chapter twenty-one

season 4 episode 4

season 4 episode 4

veronica was with derek for the day, luckily and had had a kid come in paralysed from playing football. veronica had already chosen lexie of all her interns to shadow her, the others being placed elsewhere as the girl had grown to trust them enough to be on the er or clinic without her hovering. 

the kid had one of the most overbearing, asses for a dad who had that whole you have to work hard 24/7 mentality and god forbid his son shows any weakness. 

lexie was complaining about him. veronica didn't blame her, he was a dick. however, she was trying to concentrate and lexie rambling in her ear was not helping. 

"yeah, well some people's dad's are dicks. you got the ideal parents, lexie. some people's dad's yell at them they wish they'd never been born. we move forward," veronica rambled as the images appeared on the screen. 

"i'm sorry, veron- dr jennings," lexie spoke.

"veronica is fine. or ronnie, or whatever you want, lexie."

veronica looked to derek, getting him to address the intern, asking what she would do in the kid's course of treatment. they then moved on to the subject of meredith, something veronica kept quiet during. not that they were saying anything bad. 

---

their next step was to tell adam, their patient, what they were going to do. they were going to place weights on his head area to basically pop his spine back into place. it sounded aw

when they were addressing the patient, ronnie let lexie take the lead on some of it, noticing how the girl had a way of relating the procedure to what the patient would understand. veronica stepped in to add the finer details. 

"it sounds painful," adam, the football player spoke. 

"painful is if he doesn't fix your spine. painful is you never walk again. okay. we gonna do this thing or what?" stanley, the dad, spoke. 

"sir, your son needs his spine popped back into place. the least you could do is be a bit more sensitive. you being like this will only make everything harder and riskier," veronica fought. "adam, we're going to give you meds to make sure you don't feel it."

so, they got ready to start the procedure. once they had started, anyone could tell adam was struggling and veronica didn't blame him. he'd just had a pretty bad accident, his dad was acting like it was the easiest thing in the world to get through. it didn't help that when adam pleaded for them to stop, telling them he couldn't take anymore, stanley began yelling at him to not quit. 

"adam, we're at twenty pounds," veronica reassured. it was the targeted amount. she tried her best to sooth him but he began yelling to get his dad out of the room. 

veronica jumped up, moving to usher the dad out, "out. now. my patient is in distress and you're the cause." she turned to lexie. "lexie, monitor adam, will you?"