NATSU NO SAIGO NO HI

By cvhagen

queer shorts #1 - Natsu no Saigo no hi (The Last Expense of Summer) -- Luigi's summer vacation was lame until... More

Natsu no Saigo no hi
Ichi
Ni
San
Shi
Roku
Shichi
Hachi
Kyuu
Juu
Juu Ichi
Juu Ni
Juu San

Go

10 4 7
By cvhagen

⁂⁂⁂

Holy, serene, peaceful-- that's the kind of ambience you'll get when you got to go to church. The first mass just ended. The sound of the huge bell echoed in the high walls in the inside of the church, making birds fly in and out of the open high windows. A lot of churchgoers are lining up for the exit that's why it's a little cramp now, making me feel claustrophobic. Thankfully, a hand grabbed me away from the crowd, it was Pluto's.

Naghintay kami ng ilang minuto bago lumuwag ang pintuan, that's when we got a chance to come out. A lot of sampaguita vendors approached us as we step on the cold cement floor infront of the church.

"Sir, bili na po kayo," a girl, on the age of 12 I think, approached me holding a bunch of sampaguita flowers turned into garlands. On the other side of her hand is a boy younger than her, maybe his brother.

I turned to Pluto, not knowing what to do. But a lot of vendors are also drawn into him. He just smiled at them and got his wallet. Then maybe, I should do the same.

"M-magkano ang isa?" tanong ko sa batang babae.

"Bente pesos lang po, sir. Matagal po mawala 'yang bango niyan, sulit na sulit po ang bente niyo." This kid had skills on business, I'm surprised.

"Saan ko 'to pwedeng ilagay?"

"Sa altar niyo po, sir. Pwede rin pong isabit niyo kay Mama Mary doon." She pointed the statue of Virgin Mary near the small fountain.

"Sa tingin mo, ilan ang dapat kong isabit sa kaniya?"

"Dalawa po, sir." She said, picking the garland she'll give to me. "Kaso sir, baka po magtampo ang ibang mga santo kung si Mama Mary lang ang bibigyan mo."

I sneered, this kid knows what she's doing.

"Sige, bibili ako ng lima." I handed her a 100-peso bill. Her eyes twinkled as she saw the purple paper bill.

"Sir, hindi mo po bibigyan ang mama mo?" Humirit pa nga.

"My mom is allergic to sampaguitas, eh."

Her eyes widen, hands on her mouth, like she's acting surprise. "Swerte mo naman po, sir." She pulled another kind of garland from her brother and turned to me. "Saktong-sakto po, may kalatsutsi kami. Habang buhay pong magiging mabango ang bahay niyo dahil dito."

I squinted my eyes at her. "Really?"

"Joke lang po, sir. Nalalanta po iyan." She giggled. She handed me another couple of what she called kalatsutsi. She looks happy that she sold a lot in just one person. She even waved her hand at me before leaving.

Napatingin naman ako sa kamay kong puro garlands ang hawak. I heard a laugh from behind.

"Looks like I'm not the only one," Pluto said. He's also holding a bunch of flower garlands like mine. But his looks a lot more than mine.

"The kid told me to put these on the saints and to Mary."

"Yes, you should. And you should also toss a coin into the fountain and wish."

"Hindi ba sa well 'yon?"

Pluto chuckled, "It doesn't matter, as long as there's water, you can toss a coin and wish." He wrapped his hand around my shoulders and dragged me.

The skies are still clear blue for summer. Sun scorching above, heat licking our skin as sweat runs from my back. I wished I brought an umbrella with me or even just a hat.

The well wasn't alone. It was surrounded with people that holds different stories. Like the old couple who's sitting next to each other while laughing, eyes almost close, smiles ear to ear, tiny giggles that seems they were still young. Another couple, on their twenties, was also standing not far from the fountain. The woman was wearing a bright yellow dress with a puffed sleeves, eyes closed, as well as hand holding the coin she was about to toss. The man right behind her is wearing a gray polo shirt, smiling while looking at his girlfriend, I suppose.

It seems that the fountain is for couples only, to wish for their strong relationship, faithfulness or some sort of happy endings. I don't know what's cringe, from my envious mind wanting to have what they have, or by looking at them that lets me feel out of place.

"What's the matter? Bakit hindi ka pa naghuhulog?" tanong ni Pluto. He's already holding a five-peso coin on his right hand.

When he saw the couples, he just shrugged and held me by the shoulders to follow him near to the fountain. "Are you sure about this?" I asked him. "It looks childish."

He looked at me, "Does it matter? I mean, we're still young, old enough to be called a child." He giggled. "Besides, we're not the only one doing it. So, let's do it. Do you have a coin?"

I showed him a ten-peso coin. Ito yung sukli ko kanina sa pagbili ng kalatsutsi dun sa batang business-minded. I observed Pluto, he just closed his eyes and then whispered something to the coin before bouncing it into the water. I am not dumb to not know how wishing well works. I was just hesitating to do it.

When Pluto opened his eyes, he was confused why I'm still holding my coin. So he urged me to do it too. I have no choice to close my vision, thinking of something I could wish for, and tossed the coin into the water without opening my eyes.

Bravery, acceptance and growth.

I heard a small blob in the water, sign that the coin is already sinking on the fountain's basin.

It was really childish. I can't deny that. But there's a part inside of me hoping that somehow, that fountain has magical powers to grant each of our wishes. Even just one. So that hopeless hearts can seek a tiny reek of light.

Pluto invited me to come over to their house. I can't say no when he said that his aunt is already expecting us there. I texted my parents that I may not be home for some hours, but they just told me to enjoy. Hindi ko alam kung anong iniisip nila, hindi naman kami mag-a-outing ni Pluto.

"Kumain na ba kayo? Naghanda ako ng almusal. May egg pie rin diyan, kumain lang ng kumain. Huwag mahihiya. Nagkakape ka ba Luigi?" tanong ni Aunti Gina. She's Pluto's Aunt, she said I could call her that.

"Gatas po," I answered. Milk is good for the bones. I would always prefer milk than coffees or even teas.

She excused herself to prepare our warm drinks. We're left in the table full of food. Pluto was already eating while I am puzzled what I would eat first. There are sausages, eggs, bread, pies, cookies and other different sweets. I already ate in the house before we left, but I think it's rude to refuse this knowing that Auntie Gina prepared this for us.

"Anong wi-nish mo kanina?" Pluto started a conversation. "Ako, wi-nish ko na sana hindi muna ako mamatay at saka sana hindi rin mamatay yung aso ng kapit bahay namin. You know, he's old."

"You like dogs?" tanong ko.

"Yes, but I can't have them when my mother's around. Allergic siya sa balahibo."

"Ng aso?"

"Ng hayop." My mouth formed an 'o' when I heard that. That must be sad. I can't imagine myself having an allergy and not being able to pet Klio. "So, ano ngang wi-nish mo kanina?" tanong niya ulit.

"Nothing, just few things," I answered.

"Dali na, sabihin mo na. Hindi naman ako others, eh." Others?

He might laugh at me if I'll tell him. "Sabi nila hindi raw matutupad ang wish kapag sinabi mo." I reasoned out.

"Gano'n ba iyon?" I shrugged. "Who knows?"

Auntie Gina arrived with a tray of smoking cups. She put beside my plate the yellow kitty-shaped mug, containing a warm white liquid inside, like just what I wanted. She also gave Pluto another kitten mug, but it was green. Looks like Auntie Gina is fond of cats, for I saw some cat magnets on the refrigerator door.

Nag-usap kami ni Auntie Gina. But to be honest, she's the only one talking. I am just listening on the side, nodding as she narrates how naughty Pluto is when he was still four.

"Talagang makulit 'yang batang 'yan. Madalas siyang tumakas kapag papatulugin sa tanghali, tapos magtatago sa lagayan ng walis." Napailing-iling si auntie Gina. "Minsan naman, manghuhuli siya ng palaka sa likod ng bahay tapos ilalagay niya sa sapatos ng tiyo niya." Even me I started giggling. I can really imagine Pluto doing that.

"Pero kahit gaano siya kakulit, may isang kinakatakutan pa rin talaga siya."

"Ano po?" I asked, curious.

"Tipaklong." Mahinang tumatawa si Auntie Gina habang sinasawsaw niya ang kaniyang tinapay sa mainit na kape. "Matatakutin siya sa tipaklong."

When I looked at Pluto's direction, he was pretending that he's not listening. But I can see that the corner of his cheeks is turning red.

"Dati, nagrepresentar siyang tulungan akong magtanim ng mga bulaklak sa likod ng bahay. Inutusan ko siyang lagyan ng lupa ang mga paso, pero laking gulat ko na lang nang bigla niyang iniwan ang trabaho niya. Tumakbo siya, nagsisisigaw. Nang tanungin ko kung bakit, sinabi niyang may nakita raw siyang tumalon. Akala ko palaka, tipaklong lang pala," Auntie Gina tell the whole story.

"Tipaklong pala ha." I teased him.

He glared at me. But I can still see his tomato face. Weird but I think he's kinda... cute?

"Sinong hindi matatakot sa tipaklong?" he said. "Eh, bigla-bigla na lang 'yun tumatalon!" He defended his side, but I can't help myself but to laugh. So he's afraid of an insect? Really?

"Grasshoppers are just small insects," I said, holding my laugh.

"Kahit pa!" Pluto countered. "What if tumalon siya sa balikat mo at pumasok sa loob ng tenga?"

"It won't."

"But it can!"

I can sight Auntie from the corner of my eyes smiling at us. Pero hindi ko talaga mapigilan ang sarili kong tuksuhin siya.

Napailing-iling na lang ako habang inuubos ang pagkain na nasa plato. He's still not done with his reasons why he "hate" grasshoppers. I just let him explain his side, showing him that I'm convinced even though I'm still smirking.

---

The day ended with me not watching a single episode of anime. I was even barely at the house or locking myself inside my room. Pluto and I just sat on the empty skating park, with him wearing his rollers and me holding a can of sparkling water.

"You know what? You should try skating," Pluto said as he stands up, balancing himself. "Maybe it's your hidden talent."

"My hidden talent is poetry," I said consciously. "Now, it's not hidden anymore."

Wide eyes, looking straight at me even though I'm gay. "Talaga? Nagsusulat ka ng tula?"

"Sometimes, kapag wala akong magawa."

"Sample nga."

"Ayoko."

"Sige na, isang stanza lang."

"Wala akong maalala." But the truth is I'm just shy. My poems we're always about love, but never being loved. Because I didn't experience it yet, I don't know that feeling when people said that there's butterflies I their stomach. Pagkulo lang ng tiyan dahil sa gutom ang nararanasan ko, and not the other way around.

Bumalik siya sa pagkakaupo sa tabi ko. He put his arms around my shoulders, pulling me closer to him. We both looked at the sky. It was pink, soft, smooth, and slowly changing. Until the dark hues of blue dominated the sky, then the dark came, with us still sitting in one of the cemented ramps.

"How about at the end of summer break, I'll dance for you and you'll write a poem for me." Out of the blue, Pluto just said that.

"Bakit naman?" I asked him.

He just shrugged his shoulders. "A sign of our friendship, I guess?"

"I thought we're friends already?" Don't tell me I was just the one assuming that we're friends.

He laughed. "We are," he said. "I just think it would be great to hear you spit rhymes or even just writing one. I already think it will be a beautiful one."

"Why?" I asked. "Hindi mo pa nga nababasa mg tula ko, eh."

"I just know it will be a good one. Ikaw na 'yan eh."

⁂⁂⁂

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

109K 4.6K 53
The Madrid-Esquival siblings Nora, Fort, and Ansel, find love through their phones...and go from there. *** Nora's crush on her older brother's teamm...