Every Kind of Way

De jlnovelty

Asha Mitchell is all about her education and the next box to check off her list of goals. She never allows an... Mais

every kind of way.
01.
02.
03.
04.
05.
06.
07.
08.
09.
10.
11
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.
Epilogue

34.

18.3K 1.3K 2.1K
De jlnovelty

There was a slight sprinkle of rain as Asha sat underneath the umbrella of a restaurant awaiting Victoria's arrival. They were scheduled for lunch together and while she waited, she listened to the voicemail Blaze left on her phone a couple hours ago. Like she said she would, she notified him once she made it home but it was the last of anything from her. Mess wasn't her style and she didn't like the way he was able to argue and fight with his sister like that in public. It was a turn off though his sister started with him. He let her show Asha exactly how they got down.

"...I know you weren't expecting to see no shit like that but me and my sister gotta love, hate relationship. She wasn't even supposed to be there. Just give me a chance to explain myself, mamas. If you're down shoot me a question mark or some and I'll give you a time and place."

She pulled the phone down from her ear and locked it. Her right mind was telling her it was a disaster waiting to happen if she let it continue, but she loved giving people the benefit of the doubt. It was still a habit of hers she struggled to shake. Instead, she took a deep breath and unlocked her phone again to add him with all the others she'd recently dated— on her block list. Sadly enough that list had grown to be quite extensive. The dating life in Miami was trash and sometimes she simply wanted to call up her ex and get a little fix. But he wasn't too much better.

"Hey Bug!" Victoria beamed. "Guess who just got a thirty five hundred dollar bonus? This bitch right here!"

"Ahhh! Congratulations, Toria. Where's the waitress because now we're taking a quick shot. I don't care if we're going back to work in a hour."

"Whew, I've been waiting to let that excitement out since they told me– which was literally right before this break."

"I bet. You've been talking about all the work you've been putting in and obviously it wasn't going unnoticed."

"And once I clock out, I'm going to treat myself because bitch I've earned that shit. Zeek better not expect to see me when he gets home because I'll be out for a while." Asha laughed. "I'm so serious. I've booked my nail and feet appointment and a last minute hair appointment. 30 inch bussdown."

"Yeah! The energy is making me feel really good right now. I love this, but I do have to tell you about my date with Blaze."

"Blaze? Is he the one from Lauderdale?"

"Girl what? No. That was the one who sent me the voice note of him drunk and crying at 4 in the morning. Blaze is the lightskin with all the tattoos."

Victoria snapped her fingers, "With the double R, yeah okay."

"Yes. Why did him and his sister get into a fight. I mean she threw a shot glass and cut up his arm and everything."

"Whoa, whoa? On your date!?"

"His friends invited him to a tiki bar and he invited me. She wasn't there when we got there but when I came from the bathroom she was. She tried me by calling me Ashley but whatever. Not much was really said cause it escalated fast but my only assumption is that he either is or was messing with her best friend and she let her friend know what was up. Apparently the friend was on the way and he went slap off; all these shut the fuck ups, fuck your best friend, you and that hoe delusional. He even told his friends that his sister was fucking both of them."

"Girl what!? Stop." Victoria started to chuckle and wave her hands around to process it all.

"I promise you. That's when she attacked him. I'm like this is so ghettoooo! He said she acts like that every time he brings a girl around so my guess is he still has dealings with the friend. I mean she told me to my face that he was bitch made and I was going to find out."

"Oh no we're not." Toria shook her head.

"Okay! Imagine dating into some mess like that? I'd be out of my mind. He left me a voicemail wanting to explain but—"

"Blocked. Denied." she shook her head once more. "After the name we don't speak upon, no more explaining and benefit of the doubt. He sneezes too loud and he's done for."

"Oh wow...."

"I'm so serious right now. Asha, you deserve a Russell Wilson. A Lebron. A man that is gonna love you loud, proud, and just the way you want with no questions asked. Ain't no request too much. It's said then it's done."

"I agree. Maybe I need to stop looking forreal this time and just live my life and hope it's like the movies cause this is overrated."

"Do you boo. At least none of these bozos got any coochie from you. Celibacy got you weeding these niggas out quick." she held her hand up for a high five. Asha gave her one.

"You right about that one and it's like the longer I go without it the easier it is because chile I used to moan if I hit a speed bump too hard. Just tragic."

Victoria belted out, "I can't with you! You're dumb."

"I'm being deadass. How's Zeek doing?"

"Better," she nodded with a soft smile. "Much better after closing on two houses. His name is starting to ring some bells. I'm proud and think they deserve celebration but he doesn't. He feels like his strides aren't good enough but he's been happier."

"I know he's grateful to have you at his side. You've been so positive about each route he's tried to take."

"And I think that's why he doesn't want to acknowledge his wins right now. He wants those big wins to feel like he's doing his part in the house, but I'm adamant about money not mattering. I just want him to do what makes him feel good and makes him happy. Money is never an issue."

"Yeah, but you know men and their pride. You're his partner and he probably doesn't like that you're pulling more weight than him. Especially when you work because it's an option. Some people don't have a choice— him being one of those people."

"I know that," she sighed. "I just want him to take pride in his hard work. He's paving his way and I want to celebrate that."

The waitress approached their table and without a second thought they both ordered cajun pasta with a salad on the side. It was their go-to lunch meal and never steered them wrong. Especially Asha because she did not need to be sitting behind a desk drowsy and super stuffed. That would be the quickest way for her to want to call it a day and sleep rather than work.

"So, has anything else happened with you beside dumping mister double R? Nothing at work? Nothing with the family?"

Asha shook her head, "No, not really. Things have been calm. Oh, my pole dancing classes have gotten better and better. They've gotten harder but I'm doing it. You have to let me dance for you one of these days."

"I thought I was going to get a dance for my birthday but nope. When Je comes down and we have a girls night you can show us what you're working with."

"Call her. I haven't talked to that heffa in days."

Victoria pulled her phone out and started a FaceTime call with Jema which made Asha move beside her. The second Jema's face took over the screen they squealed at the sight of her protruding belly. She was in the kitchen eating what looked like avocado toast and a bag of lays chips. Gross.

"Hi babymama. You look all cute with your shining belly." Toria marveled over their friend.

"No I don't. You can't see my face from this angle," she snatched the phone up to show a close up of her face. "I've been breaking out ever since I reached the second trimester. This is stupid."

"Aye, aye! Watch how you talk about my baby, woman. She can hear that." the voice startled Jema as a door closed.

"It's very much a boy and why are you home? I'm on the phone with the girls." she pointed when he came up and drowned her in sweet kisses. "Okay, okay."

"What's good ugly and uglier?" Drew gave them the middle finger.

"If your momma wasn't my sweet grandmother I would've told you something. Now move we want to see Je." Asha shooed him away. He shot another 'bird' and walked out of view.

Someway, somehow and unbeknownst to the girls, Jema found her way back to Drew after spending a year and a half with Dorian. In Jema's words, everything between them was great until he took on his role as Tampa Bay's wide receiver. The position switch from QB to WR was the reason he landed a draft spot, but his ability to gracefully switch gave him quick stardom. Everyone knew about Dorian Ross and the crazy attention shot their relationship thru the ground.

However, Jema didn't pop out with Drew until three months ago and they were already expecting their first child together. No one had much to say about it because it was clear as day that Drew kept her high on love and butterflies. After the pop out, she let the girls know they'd been quietly dating for close to six months. They only told their family because they wanted them to be involved with her pregnancy.

She hardly showed her face anymore but when she did she was happy and glowing— pregnancy aside.

"Chile anyway, you look beautiful." Victoria continued the topic before Drew interrupted. "My nephew is only trying to get cozy in his house. He can't help the way your skin is reacting."

"Yeah, well, he needs to hurry up and enter the real word. The last time I had acne was in early high school. I'm not happy about it, but I guess I love my baby."

"Oh okay." Asha and Victoria said together which made Jema roll her eyes.

"Y'all make me sick. When are y'all coming to be with me? All I do is watch tv and eat."

"When you let me and Asha find out the gender of this baby. Y'all want to wait til birth but we don't. Give the doc my address and let him send it to me."

"Victoria please." Jema shook her head. "We all find out together."

"You haven't been painting?" Asha asked since Je said she's only been watching television and eating. Painting was Je's passion. It was what she majored in, in college and she sold commissions up until Drew made her a stay-at-home girlfriend.

"Like once a week but I don't know...I can't concentrate that long right now. No matter how hard I try. I've been working on a piece for my mom's new office space and it's taking me forever."

"Don't force it. You might not pick up a paint brush for a while, but we called because we wanted a girls night and were waiting for you to come down here."

"We'll be down there for his dad's birthday. Y'all I don't be knowing what to call him anymore. I used to call him grandad because of Bug but he's my baby's grandad now. Like what?"

The girls laughed. "Better call him Dad too."

"You call Zeek's dad, Dad?" she frowned at Victoria.

"It's easy to pick up. It's about to be five years since we've been together. It just happened. I call his mom, Mom too."

"They're damn near about to be married so it doesn't count. But my grandaddy won't even pay it any attention." Asha fanned her hand at Jema.

Victoria grabbed Asha's arm, "Why would you say that? You know something I don't?"

"What? No, I was just saying. And if I did why would I say it to you or around you. Relax a lil bit."

"El-oh-el." Jema laughed and ate more of her chips.

Against her better judgment, Asha arrived at the small taco joint they were both familiar with. It was a restaurant they both had a love for and since she wanted to hear his side of things, she took him off the block list and responded. He asked her to meet him there at six o'clock so she was still in what she wore for work.

Blaze sat outside at one of the circular tables in the corner, staring off at his surroundings. Two to go plates and cups of strawberry lemonade sat on both sides of the table, meaning he grabbed their orders already. She walked up to the table and he was quick to get up to his feet.

"Hi, you look beautiful." he pulled her chair out.

"Thank you." she sat down, tucking hair behind her ear and resting her purse on the table.

He sat back down and rubbed his hands together underneath the table before he spoke, "I know I probably looked like a hoe ass nigga fightin' with my sister like that but she reckless. She's messy and she don't like me. I hardly like her ass but at the end of the day that's my blood. You probably put it all together yourself but me and her best friend dated on and off for bout three years and it's been over with for bout two years. She ain't the issue tho and I don't hang around with my lil sister like that but she fucking my potnas so sometimes they bring her out. I promise you I don't talk and do that type of shit with just anybody."

"She's your sister tho. I know I'd hate for my brothers to talk or do me like that, and yeah I get it she was being nasty but to tell your boys that in front of everybody? I didn't like that. That was a bit messy of you."

He nodded, "I respect it. You looking at me different now."

"I am. I know what you've shown me for the last month and that was nothing like what I seen Friday. Not to mention, everybody was sipping their drinks and side eyeing me like I was missing something."

"Because they knew they told her to come without tellin' me."

"So the whole group is messy. What am I supposed to make of that? Like seriously. They're your friends. You choose to associate with them. Am I supposed to think you're any different?"

He made a noise and his demeanor hardened along with his eyes. It made Asha uncross her legs.

"Are you getting upset?"

"I don't like the way you're makin us out to be terrible, messy ass people. It was one incident."

"And you said your sister does that every time. You said she's reckless and you just told me your friends started the mess behind your back. If she does that every time then they wanted her to do that. Is that not messy?"

"It sounds that way...."

"Because it is and you know it is."

He looked off to the side with his chest rising and falling like he was getting angrier.

"It's fine. I think enough has been said and the way you're huffing and puffing is telling me even more. Our time together was nice. Don't worry yourself with me."

"We're not done talking." he watched her place her purse on her forearm and grab the plate and drink meant for her. "Asha don't walk away and we're not done talking."

"I'm done talking. Take care, Blaze." she walked away from the table and heard scuffling as she headed for the parking lot.

"Why are you being like this?" he came up behind her.

She turned around, "Do not follow me. I said I'm done so it's done. End of discussion."

"Then give me my shit." he reached for her wrist causing her to drop the plate of tacos.

"Don't grab on me." she dropped the drink next to shove him away from her. He didn't let go, still trying to unlink the bracelet he gifted her. "Blaze get your hands off me."

"I'm getting my shit back."

"Move." she was able to shove him the way she wanted to which made him break the clasp. She picked up the bracelet and tossed it in traffic. "Go get it then. Fuck is wrong with you, dumbass nigga."

"Ma'am are you okay!?" a caucasian woman from the restaurant shouted from her seat but Asha was marching to her car.

"See look now both our emotions are high and shit. You got this lady thinking we fighting." he followed her to her car.

"Are you dumb!? Your emotions are high. You're tussling with me over a fucking bracelet. I'm just trying to leave."

"Asha." he stopped her from getting in her car, placed her back against the door and used his weight to keep her still.

"Blaze...I swear to God if you don't let me go."

"Mamas come on, I don't wanna do this ghetto shit with you. We had a good thing going."

"I don't give a fuck about none of that. You have two seconds to let me go or I'm screaming."

"For what? I'm not hurting yo—"

"HE—" he covered her mouth but she quickly slapped it away, glaring at him. He took a step back.

"I'm not trying to hurt you, Asha. I just don't want you to throw our shit away off some petty shit. You won't even let me show you I'm not what you thinkin."

"Oh, you've shown me more than enough. Step away from me and go about your business."

Her chest heavily rose and fell as her heart pounded in her chest and the thump echoed in her ears. She was shaking a bit and if he so much as made stepped toward her again, she would pull her gun out.

"Forreal bruh?" he smacked his teeth. She continued to stare at him, awaiting his next step. "Tuh, aight. Fuck it."

Never in her life had she been put in a position where she was fighting with a man, pinned with no where to go. It was terrifying. Once again, she went against herself to give someone the benefit of the doubt and got bit in the ass. She seemed to never learn.

         The last week of camp was officially over with which meant they were now gearing up for the preseason. Sanchez was amped for the new season to start because he was ready to show the world what he and his teammates could get done. They hadn't done too well for the last two seasons but after a couple trades and drafting a couple rookies, they were optimistic. Before this season they were lacking in what the league considered dawgs; men who liked to run thru their opponents and dominate on the field.

For the last few years rebuilding their roster had been the goal and this summer showed the playoffs could finally be in reach again. It was now preseason after this weekend, also their time to rumble up the talk around the Steelers and show up as a team. But since the weekend was still here, Sanchez's only concern was celebrating Asha's grandfather and probably hit the city limits with his boys.

Rather than fly into Tampa to ride down with his dad, he flew into Palm Beach Saturday morning and was one of the first people at the Loxahatchee home. The big stereo speakers were being drug out the door and the aunties/ sisters were showing up with food to begin cooking.

Since the front door was already propped open, he tapped on it before he walked thru the screen door. His knock made heads peek around the corner, one of them belonging to Sydnie, who broke out into a bright smile.

"Look at that hairrrr!" she sat whatever was in her hands down and met him halfway for a hug. When she pulled back she gently touched his juicy curls. "This permanent or you're going to loc back up after a while?"

"I don't know yet. I might loc back up and get 'em thicker. We'll have to see. Y'all need me to do something? I'm empty handed."

"Uh...we were gonna have Drew do the bounce house slide but you can do it while he tends to Jema."

"She's alright?" he questioned.

"Yeah, a lil morning sickness. The water slide should already be laid out in the yard. Keep it away from the gate but close enough we can keep an eye on them kids." she instructed.

"Okay— G-ma wassup, lil lady?" he quickly greeted when the older woman appeared from the kitchen.

"Oh, hey thereeee," she walked up to him with open arms. "What you doing with this hair? It look healthy too."

"I'm giving the braids a break for a lil bit. Where's OG? He said he was starting his celebration early today."

Grandma rolled her eyes, "He in the room eating so his friends can bring all that damn liquor. The man ain't drink in years so I know I'm gonna catch hell tonight. But he said he wanna do it big for today."

"Asha won't let him go overboard," he chuckled. "She know he's supposed to be drinking?"

Grandma lifted her 'brows with a tight lip smile which meant she wasn't aware and would probably have words. Sanchez shook his head and their conversation faded off so he could get started on blowing up the water slide. He hung the carry-on he brought with him in the hall closet then went out to the backyard. Elijah was squatted down at the hose hydrant filling up four large pails with water balloons.

"Bud wassup?" he spoke, catching the fourteen year old's attention.

"Wassup Sanchez?" he gave him a nod. "I didn't think you were coming today. The season's about to start."

"Come on now. Your grandaddy is turning 70. It's a milestone. I leave tomorrow tho. What you been up to?" Sanchez asked while plugging the slide up to the outdoor extension cord.

"Nothing really. Just waiting on school to start."

"You're that excited for your freshman year?" Sanchez laughed.

Elijah smiled, "I can finally take theatre and join the drama club. I been waiting on this."

"Oh yeah, you do want to be the next Denzel Washington."

"With a lil Will Smith but yeah. They have three showcases and a big play every year so I know it's going to be fun."

Sanchez nodded, "Whatever you have during the second semester let me know. I'll show my support."

Elijah nodded with a bright smile that made Sanchez softly laugh and pat his shoulder before he walked off. He cut the pump to the bounce house on and watched it slowly fill with air. It took about ten minutes for the bounce house to be full and sturdy. He waited for Elijah to finish with the water balloons before he connected the water hose to the play house slide.

After he had it set up and running properly, he trailed around the the house to meet his dad and them. He already knew they were outside when Ruben texted to see had he made it. The truck was parked in the grass across the street with its doors open. Ruben and Khadija were putting shoes on the girls' feet. He leaned in the front to show his face to his sisters. They both screamed.

"Hey, munchkins." he leaned in the backseat. "Don't y'all look so pretty!" he reached and grabbed their fingers.

"How long you've been here?" Ruben unbuckled Isla from her carseat and placed her down on the ground.

"Forty, forty five minutes."

He got out the truck and pushed the door shut. Isla approached him with her arms in the air, marching her feet to be picked up. He lifted her up and tossed her to the sky which made her grin and giggle. He did it a few more times before bringing her down and tickling her. When he stopped she let out a dramatic sigh that made him chuckle and kiss her forehead.

"You ready to have some fun today? You're gonna eat some good food and get wet. You ready for that?" he poked her.

"Yes!" she couldn't stop smiling.

Indya came running from around the back of the truck with her arms stretched for her turn. He placed Isla down and scooped her up for the same amount of love and affection. She enjoyed it so much she nearly squirmed out of his arms from her uncontrollable laughter. He gave her a few snuggles and kisses before he let her down as well.

"Don't be surprised if Isla stick to your side today. She's been trying to call you since this morning." Ruben locked up his truck as pointed toward the house for the girls to start walking.

"I didn't get a call from y'all," he reached for his phone.

"We didn't let her call. She was just gonna sit there and look at you anyway."

Khadija joined them on their stroll toward the driveway, "You looking nice, Noo."

"Thank ya," he dusted his shirt like there was something on it. "I need to be on girl duty today or you not helping in the kitchen?"

"They'll probably call me in there but I'll be able to see them from the kitchen. Don't worry yourself with being hyper-focused on them. They got their daddy."

"Daddy gon' be sippin' on oil." Ruben held up his bottle of Dusse.

Khadija shook her head like she hadn't known already while Chez softly chuckled. The garage door started to raise which made him and Ruben pull back from the girls to see who was inside; Ashton and Grandad. They were gathering the tables and chairs to take to the backyard. Sanchez walked over and took a table from Grandad's hands.

"Swift feet Harmon." Grandaddy grinned with a clap. "It's good to see you, boy. I ain't know if you was coming or not. I'm glad to see you tho."

"Come on now. It's your birthday. I had to! How you like that gift I sent down for you?"

"Owee, I sholl appreciated that Chez. Me and Gwen went up to Daytona and had a good ol' time." he followed Sanchez around the house.

"That's what I like to hear. You feeling alright today? I heard you tryna drink. You know your grandbaby won't have that."

"And that's why she won't know. You keep ya mouth shut. I feel good and still look good. I'm celebratin' that."

Sanchez chuckled, "I wish you well on keeping that a secret. I do need the regimen tho cause I'm tryna be like you at seventy."

"Yeah what's the secret, Pop?" Ashton leaned the chairs he held against his legs, waiting on Sanchez to set the table up.

"I'ma tell y'all like this," he pointed. "Keep you a good woman, keep her happy so she'll keep you happy, smoke a lil mary jane, and never take the taste of rabbit out ya mouth. You'll feel just like this and I guarantee you that."

"Rabbit?" Sanchez frowned, flipping the table over on its legs and stepping aside for Ashton and Ruben to put the chairs down.

"Good pussy." he answered, bluntly.

"Nahhh!" Sanchez bursted out laughing. "You gotta be stopped, man. You too old for that."

"I ain't never too old for rabbit! Ain't no such thang. I'ma keep turnin that round ass over for as long as I live."

Ruben and Ashton simply laughed while Sanchez stared at the old man in pure shock. He was laughing but he still couldn't believe the words coming out of the man's mouth. Especially when he knew the woman he was talking about. It shouldn't have been surprising when their youngest child, Drew, was the same age as him.

"I can't wait until the drinks start flowing. This man is gonna trip me out." Ashton continued to laugh and shake his head.

"I'm tellin' it like it is. When you live this long you'll understand that when it's good it'll never get old to ya." Granddad gave a nod with pride.

"You gotta stop OG. I can't hear this, man." Sanchez held his hands up and walked to grab another table.

Over the years he was more than certain everyone in the family had the same personality. They were all very outgoing and expressive with their thoughts, never holding much back. A lot of topics he didn't think would be discussed between different age groups were had, and it'd be had over a card game or openly in the living room. He found it hilarious and knew that was part of why they were close knit. It also made for a good time. Especially when the Mitchells (Ashton's side of the family) joined the fun on major holidays.

Close to a hour and a half later, the yard and house was filled with people and a mixture of r&b, blues, and rap was playing to satisfy every generation. The three tables they brought out were occupied with people for a spades game, a dominos game, and the longest one had the teens who wanted to be on their phones. At the moment, Sanchez sat in a chair off to the side of the dominos table waiting to take the loser's seat.

His attention was taken from the game when Jeremiah walked up with a young girl behind him. Sanchez assumed it was his girlfriend. He'd seen her a picture or two of her but couldn't say he remembered what she looked like.

"Fellas, fellas wassup?" Jeremiah rubbed his hands together then gave Sanchez dap, "Chez, my boy, what's going on?"

"I'm chilling. I thought you said you was back in the weight room again, lil bro? I don't see no muscles." Sanchez teased.

"Aye watch out, I'll be a bulldog again soon. Give me like five, six more months. The boy got a eight pack tho so that's all that matter right now."

"You don't have a eight pack, nigga." Drew scoffed. "Stop lyin'."

Jeremiah raised his shirt, "Who!? Quit playing with me, Unc. I'm skinny but I'm like that."

The men at the table laughed.

"Anyway, this is my girl Nautica. Babe this is my granddad, you know my dad, my uncle Drew, Big Ruben, and this Chez." he introduced her to the table.

"Asha's Sanchez?" her eyes slight bugged, shocked.

Jeremiah laughed along with Ruben and Ashton, "Don't let Bug hear you say that, but yeah."

"Nice to meet you, Nautica." Sanchez chuckled at the regret that had taken over her face when she was laughed at.

"Likewise."

It was the first time anyone outside of immediate family had lumped him and Asha together like that. When extended family met him for the first time he was always introduced as a friend of the family. Not too many were even aware of their relationship. He knew that because he was asked whether he saw her in that way on one too many occasions. He was sure it was because of how close they'd been his first year of coming around. However, the questions came to a halt when her ex-boyfriend was introduced and his ex-girlfriend made a single and brief appearance.

"Let me finish my rounds and I'll be back to spank y'all," Jeremiah latched onto Nautica's hand and led her toward the back door of the house.

Grandad slid his domino across the table the peered over at Sanchez, "You and baby still being funny with each other?"

"What you mean? We be chilling." Sanchez replied.

"Meaning, yeah they are." Ashton answered. "You still with that one girl?"

"Nah that ended months ago. Y'all boys better not start acting like Syd and G-ma now. Me and Asha was years ago."

"Watch his tune change. She pulling in right now," Drew made them all turn to see Asha backing in an open spot on the side of the house.

She climbed out and grabbed two gift bags from the back seat before she started her strut toward them with a smile on her face. Mm, mm, mm, Sanchez thought to himself. She sported a white cropped wife beater, green and white Hollywood Hideout shorts, scrunched socks with a pair of crocs. Half her curls were twisted up in a claw clip and what couldn't fit draped along her shoulders.
"Ah, happy birthday old man!" she squealed, tightly hugging her granddaddy's neck and kissing his cheek. "How are you feeling?"

"I feel good, baby. You let everybody beat you here. What happened?"

She huffed, "I slept through my alarms, but I come bearing gifts and my beautiful face so. Hey daddy," she started to go around the table with hugs.

She did the same for everyone; a hug and a kiss on the cheek. The routine switched up when she got to Sanchez. Instead, she gave him a mean eyeroll with her hand in his face, going around him. He smirked and waited for her to come from behind his chair to pinch her leg.

Like she anticipated him touching her, she quickly pinched him back. He licked over his lips to keep himself from laughing as she stood their like nothing was happening. The laugh slipped from his lips when the men at the table looked at her, wondering why she was just standing there.

"What?" Ashton was the one to ask.

Instead of answering him she stopped pinching him, smacked him in the chest then walked off. He called behind her, "Hey to you too!"

"Shut your face!"

"Noo, my feet!" Indya limped over to her big brother with a soft hiss and a concerned little boy behind her. Sanchez scooped her up in his lap and raised her foot to see a grass sticker.

He pulled it out and massaged the spot she'd been pricked at then let her back down, "All better. Where are your shoes?"

"I no want 'em. I playin wiff them." she pointed to the boy that was standing a few steps back like he was in trouble.

"You still need your shoes, Indy. Bring them to me and I'll put em back on for you. Is Isla still on the water slide or she's playing with y'all?" he mindlessly wiped the sweat from her forehead.

"She wiff daddy. I get my shoes. Come on," she grabbed the boy's hand and ran off the porch. 

Sanchez knew she wasn't coming back with her shoes because she liked to be without clothes running and flipping around. She may have been afraid of water but she wasn't scared of much else. She was a tough little girl meanwhile Isla was fragile unless someone was messing with Indya. She'd then turned into big sister got assertive.

"How old are they now?" Jema asked from her seat on the other side of the table. Both of them were propped up at a table on the porch. She'd been there for a while but he was resting after two games of kickball.

"They'll be three in February."

"Wow, time goes fast. I remember when you told me they were on the way. Sheesh."

It was then Sanchez's eyes went down to her small protruding belly. He hadn't known she was pregnant until today and he knew for a fact Dorian wasn't aware— the man would have a fit. He was still broken over Jema and it took him down the wrong path at first but even in his 'bounce back' stage he was stuck. Sanchez didn't think he deserved to be after he let the road get the best of him. But he wasn't in a relationship his rookie year nor was he a household name like Dorian so, he wouldn't know what the road life was like for his best friend. All he knew was it hurt Je terribly and she walked away from him.

"You know what you're having yet?" he tore his eyes from her belly and asked.

"We don't want to know until after I give birth but I'm pretty sure it's a boy. Drew's betting on a girl. Either way we won't know for a long time."

"Sanchez!" his name called from the kitchen window. "Come get this plate and take it out there to Jema."

He got up from his seat and walked inside the house to the kitchen where G-ma's sister stood. She handed him the plate and told him Jema wasn't allowed in the kitchen because she was pregnant. He only nodded and grabbed a water and soda to take with it.

He walked out just as Drew walked up half wet. Sanchez sat the plate and drinks down in front of her. Drew sighed, "Thank you for that, Chez."

"It's cool." he fanned his hand.

Not a second later, he was busted in the chest by a water balloon, soaking his shirt. He looked up to Asha with her hand over her mouth, "That was meant for Drew."

"Get. Her. Ass!" Drew handed over his water gun.

"No, stop." she ran off.

Sanchez didn't bother to chase her. He removed his phone from his pocket and took off his sneakers. He wanted her to think he wasn't going to get his lick back so he took his time refilling the gun as kept track of where she went. She was busy chasing Elijah.

He crept along the water slide and waited for Elijah to take her around the large tree where he cut her off, allowing Elijah to get away. She didn't have enough time to react before she was being sprayed in the face.

"Wait, wait!" she quickly ducked and ran back around the tree.

He followed behind her, steady spraying her down, "Nah, ain't no wait. Say ahh."

She threw her last two balloons at him then ran off but he was right behind her. He wasn't going to let her get away just yet.

"He's got Asha! Get himmm!" he looked to his left to a group of kids coming toward him with both balloons and water guns.

He sped up and snatched Asha back by her shirt. He put her in a chokehold, holding his weapon out to the group of kids, "Back up. This my get back."

"Let her go." one of the little girls stood with her arm cocked back, ready to launch the balloon.

"Whatever y'all do it's gonna hit her first. Just back away and let me handle mine or I will spray y'all down."

They all looked to one another for answers. Sanchez took that moment to disappear behind a truck. Asha slipped from under his arm but was quickly caught by her wrist and pulled back. She fell to the ground.

"Apologize." he stepped over her and locked her in between his feet. She said no. He sprayed her in the face. She squealed in laughter with closed eyes, trying to blocked her face. "Apologize."

"Never!" she refused.

"I'll empty the clip then." he quickly pumped and sprayed her down until there was no more water in the gun. She dropped her arms, heavily panting with a smile on her face, "Look at you. Damn near drowned."

"Yeah, and you're an asshole for almost drowning me. You got your lick back. Help me up." she pushed up from the ground.

"No." he moved his feet from under her. She swatted his ankles and pushed him from over her. "Oh, feisty."

"I should beat your ass for getting my hair this wet." she bucked at him once she was on her feet.

"Do something then," he dropped the gun and left himself open to hits by holding his hands in front of him.

"I'm too pretty to fight." she walked by him, sure to flip her hair and swap him with the wet strands.

"Oh, that's what I thought." he called behind her.

"Kiss it." she pat her ass.

Not done playing, he ran up behind her and snatched her up in one arm, yelling for the little kids to get out the way. He ran half way up the water slide stairs then tossed Asha over. Unexpectedly, she grabbed both his arm and hair to take him down with her. They rolled then slid down into the small pool at the end, crashing into one another.

The kids that moved aside all giggled and clapped while Asha tried to choke him. "Look what you did. You play so much."

"Look at y'all!" Sydnie's shout from the porch startled them and a few others around them. "Now y'all gotta eat soaking wet!"

"See what you did." Sanchez put it on Asha as he started to get up and climb out.

"Me? Oooh I really can't stand you, you know that? You make me sick." she growled at him.

He only smiled down at her.

"Shut. Up." she tried not to smile but did anyway.

"I didn't even say nothing. But what I tell you huh? You look at me and you're all 32. It's cool, I be happy to see you too, stink."

"I've developed a smiling condition. It has nothing to with you, stink. Now leave me be so I can change please." she turned away from him.

He chuckled to himself. He went back over to the truck he'd left the water gun beside then placed it in the pail the water balloons had been in. Sydnie still stood on the porch giving him the same look she'd given to Asha.

"Too damn big. Both of y'all...." she sized him up and cracked a smile, shaking her head. "What am I gonna do with you two?"

_____

Q U E S T I O N S

1. who thought it would be Dorian & Je instead of Drew & Je? any thoughts on them and her being pregnant?

2. how do you feel about Asha's latest interaction with Blaze?

3. atp that's Sanchez's family lol...any feelings about the way he interactions with everyone?

4. what are your thoughts about Asha & Chez?

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

564 2 12
Dreams a party animal to say the least, a wild card, someone that's always down for whatever whenever. But she's also the queen of getting her get ba...
25.2K 3.8K 54
Knowing what you want and allowing what you don't want is surely an hard thing and Demar had been biding his time. One thing for certain is that he d...
Ocean's Views De Belinda J

Ficção Adolescente

1.8K 101 15
Ocean's views changes just as the tides. And this year Ocean will see that just being the typical high school popular girl is not an option. Life...
Unexpected Love De Sash💜

Ficção Adolescente

26.2K 2K 35
"We need to talk".... "I've got nun to say to you Carru. So leave me alone".... "I said, we need to talk!".... "Who do you think you are ordering me...