Restored (Colorado Crimes Boo...

By kierak26

Police officer Matt Proger relies on his intuition for a lot of things. And when his girlfriend, Jenna Gilmor... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Epilogue

Chapter 10

50 9 1
By kierak26

Matt was surprised, "Really?"

"Yeah. You wanna see?" She suggested.

The fact that she had volunteered to turn off the lights after she had just been told about Harmond surprised him more. "Sure." He tried to sound nonchalant.

"Okay." She turned off a few lights until only the hall light was on. "You stand by the counter. I'll be at the end of the hall."

"That's a good thirty feet you know."

"I know. Just go." Jenna pushed him to the counter. Then she walked over to the end of the hall. "Ready?"

"Yes." Matt answered. Jenna turned off the lights. He was quiet and noticed that there were no small cries or panicked breaths. In three minutes, Jenna was touching his arm. He turned the lights back on and saw the radiant smile on her beautiful face. "You did it."

"Of course I did. I've been practicing. And loud noises don't scare me as much either."

Matt searched her eyes, "What changed?"

"I suppose I realized that it was an irrational fear. And I remembered how nothing changes in the dark, everything is still the same. 'Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light unto my path' I pictured a flashlight showing me the way."

"I'm so proud of you. And I don't mean for that to sound cheesy." He gave her a hug.

"It doesn't sound cheesy." Jenna's voice was muffled by his shirt.

Matt rubbed his thumb in circles on her back. If he could just stay here forever. Her head tilted up to make eye contact with him. All it took was to move his head four inches down...

"Don't even think about it." Jenna pushed him away.

Matt saw the uncomfortable look in her eyes. "Sorry."

She sighed and fell onto the couch. He noticed that Ted still sat on the edge. "It's okay."

He weighed his options for the night. Leave and risk Harmond coming back, or stay? He knew the latter would send Jenna over the edge. He would stay for an hour or two longer then go. "Is it alright if I stay a bit longer to make sure that Harmond doesn't come back?"

"Sure, I guess." Jenna stood and went into the kitchen. He heard some noises and then a few minutes later was handed an ice cream sundae. "TV?" Jenna suggested.

"Sounds good to me. I don't care what we watch."

"You sure?"

"Yep."

Jenna reached for the remote and to his surprise, turned on a crime show. More like an action show, but not what he expected her to watch. Maybe it was partly because she missed being out in the action helping others and this was one headway back into it.

Matt kept one eye on Jenna the entire night. At one point, she stood and went into the laundry room to do something, but for the most part she was snuggled on the couch. At about ten o'clock, he noticed she had fallen asleep. It was an adorable sight. She was cuddling with Ted and had a blanket pulled up to her waist. He turned off the TV and moved to the couch. Matt pulled the blanket up to her chin. His lips grazed her forehead. "Goodnight Jenna."

He quietly slipped out of the house and into his car. Something was still nagging at him, but just to be sure he reclined the leather seat of his SUV and tried to get comfortable. There was no way he was leaving Jenna.

~~~~~

Jenna's eyes adjusted to the light. Where was she? She saw some colorful paintings on a gray wall. A leather reclining chair, a lamp, a mahogany coffee table, a TV. And what was she snuggling with? It smelled like cologne.

Then her eyes opened fast. She was in her living room! How could she forget? Matt! Where was he? If he had stayed overnight she was going to kill him.

Yet drowsiness overcame her. She buried her head deeper into the fluffy mass of masculinity.

The doorbell rang. Then a knock. "Jenna?"

"Come in." She called out.

Matt unlocked the front door with the code she gave him last night and came in. He grinned at the sight of her. "Sleep well?"

She pulled the blanket over her head. Why had she said come in? Why was he here this early? Why was he seeing her like this? She was not a morning person. Maybe this second/third/fourth chance for Matt wasn't a great idea. That was a lie. She liked him too. A lot. It was just mind boggling how he wanted a girl like her when she had so many problems.

"Earth to Jenna."

"Why are you here so early?" she muttered tersely.

"I slept outside in my car last night."

Jenna peeked out from under the blanket. He was holding a duffel bag. "Why?"

"To make sure Harmond didn't do anything to you."

Jenna felt her heart speed up. He slept in his car to protect her. Both her safety and her boundaries. "Oh."

"Can I use your bathroom?"

Jenna eyed the duffel bag. "Yeah. Just clean up after yourself."

"Of course." Matt disappeared down the hall.

As soon as she heard the bathroom door lock, she flung off the couch. She folded the blanket insanely fast, washed the dirty sundae dishes in the sink and did a quick survey of the living area. Good. It was clean.

Then she ran to her room to clean herself up. She took a fast, cold shower, then dressed in skinny jeans, combat boots, and a simple work t-shirt. She brushed her long blonde hair and braided it loosely into a french braid. She applied minimal makeup, then brushed her teeth. Stepping outside her room, she saw Matt leaning against the wall in the living room, looking out the window.

He smiled when he saw her. "You look wonderful."

Jenna thanked him. She noticed he had changed into clean clothes, work attire. Every time he moved his arms, his well toned muscles flexed. He had a breathtaking smile. "I need to go to work."

"So do I. I'll drop you off."

"Okay."

"Then I'll pick you up after work." He winked.

Jenna's insides did a funny flip-flop thing. "Okay..." She grabbed her purse and apron. "Ready."

"Don't you want a jacket?"

"No."
Matt eyed her. "Okay." He opened the front door for her, then placed a hand on the small of her back.

Jenna closed her eyes and stopped walking. "Matt, please don't. The neighbors already think I'm different and weird. Now, a single woman is walking out of her house in the morning with a man."

His hand dropped. "Right." In the car, he turned to her. "For the record, I don't think you're weird."

She blew out a sigh. "Thanks." She didn't talk to him in the car and barely said goodbye when he dropped her off.

Charlie looked at her oddly when she entered in a flurry. "You're early."

"I know." She clocked in, hung up her purse, and put on her apron. Pulling some cupcakes out of the freezer, she took the icing Charlie handed her and copied the picture. Time to drown herself in baking, stop her racing heart, and forget the effect Matt had on her.

Like she ever could.

~~~~~

Matt walked into the office to see a buzz of activity. Blake came up to him with a smile on his face. "We know where Raphael is hiding."

Matt slapped him on the back, "No way. That's amazing. When will we catch him?"

"Raphael may have spotted us. We will double the protection on Jenna and wait it out so he becomes less nervous and then surprise him." A female cop Matt recognized as Samantha piped up.

"I agree. Wait it out. I'm sure that Matt won't mind spending a little more time with Jenna." Blake gave a smug smile.

Matt shot him a look. "How do you even know-"

"Jenna texted Nicole and then obviously, Nicole told me." Blake interrupted.

Matt decided to get his friend back. "She still won't let you call her Nic?"

Blake crossed his arms. "You and I both know only Cole is allowed to call her that. I'm still working on it. I accidentally did one day and she came at me like a tiger."

Samantha laughed, "I bet that was fun."

Blake chuckled. "Needless to say I haven't called her Nic since."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87.3K 1.6K 10
Harleen Pickett is closed off and full of anger after her fiancée is killed and to make things worse her family now has to move to North Carolina bec...
451 25 18
Luna Stone had the relationship of her dreams as a teenager, but the book takes off six months into her marriage where things go a little wrong, leav...
1.1K 151 19
FBI Detective Asher Willis prides himself on bringing people the justice they deserve. He considers himself a good agent that is willing to step in a...
86 10 10
Lucas didn't think he had a reason to live ,so, Brea, became his reason. But will they share the same forever? **************************************...