The Heir I Need

By sassytothecore

Years before the Pevensies ever arrived at the Kirke Manor, a different daughter of Eve wandered into Narnia... More

Prologue
Part I: Chapter 1
Part I: Chapter 2
Part I: Chapter 3
Part I: Chapter 4
Part I: Chapter 5
Part I: Chapter 6
Part I: Chapter 7
Part I: Chapter 8
Part I: Chapter 9
Part I: Chapter 10
Part I: Chapter 11
Part I: Chapter 12
Part I: Chapter 13
Part I: Chapter 14
Part I: Chapter 15
Part I: Chapter 16
Part II: Chapter 1
Part II: Chapter 2
Part II: Chapter 3
Part II: Chapter 4
Part II: Chapter 5
Part II: Chapter 6
Part II: Chapter 7
Part II: Chapter 8
Part II: Chapter 9
Part II: Chapter 10
Part II: Chapter 11
Part II: Chapter 12
Part II: Chapter 13
Part III: Chapter 1
Part III: Chapter 2
Part III: Chapter 3
Part III: Chapter 4
Part III: Chapter 5
Part III: Chapter 6
Part III: Chapter 7
Part III: Chapter 9
Part III: Chapter 10
Epilogue

Part III: Chapter 8

919 18 0
By sassytothecore

"We need to find them," Caspian immediately stated.

"I'll go with you," Edmund offered.

"Me as well," I nodded jogging to join the two.

The three of us sprinted toward the source of the scream. If I had felt the terrain was difficult to traverse before, aI found no difficulty with it now. I tried to keep the fear and panic down as we searched for the two boys. Eventually we came upon a valley full of golden treasure. A plain brown shoe caught my eye.

"There," I called pointing it out.

Edmund climbed down first with Caspian and I following close behind. He picked up the shoe slowly.

"Eustace?" he breathed, sounding nervous.

I frowned in confusion until I realized why. The shoe was singed at the tip and was ripped apart. I then saw a pile of burning, ripped clothing.

"Oh no..." I breathed, kneeling beside it.

The clothes were Eustace's too. Edmund knelt beside me picking up the clothes with a crestfallen look. My heart began to hammer as I looked around. Where was Percy?

"Percy?" I called.

"Percival!" Caspian joined in.

We were answered only by the jets of hot air from the nearby geysers.

"He was just a boy," Edmund breathed clutching Eustace's journal is his hands.

"Don't talk like that!" I snapped.

Both of them looked at me with surprised expressions. I swallowed back tears shaking my head.

"They're- they're not dead," I stammered, looking around again.

"Aewryn-" Caspian sighed gently, reaching out.

I smacked his hand away, getting to my feet as tears began to sting my eyes.

"No! They- they aren't! They're alive!" I cried, my voice cracking as the tears began to spring out, "They can't be- no..."

Percy...my little baby...no he-he can't be gone...

A cough sounded somewhere nearby. I turned sharply, my eyes scanning the area. It was nearly impossible to see though as I tried to wipe away the tears to clear my vision. Another cough sounded followed by a weak groan.

"Percy?" I called stepping in the direction of the coughs.

"Aewryn-" Edmund began.

"M-mother?" a weak voice called out.

I gasped rushing toward the sound. I rounded a corner into a small alcove and there he was. He was on his side, curled up in a ball, his eyes barely open and his pants leg smoldering.

"Percy!" I cried falling to my knees at his side.

"Mommy?" he whimpered shifting and then squeezing his eyes tight in pain.

Caspian and Edmund ran over as I carefully pulled him into my lap. I held him tightly to my chest crying softly.

"Praise Aslan," I whispered kissing his head.

My joy was dampened slightly as I looked him over. His right leg was burned from the knee down.

"What happened?" Caspian questioned, kneeling on the other side of Percy.

He reached out to take Percy into his arms. I let him knowing I couldn't carry him all the way back on my own.

"Eust-Eustace...Dra-dragon," Percy stammered, crying out in pain when Caspian picked him up.

My heart broke at his cries. "We need to get out of here. Now." I stated firmly.

Edmund nodded, "Let's go."

We started to head back to the beach where the others were waiting. Edmund paused though squatting down and lifting a sword off the ground.

"Ed-" I began to chide.

"It's one of the seven," he said holding it up for Caspian and I to see.

It was then that I noticed the skeleton beside the sword. He was right. I nodded in understanding and he rejoined us. We continued back to the shoreline.

"Percy!" Lucy gasped rushing over.

"His leg is badly burned," Caspian told her, "We have to get him to the ship so we can treat it."

She nodded in understanding.

"Where's Eustace?" Reepicheep asked looking worried.

Edmund shook his head with a solemn look. He held out Eustace's singed journal to her. She gasped horrified and backed away.

"No..." she breathed.

He nodded silently. The short trip back to the boat was silent. When we arrived, Percy was quickly taken below deck so the medic could take a look at him. Gael rushed over to me and hugged my waist without a word. I knelt hugging her back tightly.

Suddenly, a strange roar echoed from the island. We all froze.

"What was that?" Gael asked looking up at me curiously.

I looked to Drinian, an answer appearing in my mind instantly. His tense expression merely confirmed my fears.

"Is it a volcano?" she asked seeing flames billowing from the island.

"No," I breathed shaking my head, "Get below deck. Now."

She frowned in confusion.

"All hands on deck!" Drinian demanded moving from the helm.

"Archers!" I called pushing Gael toward the steps, "Arm yourselves!"

She obeyed though clearly still confused and went below deck. Everyone sprang into action arming themselves.

"What is it?" Lucy asked, her brow furrowed in confusion.

As if in answer to her question, a massive shadow flew overhead. We all looked up as a roar echoed. It was a dragon with golden scales that glinted in the sunlight. It flew around the ship breathing fire and roaring.

"Take your positions and wait for my command!" Drinian ordered.

I gasped as the dragon landed on the main sail. The whole thing began to rock causing the ship to rock as well. I grabbed onto the railing to stop myself from falling.

"Fire!" Drinian shouted.

The archers began to loose their arrows. The dragon leapt into the air once again, roaring. My mind whirled. How could we have missed a dragon? Or the signs there of?

"Edmund!" Lucy cried.

I turned to see the dragon had grabbed Edmund by the arms and was carrying him off.

"Lucy!" Edmund cried fearfully.

Wait- no we didn't miss the signs. Volcanic island...treasure...What had Percy said? Eustace, dragon. It suddenly clicked just as the dragon circled around again still carrying Edmund.

"Don't shoot it!" I exclaimed just as Edmund yelled, "Hold your fire!"

Caspian whirled around to me, a look of complete bewilderment on his face.

"What?"

"It's Eustace. The dragon is Eustace," I breathed in shock, "He must've taken some of the treasure."

His eyes widened in realization. He quickly called off the archers and we took the longboats back to shore. Eustace set Edmund down then landed on the sandy beach as we approached. When we got closer, it was easy to see the golden jeweled cuff on Eustace's wrist. He held that paw in the air seeming to be in pain. The cuff was much too tight but none of us could get it off.

"That bracelet must have been taken from the valley," Edmund sighed shaking his head.

"What? Everyone knows dragon's treasure is enchanted!" Caspian chuckled looking astonished. His face then fell as Eustace let out an irritated grunt. "Well...anyone from here that is," he corrected himself.

"What're we gonna do? There's no way he'll fit on the ship," Lucy pointed out with a frown.

Caspian looked to me with a questioning expression. I turned away, my eyes turning to the sand instead of the dragon before us. Anger burned in my chest at Eustace for his reckless actions. I didn't dare open my mouth for fear of lashing out. Eventually, Caspian sighed and accepted my silence.

"It's late. Let's spend the night ashore and we'll figure it out in the morning," he suggested.

Everyone looked around at each other before murmuring their agreement. That night as we lay beneath the stars, I found it difficult to sleep. I knew why, but I did not want to acknowledge it. I would've preferred to stay aboard the ship with Percy, but Drinian refused to let me saying that Percy needed to recover without his mother worrying over him.

Eustace's soft cries tugged at my heart as they echoed through the night. He was trying to muffle them and Reepicheep had tried to offer some comfort, but they grated on my ears nonetheless. Finally giving in, I stood and walked over to the dragon turned boy. He shrank back looking up at me with a look that nearly broke my heart.

Closing my eyes, I let out a small breath. I knew I needed to forgive him.

"I know you didn't mean to do it," I said softly, opening my eyes, "You were scared and didn't know it would happen. He's going to be okay though."

He seemed to relax a bit, though his eyes still bore into my own full of apprehension.

"I know you are sorry. And I forgive you," I continued.

His eyes widened. Then he leaned forward a little. I put my hand on his snout with a small smile.

"We'll figure something out," I promised him, "Aslan always has a purpose and plan."

Eustace nodded slowly. He then drew back and laid his head down. His eyes slipped closed and he fell asleep. I returned to my place between Lucy and Caspian with a small sigh. Laying down, I closed my eyes and found myself slipping into a dreamless sleep.

The next morning, the blue star had appeared in the sky. We returned to the ship and began follow it, Eustace flying alongside us. I tried to keep myself busy, but it was no use. I soon found myself at Percy's bedside. He was sleeping since he did not get much sleep the night before. The ship medic informed me that he had had a rather rough night dealing with pain and a bad cough. By morning they'd managed to soothe the cough, thankfully, and Percy had fallen asleep.

"Why did I know I'd find you here?"

I turned to see Drinian had come below deck. I offered a weak chuckle in response before turning back to Percy. He moved to stand beside me silently. After a few moments, I sighed.

"Is it always this hard?" I whispered.

"The first time? Yes," he answered softly, "especially with your first child. We want only the best for them and for them to always be safe."

I nodded in agreement running my hand through his short hair. He even slept the way Peter did. Both arms tucked in, his mouth slightly ajar as soft snores slipped out.

"But..." I glanced up to the man behind me, "There comes a time when we will have to let them out on their own. Yes, we will worry and pray they return home safely. But we must let them go. They have to grow up eventually."

A soft sigh left my lips and I nodded.

"You're right," I murmured, "It's just hard."

"The important things always are."

I hummed in response. We were only at sea for four and a half days before the ship came to a near halt. The wind had vanished completely. There was no way we could get anywhere at the pace we were currently going. The crew got to rowing but it wasn't enough.

"How are we supposed to get to Ramandu's island?" Edmund questioned.

"My guess is something doesn't want us to get to Ramandu's island," Drinian replied lowly.

"There are many things that do not wish for us to reach that island," I countered with a raised brow, "Such as the very evil we are planning to defeat."

He nodded slowly and walked back to the helm. It is a wonder sometimes his superstitions don't overcome him. Some of the men began grumbling about Eustace and our current problem of our once again severely diminished supplies. Suddenly the entire ship shook and everyone toppled over.

"What did we hit?" Edmund gasped scrambling back to his feet.

As it would turn out, we had not hit anything. No, Eustace had grabbed hold of the masthead with his tail and was now pulling the ship.

"Bravo, Eustace!" I cheered laughing.

"Onward, ho!" Reepicheep called from atop Eustace's head.

Everyone began clapping and cheering for the dragon as he continued pulling the ship along. With Eustace's assistance, we finally made it to Ramandu's island just as the sun was setting.

We boarded the longboats and headed ashore. This island was exceedingly different from the one before it, that was for certain. An enormous overgrown forest covered the whole thing. As we walked, we had to cut through vines almost as thick as my wrist and avoid dangling tree limbs rthat stretched over the path. It was beautiful and enchanting. My mind was temporarily taken off Percy as I gazed in awe at the miraculous place bathed in the glow of twilight.

Edmund led the way carrying his torch. The path led us all the way to a clearing in which a long table sat. The table was set as if for a party or dinner of some sort. There was food and drinks of all sorts. The crew gazed hungrily at it as we approached.

"Do not touch anything," I advised, "Until we are certain it is not harmful."

A few grumbles responded, but no one disobeyed me. At the head of the table were three men. We all jolted upon seeing them, everyone drawing their swords. Edmund, the closest to them, pushed back some of the vines to get a better look. Caspian did the same on the other side.

"Three of the lords," he breathed pointing to the ring on the nearest man's finger.

Each of them wore one just like it. I moved closer to one of the lords squatting down a bit. My brow furrowed in confusion seeing the man's eyes were open. He also seemed to be breathing.

"They're alive," I remarked astonished.

The others looked closer as well and saw that I was correct.

"They're under a spell," Edmund guessed.

"The food!" Caspian cried stopping one of the minotaurs from eating an apple.

I frowned at the minotaur. Didn't I just say not to eat anything? He saw my scolding glance and quickly stepped back from the table.

"The Stone Knife," Edmund remarked suddenly catching everyone's attention, "This is Aslan's Table."

"Their swords," Caspian breathed.

He reached down through the vines and withdrew one of the lords' sword. I grabbed the one from the man closest to me as Lucy grabbed the last one. We laid each on the table allowing them to overlap. Edmund then added the other three.

"That's six," he stated.

"We're still missing one," Caspian nodded.

But the swords began to glow. We looked up in amazement as the blue star we'd been following began to glow brighter. It then fell from the sky, descending to the earth. It hovered over the ground for a moment before morphing into a beautiful young woman.

"Travelers of Narnia, welcome," she greeted, her voice smooth and calm.

The crew knelt before her. She nodded to them with a gentle smile.

"Arise. Are you not hungry?" she asked.

"Who are you?" Edmund asked in response.

She turned to him, "I'm Lilliandil, daughter of Ramandu. I am your guide."

We moved closer to her as she walked toward us.

"You are a star?" I breathed, a smile tugging at my lips, "Of all the amazing creatures and beings I have met in Narnia, I have never met a star."

"I am glad to be the first to have met you, Queen Aewryn," she smiled curtsying.

I blinked in surprise.

"You know my name?"

"Yes. I do not know many in Narnia who do not know of the girl who lives forever," she nodded.

"The girl who lives forever?" Lucy repeated with a small laugh.

Lilliandil nodded seeming confused by her laughter.

"Well yes, you were here in Narnia before some of the eldest trees that are alive today. I remember hearing the story of your first visit from another star much older than I am," she explained, "She spoke of how you caught-"

"A falling star on the eve of the Witch's return," I finished, my eyes widening as I remember, "Oh my goodness. That was so long ago."

"Aewryn, how old were you the first time you came to Narnia?" Edmund asked.

I frowned slightly as I thought back. It was so long ago and I'd lived so many lifetimes by now...

"I believe I was six," I answered slowly.

They all looked amazed. I understand why though. No one had ever been back and forth from Narnia so many times. I couldn't help but begin to wonder. How had I?

My thoughts were interrupted, however, by Caspian absently saying, "You are most beautiful."

My eyes widened in surprise as I looked over my shoulder at him. He was gazing at Lilliandil with a truly awestruck look on his face. I had not seen him gaze at a woman this way since Susan. The very thought brought a smile to my face. Perhaps...

"I can change if this form is a distraction to you," she offered.

"No!" Caspian and Edmund exclaimed at the same time.

Lucy and I exchanged a knowing smirk, both chuckling at them. Their faces flushed red and they quickly looked away from her as she smiled.

"Please, the food is for you," she said turning back to the table, "There is enough for all who are welcome at Aslan's Table. Always. Help yourselves."

She waved her hands and lights appeared. The crew began to reach for the food.

"Wait!" Edmund called out making them stop, "What happened to them?"

We all turned to the three lords at the head of the table. Lilliandil's smile slipped.

"These poor men were half mad by the time they reached our shores. They were threatening violence upon each other. That is not allowed at Aslan's Table. So they were put under a spell that would put them to sleep," she explained.

"Will they ever wake?" Lucy asked.

"When all is put right," the star mysteriously answered, "Come, there is little time."

Lucy, Edmund, Caspian, and I followed her as the crew began to indulge themselves. She led us to a ledge from which we could see further to the ocean passed the island. Only a short distance away stood Dark Island.

"We have only found six of the seven swords," I informed Lilliandil, "Do you know the location of the last one?"

She nodded. Then she turned and pointed to the massive of black across from us, "In there."

A shiver ran down my spine. Even from this distance, it was impossible not to sense the great evil that lurked there.

"You will need great courage in order to survive the island," she said turning back to us, "Waste no time."

"I hope we meet again," Caspian told her gently.

I couldn't the smile that formed as Lilliandil nodded and smiled lightly up at him.

"Goodbye..." she breathed then transformed back into a star and returned to the heavens.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

180K 3.8K 18
Hazel and Marcel Hansen have lived with Professor Kirke their whole lives. They knew nothing of their mother and father or what their lives were like...
116K 2.5K 31
"We can be heroes, just for one day" What happened when the proffesor had a grand daughter. But what would happen if Dominique Kirke ends up in Narni...
232K 5.6K 32
What will happen when a girl from the golden trio goes to live with professor Kirke when the Pevensie's are there? What will happen is that she'll ge...
354K 10.2K 31
"Wherever we are, Narnia will always be our special place." ALARICE KIRKE's adventure in NARNIA begins after she became friends with the PEVENSIE sib...