His Thing

By iwantaferret_

The year is 1959, and Davey Jacobs has been swooned by none other than Jack Kelly. But it's not so easy. Try... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26

Chapter 12

148 8 14
By iwantaferret_

Davey sighed as he wiped down the tables, checking to make sure it was shinier than a chandelier. Jack was coming within thirty minutes.

And everything needs to be perfect.

"Will you stop cleaning?" Sarah held her place in her book with her finger, the sound of cartoons in the background. "I'm sure he's been in way worse conditions."

Davey ignored her, barely sparing her a glance as he walked up to his little brother. "Les, could you turn the TV off? We have a guest arriving soon."

Sarah rolled her eyes and walked into the kitchen, where her mother was cooking and her father was keeping company.

"Who is this guy, anyway?" Les moved to the screen, turning the knob and shutting the machine off. "Do I know him?"

"How would you-" Davey shakes his head, helping his little brother stand up. "No. He's a friend from my school."

"I know people from your school", Les scoffed, running into the kitchen to grab the silverware as Davey grabbed the plates. The older stared at him with question.

"What?"

"I have my ways."

Davey chuckled just before there was a knock on the door, gasping. "He's here."

Les furrowed his brows and stared up at his big brother, watching as he ran a hand through his hair furiously.

Davey attempted to look presentable. The plates were different whites and the silverware didn't match—not to mention the napkins were paper instead of cloth, something Davey spent an hour trying to fold—and he believed this was the least he could do. So, he took deep breaths as he walked into the kitchen and left Sarah to open the door.

"Kelly", she sighed, staring up straight and attempting to be civil, considering the last time they saw each other, choice words were, well, chosen.

"Sarah", Jack greeted, sending her a nod. He cleared his throat and tried not to make it too obvious that he was more interested in her brother. "How are you?"

She hummed and left the doorframe, leaving it open for Jack to walk through. He shook his head and entered.

It seemed nicer than it was before, not that it was nice. There were certain things about the apartment that were different from when he first came here. Davey.

"Hey, you." Jack looked down to find a kid staring up at him. "Who are you?"

Jack chuckled and crouched to the tykes level, putting his hand out. "The names Jack Kelly. Who are you, kid?"

"They call me Les. Davey's my older brother."

"Yeah, no kiddin'", Jack smiled, shaking hands with Les. His hands were definitely smaller than he was used to—Jack hadn't shook a hand smaller than his since he was young—but they made it work, with the older's hand almost completely swallowing Les'. The kid had a very strong shake, though. "How old are you, Les?"

"Near ten." Jack chuckled and looked around, leaning closer and lowering his voice.

"Well, if you ever get into my profession, tell people your seven, alright? Younger sells more papes, you know?"

Les nodded, his eyes filled with admiration. Davey walked in, a happy smile on his face. "Hey, Jack."

Jack winked at Les and stood up, facing his boyfriend. "Hey, Dave."

Well, this was awkward. Normally, one would greet the other with a kiss or a hug, but that didn't seem very appropriate, considering Davey's parents and kid brother are right there (and neither of them know about this little thing they have going).

"Dinner's ready", Esther called, gasping when she saw Jack. "Jack, darling! How are you?"

She went over to hug him, Jack chuckling. "No better than you could ever be, Mrs. Jacobs."

Esther chuckled just as Mayer walked out of the kitchen, his arm still in a sling. He reached out his left hand towards Jack, expecting a shake. "How have you been, son? It's been a while since we last saw you."

"It's been great", Jack nodded, shaking the older man's hand. "Schools been bustin' my back, but what are you gonna do, you know?"

Mayer laughed and patted his son's best friend on the back. "At least you're getting an education."

Jack smiled at the older man, nodding his head slightly. He didn't care much to have an education. It's not that he wasn't grateful that he's getting one—or that Medda could legally put him in school—he just believed he'd be fine without one. And he probably would.

Besides, he has something far better than school.

"Alright, guys", Esther says, carrying three bowls toward the table along with her daughter. "Food's here."

Jack grabbed a bowl and set it down in front of Davey, giving a thanks to Esther and Sarah. He smiled at the other teen and sat next to him, pulling his chair in.

The two of them watched as Davey's father pulled a chair out for his mother, a small glance exchanged between them, but the size didn't compare to the love and admiration that was in that one look. Just one look.

Davey looked at Jack and smiled, everything he could give to him in his eyes. The taller blushed slightly and looked away, a soft smile on his face.

"Alright, kids", Esther smiled, seeing Mayer sit down. "Tuck in."

An array of flavor, kindness, and just plain warmth filled Jack's chest when he put a spoonful of soup in his mouth. He didn't remember eating anything like this, even when he made his own soup. I guess things just taste better when they're made by someone else.

"So, Jack", Mayer starts, holding his spoon in the bowl, his hand cover the neck. "What do you plan to do for a living?"

Jack swallowed, having to think about it. "Honestly? I'm not sure yet. I want to work somewhere that makes me happy, you know? I'd also like a few kids runnin' around, makin' messes everywhere."

Davey choked on his soup, sending him into a small coughing fit. "I'm fine."

Esther stared at her son with a raised brow, nodding when she made sure he was okay. "You want kids, then? Why?"

Jack smiled softly, already thinking about his future again. He always thought about this, it was a way of escaping. The comfort of knowing that there was a future out there for him, even if there wasn't, was the second thing that kept him sane, right after knowing there's someone he can share it with. "I love them."

"Glad to know", Les responded, stuffing a spoonful of soup in his mouth. Jack laughed at the face he made. "Momma, why do you have to put extra vegetables in my soup? I hate them."

Esther sighed, rolling her eyes with a smile. Jack chuckles.

"If you don't eat you're vegetables, you can't grow big and strong, now can you?" Les looks toward Jack and shakes his head, listening to his every word. "So what do you think about that? Should you eat 'em?"

Les stares at his bowl of soup, contemplating. When Davey sees his little brother begin shoving his carrots into his mouth, he knows the night is going great.

——————

Jack wasn't exactly prepared for that.

Davey's family is lovely, and has shown him kindness he's only ever found in three people in his entire life. They were kind, smart, and witty, just like Davey was. He especially liked the kid, Les.

Jack smiled at the thought as he stood outside on the metal terrace, looking out at the moon and barely visible stars. The night was still beautiful, despite the running motors and loud voices. This was his city. He's the king.

"Hey", a voice called, stepping through the window and to the outside. "You okay?"

"Yeah", Jack nodded, a genuine smile on his face at the sound of his boyfriend's voice. "Even better now that you's here with me."

Davey giggled and stood next to Jack, their elbows touching discreetly to not add attention to themselves. They watched the unmoving stars shine against the black sky, content in the way the wind moved against their hair and the small glances toward each other. Jack smiled.

He turned to the shorter and grabbed his hand. "I want to dance with you."

Davey laughed, his head thrown back in bliss and happiness. "What?"

"Dance with me, David Benjamin Jacobs", Jack demanded, biting his lip as he moved his feet to an imaginary beat, making Davey laughed even harder. "Come on!"

"Oh, my God", Davey mumbled as he took Jack's hand in his and silently agreed, much to Jack's delight. "Sorry if I step on your toes."

Jack chuckled, pulling Davey closely and placing his hand on the small of his back. "It's okay. Just enjoy it."

There was music. It wasn't loud, or soft, or even heard, but it was there. They heard it with the soft patter of their feet against the metal beneath them, in Jack's horrible singing and Davey's contagious laugh.

Jack pushed Davey out with a spin, pulling him back in quickly. Davey giggled, seeming to be disturbing the entire neighborhood, and laughed into Jack's chest, the taller's laughter felt on his cheek.

They basked in the moment of just being with each other, happy to be in each other's arms. Davey looked up and smiled at his first love, the lovely brown mixing with clear blue.

Jack tilted Davey's head up with two fingers, pushing their lips together softly, living in their moment.

His news can wait.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.3K 893 50
What could possibly make Spot so shaken up he'll hand over Brooklyn? What could make Jack so shaken he'd give up Manhattan? Only one thing: Race and...
2.2K 85 12
JOSEPHINE COBURN'S life was the same old routine; go to work, perform a show, and go home. one day of seeing jack kelly and her daily routine changed...
13.8K 667 15
The story of the famous Newsboy Strike of 1899, but with a little twist. . Jack Kelly x Crutchie Morris
7.7K 300 47
PLEASE READ "Carrying The Banner//A Modern Day Newsies Story//COMPLETED" FIRST! You do not have to but it would help a lot. Finally, the strike is ov...