Ballad of the Desert

By LeftToFly

Raised by wolves that prowl the Western desert, Jade learnt to become human again after saving a man dying of... More

Chapter 1 (Part 1)
Chapter 2
Chapter 3 (Part 1)
Chapter 3 (Part 2)

Chapter 1 (Part 2)

278 16 22
By LeftToFly

This bag should last me long enough until I find a job in the city. I wonder if I'll see Wei again when I go there? I wonder what Jianan City looks like...

Brother Wolf greeted her from the entrance of her cave and followed patiently at her heels as she plopped down on a chair inside. With a gentle clinking, the bag of coins was placed on the table next to her. Patting his furry back, she stroked her cheek against his large head as she sighed to herself.

"Brother Wolf... I cannot become a wolf again after I've learnt what it's like to be human. Besides I can't follow your pack forever. Just like Father always told me, I belong with people and I must learn to live with them. The gods allowed me to survive three years ago... so no matter if the road ahead of me is sour, sweet, bitter or hot, I should taste the full flavour of life as a human being."

Kneeling down to cup her brother's furry face, she whispered sadly, "Brother, I'm going to go to Jianan City. I need to see Father's home town, the place he was so proud of. I'll come back once I've fulfilled Father's expectation of me becoming a beautiful Southern girl."

Brother Wolf just silently stared into her eyes with his large soulful ones, his tongue hanging out.

"Hey, you can't laze around after I'm gone! You must work hard to become the alpha male of all the packs within the Western Desert, got it?" With that, Luna nuzzled her nose against her brother's and slowly walked out of the home she'd been living in for the past three years; the safe haven against the emotional detritus and dangerous interactions of the outside world.

Father, I'm going to go to Jianan just as you've wished. Goodbye, beautiful desert. Goodbye, cosy cave. Goodbye... big brother.

>>><<< 

The packed cart rocked its way past the large city gates and the heavily armed guards bearing large spears and solemn expressions.

Initially lying face first on the soft carpets, Luna raised her face from beside the merchant and kneeling, she carefully balanced herself on the cart. Looking around with an open mouth, her wide eyes couldn't absorb enough of the unfamiliar yet extremely pleasant surroundings.

Everywhere she looked she saw towering buildings and pagodas with many levels that were capped with tiled eaves at the four corners which pointed out and above elegantly. Multi coloured flags flapped joyously to the sweet breeze as busy people of all ages bustled constantly below, the colours and style of their clothing were like a coruscating kaleidoscope to her enlarged eyes. All their voices intermingling to provide a cacophony of happiness to Luna's ears. Her sensitive nose was overwhelmed by the many scents drifting from everywhere around her.

"So, this is Jianan City?!" She hopped up to stand with her hands on her hips, the gauzy material of her Lolan garment blowing behind her. "Although hearing Father describe it many times before, seeing this first hand is a completely novel experience!"

Hopping down whilst flicking a coin to the merchant to thank him for the ride, her nose twitched when a familiar flavour drifted towards her to appease her nasal cavities and hungry stomach.

"Roast lamb on sticks! Roast lamb on sticks!" The store keeper waved the savory aroma outwards to attract customers.

He's definitely attracted the desert girl in me!

With a savage grin, she raced over to stick her face over the turning sticks threaded with succulent lamb cutlets. Breathing in deeply, she slapped a large coin in the hand of the euphorically grinning boss as she received several large sticks in return for her unknown generosity.

Moving along and munching happily, the empty sticks also provided another purpose as pointers to whatever her heart desired.

"This. This. That. And this." She aimed happily with one hand as her other pulled out more coins from Wei's currency bag to another eager shop keeper.

As the old lady received her payment, she hesitated, "This is too..."

"Not enough?" Luna asked concerned.

"No! This is enough! This is more than enough!" The keeper cackled greedily as she dished the sweets out to Luna.

Sucking on flavours she never tasted before, she stopped to gasp excitedly at a roadside show. The flame throwers and magicians moved in intricate choreographies she's never seen before. As it came to an end, a young boy moved past the crowd."Please provide what you can spare!"

The other people moved away quickly, some didn't even look at the boy, but Luna happily delved into her pocket. As she grinned kindly at the youngster, she showered several coins into his awaiting platter to the shock of the people around her who had not yet dispersed.

"She's so gracious..."

"...she must be a noble lady from a distant land..."

After grabbing some local clothes, she booked herself in a hostel. Swinging her dangling legs from the window sill in her designated room, she looked down at the streets below which seemed to writhe with the people busy going about their everyday lives.

I think I understand Father's attachment to Jianan City now. For someone who had been born into such an extravagant and sprightly world, it really is hard to grow accustomed to the bland tents that litter the Jie tribe's territories.

>>><<< 

Smoothing her hands over her new hairstyle which now conformed to the Southern fashion and fiddling with the local wrap dress she picked earlier on, she marched straight up to the biggest restaurant she could see. Blinking rapidly, she reread the plaque above its entrance.

"Prime Hotel! So this is the Prime Hotel!" She looked at the welcoming butlers ushering customers in at the entrance. Racing in without hesitation, she was met by a rosy waiter.

"Introduce me to some of your more famous dishes," she asked as he led her to her seat. After settling her order and confirming that she wanted wine to accompany, the smug waiter went off to place her order.

>>><<< 

"Young master, ever since we came back from the Western Desert, you've come almost daily to the Prime Hotel. Are you... hoping to meet someone here?" Uncle Chen teased with a small smile as he looked at his young master sneakily.

"Those that are expected, will come. That which need to be tasted, will be eaten," Wei smirked in response.

As Wei and his entourage prepared to enter the Prime Hotel, an out of breath messenger halted them.

"Captain Wei! The Emperor has his orders. His Majesty wants to see Captain Wei," the sweating man puffed.

"What does the Emperor want to discuss?" Wei glanced coldly at the bowing messenger.

"The Emperor praised you in front of the magistrates and ministers. There seems to be something important his majesty wants to bestow upon you in front of them. Please follow me to the palace," the messenger half begged, sneaking a terrified look at the expressionless Wei.

Sighing heavily, Wei departed with one last look towards Prime Hotel's entrance.

>>><<< 

Looking curiously at the four dishes, Luna glanced around inquisitively at the other customers. Spying two sticks in their hands which they used to pick up their food, she searched for her pair. Once she'd attained them, she prepared to dig in. However, the chopsticks refused to pick up the round abalone pieces much to her frustration. Growling with annoyance, she lifted her hand up high and poked at one with all her might.

With a splat, the abalone flew out of her plate to bounce against the face of the lady eating next to her. Gasping, the lady glared at Luna with shock and indignity as her husband spluttered in outrage at Luna.

Ignoring them she frowned at the two pieces of wood between her fingers, Luna thought of the days within the Jie tribe and thought of an idea.

Grinning happily, she tore gleefully at the abalone pieces speared like kebabs through her chopsticks. Throwing her head back with each tear and chew, her animal instincts threw caution to the winds regarding any human mannerisms Father had taught her.

Finishing off the abalone, the seared fish and steamed oysters she decided to give up on the crabs as she had no idea how to begin cracking into their hard skin. After playing around with its pincers and draining her wine keg, she hopped up and marched to the cashier.

"I'd like to pay, please," she grinned as she dumped all of her coins next to the cashier's abacus, selected a large coin and placed it in the cashier's hand. "Enough?"

"Uh...no, this is not enough, madam," the cashier said, eyeing her oddly.

"Not enough?" Luna asked slowly, not sure if she heard right.

Pointing to her pile of coins, the cashier explained slowly, "This is barely just enough. You ordered our famous dishes made with the most expensive ingredients."

"What?!"

>>><<< 

Grumbling to herself, Luna stumbled angrily into her hostel room. Chucking the empty coin bag onto the dressing room table, she whined in frustration. "What sort of fish did I eat? Stupid abalone, used up all my cash. I don't even understand what's so expensive about them, we don't even have these out in the desert!"

Suddenly a thought struck her.

Oh no! I have no money to pay rent! Where will I live then?

Bounding towards the window, she flung open the panels to stomp her left leg against the window sill. Spreading her arms out, she comforted herself. "Jianan City is just below my feet. It's impossible for me to not find some form of labor to sustain my daily expenses. Right... I just need to find work to do. Easy."

With that, she howled freely into the pitch black sky where the round pearlescent moon hung delicately to provide the only beacon of hope to the wandering animals and nomads out in the desert beyond the city gates. Immediately, the concerned and confused voices of the citizens below drifted up to remind Luna of her current surroundings. Poking her tongue out, she ducked down to scold herself softy.

This is the city, not the desert plain.... Brother Wolf, you have instilled a habit in me that I really do need to change.

>>><<< 

The next morning, nursing her growling stomach, Luna wandered the streets full of vendors selling all sorts of delicious foods.

"Steamed buns for two bronze coins!" A vendor hollered. Luna gulped and pranced over to sniff at the steaming bamboo cages filled with soft fluffy buns.

"Sir, I'd like to have a bun please!" She licked her lips eagerly in anticipation.

About to reach in to grab one for her, the vendor asked suspiciously, "Where's....do you have money?"

"Uh.... No. But!" she spied a stack of dirty dishes behind him and shot over, "I can wash dishes as payment!"

Smacking her outstretched hands, he shooed her away, snarling about her ignorance and inability to pay.

Pouting, Luna searched around and spied a spice shop which jolted her memory. Running in, she asked the lady there if there they needed to hire people and the lady was, at first, extremely willing to hire her for one third the price of normal labourers but when she asked Luna if there was anyone in the city who could be her guarantee, her face changed immediately upon Luna's negative answer.

"No, go away! I will not hire you!" The dangling bells on the pins within the woman's hair rang with her anger.

"Oh! I know a spice merchant called Wei. He can—-" Luna remembered as she quickly latched onto the lady's long sleeve.

"Go away! I don't know any spice merchant called Wei. There is no spice merchant called Wei. Go away before I call for the guards!" The lady pushed her away then got back to serving customers.

Dejected and furious at Wei for lying to her, she trodded back to her hotel. As she sat down infront of the entrance hugging her knees to her chest, one of the hostel keepers came out carrying a cloth bag. Handing it to her, he asked, "Here's your stuff. No money to live here any-more? Come back once you have money. If you're still broke, go live in the Forest!"

>>><<< 

The roots rose up like gnarled walkways designed to trip any unsuspecting foot. The trunks attached to said roots stood in dense clusters as their bark was peppered with holes that housed many critters absent in their forage for food during the night. Stumbling her way through the foliage, she spied lights in the near distance.

Upon arrival, the lights were bonfires lit by beggars who had made camp in a clearing. Their boisterous laughter drew her in as she hefted her cloth bag filled with her only belongings up her shoulders higher. Looking around curiously, she spotted an empty spot, in front of a fire and had a tree to provide back rest, and was about to sit down when a voice screeched at her.

"Stupid girl, do you know the rules? This is my spot! Shoo!" A scruffy beggar with bald patches and warts swatted her away. Biting her lip, Luna got up to leave to the sounds of raucous laughter from the other observing beggars.

"Girl, everywhere is taken. But... if you sing or even dance for me, make me happy, I'll give up half my spot to you. I'll share some of my warmth with you." A greasy looking beggar leered at her as he played with the drawstring of his pants. The other men cackled with glee.

Luna's hand inched towards her weighted silk sash, a specialized whip fashioned by Father, and contemplated giving the man a severe beating as she wrapped it around her hand tightly when a young voice rang out over the laughter.

"I was in luck today. I managed to beg for a pot of Prime Hotel's chrysanthemum wine." A dirty beggar held up a small clay bottle and the other men shot up to snatch it away from him. Sharing it amongst themselves, they quickly forget about her.

Looking at him closely, Luna concluded that this helpful beggar couldn't be any older than his mid teenage years. Nodding at him gratefully, a husky voice made her look behind him.

"Young child, come here," an old man with dirty white hair beckoned her forward to him. Glancing at the teenage beggar, he nodded at her in assurance.

"Child, there is no hole along the world's path where one cannot cross over. There is no anger which does not pass. Don't mind those men, they are all bark and no bite. Please, enjoy some bread and wine with this old man," he smiled at her warmly as he toasted some bread over his fire.

She hesitated and he caught her look. He asked, "What's wrong? You dislike the food of beggars? Think the alcohol content may be too much for you to handle? Don't worry, this wine is good for all members of the family."

"No! Why would I! The young brother over there helped me out of that situation and I am already very grateful. I wouldn't reject your goodwill," Luna hurriedly explain, beaming at the old man graciously.

I wonder if Father would be like this when he's old and his hair has turned white with age and wisdom....

Later that night, Luna tossed and turned next to the fire but sleep just wouldn't come to her. Rising to pace around the smoking fire ring silently, she was interrupted by the teenage beggar who had been awoken by her.

"Hello Puppy," she smiled at him.

"Luna, are you worried about something?"

"I'm just thinking about how I'm going to make a living in Jianan City..."

Puppy scratched his head and looked at her shyly beneath his lashes. "If you don't tire easily, you can go around households asking if they have any clothing they need washed in return for coins. I've seen many women go around looking for work like this when I was begging in the streets."

>>><<< 

"Do you need to wash clothes?"

Luna went back into the city, first thing when dawn came, and in her eagerness she had left the cloth bag which held her blue Lolan garment back in the Forest.

Oh well, Puppy and his grandfather look to be respectable and honourable people. The dress should be safe there.

"No. We have familiar people to do that." Similar replies were heard at each households every time.

Sighing in disappointment, Luna dragged her feet down another street. Although her determination was still going pretty strong, the lack of meat in her diet really lowered her energy levels.

I wonder what Brother Wolf has captured for the pack yesterday....

Coming up to an elaborate building, she arched her head up to read the bronze plaque above the front arch which framed the courtyard before the intricately carved entrance.

The Descending Jade Entertainment House....

Looking at the pot plants and large brass belts hanging next to the arch, Luna concluded that this place must be pretty well off.

Suddenly, she caught a glimpsed of a servant sweeping the courtyard with a bamboo broom. With a laugh, she ran up next to him, "Are you hiring here?"

"No, no. Go away."

"No, really, I can do all sorts of labour. Here, let me show you," Luna pleaded as she tried to pull the broom from his grasp. "Just give me some food as payment is all I want."

Front and back, they pulled. In their scuffle, Luna tumbled backwards and her back slammed into something or specifically someone. More importantly, the head of the broom seemed to have slapped right into their face as well. With a stiff arm, the person behind brushed the broom away from their face.

Luna gazed at the woman's face and unconsciously began to assess her. A seductive pair of eyes, painted bronze, looked Luna up and down before the lady's dark rouged lips rose up in a cunning smile.

"Sorry! I'll help you clean that up!" Luna apologized before bustling over to the anxious servant who eyed the lady with worry.

"You can go back to work," the lady ordered him and he jogged away, not looking back at Luna.

"Are you... not from around here?" the lady drawled, walking in circles around Luna. The woman's violet under-dress and mint green overcoat patterned with golden designs swished as she paced.

"Yes," Luna replied, unsure where this was going at.

"You don't have an accent at all! You've picked up the local Southern language quite quickly!" The woman praised, coming to a stop infront of Luna's puzzled face.

"I learn things extremely quickly," Luna hurriedly countered, eager for an opportunity to gain work.

Food... I need food...

"You have no family here? Oh why am I asking? If you do, you wouldn't be in this situation right now." The lady laughed humourlessly to herself, "How about this, young lady, you help me clean the middle courtyard and I'll give you a meal as payment. How's that sound?"

"Thank you, madam!" Luna agreed, relieved at the prospect of a meal.

"Oh! Just call me Madam Scarlett from now on. If you perform well... we'll be seeing each other extremely often," Madam Scarlett gave a small smile and led Luna into the house.

>>><<< 

Letting the broom fall from her tired hands, Luna sprawled onto the table in the pergola, situated in the middle of the now extremely clean courtyard.

A dull plunking sound met her ears and as she raised her head, the smell of steaming fresh pork buns rewarded her hollow stomach. Sitting up to kneel beside the plate of food, Luna turned around with her mouth opened wide to thank Madam Scarlett when the woman picked up a bun and shoved it in Luna's mouth.

Biting down, she was delighted at the burst of juices which flowed over her taste buds to slide down her throat. Munching with passion, Luna swallowed as quickly as her throat muscles allowed her to. She even forgot about the temperature of the buns, instead opting to open her mouth wider to let the steam escape.

Madam Scarlett picked up another bun. "Here, have another one". Then shoved it into Luna's mouth again.

With half a bun in each hand, Luna couldn't be any more happier. Turning around, she saw another bun in Madam Scarlett's hand and threw her hands up infront of her face.

"Wait, can I...pack the ones I don't finish to eat for my next meal?" Luna grinned, pieces of vegetables and meat stuck between her teeth.

"Sure...I'll even pack several more for you. Eat up, beautiful," Madam Scarlett purred as she stuffed another bun in Luna's awaiting mouth.

Why... why is my eyesight starting to go slightly blurry? My hearing is getting muffled too... What's happening to me?

Shaking her head in an attempt to clear her mind, Luna grinned at Madam Scarlett who watched her patiently. Slowly, Luna's eyes crossed and with a clonk, she fell backwards, the half eaten buns falling out of both her slackened hands.

Madam Scarlett looked down at the unconscious Luna and muttered to herself, "What a strange beauty. It took her so many buns before the effects of the Instant Drowsy medicine was able to affect her. She probably knows martial arts. I need to be careful with this one..."

Standing up and pulling her shawl tighter around her shoulders, she motioned for two male servants to come over.

"Take her to the room. Be careful with this one. If she escapes... I'll skin you both alive."

>>><<< 

A dull light slowly seeped back in her line of sight. The blurriness and fogginess cleared with a couple more blinks of her eye. Luna sat up gingerly and held up a hand to brace her throbbing head.

"Here, drink some water," a soft voice sounded next to her. Looking at the teacup half filled with liquid, Luna glared at the girl holding it.

"I'm not drinking that," Luna snapped, looking at the girl angrily.

"This isn't drugged. There isn't any necessity for it to be. This place is heavily guarded, you... it's impossible to escape." The girl began to tear up as her hand that held the cup shook.

"I'm not thirsty." Luna moved up to push against the door. Unsurprisingly, it wouldn't budge. With a sigh, Luna turned around to look at the girl curled up against the edge of the bed.

"My name's Luna. I was drugged and taken here by a woman named Madam Scarlett. What's your name and what is this place?" Luna asked as she moved to sit down beside the girl carefully.

"My name is Belle. I was... I was sold here by my stepmother. This place is called The Descending Jade Entertainment House, a fairly famous entertainment hall in Jianan City. You're obviously taken here because of your beauty."

"So... they want us to sell our bodies? As in prostitute ourselves?" Luna asked curiously, as she'd never heard of any entertainment halls back in the desert with the Jie tribe.

"No. The girls here sell skills. They either sing or dance. But other people do not see the difference or perhaps they do not care. Girls that reveal their faces in public and sell skills related to any part of their body are looked down upon any-ways. Unless they're desperate and out of options... who would... who would want to enter this profession? But if you become famous, then that's different. You can even enter the palace often to entertain the royal family and ministers," Belle replied tearfully as she hugged her knees closer to her chest.

"Well, this place actually sounds quite fun!" Luna smiled gleefully at Belle, who looked at her in shock.

Before Belle could say anything, the door slammed open and Belle immediately scrambled up onto the bed and scooted as far away from the edge as possible, almost trying to melt into the walls. Luna just sat there calmly, without twitching to watch Madam Scarlett saunter in with two men.

"How many times have you tried to put up a fight? There's really no teaching you through lashings either. I can't stand you anymore. It's not up to you today, Belle." With a toss of her raised hand, the men moved to haul Belle off the mattress. Tugging at her flailing arms, the men growled at her to move.

"I'm not going. Let go of me! I'm not going!" She screamed, fat tears rolling in waves down her pretty face.

"Dress up well and go learn with the other girls. It's time for you to start seeing customers and earning your worth." Madame Scarlett's lingered on Belle's struggling form until she was out of sight then turned her attention to the composed Luna. 

~~~~~~

So episode 1 is now finished. What did you think of this episode?

I personally think it's such a massive shame that Wei missed Luna at the Prime Hotel. Stupid Emperor.

I hoped you enjoyed this episode - the link will be posted in the multimedia section. It's in english subs. If you've got no time to watch it or just interested in reading, then look out for Chapter 2.

If you've enjoyed this, please leave a comment below or if you're kind and amazing :) please vote, that way this story can be shared with more avid readers like yourself.

Thanks! :) Terri

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 69.2K 29
After a disastrous first season in London, Rose Wilde finds herself torn between two men who love her -- but who both hide secrets that could ruin he...