chapter twenty-two

season 4 episode 5TW - cancer, mentions of abuse, deaththere will be a ** before and after the mentions of abuse, it's extremely brief (a sentence each time)

season 4 episode 5
TW - cancer, mentions of abuse, death
there will be a ** before and after the mentions of abuse, it's extremely brief (a sentence each time)

veronica was with izzie and alex. none of them could sleep. alex was helping her carve a pumpkin while izzie was baking. she was making rice crispie squares and veronica couldn't wait to eat them. she hated what izzie had done. but she also knew izzie knew she was wrong for it.

so, she stayed out of it. she was civil with the blonde as they lived together, but that didn't stop her from hating her a little bit on behalf of callie. plus, callie had asked her to not do anything. she was moving past it. well, she was trying to.

"what are you guys doing up?" meredith asked from the doorway.

"couldn't sleep," they all answered.

the truth was veronica's scar was playing up. her bras had been rubbing on it in a way that left it really sore. the area had left, what she thought, was a nasty scar. she was so self conscious of it. mark hadn't even seen her with a bra off because of it. it was a constant reminder that she had cancer, that just like every other shitty thing her mother had done, she had also accidentally passed on the cancer gene and knowing veronica's luck she would pass it on too.

she flinched slightly when she brushed the sore spot in such a way. she knew a lot of it was psychological, after all she was coming up to the anniversary of her diagnosis and her surgery. no one knew that though. the only person she could really talk to about it would be alex.

veronica glanced up to see meredith holding her mothers urn, she frowned, watching the woman carefully. she grabbed a food bag from the cupboard, tipping her mothers ashes into it.

izzie had looked up too, pausing as she stared, "what is that?"

"my mother," meredith informed, zipping the bag shut.

"happy freaking halloween," alex quipped, frowning at the woman.

veronica was wide-eyed as she looked at the bag. it was strange, even for meredith.

---

alex, izzie, veronica and 'heal with kindness' sydney were in the residents room, watching meredith as she was putting her stuff away, including her mother.

cristina walked in, "what are we looking at?"

"meredith put her mom in a baggie and brought her to work," izzie told.

"i had to get her out of my closet. she was haunting me," meredith defended.

"and now she's haunting us all," alex joked.

"i'm putting her to rest."

sydney stood up, "meredith is cleansing. in tribal culture, when one wants to cleanse the past, one cuts off all of one's hair and buries it in the earth. you might try that, too."