sunshine | mark sloan

By Rainbow-Candy

veronica jennings was starting her internship. she was ecstatic to finally do what she loved. she was a surgi... More

part one
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
part two
chapter nineteen
extra chapter - smut
chapter twenty
chapter twenty-one
chapter twenty-two
chapter twenty three
chapter twenty four
chapter twenty-five
chapter twenty-six
extra chapter - smut
chapter twenty-seven
chapter twenty-eight
chapter twenty-nine
part three
chapter thirty
chapter thirty-one

chapter eighteen

5.5K 171 7
By Rainbow-Candy

season 4 episode 1

the group, bar george, were no longer interns. they were residents, which meant that they had their own group of interns. 

george was repeating his intern year. 

veronica was finishing some notes when she felt a group of people behind her. she took a deep breath and turned around. 

she began the speech she had heard bailey give them the first day. 

"i have five rules. memorize them."

she began leading them around the hospital, listing off the first four rules as they moved around.

"are we clear?" she asked.

one of them raised their hands, "that was four rules. you said five."

"rule number five...when i move, you move," she finished. her pager went off. "come on."

luckily for veronica, the nurses really liked her, so they had agreed to page her at that point and give her some fake issue that needed solving so that her interns would like her.

they all sat in a hallway, eating, talking about how they felt like frauds and how izzie and veronica were left behind so cristina and meredith could go on cristina's honeymoon. they offered for veronica to go but she felt the pair needed it a lot more than her. so, she stayed behind and watched movies and ate takeaway.

george had come to talk to meredith before the interns entered the hallway.

"hey, um, this is for residents only. no interns," cristina shouted. 

"yeah, get outta here." izzie joined in and then so did the others. 

veronica rolled her eyes. the interns rushed off. 

"i guess i should be going, too," george spoke. 

"no, george. we didn't mean you," meredith called. 

"no, i'm an intern."

"wait. what did you want to tell me?" meredith yelled after him. 

cristina sighed, "uh, is this how it's gonna be all year? because bambi has got to learn how to cope."

veronica shoved her, "at least he came back."

"yeah, cut him some slack," meredith agreed. 

"dude, he failed his exam and got left back in kindergarten," alex mocked. 

"people fail, leave him be," veronica defended.

they got paged as there was a trauma coming in.

---

they had multiple traumas coming in. veronica turned to her interns. 

"i haven't learnt your names yet, so you're numbers until i have," veronica announced. "okay, one, two, go get stat packs. uh, three, four, go meet the ambulances. meredith, i can feel you judging me, please refrain."

she heard izzie's intern group then start to talk about her behind her back about the denny situation. 

"hey, shut the fuck up. she's a brilliant surgeon, stop being dicks," she yelled. "we can put you on scut for your whole intern year if we want to."

veronica rushed out to meet the ambulance, meredith led some of the interns away.

veronica noticed one of hers freeze.

"you okay?"

"my name is lexie. lexie grey," she informed. 

veronica's eyes widened before she nodded, "meredith's sister. right, okay, well we have potential surgeries, so let's deal with that in a bit. but it's nice to meet you."

veronica went to meet an ambulance that had a dead man in it. she was about to pronounce him dead before he began breathing again. 

"this guy isn't dead."

they bagged him and got him back inside. lexie stopped meredith just before to tell her they were related. it was right in the doorway.

"lexie, come on, family reunion after."

veronica moved her out of the way.

---

izzie came in, asking to help. there was, however, no room in the room and the guy had just come back from the dead, so he probably didn't want tons of people gawking at him. 

"show them what is happening and then go," veronica demanded. 

lexie came back with the scans before they paged derek.

"meredith hates me," she complained. 

"she'll come around. plus mer hates most people. she's dark and twisty like that."

"but you don't?"

"i actually kinda like you, so no."

 veronica sent her off to find him, she came back shortly after with him.  

---

"he's been internally decapitated. holy crap," veronica muttered. 

"yeah, 90% of these die in the field," derek told. 

"and the other 10%?" lexie asked. 

"i've never seen one live."

"there's always a first time, though, right? i mean, he came back from the dead."

"lexie's got a point, guys a zombie, how often do you see that?" veronica spoke.

veronica noticed how scared the guy was. she sat next to him, ignoring lexie's eyes on her. 

"i know this is scary. trust me, i know. but dr shepherd is the best of the best. we are going to do everything we can," she reassured. "do you understand?"

he blinked once for yes. 

she left, bumping straight into mark. 

"hey, sweetheart," he greeted. 

"hey, mark. you will not believe what we have in there. the guy is internally decapitated. and was dead. and now he's alive and scared, obviously," she rambled. "tell me something not surgery related."

"derek won't have a drink with me," he told. 

"your boyfriend doesn't want to hang out? guess, he isn't over the whole sleeping with his now ex-wife thing."

"oh, come on."

"it's a big thing mark, just talk to him," she teased. her smile dropped. "i've been meaning to ask you for a while now. is it true that you and addie had a bet going on about me?"

"how did you-"

"ava or rebecca overheard. she said you had to go 60 days without sex for addie to let you ask me out. which is kinda- i can make my own decisions, so don't bet on me again, okay? i'm not some weird prize or whatever and i will not be sleeping with you because someone else gave you permission to," she ranted.

"it wasn't like that. i-"

"it feels like it, mark. i've got to go."

---

veronica always hated the part with the family but seeing this man basically say goodbye to his children and wife without being able to say goodbye, hit her hard.

they took him down to an or but the man tried to move during the surgery. they altered the anaesthesia as veronica warned him not to move. he needed to see his family again. 

and he was going to. 

veronica watched the family go in and see him after his surgery. she watched on. 

she also had heard from lexie that george delivered a baby and that no one else knew he was a repeat. she had come to see her while she was watching the family reunion.

"it's sweet, lexie," she told. "that you aren't telling. he needs that right now. and meredith. she'll come around. she'll see what a great sister she has. but for now, you're the life she couldn't have. you're a reminder her dad left and had you and molly. so give it time."

---

veronica was going to leave, only to be stopped by mark. 

"i'm sorry." he paused. "for the bet."

veronica sighed, "i think i was more mad at addie for trying to control my dating life, you know? like i think i can choose who to date without someone else's input. i'm a grown woman. but i'm also mad at you. why did you make a bet about sleeping with me mark? i don't do one night stands."

"i li- it wasn't like that. i wasn't going to sleep with you. i don't know why i did it."

"okay, well whatever it was, please don't use me for a sex bet again," she joked, nudging him.

"i won't. but you're alright?"

"i'm fine, mark, i'm over it." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.7K 659 50
Eden Abbott is in the last year of her internship at seattle Grace hospital, in her head she would finsih this year without any extra drama then next...
12 0 10
The romantic life of an intern is at times complicated. Especially if your name is Meredith Grey. I wrote this story back in 2006 and finished publis...
107K 3K 130
You have a crush on the new pediatric surgeon. But you have a lot of challenges in your way. Let's see if you finally end up with Arizona. ( this is...