Brown Skinned Bet

By MarieB_5

Pacific Crest International High School,Lekki,Lagos State. To Nigerian parents,its just the school they wish... More

Prologue
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXIX
Chapter XXX
Chapter XXXI
Chapter XXXII
Chapter XXXIII
Chapter XXXIV
Chapter XXXV
Chapter XXXVI
Chapter XXXVII
Chapter XXXVIII
Chapter XXXIX
Chapter XL
Chapter XLI
Chapter XLII
Chapter XLIII
Chapter XLIV
Chapter XLVI
Chapter XLVII
Chapter XLVIII
Last Part
The Yearbook
New Book Lurk

Chapter XLV

121 22 0
By MarieB_5

Kainene

           In the long run,it became a habit. Taking hold of my phone and praying deep down that I would see Jade active online again. Since the day of her seizure, she'd barely been able to get out of her hospital bed. The few times we'd been allowed to visit her, she looked paler each time much more than the last.

           My heart swole with empathy each time I held her hands which shook with tremors or felt the temperature of her fever. Her lips paled,whitened and cracked. Her hair kept growing extremely light and leaving locks over her pillow each time she stirred. Her entire body had begun to thin,so much that I could see her bones through the oversized hospital wear she'd been made to dress in. It was a terrifying sight.

          Although she tried to hold out,to smile each time we visited,I could understand her pain. How she squirmed under the concern of Yomi's gaze,how forced her smile was at Daryl and Temi's constant gifts,how her shoulders would slump each time she noticed her three girlfriends looking over her like they wished to be in her place. She appreciated our visits for a fact,but she'd begun to feel like a burden.

          Perhaps that was why she did what she did. It hadn't been made official but my girlfriends and I were gathering up on the fact that Jade might have requested for a break up. It had happened on our last visit. As usual,Yomi always got there before the rest of us.

         Onome and I had just been about to turn the door knob when we heard Yomi's voice resonate through the door.

         "Why? If you can give me a good reason why we should do it Jade,then I'll agree" Was the last thing we'd caught just before Onome hastily turned the door knob to bring the conversation to a close. Yomi seemed to have convinced her otherwise because they seemed to be okay in the later hours and days. But I knew Jade and the issue was something she had started solidifying her mind over. If not now,it would be later.

          The weeks passed by rather hastily and before we knew what was happening,our WAEC break was coming to an end and we were back in school for our last and final exams,NECO (Nigerian Examination Certificate Organisation) exams.

         Just a step into school and it was clear that my classmates had come ready to rebel. The zebrawear of some girls had been trimmed so lowly that I wondered if was the same length with their underwear.

         Almost more than half of the girls had their hair braided with novel colours of artificial hair extensions,others who hadn't done this had fixed the extensions directly to their cornrows. Here I was,thinking that my aurburn artificial braids which were merely bum-length was too much.

          For the boys,they'd seemed to have forgotten their zebra dress shirts someplace as they were all clad in different colours of both plain and designed dress shirts which were very far from any of our school uniform. Most had been short-sleeved,I guessed they'd grown sick of the long sleeves they'd anticipated wearing all through junior school and three years of senior school was all it took.

          Even if she had resumed a few days later,on the day we were to take our first paper of the exams,we'd been more than thrilled to spot Jade walking through the door of our class.

         Onome,Oghale and I had squealed like crazy,our hands coming over our lips and earning a chuckle from her. Yomi had been swifter,rushing to take her into his arms in a bear hug. "Dang it" He'd whispered. It had the whole class swarming with awwns and uuhs. He'd hugged her so tightly that even I could see that the girl had become oxygen deprived,despite running her own hands over his back to soothe him.

          I could understand,Jade had only started getting better when we'd been called back for the NECO exams and that had us all in quite a state,Yomi the most. I'd never seen him so shattered,so bleak,so uninterested in whatever the world had to offer.

         His worries were same as ours,we were scared we were going to lose her but it affected him much more than any of us. To think such a playboy could be brought to the level of tears,for the sake of his heart.

         Yomi had treated her like an egg which would shatter with a mere touch,keeping everyone away from here,at some calculated distance. Even we,her friends.

         "Yomi,I'm not going to eat her na. I just want to give her the eraser she borrowed me inside the hall" Onome sneered as we walked back from the examination hall later that afternoon,Chemistry being the first paper we'd concluded.

         "Ehn,don't worry. I'll hold it for her" he'd retorted,reaching out to take the eraser from Onome. It had a fit of laughter surging through us,Onome included. Jade had only chuckled,a blush gracing her cheek bones as she watched her overly protective boyfriend.

         But I'd read something else from her gaze. It was that of longing,yearning,missing. I wondered why she would have to look at him that way. She almost looked apologetic and it bothered me. But I preferred to not give it further thought.

          It had only been a week into our NECO exams when our JAMB results started to surface. Compared to the complaints which had emanated from my classmates after the exam sometime in second term,the results were actually quite good.

         The least score that had come to my knowledge was a ten and two hundred. It was ten marks past the midpoint so I still considered it a pass.

          I'd been extremely nervous when it was finally my turn to check mine. It wasn't exactly what I'd hoped I'd get,but I'd bagged a sixteen and three hundred. Of course,I hadn't come out on top.

         Temi did the fine job of topping the class with a score of a thirty and three hundred. I'd come in second place and Yomi had,quite shockingly,come in third with a score of a ten and three hundred.

         Oghale and Onome had hit a few points over a ninety and two hundred,Jade had hit the exact square of seventeen. Daryl came in fourth place with an accuracy of three hundred. We'd done quite well and I knew we were elated at the results. Perhaps we weren't content,but we were happy nevertheless.

          With our results now published,talks of college became the next big thing admist us. The more the topic was brought up,the more I realised I wasn't in any rush to leave secondary school. Don't get me wrong,I did want to graduate. It had been my life dream since the very first day I set foot in Pacific Crest. But,I'd started to realise.

          To realise that I would be leaving much more than just the school and its buildings. I'd be leaving my family,the new friendships I'd been able to bud and grow in my final year,the old ones which had stood the test of time,people who my life had revolved around for some six good years,I'd be leaving them all.

         "I think Abuad(Afe Babalola University) is nice sha. My mum has been stuck on the school since I picked JAMB form" Onome stated as we slumped into the chairs on the sides of the badminton court.

          My girlfriends and I had taken a bit more interested in the sport and the boys had delighted in the fact. They took every chance they got to get us to practice and we'd really gotten better. After about seven rounds of the game,our hard breathing had us in search of where to settle our butts.

         "Afe girls!!" Oghale cheered,slamming her palms over Onome's in her cheer. "Kainene,where are you even going sef?" Jade questioned from beside me as the boys crashed into the floor opposite us.

         "My dear,if I tell you I know ehn,I'm lying" I shook my head,taking a large gulp of water from the water can I'd rummaged out of Daryl's bag. "I thought you were going to Nile" Daryl spoke up,gesturing that I pass the water can to him.

        "Yes,my mum wants me to go to Nile. But my Uncle just brought this whole idea of me studying in U.S. I don't really know..."I shrugged. Daryl squinted his eyes at me,chugging down a good amount of the water while at it.

         "So where do you want to go?" He questioned. Jade shuffled in her seat,probably feeling the unspoken tension that had began to rise between us. "I don't know. Where are you going?" I redirected his question.

         "I told you before. My father is making me go abroad" He replied. For some reason,the conversation seemed to be putting him on edge.

         "You guys we're not going to university tomorrow oh" Oghale tried to interject but it went unnoticed as Daryl pushed on,"You can't say you at least don't have a choice of your own. Where do you want to go,Kainene?" He questioned rather too sternly. I found my fingers clasping over my thighs as I tried to comprehend his sudden change of countenance.

         "Does it matter,Daryl?" I questioned,which had his eyebrows bobbing up. "So it doesn't matter" he reiterated. "That's not what I said. I'm just saying...urgh...it just feels like you're about to make it into a big deal" I shrugged,my voice pitch rising by a few octaves.

        "Because it is a big deal,Kainene!" He exclaimed,causing me to still. Chills creeped over my skin as I watched his outburst. "Guy,try calm down. E no too serious" Temi tried to calm him.

        "How can you be so..." he trailed off,shaking his head and taking to his feet. I had it not in me to watch his retreating back as he exited the court so I kept staring at the floor. My body suddenly felt cold under the scorching rays of the sun and I stiffened. I had no idea what had just gone or what I'd said so wrong that deserved the sudden attitude and outburst.

         "Its okay" I heard Oghale whisper as she ran her palm over my back to soothe me. Her sympathy evoked responses I'd been trying to fight. I blinked frantically to prevent the tears which had begun to sting my eyes from falling. His voice replayed over and over again in my head,only triggering my lacrimals more and more. I hated when he did that,I hated getting yelled at. Not by anyone and especially not by him.  Without giving it more thought,I took to my feet and my leave.

           ***

         "I'm actually very good at badminton now,but you won't believe me" Onome defended from where she sat beside me. Hours had passed since Daryl and I's little fall out and we now sat in refectory,waiting for dinner to be served.

        "Tah. With these your two kpomo legs. I don't believe it" Godson laughed. I couldn't understand the dynamics but I noticed that they'd gotten quite close. There was this way Onome bubbled whenever he was around. Whatever it was,I was happy it was making her happy.

         "Oh God! Kainene,tell him naw!!" Onome cried,tapping me brashly on the shoulder to come to her aid. "She's actually very good" I smiled,attempting to bring myself out of the novel I'd been reading even when I knew I could hardly get a word of it through my head.

          My eyes scanned the words and before I knew what was going on,ideas at the end of the page without having a single clue about what had been written on it.

        "You see,I told you" she beamed,turning back to Godson while I returned to the book in my hands,otherwise called my thoughts.

         It seemed like the longest dinner of my life,so long that I'd had to leave my food halfway through. Daryl and I did almost everything together and it irked me that I missed his presence despite the stunt he'd pulled earlier on.

        "You guys haven't still settled it?" Oghale questioned,causing me to avert my gaze from my feet to her. "What?" I questioned blankly. She gave a light laugh.

        "God,both of you ehn" she commented. I stayed silent for a while,staring into space before speaking up,"I just think it wasn't called for. It's like he was some time bomb waiting to explode" I hissed with a roll of my eyes.

         "It actually was sha. But try and see it this way" she started. "I think its just his insecurities that are getting to him. You know a lot of people are planning to break up before graduation because of this whole university thing" she pointed out.

          "Oh..." was all I could say. I hadn't thought about it that way. I hadn't thought that far at all. My present was too good that I'd shut the future out for the meantime. I wanted to make the best of what I had currently. I knew if I thought that far,I might make some bad decisions and I wanted to avoid that. I hadn't stopped to think that he wouldn't do the same.

         "And I now went and said it wasnt a big deal" I told her. "Exactly" she chuckled. "But even if,did that warrant the shouting?" I retorted. "Nah,that's all on him" Oghale surrendered,flailing her palms in the air as we walked into the class.

         "But just try and understand him,that's all I'm saying" she told me as we placed the books we'd come with over her table on my table and headed out again as we'd forgotten to get ourselves water.

         Our classmates which occupied the classrooms were sparse. They found it a better use of their time to do other things than read as we all knew none of us had our hearts in the exam. Some were out gaming,others were carrying out whatever crazy plans they'd stacked on their bucket lists like climbing the biggest tree in school and others,mostly the couples,bagged their alone time.

          "How do you feel Oghale?" I questioned as we walked,heading for the water dispenser down the block. "About what?" She questioned. I paused,my gaze transfixed over our feet.

          "You know,about you and Temi. I wonder if it's better at this point. Do you think you won't regret it?" I asked.

          She took a while,staring into space before giving off a dry chuckle "I really don't know Kainene. I'm honestly just scared about everything. It's not like he hasn't asked me out..." I was quick to infiltrate.

         "Temi asked you out?" I gasped,earning another chuckle from her.       

           "Yeah"

         "Ah,Oghale why are you like this? You didn't even tell anybody" I mused. "No na,it was during the break and omo...even me sef I didn't know how to feel about it. I just.."she trailed off,setting her cup beneath the dispenser and allowing water to drain into it.

          "I understand you sha" I shrugged. "Like,I don't want to regret anything but at the same time,I'm also scared about everything. It's annoying because its Temi and I know he understands me more than any other person in the world. It's so annoying that I'm so cowardly" She told me as I took the cup from her and chugged the water down my throat after realising she was too stuck in explaining her dilemma to do it first.

         "But he knows you like him" I inquired,stepping forward to fill the cup for her. "I told him,I felt I had to. But then,isn't it more frustrating to know that someone likes you and isn't dating you?" She questioned.

         "Perhaps" I shrugged,not being able to relate entirely to her situation. "Last last ehn,Oghale" I started as we begun to make our way back to our class "We have less than a month to spend in this class,two weeks tops. I think everybody should just do what makes them happy because we might never have this moment again" I adviced.

          "I know,right" She exhaled as we walked into the class. I involuntarily picked up the only note I'd brought to class,flipping it open whilst standing before the table.

          I found myself paging backwards,realising I'd caught sight of a small pink neon colour and I was sure I hadn't written anything in such colour in my note. Ah,a sticky note.I thought as I read the words which it bore.

I'm sorry,Kay.

          Of course,I didnt need a soothsayer tell me who exactly had left the note there. Despite the fact that I could never mistake Daryl's calligraphy,he was also one of the few people if not the only person who owed me an apology.

          The corner of my lip lopsided as I turned,only to meet him standing right before me. He gave a remorseful yet bashful smile,his hands rested over his backside as I stared at him.

         "So it's now that you want to apologise" I struggled to sneer although it came off as a snicker. "Mxw" I hissed when I got nothing but a scratch of his right eyebrow,attempting to turn away from him but he was quick to hold me back.

         "It's not like that naw,I'm sorry" he gave the verbal apology. "Mhm" I scowled,crossing my hands over my chest.

         "What are you sorry for?" I questioned. "Firstly,for yelling at you..." he started,and I quirked a brow up to indicate that wasn't all he should be sorry for "....in front of everybody" he finished.

         "You know its hurtful and you still did it,even after promising" I charged,my voice  dipping at the end. "I know and I'm really really really sorry. I didn't mean to do it,I just..." he trailed off again,taking my hand and walking us to the corridor.

         "I've been doing a lot of thinking and it's been messing with me" he told me. "Thinking about what?" It was my turn to grow agitated.

          "I don't know...College,going abroad,us..." he trailed off. Silence settled between us as I watched him. He looked disturbed and I hated it,because him being this way was only going to disturb me as well.

        "I hate that we have to think about all of this. For once,I just...don't want to think" I told him,leaning into the adjacent rail.

         "It's a really big deal for me,Kay. This thing we have,us...we're a really huge deal to me" He told me plainly,hurt interlaced with his tone. "And I can't imagine having to leave us behind..."

         My heart strings were being tugged at. I'd kept my thought from reeling to the possibilities all through the while but I never knew he'd submerged himself into them. This was why I'd avoided talking about college with him.

         Honestly,I knew I wanted to go to Nile University. My uncle's offer was good too but I didn't quite find it ideal to go abroad to study dental surgery. I couldn't tell him that,it would seem like I didn't care much for our relationship as much as he did. And my mum was stuck on her decision. My uncle was suggesting Stanford in New York,which wasn't bad as well.

        Stepping forward,I wrapped my arms around him,burying my figure in his. "We'll be fine,Damola" I tried to assure while running my hands over his back. My heart broke,feeling him wrap his arms ever so tightly around me.

        "I really hope so" He whispered.

         He said nothing more and we stayed that way. The sound of his heavy heaves being the only wave which filled the atmosphere around us.

          Another chapter is up! It's been hard updating here as I've been busy with some other work. I hope you've enjoyed the story thus far. Stick with us to the finishing line of our favourite Pacific Crest final year students!

          Thanks for reading🤗💕.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5K 101 12
Alexis was always gifted ever since her birth. For Alexis her life has never been easy. Always running from different places due to her not being acc...
54.5K 13.9K 37
"Do you remember your highschool in Nigeria?" I asked. "Nigeria? No, I studied abroad!" "No! You were in Nigeria.Do you remember me?" "You? Am I supp...
172K 5.7K 32
The known demon slayer decided to take up a little part-time job as a waiter in a restaurant! Little would he know that his boss would be a high demo...
42.8K 12.7K 41
When Dieko's father becomes a drunkard overnight, her mother becomes a punching bag but she endures it hoping it will all end soon but when he then b...