And Then There Was You (Chris...

By belleofmarvel

In this AU Chris Evans joins us as a firefighter/paramedic. Daphne is a kindergarten teacher and the only da... More

August 10 6:00 am
August 10 Sunrise
August 10 Afternoon
August 15
September 3 Kickoff
September 3 Halftime
September 4
September 10 Community Helpers
September 10 It's been a long week
September 11 Brunch
September 20
September 20 Dinner
September 24 It's About Time
October 4 Game Night
October 8 Homecoming
November 1 North East Florida Fair
November: Thanksgiving and a Wedding Part 1
November Thanksgiving and a Wedding Part 2
November Thanksgiving and a Wedding Part 3
A/N and Question
November: Thanksgiving and a Wedding Part 4
November Thanksgiving and a Wedding Part 5
December Part 1
December Part 2
December Part 3
December: Christmas Break Part 1
December: Christmas Break Part 2
December: Christmas Break Part 3
December Christmas Day Part 1
December Christmas Day Part 2
December Christmas Day Part 3
January 3
January 3 Part 2
January 4 The Trip Home
January: Plans, Plans and More Plans
February: Taking Charge
February Valentine's Day
Valentine's Day Part 2
February: Decisions
February: Decisions Part 2
March: Breakthrough
March: One Last Hurrah
March: Too Far?
April: Surprise!
April: A Step to Forever
Rehearsal Day Part 1
Rehearsal Day Part 2
Wedding Day Part 1
Wedding Day Part 2
Wedding Day Part 3
Honeymoon Part 1
Honeymoon Part 2
Honeymoon Part 3
Honeymoon Part 4
Honeymoon Day 4 At Sea
Honeymoon Kahului Hawaii
Honeymoon: Honolulu
Honeymoon: Captain's Dinner
Honeymoon: Happy Birthday?
Honeymoon: Island Time
Honeymoon: The Last Leg
Welcome Home
Back to Reality
May: Play Ball
May: Moving Out or Moving In?
May: Father Figure
June: Double Date
June: Baby Love
June: Thirty Four Part One
June: Thirty Four Part Two
July: The Big Bang
July: Wobble Baby Wobble
July: When it Rains
August: Back At It
September
September Get Away
Every New Beginning UPDATE
October
October: Mood Swings
October: Baby Day
October: Baby Day Part 2
November Part 1
November: Vacation
UPDATE
November: Vacation Part 2
November: Vacation Part 3
November: Vacation Part 4
November Vacation Part 5
November Vacation Part 6
November Vacation Part 7
December Part 1
December Part 2
December: Maybe Baby?
Not Exactly an Update
January: Cheers to a New Year
February: It's a ...
March
April: Anniversary Wish
Wow. (Not an update)
Sorry!
May (Part 1)
May (Part 2)
May (Part 3)
May (Part 5)
Apology
June (Part 1)
June Part 2
A/N ~5/31/22
Recommendations?
A/N
June (Part 3)
What if...
June (Part 4)
June (Part 5)
June (Part 6)
June (4 Years Later)
Author's Note
!!NEW!!
New New New!
One Shot

May (Part 4)

482 31 10
By belleofmarvel

Daphne POV

  I blink my eyes quickly trying to get the images in front of me to go back into focus, but to no avail. "Something's not right, Chris," my voice strained and worried.

  "What do you mean, Daphne?"

  "My eyes," I say faintly still continuing to blink, now even rubbing over them with my fingers caring very little about my wedding make up. 

  Chris shoves his chair back, not quietly at all but to no ones notice since there's a lively party going on all around us. He offers me his hand as his eyes scan the room. I stand up as he places a hand under my arm to better support me. 

  "Daph, what's going on?" Oliver asks, noticing the panicked look on my face.

  "I'm just not feeling well," I assure him. "We'll call you later on, alright?"

  Hazel squeezes my hand. "Let me know if you need anything."

  I notice Chris nod his head towards Will across the room. He motions to him to meet us near the exit. "What are you doing, Chris?" I ask as Chris moves quickly.

  I now notice that Will is in uniform. "Can you open up the rig?" Chris asks him, moving closer to the door.

  "Sure. Everything alright?" We follow Will out to where the rig is parked, watching him open up the back.

  Chris jumps right up into the back of the rig, offering me his hand. I give him a look of disbelief. "I can't get up there."

  "Will?" he motions to his friend to help me.

  "Daphne sit there," he points to the bench across from the gurney. He reaches over and grabs a blood pressure cuff off the wall opposite of me. 

  "What are you thinking?" I ask as he puts the cuff around my right arm.

  "Uncross your ankles, sit back and breathe normally," he instructs me as he takes my blood pressure. 

  "How's your vision now?"

  My eyes go from the cuff up to my husband. "Still a bit fuzzy. Care to enlighten me as to what you're thinking?"

  "145/95," he says releasing a breath. "Do you know if your mom had any issues with blood pressure during pregnancy?"

  I shake my head, although unsure of the truth. "What are you looking for exactly?"

  "Will?" he motions to his friend to take a reading as well.

  "Am I invisible here? Can no one hear me speak?" I'm beginning to get more frustrated as the pain in my head continues to throb and no one giving me the actual attention I need for my questioning to be answered.

  "I've got 147/96." 

  I see Chris chew on the corner of his mouth, nodding his head. He reaches over lifting the bottom of my dress to reveal my feet that are still resting in the slippers. His teeth now run over his bottom lip as he looks back at me, letting go of the hem of my dress. "High BP, headache, blurred vision, swollen feet, ankles, legs," he pauses, lifting my hands, "and hands."

  "You want to go in?" Will asks him. Everyone still ignoring me. 

  "Not yet. I'll get her home, have her lay on her left side for a bit, chug some water and then check her over again." He jumps down from the rig, lifting his arms up to me. I shake my head no, instead sliding off the bench to the floor of the rig. I scoot my butt over to the edge, take his hands and then carefully slide the rest of the way down.

  Will locks the rig up behind us as we walk off back towards the building. "I'm gonna get Hazel to walk with you to grab your stuff from the bridal suite while I tell Hayden we need to go."

  "Why won't you tell me what's going on?" 

  "Everything's fine. I just want to keep an eye on you for a bit," he assures me as we reach our table. "Hazel can you go with Daph to get her stuff and meet me out front?" She nods, taking my hand in hers.

  "You alright?"

  "I wish I could answer that question, but I don't have any idea what's going on. Maybe have Ollie text Chris after we've left," I suggest. 

  She opens the door to the suite. "You sit, and just point out what's yours." And that's what I do, motioning over to my bag in the corner where most of my clothes from earlier just sit on top of it. Hazel being the wonderful woman she is tosses everything inside. "Any of this make up over here?"

  I shake my head no but point over to where the curling iron is sitting. "The Tiffany blue one."

  She tosses it into the bag as well as I give one more scan around the room. "If you've forgotten anything I'm sure Charlotte will let you know," Hazel assures me as she offers a hand. "Let's go."

  We find the bride and groom huddled up at the back door with Chris and Oliver. "I don't mean to sound so panicked but all of this is scaring me," I whisper to Hazel as we walk to join them. 

  "Just breathe, Daphne. Pretty sure having a medic for a husband is a good thing."

  'Or terrifying in this case,' I think to myself.

  Charlotte gives me a gentle hug as I get closer to her. "Text me tomorrow and let me know how you're feeling."

  I shake my head no. "You're going to be on your honeymoon, no way."

  "Hayden's gonna be calling Chris anyways, so you may as well text me directly. You know men don't ever keep the story straight."

  I do know that, but in this profession I'd hope they're able to keep medical things straight at least.

  "Let me help you get her to the truck," I over hear Hayden say to Chris as he's opening the exit door. Oliver steps in quickly telling him to go back to the party that he'll help us. 

  "Sure you don't want me to follow you?" he offers as Chris opens the door of the truck that he pulled closer to the door.

  "We'll be alright. I'll text you when I get her home and situated." Chris doesn't offer me a hand but just automatically bends down to lift me into the truck, shutting the door behind me hurriedly. 

Chris POV

  "Care to tell me what's going on yet?" Daphne asks me as I pull out of the parking lot and away from the wedding festivities.

  I know that by not telling her I'm causing her to worry, but if I tell her exactly what I fear is going on, it'll only make things worse too. I glance over to see her staring me down, her face not just filled with worry but frustration as well. 

  Taking a deep breath I choose my words wisely. "Your blood pressure is high. It could be because of your headache. Pain makes blood pressure rise. But," I pause to look in the rearview mirror, "if your sight is fuzzy, and with the amount of swelling you've been having I'm concerned there may be something more."

  I hear her own breath faltering before she speaks. "More. More like what?"

  Pushing the blinker down to turn left onto our road, I push on the gas a little more. "Have you been going to the bathroom a lot? Like normal I mean?"

  "Not exactly," she says shaking her head. "I kept feeling the urge, but not much was happening. I just assumed I wasn't drinking enough. You know I was terrified of having to go during the ceremony.

  There's another symptom. I debate turning the truck around completely and head to the hospital instead of the house. "We're gonna go in and change real quick, make a couple calls and then head to the hospital. Do you have Dr. Kallen's on call number?"

  "Tell me what the hell is going on, Chris!" she yells out as her head snaps towards me. 

  "I think you may be preeclamptic."

  "What?" she whispers.

  "I could be wrong, and you could just be dealing with high blood pressure. But, since you mentioned that about your urine output, I'd rather just be sure. So, do you have the number with you or is it at the house?" She begins fumbling through her purse, searching for her phone. I see she's shaking as she lifts it out. I put my hand out in front of her, requesting it.

  "I can do it. Just give me a second."

  I pull back, focusing on the road ahead as I reach our driveway. The tires spin out a bit as I pull onto the dirt road, again going faster than I normally would. 

  Tossing the truck in park before Daphne has begun the call I take the cell from her hand. "I'll make the call while you change."

  "You're scaring me," she mumbles, finally looking up from her hands.

  I take her hands in my own, squeezing them tightly. "I'm sorry, Daphne. I don't mean to. I just want to make sure you're alright and the only way I can do that is if we go to the hospital."  Releasing her hands I jump down from the truck and move quickly to her side, helping her out once more. 

  "I'll call the doctor while you change," I say once more. "And we can call your parents on the way." Daphne just nods as she walks slowly through the garage and into the house.

  I follow behind her into the bedroom grabbing up my shorts and t-shirt from this morning. Deciding to make the call in another room just incase the doctor mentions something that may cause her more stress. 

  I just decide to go into the nursery since it's the first room I come to. I put the call on speaker and hurriedly begin stripping down as it rings. 

  "Dr. Kallen speaking."

  "Hey, Dr. Kallen it's Chris Evans, Daphne's husband."

  "Mr. Evans, is everything alright? I'm guessing not if I'm hearing from you on a Saturday."

  "No, it's definitely not," I sigh. "Daph's BP is running around 145/95 give or take a couple. She's complaining of a headache that's affecting her sight. She's real swollen and mentioned that she's not had much urine output."

  I hear him click his tongue. "Alright. Let's get her over to the hospital. I'm gonna call the maternity ward because I don't want you going through the ER, there's no telling how long they'd make you wait. I'll send them the orders and have them call me with the results and we'll go from there."

  "Sounds good. Thanks." The call ends right as I pull my shirt over my head. I pause just at the doorway, looking back into the room willing myself to keep my own emotions in check.

  "Chris!" 

  "Daph!" I dash out of the room, running across the house when I hear Daphne call for me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

579K 27.6K 53
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...
855K 35.5K 76
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
112K 1.9K 80
When 30 years old nurse Mia Williams moves from Springfield to Boston in late 2014, she didn't expected 33 years old actor Chris Evans to be her neig...
1.3K 80 16
Y/N Dupain-Cheng is Marinette's twin sister, although they are close, they are like polar opposites. Y/N meets Chat when she is taken hostage by an a...