Duplicitous | T.N.

By sofiamariaisabel1

Aurora the sleeping beauty, damned to a boundless doze. Only true loves kiss had the power to haul her from s... More

Cast
II • Nail chewing is a bad habit
III • Little Miss too perfect for me
IV • What are you hiding?
V • True colours
VI • Prejudice
VII • Physiological warfare
VIII • That one blissful moment
IX • More Angst
X • Every time 'Great' is said, note the sarcasm
XI • Dumbledores Army
XII • Half the angel
XIII • No clubs
XIV • Pure Dread
XV • Spells and Stunning
XVI • Two graves
XVII • A sneaky bugger
XVIII • Drowning sorrows in thick liquor
XIX • Anthony Creevey
XX • Shame
XXI • Downturned Glares
XXII • A brush with war
XXIII • Red & Green Ying & Yangs
XXIV • Two Stolen Angels
XXV • Selfish Hatred
XXVI • Repeated Mistakes
XXVII • Stern memories
XXVIII • Sleeping Beauty
XXIX • To reign hell
XXX • Injuries and Assumptions
XXXI • Armestice
XXXII • Bad news at Breakfast
XXXIII • Forbidden Serpent
XXXIV • Jovial Encounters
XXXV • Daring Lions & Crafty Serpents
XXXVI • I made a friend...
XXXVII • Almosts & Atelophobia
XXXVIII • Triumphed smiles
XXXIX • Hit me
XL • The real Fox
XLI • I can't
XLII • Concealed shames
XLIII • Pretty Blondes
XLIV • Stained, inky crushes
XLV • My father
XLVI • Various departures
XLVII • Owed Favours
XLVIII • Authentic sneers
XLIS • Parrallel || lellarraP • XLIS
L • Fantasy Letters
LI • A corpes' touch
LII • Nott acceptable
LIII • A scented boy
LIV • Cast under influence
LV • An Opal Curse
LVI • The end marks the beginning, the beginning marks the end
LVII • In the rain
LVIII • Cruel Bastards
LIX • A loathing
LX • Red handed
LXI • Deceitful doves
LXII • Once upon a dream
LXIII • The prodigal boyfriend
LXIV • Gothic fears and families
LXV • Bewitched minds
LXVI • The highs and hows of a teenage girl
LXVII • Complexion
LXVIII • Jam on toast
LXIX • Familiar Faces

I • 42 days, 1008 hours, 60 480 minutes and 362 8800 seconds

11.9K 169 96
By sofiamariaisabel1

• Act 1 •

42 days. Roughly, 42 days. 1008 hours. 60 480 minutes. 362 8800 seconds and counting. Grief is a fickle emotion, it can so easily shift. When one dies, there are presumably 5 stages the individual's loved ones often go through. The wizarding world was grieving, and they were currently on stage denial, but not for the correct reasons.

You see, 42 days, 1008 hours, 60 480 minutes, 362 8800 seconds ago Cedric Diggory passed away, a tragic occurrence of course, but the wizarding world had more or less moved on. Obviously, there were certain individuals who would never move on or had yet to do so, but the majority had.

Not only did Cedric die 42 days, 1008 hours, 60 480 minutes and 362 8800 seconds ago, but the dark lord, Voldemort, Tom riddle, You-Know-Who, had returned. Of course, the wizarding community has failed to accept this. In denial, they had formed a thick blanket of ignorance to shield themselves from the brutal truth, because, if the dark lord had really returned, everything would cease to be the same.

She thought of this constantly. Of the denial, of the death, of the truth -what she believed- most of all she thought of her friend, whom she was worried about and unable to contact, under strict orders of Dumbledore.

Comfortably she is perched on the window sill of 12 Grimmauld Place, head against the glass, a thick charms textbook resting in her lap. Fingers tapping on said book to the rhythm of Foolish Games, by Jewel, 1995. Aurora Flores had recently made the splendiferous discovery of earphones. A fantastic muggle device, that when partnered with what's called an I-pod, can play music directly to one's ears.

Arthur Weasley had been ecstatic to learn about the innovation, once Aurora had arrived at the location of the secret headquarters. With nothing but a suitcase filled to the brim with clothes, her owl and earphones, Aurora had been collected from her home in southern London. She likes to think she was rescued from it. Lately, she hasn't been enjoying her home life, the picture-perfect home life.

Aurora and her family upheld the reputation of uttermost perfection. The family possessed the most pleasant genes, the perfect looks and grades. She didn't mind keeping up with the expectations, in fact, she thrived.

Ever since she was an infant Aurora Naomi Flores had succeeded in almost everything following in the footsteps of her older siblings Sebastian and Malachi Flores, both of which also possessed a beautiful appearance and attendance records.

From a young age, Aurora had learnt her manners and was fluent in the language of politeness and kindness. She would never raise her voice or say anything with a hint of aggression.

It had lately become difficult to keep up with her breezy attitude, and polite mannerism. Her family were all experiencing this same feeling of difficulty. The entire witching community had been obsessing over Cedric's demise and the rumours of Voldemorts return that no one had seemed to notice or care about the death of Adriana Flores, wife and mother of three.

Aurora had been sick to the stomach with grief. Her mother, who provided Rory and her older brothers with a home in her womb for nine months each, who birthed them, raised them, and loved them, was dead.

Although death is inevitable, Aurora had been hoping her parents would live long enough to watch Aurora become a woman. Unfortunately, her hopes had been denied.

Andrea Caroline Flores-May had died in an accident outside the ministry. 2 other witches and one wizard died by her.

The department of magical accidents and Catastrophes was the line of work that Andrea did, and although it was her greatest passion it was additionally her destruction. Apparently, according to the Aurors who were assigned the case suggested that she and three other individuals were investigating an incident that involved a Graphorn. The dangerous creature, that had been contained, escaped from its temporary cell and attacked the workers on the case.

Two others were fatally injured but managed to receive help in time. They were still residing in St Mungos under critical condition. One, after two days, was found conscious. According to the nurses and Aurors sent to question him, mentioned that he had said nothing to assist the investigation of her mothers' demise, but would repeatedly claim to spot a rat.

Everyone suggested that during the events of the incident, this man, Charles Burkes, must've received a serious head injury and was speaking nonsense, and therefore was no help in the investigation.

Aurora personally believed the whole situation was utter poppycock. Her mother thrived in the subject care of magical creatures during her attendance at Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry. According to her past teachers she had a knack for animals of all kinds, and at the ripe age of 32 wrote the book on "lethal creatures", hence, Aurora found it difficult to believe her mother was killed by one. Although her suspicions ate her alive, she had no say in the situation.

Her sense of sound had been limited to only the music blasting through her earphones. By the end of the song, Aurora could faintly hear banging noises, which she assumed came from the silly disasters created by none other than Fred and George Weasley. But amongst the utensils rattling in the kitchen, the complaints of Kreacher, who walked past her room, or the bangs of minor explosions coming from the twins' quarters, she could hear talking.

She removed her earphones to get a better listen. It was the voice of her dear friend Harry Potter, in revelation she sprung from her spot by the window and raced down the multiple flights of stairs to reach Harry, who she assumed would be furious due to everyone's lack of response during the majority of the summer.

The headquarters of the order of the phoenix, had six stories, and although Aurora resided in the second-highest level with Hermione and Ginny, she could still hear the voices three floors beneath her, she presumed it was due to the rickety floorboards and walls, rather horrid for privacy she though.

Once her feet met the floor of the second level of the structure, she approached the room, where Harry's voice came, at a leisurely pace. Nervous to meet his wrath, she peeked through the door into the room.

Aurora had rarely been on the other end of his screaming matches, but she knew of the others who had been. Harry was a lovely boy but held the temper and patience of a toddler. She, herself, had witnessed his sassy episodes, and although they never fail to be amusing, you don't want them to be directed at you.

"I'm the one who saw Cedric Diggory get killed" he spoke, frustration evident in his tone. A pang of guilt bloomed in her chest, no one should have to watch that, especially a fourteen-year-old boy who had already suffered enough.

After his remark, two figures appeared from behind him. Fred and George had made their goofy entrance.

"Harry" came George's voice in greeting.

"Thought we heard your dulcet tone" Fred's words followed.

"Oh, Don't bottle it up mate" George suggested, a condescending manner slightly noticeable. "Let it out" amusement radiated off them, clearly taking pleasure in annoying Harry.

Ignoring his brothers' comment, Fred spoke again "Anyway, if you're all done shouting."

"Do you want to hear something a little more interesting"? George finished the sentence.

Aurora could tell that Harry wasn't going to begin shouting anytime soon, with the twins' joyful attitude in the room, so she took this as her opportunity to make herself known. "I would certainly like to hear something a little more interesting" she joked, uncertainty obvious in her words.

All attention in the room shot to her. She stared at Harry expectantly and prayed he wouldn't be too upset. He shot her a look to prove he was unimpressed, but his look soon faded and transferred into a small smile.

She returned the gesture, and with an elegant stride, her curls bouncing on her shoulders in perfect rhythm, her long arms opening in a friendly manner, she made her way towards him. There she engulfed him in a hug. More gentle than the one Hermione had previously attacked him with, but still as loving.

He raised his own arms to wrap around her waist and smiled over her shoulder. After a quick squeeze, she let him go, hands still rested on his shoulders.

"And I'm assuming you also weren't allowed to contact me" although he had been polite with her, he was clearly still peeved about everyone going radio silent.

Her face was etched into one of guilt and apology. Her eyebrows furrowed and her lips pursed into another odd smile. "Yes, but I really wanted to respond, we all did" she turned to face the others emphasising her point.

Her head shot back to him in preparation for his reaction, hair brushing down her cheek. Harry's face contained a blank expression. It was increasingly difficult on everyone else's part to read.

He stared at her and then shifted his gaze to everyone else in the room. Everybody else held a similar expression to Auroras' original one. After a moment of decision, whether or not he'll be mad, he sighed.

Everybody took this as an act of defeat. He was clearly bothered by their acts but chose to brush it off because although he would love to direct all his anger on them, he knew he shouldn't do so. They had no control, much like him.

Rory silently thanked Fred and Georges' presence, Harry wouldn't get too mad in front of them. Everyone else was thankful for Rory's part. She had always possessed such a calming nature and had a talent at diverting it to others.

The twins threw their arms over her shoulders, and with a nod of their head in the direction of the door, inquired everyone to follow.

All the teenagers, including Ginny, had their stomachs rested against the delicate stair railing, heads turned to listen into the giant ear attached to a string, desperate to listen in to the meeting taking place downstairs. The order had requested the children to go upstairs because they were too young to be involved. All of them were appalled by the adults' decision and were going to listen in regardless.

After a minute or two of meaningless information, Hermione's cat Crookshangs stole the other end of the device and terminated the connection.

After multiple groans and complaints, they all resided to their rooms to sulk, because they couldn't be a part of the gathering.

The girls all made their way into their large, shared room and collapsed onto their beds.

Confusion ate at Aurora so she decided to share her opinions on the little information they did hear.

"Why on earth is Snape a part of the order?" Aurora had always had mixed feelings about their potions professor. He appeared to have no specific feelings for her whatsoever, he held no distaste, yet no apparent liking towards her. It was obvious he despised the Gryffindors, specifically Harry and his posse, but he had no opinion on Aurora.

Hermione was first to reply to Auroras comment, "Dumbledore trusts him" she stated, it was clear she was attempting to convince herself along with the other two.

"Snape is a git, and he used to be a death eater" Ginny spat, it was patent that she didn't like him. "They shouldn't trust him."

Hermione sat up on the edge of her bed, hands by her sides to lean against, gazing at nothing in particular. "Dumbledore is the greatest wizard of all time, if he trusts Professor Snape, then" it took her a moment to gather her following words, "then so do I".

"Your hesitation inspires such confidence" Aurora jested. Ginny let out a snort at her comment, while Hermione's head turned to hers, there, she shot her a mocking glare which was quickly substituted into a smile as she shook her head in disapproval.

All girls quietly chuckled at the interaction before chatting up a storm until they heard Mrs Weasley call for them from downstairs. All starving for dinner they rushed out of the bedroom and skipped down the stairs behind Harry and Ron.

Aurora had always adored the cheery attitude the Weasley family radiated, although they weren't faultless, they were certainly loving. Of course, her family was also, but it was never as apparent as the red-haired family made it.

"We'll be eating down in the kitchen" Molly's festive, motherly voice spoke. A huge smile was visible on her face. Her smile quickly changed into one of shock when her two sons, Fred and George, appeared from behind her. As quickly as her expression came it yet again transferred into one of annoyance and slight anger. "Oh! just because you can use magic now, does not mean you have to whip your wands out for everything" she shouted as the boys scurried to the kitchen.

Her kind expression returned when she greeted the other children and asked if they were hungry. And although Harry appeared to have a polite attitude he wasn't necessarily enthusiastic. That was until his attention turned to the end of the hallway.

There in all his glory stood Sirius Black, accused serial killer, illegal animagus and Harry's godfather. He wore a cheeky grin, and Harry's turned genuine as he rushed towards Sirius. Everyone was ever so thankful to watch Harry initiate the embrace, they hadn't seen it in a while.

They parted and everyone made their way into the room to eat. Aurora sat next to Harry who was placed next to Sirius at the head of the table. They all chewed on their food and talked for the entirety of the meal.

Sirius's attention diverted to Aurora who had been pondering on her mother. She sat at her spot fiddling with her fork and poking at all the peas on her plate. Not paying attention to the conversation around her, her face rested on her leg which was bent on the chair, and her other was tucked under her.

She was so lost in thought, that she almost missed the clearing of Sirius's throat. He could guess what was bothering her, only the adults, so far knew of her situation. Once he received her attention he nodded his head at her plate "Rory dear, don't forget to eat your vegetables"

His tone was only half genuine, he said what he said in a joking and supportive manner. She nodded her head and shot him a quick smile before continuing her food.

It sometimes shocked Aurora how kind and fatherly he was as a person. How could one so moral be accused of such horrid acts? It bothered her, what he was blamed of. She hadn't known him longer than a year, but in those ten months more or less, they had built a relationship fit for a father and daughter, obviously, it wasn't near as strong as his relationship with Harry but it was certainly strong.

Their relationship seemed to improve further during the summer. When Aurora had received news of having one parentless, Sirius, Molly and Lupin had taken it upon themselves to attempt to fill the freshly made hole.

Hello anyone who is reading this, I hope you enjoyed the first chapter and I would appreciate if you were to give me suggestions I would love to read them and learn as an author xx

- sofiamariaisabel

Have a nice day

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.7K 1K 35
"love is heavy and light, bright and dark, hot and cold, sick and healthy, asleep and awake - its everything except what it is" theodore not x fem...
122K 5K 22
Draco Malfoy is a womaniser. He never cares for the girls that he messes around - doesn't blink an eye when they confess their love for him, never fl...
12.6K 357 68
It's a recipe for disaster, a Slytherin love triangle with edges so sharp someone's bound to bleed to death. Insidious secrets, broken hearts, a bre...
14.4K 448 26
This is a long story skip to the lemon if you want ya weirdos **slow burner with a lot of lore** A famous pure blooded young witch seems to have caug...