The Second Dragonoid's Tale

By zairrik

Follow an unlucky fellow as F/N discovers a new world and things he never knew. Rediscover things he would ra... More

Chapter 1: New Life, New Monsters
Chapter 2: The Storm Dragon, The Slime, & The What?
Chapter 3: Helping The Goblin Village
Chapter 3.5: Everybody Talks
Chapter 4: Names
Chapter 5: Rules For Monsters
Chapter 6: Empowerment Duo
Chapter 7: Ask & Hear The Answer
Chapter 8: Dreadful Dreams Beside Reality
Chapter 9: Mistakes
Chapter 10: A Needed Talk
Chapter 10.5: Veldora
Chapter 11: Calm Before The Storm
Chapter 12: Striking Tempest Part 1
Chapter 13: Striking Tempest Part 2
Chapter 14: Alliance
Chapter 15: Parting of Ways
Chapter 16: First Day In Dwargon
Chapter 17: Knowledge & Faith
Chapter 18: Visit Ends
Chapter 19: Leaving
Chapter 20: Dwelling Of Ramiris
Chapter 21: Abomination
Special: Juramas
Chapter 22: A Strong Spirit
Chapter 23: Tempest & Gazel
Chapter 23.5: Four Demon Lords
Chapter 24: Short Side Love Story
Chapter 25: Milim Arrives
Chapter 26: One More Talk
Chapter 27: Moments In Time
Chapter 28: Unwelcomed Zealots
Chapter 30: Training One's Self In Mind
Chapter 30.5: Little Scheme
Chapter 31: A Chat With Rimuru
Chapter 32: F/N Versus Charybdis! Siblings Clash!
Chapter 33: Melancholy
Chapter 34: Doldrums
Chapter 35: Before The Dark Horizon
Chapter 36: Ingrassia
Chapter 37: Saved Souls
Chapter 38: Rumble In The Beast Kingdom
Chapter 39: Versus Milim! Devastation!
Chapter 40: Corruption & True Dragon Magic
Chapter 41: That Time A Slime Saved A Dragonoid
Chapter 42: Going Forward
Ultimate Skills
Chapter 43: Walpurgis & Velzard
Chapter 44: Tempest Dividends
Chapter 45: Plan For A Festival
Chapter 46: Cherry & Saints
Chapter 47: Tempest & Saints
Chapter 48: Luminous & Veldora
Chapter 49: Cold Comfort For The False Dragon
Chapter 50: Invite Only
Chapter 51: A Family Matter
Chapter 52: Reconcile
Chapter 53: Tempest Tango Festival
Chapter 54: Grand Closing
Chapter 55: Descend Into Ruin, In All Ways
Chapter 56: A Princess & A Dragon
Chapter 57: Scorched Empire
Chapter 58: Ivarage

Chapter 29: Who Wants To Play Hero?

1.7K 79 18
By zairrik

The Kingdom of Falmuth is located in a valuable position, being the western neighbor of Dwargon with the dangerous seas to the north, a touch of the Jura Forest forest that cut off the Kingdom of Blumund, and dangerous mountainous terrain to its west, it was the main trade partner between the Armed Nation of Dwargon and the rest of the western kingdoms. Several problems would befall this kingdom thanks to the Lords of the Jura Forest and the Demon Lords.

It was only much later, after the matter was long settled, that Falmuth became aware of the orc army and its orc lord. Fearing the dangers of such a threat, both financially and in the lives of the elites, the earl that ruled the area near the Jura Forest came up with a plan. Send the prisoners of the area that were captured on a suicide mission to investigate the situation. The leader of the group and the members of it were well aware of how they were viewed as expendable.

As a side note, if Falmuth wasn't dedicated to the teachings of the Luminous like all other western kingdoms, they would have heard the news faster. Instead, the information flowed slowly through Dwargon, who was not yet sure how to reveal that the threat was dealt with by an alliance of monsters, a threat on the level with the orc army. So to protect the Lords of the Forest, his juniors, King Gazel ordered a gag on information relating to the city of Veldora, the nation of Tempest, the Lords, and the orc army.

This also meant that the friendship between Dwargon and Tempest was not officially announced, however, the king would keep to the contract's word and his own. This friendship opened the flow of new traders to and from Tempest, which slowly moved the information naturally, and after a game of telephone, most information became distorted. Instead of hearing "The orc army that invaded the Jura Forest was defeated by the monster alliance," all Falmuth would hear is, "The orc army invaded the Jura Forest." The fact that human kingdoms didn't believe different monsters could work together also contributed to the distortion.

***

The next morning. I was up late, even after Shion went to sleep, doing work that I kept to myself, and before the sun rose I made sure to be in the kitchen before anyone besides the night patrols was awake. Preparing mild tea, I planned to bring them upstairs and wake Shion when she woke up surprisingly early though not completely awake. We chatted as I made breakfast, the smell waking up the other guest that was sound asleep all night.

Once we were finished eating I realized something, we were running low on meat. Between the amount Milim can eat and the amount Shion has gone through during her lessons with me, it was clear we needed more. Sending them off on their way, I grabbed my sword and went out into the forest northwest of the city with Erebus who would transport the food back. Going far into the woods, I began to hear rumbling in the distance.

Investigating from afar I saw that a spider-crab, a Night Spider as Gobta once referred to it, was chasing a group of adventurers. Three were the same ones Rimuru and I saw enter the cave Veldora was sealed in. I decided to wait before interfering, to see if they really needed my help or if they had the situation handled. Given the fearful expressions on their faces, it was kind of obvious.

I watched as the young man saved the girl when the creature attempted to crush her mid-chase. In turn, as he carried her she launched a volley of stones at the creature. It was less than effective and they continued running from it. When they finally stopped to fight it, it was clear they stood no chance. Then a stranger stepped in, a rough-looking young man with hair covering one eye, sword ready to fight the creature.

During the exchange, I moved closer and heard them introduce themselves. Fuze, the oldest of the group, a middle-aged man, with a thin scar over one eye and a light beard. Kaval was the young man, Gido was the burly one, and Eren was the girl. The helpful stranger was Youm. He was no longer helpful when the spider snapped his blade in half.

"Youm!" A man I barely noticed yelled.

As the creature's next attack was coming down, I stepped in and with my sword severed the leg of the spider, "If you're going to jump in to save people, you should at least have the power to do it before you die." I scolded him.

"You are..." The young man said, "Who are you?"

"You enter the Jura Forest and you don't even know my name?" I asked, turning my back on the spider that screamed in pain.

"Hey, the spider is still-!" Fuze yelled.

"[Silent Tempest]," A gentle breeze passed, the spider fell silent, and so fell its leg as the wind sliced through the spider. "You mean dinner," I turned to look at the legs, "I mean, they look like crab legs... probably taste like crab."

"So... who are you?" The young man asked.

"F/N Dora Tempest," I looked back over my shoulder, "Erebus."

Erebus, in his massive form, appeared behind them, giving them a startle, "Yes, F/N."

"Bring the legs back for me," I looked to the main body and groaned, "Give Kaijin the body, maybe it'll be good materials."

"Understood," Erebus began transporting the body as I interrogated them.

"What brings you here into the forest?" I asked, my sword resting on my shoulder.

Fuze stepped forward, "My name is Fuze. I am the Guild Master in the Blumund Kingdom and I am to meet with the one called Rimuru about the incident months ago relating to the orc army."

"Let me guess," I added to his answer, "You found out he dealt with the situation, investigated it, found out it was true, and came here now to confirm everything else."

"In a manner of speaking," Fuze examined me, "You're the second Lord of this forest."

"In a manner of speaking," I tilted my head, "I had another comment, but never mind... basically, you're here to confirm whether we, a nation of monsters, are a threat. The same as King Gazel had."

"King Gazel visited you?" Fuze didn't seem to initially believe it.

"I could bring us back to the city if you want," Erebus offered, quickly done with his work, shrinking his size to be more approachable. "I'm sure the others would like to try our spoils."

I reminded him, "If Milim gets a taste for crab then we'll need more than a few legs." I pointed my sword in the direction we came from, "If you keep going that way it's clear of the dangerous monsters and shouldn't be that bad of a walk to the city. Just don't get lost and piss off anything."

The three adventurers looked at each other and started whispering. All of which I could hear, Fuze, noticing it, spoke up, "What is it?"

The girl, Eren, spoke up, "Maybe we could use the help to get to the city?"

Fuze looked at Youm, who in turn gestured with his broken sword, "Fine." He asked of me, "Could you bring us to the city, as a sign of good intentions?"

Knowing there was no real choice in the matter, I agreed, "Okay." In the conference room, with a replacement table, the visitors were seated at the table before Shion, Shuna, Benimaru, Milim, and Rimuru arrived. When they did, I explained the situation, "And that's why I'm back early."

"I understand," Rimuru said, plopping onto the table in slime form. "It is a pleasure to meet you Fuze. I am Rimuru Tempest."

Fuze nodded his head, "I received a report from these three after their scout of the forest. First, I would like to thank you for mourning our guild's hero."

"No problem," Rimuru went on, "As for the matter of our relationship with Dwargon-"

There was a knock at the door, opening it, Vesta and Kaijin walked in with Souei. "Pardon our lateness Lords," Vesta spoke, "We rushed to put our projects aside."

"There's no need to worry, Vesta," Rimuru said to calm his nerves.

Fuze's eyes widened upon realizing it, "The Prime Minister of Dwargon, Vesta?!" He shouted.

"And with him is Kaijin," I pointed with my thumb, "They both live and work as our city's researcher and head blacksmith."

Fuze appeared to become stunned by the information, prompting Youm to get attention, "What brings you guys here?" Rimuru asked, "Are you also with the Blumund Guild?"

"Before that," Youm said, "I want to ask, why is the slime the one doing the talking? Does no one else find it odd that a slime and majin-" I smashed the table.

"Dragonoid," I said with a stern voice. "I am getting real tired of correcting people."

"You really should bother to learn who a person is before speaking," Shion spoke up.

"Shut up Boobs!" Youm said before being smacked by Shion's sheathed sword.

Milim laughed, "Shion's like you said, wild with her emotions!"

Shion and I looked at Milim, both knowing where she heard that from. I mentally spoke to her, Never say that aloud again to anyone or no cooked food for a whole month. Milim appeared shocked and kept quiet after that.

"Um," The small, weak-looking guy with glasses spoke up, "We are an investigation team from the Falmuth Kingdom. Youm is our chief and I am the overseer of the team, Ronmel. It is by pure chance that we have been able to meet you, but are glad to find that the Orc Lord is already no more."

There were a number of other members in the unit, all of them seemingly vulgar when I saw them. They were left in a separate building to eat and drink away from the people of the city and were left with Hakurou and Gobta to keep an eye on them.

"I'm surprised none of them have run off yet," Rimuru said without thinking.

"Which is why I am traveling with them. They're all strictly bound with magical contracts." Ronmel then confessed, "Well, all the contracts have already been undone..." He laughed it off.

"Then you chose not to run," I looked at Youm, who crossed his arms defensively. "That sword of yours would have failed in the fight against the orcs, but you knew that already."

Youm leaned back in the chair, putting his feet up, "If no one scouted our the Orc Lord, the city people would be in danger, right? Don't misunderstand, it's not that I care about those shitty old men and women, or those shitty brats." Another tsundere.

Milim, bored, began tying a bow into my hair as Youm and Ronmel began explaining the corruption of the earl. Rimuru thought for a moment before proposing an idea to me. Sharing our thoughts back and forth, earning a nervous look from Youm in the process, we came to an agreement.

"Fuze," I called him to bring him out of his stunned state. "How widespread is the knowledge that the Orc Lord was defeated by us?"

"Not far," Fuze became serious, "Or rather, only a few people know for certain. These three were present when we learned of it." He looked to Souei. "The only others I can say know the truth are the Minister of Blumund and King Gazel."

"Meaning we can control the narrative," I smacked Rimuru to say it.

"We've decided, Youm, how do you feel about being a hero?" Rimuru asked.

Youm looked unnerved by the suggestion, "Become... a hero?"

"Look," I explained, "As it stands, information that an alliance of monsters defeated the Orc Lord and his army is only going to paint a target on our back by more countries trying to investigate. Today it's you and Dwargon, tomorrow it could be someone less friendly. That's why we need a human that can play the role of hero."

"A nation of monsters aided a gallant party of heroes with arms and provisions so that they could stop the threat before it reached the kingdoms. It establishes us as friendly and in a supportive role in the matter while giving the defeat to you and your party," Rimuru added.

"The Blumund Kingdom can assist you with that plan," Fuze stated as fact. "With the Minister's agreement, we can spread the rumor to neighboring countries."

"Hold on!" Youm protested, "What are you jumping on board for?! These guys are monsters!"

"I can understand your concern," Fuze said, "But there is more to this than kindness, or were you not listening when he told us about Tempest?"

"I can recap," I raised my hand, "We're a nation of over 10,000 named monsters from different tribes. Supported by the Dryads and friend to the visiting Demon Lord Milim," I patted her head. "And Rimuru or I alone could destroy a kingdom with ease."

"Did you really say that to them?" Rimuru asked me.

"I alluded to it. It's true," I pointed out.

"I, for one," Fuze continued, "Would like to give the plan some thought. That's assuming that you really aren't an enemy to mankind."

"Stay for a while," Rimuru suggests, "You might even enjoy it." Fuze nods. "You too, Youm. You are the main part of the plan, but feel free to refuse,"

Youm scuffed, "You're asking me to play the role of some kind of [Chosen Hero]."

"That won't do," Milim spoke up. "Those are unique existences like Demon Lords. If you value your life then don't call yourself that. Hero should be fine though."

"There's a difference between Chosen Hero and Hero?" I looked at Milim, more interested in learning how knowledgeable she was than the knowledge itself.

"Oh definitely," Milim continued, "If he called himself a Chosen Hero then the [World] would take that as a challenge." She tilted her head, looking at me, "I'd like it if you were a Demon Lord, but you might be able to call yourself a Chosen Hero."

"What, him?" Fuze asked, the rest in the room was surprised to hear that as I.

"A monster can become a Hero?" I asked her in disbelief.

"Well," Milim rocked her head back and forth, "You do have the blessings of Light, Darkness, and Ramiris. So... yeah, there's no problem there."

"I am a Dragonoid. Not human. That's the problem," I pointed out.

"Is it though?" Milim asked, confused. "You would just evolve into a Hero, right?"

"That..." I paused for a moment, "Is a good question. But if Demon Lords are for monsters, then a Hero is for humans. Meaning I would have to dedicate myself to mankind."

Milim nodded with a smile, "But you're my best friend, so you wouldn't do a thing like that. I'm sure you'll want to become a Demon Lord eventually, like me."

Something in the way she said that made me feel sad for her, "Alright, let's dial this all back. Let's call an end to this meeting for now to give everyone time to think things over. Agreed?"

With that decided, the only ones that stayed in the room were Rimuru and Ronmel. While Youm exploded the city by himself, the three adventures managed to convince Fuze to follow them to eat a bite. Since Milim was also hungry, I decided to prepare the crab legs and try them with her. While we were eating at home, I examined Milim's expression, demeanor, and movement without moving my eyes.

"Is something wrong?" She noticed.

"Milim," I asked softly with genuineness, "Are you afraid of being alone?"

There was a long pause before she smiled, "Not at all! Hey, are you going to get your portion? Can I have it?"

I now knew, without a doubt, what Milim looked like when she was lying and dodging the question. I gave her my portion, despite how much I wanted to finish it. Later on, I would hunt more so everyone could get a taste.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.7K 767 74
In a new fantasy world, Rimuru Tempest, after reincarnation, finds an unexpected companion in the form of a cute, slime like himself. Together...
80.9K 2.6K 24
Tempest in ruins? What happened to this World? This is the sequel of Another Past? so enjoy it. This won't be after the LN.
23.5K 1.3K 56
Ideas, alternate universes detailing what could have been. Deviations in thought patterns, events, feelings. All this and more can help create an int...
5.6K 196 5
I dont own tensei shitara slime datta ken it belongs to fuze Some of it might belong to the game Isekai slime Spoilers! WN and LN I dont own any of...