch a miniature cuckoo clock.

"Do you not like it?" Harry's voice rises slightly in panic and I shake my head quickly.

"Are you kidding? This is like a toy store for adults. But, I only have enough money for a couch, coffee table, and maybe some kitchenware and you're teasing me. I want everything."

"Well it's a good thing I have an in with the owner then," And then he winks at me. Winks, "Gemma!" He calls out to seemingly no one until we hear a loud crash sound from the back of the store followed by heavy and fast footsteps thumping against the hardwood.

Next thing I see is a gorgeous blonde bounding towards us while simultaneously dodging the obstacles scattered through the store. Her sudden appearance and determination causes me to panic slightly. I instantly take large steps back until I am against one of the windows and I can't help but cower as she gets near.

"Harry!" She practically tackles him to the ground while laughing hysterically, "I've missed you, you prick!"

"Down, Gemma." Harry teases, but returns her hug with a grin so strong I could swim in his dimples.

It's like I have completely disappeared as the two hug some more before she abruptly whacks him against the head and scolds him for not visiting her more. I'm glad that the two haven't noticed my standing fetal position so I have time to calm down from her abrupt and very loud entrance.

"Sorry, I've been busy getting ready for the showcase." Harry rubs his head and winces in pain as he explains himself to the blonde that has now seemingly realized my presence and stares at me in perplexed awe.

"Who's the bird?"

"Oh, shit, sorry," Harry nudges his chin towards me and I slowly unfurl myself from the window and walk towards the duo shakily, "Layla, this is my sister Gemma. Gemma this is my... This is Layla." A light pink tinge covers his cheeks as he scratches the back of his neck awkwardly.

Before I can even say hello Gemma's eyes grow wide and an excited smile lights up her face.

"Wait, you're Layla?" She exclaims in excited disbelief and I nod my head confusedly, "It's so great to meet you! You have no idea how much-"

"Gemma!" Harry blurts loudly, his light blush now fully red and covering his entire face, "Layla here needs to buy furniture. Let's focus on that and not chat about anything else." He grits his jaw and Gemma chuckles knowingly, leaving me completely confused and left out.

Gemma nods her head reluctantly and we spend the next half hour walking throughout the store's large selection before I settle on a forest green suede vintage couch, a small mahogany coffee table, and basically everything someone would ever need in their kitchen. Oh, and of course the cuckoo clock.

I can't even begin to describe my gratitude for the discount they gave me. Well, practically forced me to accept.

Harry offers his input now and then, but altogether remains silent and hovers over Gemma as if worried she might do or say something to embarrass him.

Gemma is incredibly witty -constantly making digs at Harry's much too long hair and personal choices as he pouts and makes horrible attempts at insulting her back. Instead of feeling awkward and anxious as I usually do in social situations, I find myself laughing wholeheartedly and even giving my two-sense every now and then.

By the time Gemma goes into the back to schedule my delivery I find myself completely relaxed and content. A feeling I haven't felt in a very long time and one I know won't last very long.

"Is this my color?"

I whip around to find Harry's figure completely swallowed by an obscenely pink fur coat. A very unattractive snort is my reaction to his girlish poses -pushing his butt out and placing one hand on his hip with the other flung in the air.

I'm unsuccessful in holding in my laughter as the whole store echoes with the loud sound and I double over from the exertion. He looked absolutely ridiculous and I find it hard to believe that I was ever fearful of this man child. I haven't laughed like this since... well, ever.

When I do finally collect myself, wiping the tears from my eyes, Harry's grin is so large I am afraid it might tear his face in two as he just watches me laugh at his idiocy, pleased with my reaction. I snatch leopard print sunglasses from a bucket and saunter towards him, a few chuckles still falling from my lips.

"This will complete the look."

Without a second thought I step right up to Harry and slip the glasses on his face, my fingers just barely grazing his cheeks. My skin warms considerably from the simple touch and I hear him inhale sharply from our close proximity.

I seem completely frozen; hands still clasped on the edges of the glasses, head tilted up towards Harry's, breath completely halted. The small amount of air between us seems to be thick with electricity and my whole body feels on fire. Harry doesn't dare move, let alone breath, keeping eye contact the whole time. It seems my sudden forwardness has stunted me completely.

And then his phone rings.

I jump back so quickly, it's as if he burnt me. The air I was holding in leaves my lungs in a rush, my heart pounding and my hands shaking uncontrollably. This is the second time I have gotten so close to him without even realizing it.

And I don't like it one bit.

Harry -with the sunglasses perched on the edge of his nose- digs into his pocket and pulls out his phone. But, he doesn't answer it like I thought he would, no, he takes one look at the screen and his lips turn down and brow furrows.

He gnaws on his lips before shoving his phone back into his pocket.

"Y-you're not going to answer that?" I stutter out, unable to meet his gaze, but I hear him sigh loudly.

"It's not important."

He pushes the glasses on top of his hat, giving me a clear view of reddened cheeks, and I feel mine warm further at the sight. I'm not sure what the hell just happened, but the fact that I could get so close to him without batting an eye instantly has my walls drawing back up.

I remind myself that even though I want to start my life over, I cannot get too comfortable. It never did end well.

But, for whatever reason, as soon as Harry suggests a new activity -to most likely ease the tension settled between us- I say yes without hesitation.

"Let's go get some frozen yogurt, yeah?"

______________

FEELS! The next chapter will be part 2 of their outing! But, the next chapter probably won't be up for about a week because I have prom this weekend!

What did you guys think of their outing? Layla is finally easing up to Harry and Harry is seemingly telling the whole world about Layla except for his actual girlfriend, huh? He cute tho, so whatevs.

Vote + Comment because it honestly makes my day and I love hearing your thoughts and opinions! xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61.6K 3.7K 52
Layla French has come a long way from the woman she once was. Life, in fact, couldn't be much better - she has the job of her dreams, her relationshi...
42.5K 3K 29
Dedicated to @me2you804 for the inspiration and @dirtyyarn for the support/edits/ass-kicking Sutton Cahill believes she is broken. Tormented by an ab...
3.8K 180 36
'He wasn't meant to find out like this' I thought to myself. Oh god what if I lose him? I can't lose him. When a new student walks through the school...
151K 8.9K 47
After Layla French's life is turned upside down by the ultimate betrayal, she finds herself at square one. No husband. No home. And no Harry Styles...