chapter seventeen

season 3 episode 24 - 25

it was the day of the intern exam and the day of susan grey's funeral. meredith was all dressed in black while they studied. meredith came in to the kitchen, answered a question and then left. they were all worried about her, since she was blaming herself for susan's death. 

they all followed after her, going to the hospital, hoping to get some studying in and view something interesting.

veronica wandered around the hospital, flashcards in hand, muttering questions to herself. 

when she caught wind of a trauma coming in, she soon found herself down in the er, watching the mountain climbers come in with severe frostbite. they'd been stuck for days, so it was a miracle they were alive. 

"we're supposed to be studying. if bailey finds out we're down here," izzie began.

"we are studying. how do you treat frostbite?" cristina retorted.

"re-warm, avoid early surgery unless there's a deep infection due to auto-amputation," veronica informed, never missing a beat.

"see? studying."'

they were interrupted by bailey yelling at them, telling them to study and get the hell out of the er. she walked towards them, each of them backing away before they ran off. 

---

thatcher showed up before the exam, telling meredith to not show up to susan's funeral. he was drunk, really drunk. he told her that she was not wanted, that he didn't want her. 

"what a dickhead," veronica exclaimed, moving to pull meredith away from onlookers. 

they were sat in the locker room, right before the exam, comforting meredith. they then had to leave.

veronica breezed through the exam, finishing early, checking it and rechecking it and then rechecking it again. she noticed meredith wasn't doing anything. she wanted to throw a pencil at her, anything to get her just to start writing. she didn't. they finished and meredith hadn't done anything.

they got out, george calling after meredith who sped away.

"she didn't write anything on the test. she didn't answer a single question. she just sat there," he informed.

"i know, i was going to throw a pencil at her but i figured that would get us both disqualified," veronica admitted. george went to run after her. veronica held her arm out. "leave her be, for now, george."

---

they stood staring at a sitting meredith, discussing what to do.

"we could ask to let her resit, she didn't actually sit, really," veronica suggested.