Monster Hunter When Fantasy C...

By Landiahazak

Probably one of the most successful video game franchises in recent years, Monster Hunter has always been a s... More

Introduction
Rath: Rathalos and Rathian
Elephants of the North
Yian
Vaal Hazak
Blos
Titanodracon
Cave Crawlers
Gargantugons
Dinosagónia
Gliding Monkeys
Basarios and Gravios
The Three Lords
Fídisuchian
Evolutionary Anomalies from the Sea
Airborne Oddities
Kushala Daora
Skýlosávra
Deviljho
Bazelgeuse
Rajang
Vouvalosauria
Urban Wildlife
Nargacuga
Temnoceran
Penicauda
Equigon
Brachydios
The End

Lynian

236 11 1
By Landiahazak

(Warning! This is a long chapter!)

We often think of ourselves as superior to all other species due to our intelligence. But the simple fact is that Homo sapiens aren't that unique. Throughout the world, many species are capable of doing the same things we believe makes us superior, with some even putting us to shame at these tasks.

Even creatures like parrots, dolphins, elephants, and chimpanzees show us that our intelligence isn't that exceptional, and some species, like one of our extinct relatives the Neanderthals, can even rival us when it comes to smarts.

However, one Primate superfamily has been able to constantly keep up with us in every way. The Lynians contain the only living species who can definitively rival Homo sapiens in wit.

Despite being incredibly intelligent Primates, Lynians aren't that closely related to our own species, having split off from the Cercopithecidae (old world monkeys) sometime during the early Oligocene, around 32 million years ago.

After the initial split, the Lynian superfamily divided into two new families approximately 26 million years ago.

One of these families originally stayed in Africa, quickly evolving to survive in the diminishing forests and expanding savannahs. These Lynians became the cat-like Fellyns. It's as yet unknown why the Fellyns evolved such an unusual appearance compared to other Primates, but it may be possible that our ancestors had something to do with their evolution.

During the late Miocene, a combination of factors such as the tectonic uplift in East Africa, caused the tropical rain forests in the region to shrink. As the forests made way for open grasslands, plants and animals either adapted, migrated, or went extinct.

One of the species to adapt to this new climate was Fellus arborealum, an ancestor to the modern day Fellyns. These creatures would have looked more like small mandrills with cat-like faces, long tails, and a mixture of canines and molars, suggesting a possibly more predatory lifestyle.

This body plan would eventually save them from extinction as it transitioned well in the changing environments. However, they weren't the only Primates to come down from the trees.

When our own ancestors entered the picture, it soon became clear that the considerably smaller Felluses couldn't directly compete with them. However, instead of leaving the areas, or being pushed to extinction, the Felluses evolved to occupy a different niche in the ecosystems they inhabited.

Due to their smaller stature, the Felluses would have been capable of searching areas that were inaccessible to other species. They may have even taken it as far as burrowing, a possible origin to their descendents' short, but effective claws. Unfortunately, their short size meant that they couldn't see over the grass, keeping both predators and other Felluses hidden from them. To compensate for these problems, these Fellyns slowly began walking upright and became digitigrades, allowing them to keep track of what was going on around them.

In addition, large ears positioned near the tops of their head allowed them to hear anything in the surrounding areas. Eventually, the Fellyns even grew sensitive whiskers to sense changes in air currents, making it possible for them to detect objects without the need to see them. With the help of their new abilities, these small animals were able to both avoid danger and find or catch food with ease.

In the end, this combination of traits made it possible for them to become effective hunters and foragers, which in turn allowed them to become smarter. Ultimately, this increase in intelligence allowed the Fellus' descendants to create tools like spears, clubs, sashes, clothing, primative pickaxes, and even medicine by the late Pleistocene.

Eventually, the descendants of Felluses exited Africa and traveled around the world, one species even making it to the Americas. But as they left their ancestral land, these ancient Fellyns inevitably encountered their rivals' descendants: the Homo genus.

It's still unclear whether the interactions between the two genuses were peaceful or hostile. But what is known, is that by the end of the last glacial maximum, at least one species, Felyn felyn, seems to have made peace with Homo sapiens, with multiple fossils belonging to both species having been found together. In addition to this, the bodies lacked any type of damage that can be associated with butchering, strongly suggesting that these bones didn't belong to the casualties of tribal warfare.

This peaceful coexistence is likely due to the fact that all Fellyns have a very similar FOXP2 gene to those of Homo sapiens, making it possible for them to learn, speak, and understand human languages, allowing both species to clearly communicate with each other.

In the end, Felyns and humans became intertwined, with one species always following the other on their journey around the world.

======================================

Without a doubt the most successful of the Fellyns, it's very likely that you have seen a Felyn felyn in your life. Whether it be at work, in the neighborhood, or even at home, these small Fellyns are everywhere.

Just like our own species, Felyns vary greatly in size, shape, coloration, and personality.

Although all Felyns are unique, there is one thing that every last individual has: a pattern on their stomach which coincidentally resembles a paw. It's still a huge mystery to both humans and Felyns as to why all species of Fellyns have these markings, since they seem to have no real purpose.

Currently, the most accepted theory is that the spots are there to differentiate between Fellyn species, as each member of the family has a unique pattern. But whatever the reason for their spots, it's clear that they have become a symbol for many things throughout recorded history.

Many cultures from all over the world depict these paw-like markings in art, literature, and even buildings. In multiple places around the world, the patterns on our furry friends' stomachs are believed to be lucky, which might explain why they're seemingly everywhere. Now even though these clusters of spots are highly unlikely to actually be a source of good luck, it still hasn't stopped humans from convincing themselves that they'll have nothing to fear as long as they have the mark of the Felyns with them.

Of course, this so called promise of luck has ensured the presence of the markings in militaries, hoping that placing these spots on their weapons will guarantee victory. However, this specific act did anger the Felyns who wanted nothing to do with human conflicts, and saw it as an insult. Thankfully, this practice was quickly prohibited in most countries to avoid conflict.

Even though both groups interact regularly in a variety of jobs, most Felyns are strongly against the idea of enacting violence on members of their own species, meaning that they'll never participate in potentially fatal conflicts. This passivity is actually a good thing, as it makes Felyns the perfect peace keepers and negotiators between nations. In fact, it's highly probable that if it weren't for our furry friends, there could have been many more wars.

Of course, peace keeping isn't the only job Felyns have. Almost all opportunities available to a human are equally available to our friends. The only jobs that aren't available to Felyns, are those that are incompatible with their physiology. This of course also applies to humans, with some tasks only being suitable for Fellyn body structures.

Although a good chunk of the world's Felyn populations live with or near humans for easy access to jobs, some groups continue their ancestors' traditional way of life. These bands of Felyns are primarily hunter gatherers who make their villages in secluded areas; however, their diet and preferences of building locations can vary between tribes.

These villages provide us with a window into the past, as it gives us a good idea of their culture before meeting humans. Unlike most class systems of the past, these Felyns cultures don't seem to have any separation between males and females, with both genders indiscriminately sharing everything together.

However, something that is similar to our own civilizations, is that a majority of these tribes will trade goods with each other. This allows the villages to obtain objects that would otherwise be inaccessible to them. Unfortunately, as industries continue to push deeper into the Felyns' homelands, their way of life is threatened. In the past, these events have forced some tribes to either be assimilated or relocated.

But it doesn't have to be this way. Many groups are pushing to have the areas where these tribes live protected. By supporting efforts like these, you can also make sure that these ancient traditions don't have to die out.

======================================

Although most people are familiar with Felyns, not everyone knows that there are multiple species of the Felyn genus.

This confusion is usually caused by the sheer diversity of features in the Felyn felyn species, making a lot of people believe that anyone that looks like a cat human hybrid is a Felyn.

Nowadays, this misconception is something of an insult to other Fellyns. Ironically, despite wanting to be recognized as a different species by everyone today, Felyn melynx may have evolved to have a similar appearance to their relatives because they were trying to pretend to be Felyns.

As apposed to the Felyns who are very social, Melynxes prefer a solitary lifestyle. However, being alone does present some obstacles.

This preference of being alone does give credibility to the theory that in the past, before the rise of civilizations, Melynxes used their incredibly similar body plan to seamlessly slip into Felyn groups, allowing them to get their paws on things that would be much too difficult for them to get alone.

Considering how easy it is to confuse one with the other, this strategy could have worked well for both getting a source of nutrient and for protection. Unfortunately for these sneaky Melynxes, their disguises aren't foolproof.

At a first glance, Melynxes look like any other dark furred Felyns; however, there is one way of telling the difference between them. Unlike Felyns whose patterns vary in color depending on the individual, Melynxes always have pink spots on their stomachs. This one little detail is all that's needed to identify one from the other, as this specific coloration isn't seen in any other species of Fellyn.

In the past, this difference could have been the difference between hiding in plain sight and being exposed. But luckily for Melynxes, this is no longer the case in today's world. Just like Felyns, Melynxes coexist with humans, and are considered as equals, but it unfortunately wasn't always like that.

As far back as the age of the Roman empire, Melynxes were a part of the lower class. The exact reason for this is still a mystery. However, it may be that since Melynxes were once tricksters, our perception of them was warped by the idea that they were untrustworthy. If this is true, then the way the Melynxes were treated actually forced them to become tricksters and thieves to survive.

We know this to be a fact, since despite being of the lower class, Melynxes kept very detailed written records about their experiences. In fact, these records are so numerous that historians have been able to accurately paint a picture of life for the lower classes, recreate long destroyed cities and towns, and even map out underground trade networks.

Eventually, these difficult life experiences would turn the Melynxes' luck around. During the Renaissance, their ability to sneak around and steal things while being unseen wouldn't just be used for survival, but also to resell the things they got their paws on. And once they got enough money from selling their goods, most of these Melynxes would become real merchants, with some even rising to new social status.

As time continued, the idea of Melynxes being nothing but thieves faded away as the Fellyns became a true part of modern society.

But even if they're able to live peacefully with us now, there are still plenty of Melynxes who live a nomadic lifestyle, existing off the grid and only occasionally appearing to trade whatever they might have with them.

Ultimately, the story of the Melynxes is a complicated one. And although they have made some questionable decisions in the past, in the end they're just like the Felyns and humans they coexist with.

======================================

For most of their existence, Felyns and Melynxes were endemic to the old world, only arriving in the Americas during the age of exploration. However, these weren't the first Fellyns to make it to the new world.

Around 30,000 years ago, another species made their way across Beringia and settled in the new world, quickly diversifying into a new species: Felyn grimalkyne.

Despite having a very similar body plan to their old world relatives, there are some notable characteristics that are unique to the Grimalkynes.

Some of these features include noticeable manes around their necks for warmth and to make themselves look bigger, slightly larger eyes for better vision in low light conditions, longer tails, different patterns on their stomachs, and very prominent ears.

These ears in particular are incredibly useful for the Grimalkynes. Their larger size helps the Fellyns both capture noises, and cool down in hot climates, as they can expel more heat through the large amount of blood vessels in these appendages.

Even the small furry tufts at the end of their ears have a use, as they prevent debris from entering and causing possible hearing damages, as well as enhancing the Fellyns' abilities to filter sounds into their hearing apparatuses.

When their amazing hearing capabilities are combined with their exceptional night vision, it's easy to see why Grimalkynes prefer hunting at night.

Although they're still able to eat just about anything that's available to them, Grimalkynes have shown themselves to be exceptionally efficient hunters, utilizing a wide array of weapons and techniques to capture prey items, though these tools, just like the species itself, can vary greatly depending on the area.

For the Grimalkyne tribes living in the Atlantic Forest of the east coast of South America, they primarily use traps to immobilize prey. These traps are usually loaded with venomous or poisonous species. Once their targets are chased into their contraptions, the animals are poisoned, and all they have to do is wait. Other types of traps may include vine snares or nets to entangle targets, allowing them to safely use their glaive-like weapons to take them down at a safe distance.

But sometimes they don't even need to use their traps. Due to their light brown fur with darker accents of the same color and their meter tall stature, these Grimalkynes can occasionally just sneak up on their prey.

Now for the tribes living in these densely forested areas, it makes sense that they live in the canopy as the amount of foliage provides them with both easy to build shelters and covering from larger predators. With the additional help of their claws and longer tails, these Grimalkynes are able to traverse the tree tops with ease, making it considerably harder for both danger and researchers to keep up. It also kept them safe from the advancing colonists and their diseases when they first arrived.

Unfortunately, in the more recent years, their ancestral lands have been shrinking due to deforestation, putting these unique tribes at risk of disappearing. However, with the help of people and organizations who do care about their plight, it is possible to help protect them and their environments.

But not all Grimalkyne tribes are under threat. A bit farther south along the coast of Argentina, another group of these Fellyns call the rocky and arid shorelines home.

But it's not just their habits which are different. Unlike their relatives, these Fellyns have light gray fur with orange patches on their bodies' extremities. Due to these differences with coloration and genetic codes, it has been decided that the Valdes Peninsula population is different enough from other groups to be called a subspecies: Felyn grimalkyne depopula.

Due to the harsh climate they have to endure, these Grimalkynes have had to become much more tolerant of heat, cold, wind and water, as well as being more inventive and opportunistic.

Despite living next to water, one of the biggest threats to this population is dehydration. Because of the lack of fresh water sources in the immediate area, these Fellyns primarily get their moisture from animals.

With the aid of hooked spears and bladed gauntlets, the Grimalkynes of the surrounding areas are able to deliver deep wounds to their prey. This allows these tribes to either wait till their targets bleed out or slow down so they can't get away from the hunters.

When breeding season begins, the Grimalkynes of the areas are quick to jump at the chance for some easy meals. Eggs, chicks and seal pups are all prime targets for the tribes of these regions. However, the Grimalkynes of the coastlines only ever take what they need which means that they leave most of the young creatures alone. By keeping their hunting activities to a minimum, the Grimalkynes ensure that the animals will return to the same shores to breed the next year.

Now even though blood tends to be the primary source of hydration for these tribes, the Grimalkynes will still make rain catchers for when they receive precipitation. These devices are especially useful during El Niño years when they're blessed with higher rainfall.

Water itself holds a huge role in the culture of these tribes, with many of their legends having to do with the sea and its wildlife. In fact, the most prominent figures in their stories are creatures like orcas, dolphins, and whales.

These traditions have remained unchanged for thousands of years. Even when human towns were built on their shores, the areas' Grimalkynes continued to thrive. Eventually, both sides did come into contact with one another. For the most part both groups were peaceful toward each other. Yet when humans started hunting the Grimalkynes' food sources, the local tribes have always been quick to take up arms and protect the wildlife.

Despite being smaller in both size and population, the Grimalkynes' knowledge of the shorelines gave them a surprising advantage during these skirmishes. In the end, against all odds, the Grimalkynes finally came out victorious in 1936, reclaiming the coastlines as their own. In 1960, after some negotiations with the Grimalkynes, Valdes Peninsula national park was founded as a refuge for both marine life and the Fellyn tribes.

Today, the coastal Grimalkynes continue their way of life, though they've also been known to help employees around the park, with some individuals even taking the time to learn human speech.

Now while coastal Grimalkynes have only recently begun to coexist with humans, another subspecies, known as Felyn grimalkyne equesna, has been interacting with us for thousands of years.

Instantly recognizable by their dark blue fur marked with red and white patches, these Grimalkynes live within the Coast Mountain Range and many islands along British Columbia's western shores.

It's unknown when they first settled into these lands; however, some artifacts and fossils belonging to them date back to around 27,000 years ago, making them one of the oldest first nations in the province.

Unlike their southern relative, the mountain Grimalkynes' traditional ways of living have not been affected that much by the presence of civilization. Due to the rugged mountains, many waterways, dense untouched forests, and countless islands, it's easy to see how these tribes managed to remain unchanged for so long.

Just like all their relatives, these tribes are hunter gatherers, feeding off anything that's edible. Although berries, nuts, and other plants are a regular staple of their diet, they are not opposed to hunting large animals. Deers, moose, dall sheep, seals, and even black bears are occasionally targets of these small but fearsome warriors.

Once a kill is made, these Grimalkynes will always thank the creatures for giving their lives. To seemingly honor the animals' sacrifice, the tribes will use every single part of the bodies, with many inedible parts being used for shelter or tools.

When hunting or fishing, mountain Grimalkynes will use spears and long handled axes to inflict damage; however, they have another tool at their disposal for when prey is too fast. Other than Homo sapiens, mountain Grimalkynes are the only species to have domesticated another.

Mimicking our ancestors' own relationship with wolves, mountain Grimalkynes tamed the proto-mammal Shamos by simply sharing their meals. Over time, both species began helping each other during hunts with the Fellyns even mounting the Neotherapsids like horses when chasing down prey. In addition to being excellent hunting partners, Shamos are the near perfect guard dogs for camps.

Unfortunately, this isn't always enough to ensure safety. One species in particular, the Neoraptor Tzitzi-Ya-Ku, is an expert at raiding the tribes' camp sites. As a response to this recurring problem, many mountain Grimalkynes have built musical instruments out of animal horns, allowing them to hopefully make enough noise to scare off marauding Tzitzi-Ya-Kus. In addition to being sirens, these tools are great for communicating over distances, creating music or even giving a moral boost during hunts.

This ingenuity is nothing short of extraordinary. With them living in an environment of many extremes, the mountain Grimalkynes have definitely shown themselves to be true survivors.

However, there is one more subspecies which may be able to rival them when it comes to their survival skills.

Known as Felyn grimalkyne custodirus, these Fellyns have mastered the art of surviving in the Sonoran desert.

Despite inhabiting deserts, these Grimalkynes have had to adapt to a wide variety of environments, due to the Sonoran's climate, topography, range in elevation, and latitude.

Similarly to the adaptable mountain lions and coyotes, these black and white Fellyns with red spots are found in almost every areas in the region.

These biomes include the deserts, thornscrubs, semi-desert grasslands, madrean evergreen woodlands, interior chaparral, and even the coast of the Baja California Peninsula. On rare occasions, they might also venture into the temperate forests, although they will always travel to lower elevations by winter to avoid the snow.

To survive in so many different climates, the Sonoran Grimalkynes have crafted a menagerie of tools to help them in their day-to-day lives. As expected, spears are a staple in their toolbox. However, many of these weapons can easily be modified for different uses such as hooks for grabbing onto things, fishing rods, axes, or even paddles when forced to move across water.

In addition to their multi purpose spears, sonoran Grimalkynes have created makeshift boats out of wood and other plants, nets, water containers, and shields. These tribes will also use cacti and other thorny plants to block the entrances to burrows or caves they're sleeping in. Sometimes, they'll even make huts out of these materials, making it harder for predators to catch them when they're at their most vulnerable.

But even with all these precautions, Sonoran Grimalkynes are always on alert and ready to protect one another. In fact, Sonoran Grimalkynes take this idea of protection to the extreme, with each individual having a guardian partner who'll never leave their side.

These partnerships are forged through a test known as the trials of the sands, in which young adults will have to find a partner, and successfully survive for eight days without the protection of their tribes. Only then can these Grimalkynes be considered adults. Although dangerous and sometimes even deadly, the trials of the sands are an integral part of the Sonoran Grimalkynes' way of life.

Unfortunately, because of human urbanization, these tribes and their traditions are in danger. Highways that cut through the desert act as barriers for both animals and Grimalkynes, denying them access to desperately needed resources, and putting them at risk of being hit by vehicles.

In addition to this, mining activities in the area does major long-term damage to the ecosystems, and land development drastically decreases biodiverse and places where the Fellyns and animals can live.

Despite easily being able to just move in with civilization, the Sonoran Grimalkynes have repeatedly stated, "We refuse to abandon our ancestral lands. We shall protect it like we protect each other."

This determination to defend their homes has had some undeniable effects. Today, the National Park Services protects and promotes the conservation of natural and cultural resources. This includes areas where Grimalkyne tribes live, and the wildlife that coexists with them. If you want to help, there are many non-profit organizations that aim to improve conditions for wildlife.

By volunteering on public lands or local wildlife organizations, staying informed of possible environmental issues in the area, and simply driving safely, you can also make a difference in helping both animals and Grimalkynes.

======================================

Fellyns are definitely a diverse family of Primates, and one we're very familiar with. However, they're only one side of the Lynian superfamily.

While the Fellyns kept evolving in Africa, their cousins, the Shakalyns, left the continent in a mass exodus around 4 million years ago, with most species crossing into Asia. About 30,000 thousand years ago, another migration saw the Shakalyns travel across Beringia, and making themselves at home in the new world.

Despite having dispersed across the world over millions of years, all surviving species of Shakalyns still retain similar body structures, such as their short and stocky build and lack of five fingers. The latter feature is shrouded in mystery, as we still have little to no idea why this family lost their fifth digit. But whatever the reason for this change, it's clear that it became useful, as all known species belonging to the Shakalyns have fewer than five fingers.

However, one species has taken this loss of fingers to the extreme. Personapithecus shakalensis, better known as the Shakalaka people, only have three clawed digits, making them unique even by Shakalyn standards.

(Artist's depiction of Shakalaka tribe.)

Besides only possessing three fingers, these greenish brown Primates tend to be larger than other Lynians, with the average height being around 1.2 meters, though some males are able to reach 2 meters, almost twice the size of their smaller counterparts.

Although most individuals are shorter than the average human, Shakalakas are surprisingly strong for their size, with many of them having muscular bodies.

Because of their muscle mass, Shakalakas are capable of carrying objects that are as large as themselves, such as their expertly crafted stone swords which they occasionally dip in poison, and primitive bombs. However, weapons aren't the only thing they can make.

Despite only having three digits, these Lynians are shockingly good crafters. In fact, this ability to make tools and clothing is one of the first things young Shakalakas learn to do.

Crafting is considered an important skill for Shakalakas because in their culture masks are considered to hold the identity of the wearers, and their headwear must be handmade. Hence these Shakalyns hold great value for their ability to make things.

Usually, the first masks of young Shakalakas will be very simple in design, with the majority of these made from whatever they can find, though coconuts are a favorite material because of how common they are on their island homes of South East Asia.

Once Shakalakas reach a certain age, they'll partake in a coming-of-age ritual, in which the participants are sent out to find and bring back something of value to their tribes. If these individuals are successful, they will not only be considered adults, but they shall be gifted with masks which they can customize in whatever way they see fit.

The more elaborate the masks are, the higher status the wearers have. However, if the headgears' complexity reaches a point where they surpass those of the other tribe members, these individuals shall be given the title of King Shakalaka.

King Shakalakas act as the tribes' leaders, and defenders, using large clubs that are decorated to look like meat, and fire to protect and fight alongside their brethren. Unfortunately for the Kings, even they aren't immune to the dishonor that is brought down upon any Shakalakas who looses, or breaks their masks. If such a thing ever happens, the dishonored will be pushed down to the lowest rank in the tribes.

Because of how important the masks are for the Shakalakas, no one has ever seen their true faces. Some people have claimed that their heads are shaped like cone, but with no proof, this seems unlikely.

Frustratingly for researchers, these tribes are incredibly illusive. Most of the information we do have is from interviews with young Shakalakas participating in their coming-of-age rituals.

One thing that is certain though, is that the lost of jungles is causing more and more territorial conflicts between Shakalakas and humans.

However, by supporting organizations aiming to protect the South East Asia jungles, and helping with the efforts to come to peaceful agreements with the tribes, it's possible to make sure that Shakalakas continue living in their secretive world.

======================================

If we know very little about the Shakalakas, then we have even less information about their South American cousins: Fernepithecus gajalus.

Better known as the Gajalaka people, these red skined Shakalyns are only known to live in the Andes mountains and its borders, making it even harder to find them in the rugged and varied terrain.

Similarly to the Shakalakas, no one has been able to see a Gajalaka without a mask. Though unlike the facial cover of their island dwelling relatives, those belonging to these meter tall Lynians are all identical, with only a few variations in color.

As of now, there has only ever been one documented report of a Gajalaka wearing a unique face mask, which might have belonged to some type of chief. However, the credibility of this claim is questionable since there has never been any mention of a leader when we did have a conversation with the Gajalakas.

(Artist's interpretation of possible Gajalaka chief.)

As far as cultures go, Gajalaka tribes seem to each have their own views on the world, as well as how they interact with it. However, there has been some confirmed similarities between all known groups.

All tribes are known to mark their territorial boundaries with doodles, though it's unclear what these drawings are supposed to be depicting. What is clear however, is that if you see these carvings, it's better to leave the area immediately, since most tribes aren't very friendly to outsiders.

Gajalakas seem to be somewhat war-like, or at least highly territorial, since they are always ready to assault anything they perceive as a threat. Even the more docile tribes will initially brandish their weapons while doing a war dance, presumably to make themselves look more threatening.

When attacking intruders, Gajalakas will use a massive arsenal of weapons to fight. Some of these tools include obsidian machetes and knives, blow darts with poison tipped projectiles, and primitive bombs which may occasionally contain the spores of some types of mushrooms.

According to one of the few Gajalakas who was willing to be interviewed, there are catacombs which they created to help move around the mountain which would explain how they are able to seemingly disappear if they can't fight off intruders.

Unfortunately, this is currently all we know about the Gajalakas. Due to their isolation, clear knowledge of their environments and territorial nature, it may be some time before we can discover more about them and their cultures.

======================================

While the other two species of Shakalyns are quite mysterious, the Capillopithecus boaensis have a well documented history.

Better known as the Boaboa people, their story begins somewhere in Russia around 200,000 years ago during the late Pleistocene. However, despite being one of the later species of Shakalyns to evolve, genetic testing has revealed that they have barely changed from their ancestors, retaining their fur and prominent canines.

The reason for their primitive appearance is because their closest ancestor Lyniopithecus primatarus, first appeared 23 million years ago and went extinct a mere 200,056 thousand years ago. Because of this, Boaboas are also very closely related to Fellyns, despite being from different lineages.

Their older features turn out to be an advantage when an ice age comes around. Thanks to their thick fur, Boaboas are able to withstand the cold winters of the northern hemisphere. In addition to this, their white coloration allows them to camouflage in snow, allowing them to hide from predators and prey.

Large canines allow them to pierce and rip out chunks of frozen meat, negating the need to warm it up with fire.

Small claws give them the ability to both fight back against attackers and retain strong grips on slippery surfaces.

Even their short limbs and almost non-existent noses are made to help the Boaboas survive the cold, as it makes it less likely for their extremities to catch frostbite.

But even with these biological adaptations, Boaboas will still wear clothing made from animal hides for added insulation. These garments typically cover the wearers' faces to protect them from snowstorms, before forming into a hat-like hump at the top which is decorated to look like a Popo, and then finally transforming into a coat-like cape.

Although the extra decorations may seem unnecessary, there's a good reason why Boaboas do this. Due to their vague resemblance to Popos, Boaboa hunters use their disguises to infiltrate the herds, allowing them to seek out the weakest members before launching their attacks. However, despite hunting Popos, Boaboas also respect these creatures, seeing them as sacred animals.

This deep connection Boaboas have with the northern Elephantidaes was one of the reasons for the 4 year long Popo War, where the Shakalyns battled against Popo farmers to decide the fate of the animals. Thankfully, the conflict was resolved by a Boaboa chief named Barogo, who managed to strike a deal with the Popo farmers. To this day, the agreement stands, and there hasn't been anymore human Boaboa conflicts.

Although the long handled spears and clubs of the Boaboas are no longer pointed at us, it doesn't mean that they aren't being used. Besides Popos, there is one animal that all young Boaboas dream to one day hunt: the Beotodus.

In their culture, successfully hunting a Beotodus is considered to be a great achievement, with the victorious Boaboas seen as true warriors and protectors of their tribes. However, this task is incredibly dangerous, and unfortunately, it's not unusual for individuals to be killed by the Piscadracos during their skirmishes.

In recent years, these hunts have become even more dangerous. Because of global warming, the Boaboas are now sometimes forced to fight Beotoduses on ice flows, putting them at a huge disadvantage.

Although Boaboas are adapting to the warming climate, it's still putting them at risk. But if we're willing to sacrifice some of our comforts, choose the more environmentally friendly options even if it's more expensive, and supporting both organizations and governments who are willing to do something about this problem, it's possible for these unique tribes to maintain their way of life.

======================================

Humans are undoubtedly intelligent, but these two Primate families remind us that we aren't that special. In reality, wit is a feature that defines many different species, and it's these smarts that allow the Fellyns and Shakalyns to keep up with us.

Small, furry, tenacious, and Homo sapiens' best friends, the Fellyns may be unusual looking when it comes to Primates, but their adaptability and intelligence have allowed them to become a common sight in our modern world.

Mysterious mask wearers, the Shakalyns may look like miniature versions of ourselves, but there's no doubting that the members of this family are unique in many ways, and we still have a lot to learn about these Lynians.

Ultimately, the Lynians show us that intelligence can come from anywhere and in any shape or size. So even if they're different from us, it doesn't make them any more or less equal than humans. After all, wouldn't we be the ones who are different in their eyes?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.2K 3.7K 35
When the world was first overrun by monsters, I thought a botanist like me didn't stand a change at surviving. Yet here I am months after the pretern...
59K 1.6K 66
I don't think I have to do this, but just in case: I don't own Bloodborne or Monster Girl Encyclopedia, nor do I assert ownership in any way, shape...
35 0 3
A thousand years after the fall of the human race, Earth has recovered and is bursting with more wonders than ever before. The seven great continents...
3.7K 89 19
This story is inspired by a video game franchise known as Monster Hunter from CAPCOM, the monsters mentioned in the story won't be described deeply b...