Scales In The Ruined

By DanielleDoustAllen

Twins. The oldest, a warlock. The youngest, a shadowhunter. Both were raised in lives the other could not fol... More

-Season One-
Birthday Wishes
The Shift in the Shadows
No Worse Ways To Be Introduced
Not Your Secret To Share
When One Becomes Two
Late Night Bonding
Portal Shards & Cheesecakes
Fucking...werewolves
Double Potions
Shadow's Of The Past Shrouds Us
Mission Impossible
Small Trinkets of Time
Two Never Becomes Three

When Two Became One

7.1K 279 34
By DanielleDoustAllen

Soft padding of footsteps from a little girl could be heard in the apartment. The little girl pushed a door open, another little girl no more than six was seen sleeping peacefully. Well, she was until she felt a presence of the other by her bedside. “Clary, go back to bed.”

Clary jumped on the bed and laid on top of the girl. “But Kazzie!” Clary whined to her sister. “The sky’s awake, so I’m awake. We have to play!”

Kazzie smiled into her pillow before pushing her twin off. “Go play by yourself.” 

The youngest of the two landed on the floor with a small thump. Clary thought of what to say when the perfect idea sprouted in her mind. “Do you wanna make lightning bugs?”

Opening one eye, Kazzie knew she couldn’t say no. Clary knew that too.

—-------

Giggles of two little girls could be heard, both of them shushing the other so they didn't wake up their mother.

“Do the magic! Do the magic!” The youngest whispered.

The eldest’s hands made a circle motion. Green magic twisted between her fingers before sprouting a handful of fireflies. The fireflies -more commonly known to the twin as lighting bugs- fluttered around the two. 

“Make them dance Kazzie!” Clary shook her arm. Smiling, Kazzie complayed to Clary's request and began to manipulate them to the best of her ability. 

The two little redheads continued to play with the magic. Both in their own little world, knowing that nothing could come between the two. Kazzie used her magic to float some of the furniture around the house. An idea that she would regret when Clary jumped on to one. “Clary, be careful.” Kazzie lowered the chair a small bit, but her sister didn't care and jumped to the next one.

In a panic, Kazzie dropped the chair that she jumped from to focus more of her energy onto where her sister was going. She only just discovered her magic about seven months ago and she was still trying to master control. However, Clary didn’t seem to notice the stress her sister was under. Clary began to jump faster and faster, making Kazzie use more power and causing her scales to become more noticeable.

“Faster! Faster!” Clary yelled.

“Clary, slow down!” Kazzie begged onto fallen ears. Struggling to make sure she wouldn’t get hurt. Yet with all her focus set on her twin, she failed to see a crimp in the rug behind her. Kazzie tripped onto her back, cutting off her eye contact of the floating table holding up Clary. 

The table lost its green glow. Clary screamed as she fell. Kazzie jolted her head up and shot out her hand, hoping it could stop the fall, but she didn’t. Something sharp flew out of her hand in the chaos. Slicing Clary from under her jaw up to her ear. 

“Clary!” Kazzie scrambled up and ran to her sister as she lay motionless on the kitchen tile. Blood dripped onto the floor. “Clary, wake up. Wake up!” The six year old shook her twin, hoping to get a response, but nothing. Tears in her eyes, she pulled her sister’s body in her arms and shouted. “Mommy! Mommy help, it’s Clary!” 

Jocelyn Fairchild, now known as Jocelyn Fray, ran to her daughters and froze in the doorway. “Kassidy, what did you do?”

“I didn’t mean it!” Kassidy told her mom. “We were just playing with my magic!”

“What have I told you about using it around Clarissa!” The former shadowhunter shouted at her before holding up her Stele to the wound to rune a iratze. But, was shocked when it glowed green before bleeding out faster.

“Get your shoes on, now!” Jocelyn shouted at her eldest, while lifting the bleeding child out of the young warlock’s hands. Kassidy ran to grab her sandals and followed her Mother out the door. Not knowing where she was taking her sister, but trusting her anyway.

—-------

Fifteen minutes later Jocelyn was frantically knocking on a wooden door. “Magnus! Magnus open up, it’s me! Magnus!”

Kassidy huddled behind her mom when an asian man opened the peephole. Quickly seeing the frightened look on Kassidy and Jocelyn, accompanied by the bleeding Clary. He quickly ushered them inside. “What happened?”

Jocelyn dropped Clary on the couch as she glared at the other twin, who flinched. “Kassidy lost control.”

“Control of what?” Magnus asked as he ruffled between his potion ingredients. “I can’t help her if I don’t know what happened.”

“My magic.” Kassidy whispered, shocking Magnus who finally saw the scales that covered her arms and neck. “It gets the best of me sometimes, but it was an accident!”

“She scratched her with it and an iratze doesn't work.” Jocelyn asked him while holding a paper towel to Clary’s face.

The warlock rushed over to the unconscious child. “What do you mean it doesn't work?”

“I mean it doesn't work!” The shadowhunter shouted. “I runed her and then it glowed green before making it worse.” She then gave Magnus a desperate look. “Please, help her.”

“I would never refuse to help a child.” He collected everything and began healing it with magic. 

Kassidy watched from a distance, backing away at the sudden use of magic that flowed out of the older man's hands. Glancing at her own hands, suddenly feeling sick, she rushed out of the apartment. Not bothering to stop at the calls from the two adults.  

—-------

About two blocks away, hidden in an alleyway behind a dumpster. Kassidy was crying silently from the overwhelming guilt for what she did to Clary.

“Kassidy?” Magnus’s voice echoed through the alley.

Kassidy didn’t move.

“Kassidy, please. Your Mother is very worried.”

Kazzie peeked from behind the dumpster, when she knocked a rusty nail with her foot. Magnus turned around just fast enough to see a glimpse of red hair scurry behind the blue bin. A small smile graced his features as he walked over. “It’s alright.” He crouched down in front of her. “See, Stringbean.” The warlock showed his cat eyes. “I’m just like you.” But then frowned when he saw Kassidy flinched back. “Or is that the problem?”

“Magic’s bad.” Kassidy whispered. “Mommy told me that. I didn’t listen to her and now I hurt Clary.”

“Magic isn’t bad, sweetheart.” Magnus was furious at Jocelyn for telling her that, but didn’t show in fear of scaring the little girl. “It just takes practice to have complete control of it.” He held his hand out. “Take my hand, I want to show you something.” Unsure, Kassidy slowly put her hand in his. “Concentrate on the wings of a butterfly.” Magnus saw her face twist full on concentration. “Now imagine how you feel playing outside on a sunny day. Now, put those two ideas together and wish it true.” 

So that’s what Kassidy did. Out from her hand came a golden butterfly mirage, which flew around the both of them. The little girl giggled at it. Seemed to be entranced by it, before remembering why they met. “Is Clary gonna be okay?”

Magnus brushed the tear tracks from her face. “Your sister is going to be fine. The only thing left is a scar that will heal with time.” He stood back up and held out his hand once more. “Come, I’m sure she’ll want to see you when she wakes.”

—-------

It’s been a few hours since the Fairchild family have come to the Warlock’s residence. Clary still passed out on the couch from the magical coma Magnus put her under to heal faster. Kassidy was curled up on the chair next to her sister fast asleep, emotionally drained from today’s events. Their mother was leaning against the wall watching them, but turned to look at Magnus when he handed her a cup filled with tea.

“Kassidy is powerful for someone her age.” Magnus commented.

“Yeah, she is.” Jocelyn replied.

Magnus took a sip of his tea. “She will need a teacher.”

The shadow hunter sighed, thinking of what happened earlier. “She needs to be in a place where she won’t cause any more harm to Clary.”

“What happened,” The warlock glanced at her. “was an accident. Kassidy hasn’t been able to practice control because you won’t let her.”

“I’ve been trying to keep them out of the shadow world, they are too young.” Jocelyn raised her voice.

“I hate to break it to you shadowhunter, but this is their world. Especially Kassidy's.” He shook his head at the sleeping warlock. “She’s a warlock, I don’t know how, but she is. It is her birth right to practice her abilities. If she wants to share that with her twin sister, I see no problem with that.” Magnus shrugged. 

“Well you’re not her mother are you?” Jocelyn eyebrow rose.

“No, but that doesn’t make me any less right.” Magnus shot back.

Jocelyn huffed and turned back to the twins. She knew he was right about this being their world, but she didn’t want to accept that no matter how hard she tried they would be a part of it. Unless… “You can do memory spells, right?”

“Yes.” Magnus replied, not knowing where she was going with this.

Jocelyn walked closer to Clary. “How hard would it be to wipe every memory of the shadow world and magic all together?”

The warlock’s eyes bulged out of his head at the idea. “You’re asking me to wipe six years of memories of who they both are!”

“Not they.” The shadow hunter brushed Clary’s hair. “Just Clary’s.”

“You want me to erase every memory filled with the shadow world? That would include Kassidy.” 

“I know. Can you do it?”

Magnus looked at her in disbelief. “No.”

“Magnus, please!” The mother turned to look at him.

“I will not take them away from each other.” Magnus walked to the kitchen, not wanting to be part of this conversation.

“You said Kassidy needed a teacher.” Jocelyn followed him.

“Yes, a teacher.” He agreed. “Not a mother's abandonment.”

“They’re only six, Kassidy will learn to live without Clary.” She pointed out.

Magnus scoffed. “While your precious shadowhunter daughter lives in unaware bliss.”

Jocelyn’s eye twitched in irrantation. “If you don’t do it, I will find someone else to do it.”

Mangus lips pulled into a smug smile. “Any other warlock would butched the spell. I’m going to have to call your bluff, Jocelyn.”

“Fine.” Jocelyn muttered and began walking to the twins, ready to pick them up and to find someone else to help her.

Just as she began to lift Clary, Mgnaus called out. “Wait!” He then sighed. “Fine, I will do it, but know this.” He pointed his finger at her. “Kassidy will hate you forever for taking her from Clary. And forever for a warlock is a long time.”

The mother of the twins looked at Kassidy sleeping in the chair with a hand holding on to her twins. “Do it.”

----------

Kassidy Bane has finally come to life!

Are you excited, because I'm excited.

-DA

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

159K 4.5K 28
"She put a binding rune on the door. I can't get it open." "I'd say she doesn't want to see you." #1 in "magnus" Andina Wayland has grown up with...
831 35 6
The greatest Shadowhunter of his generation is what they say about the Legendary Jace Wyland. But. What you do not know, is that they also say the sa...
61.4K 1K 50
In the Shadow-world all the legends are true. From Werewolf's to Warlock, Vampires and angel/human hybrids called Shadowhunters, who fight demons for...
32.5K 1.4K 25
Alec Lightwood is 21 years old and has promptly been arrested for being complicit in a group assault on a older gentleman that tried to commit rape o...