The Heir I Need

By sassytothecore

Years before the Pevensies ever arrived at the Kirke Manor, a different daughter of Eve wandered into Narnia... More

Prologue
Part I: Chapter 2
Part I: Chapter 3
Part I: Chapter 4
Part I: Chapter 5
Part I: Chapter 6
Part I: Chapter 7
Part I: Chapter 8
Part I: Chapter 9
Part I: Chapter 10
Part I: Chapter 11
Part I: Chapter 12
Part I: Chapter 13
Part I: Chapter 14
Part I: Chapter 15
Part I: Chapter 16
Part II: Chapter 1
Part II: Chapter 2
Part II: Chapter 3
Part II: Chapter 4
Part II: Chapter 5
Part II: Chapter 6
Part II: Chapter 7
Part II: Chapter 8
Part II: Chapter 9
Part II: Chapter 10
Part II: Chapter 11
Part II: Chapter 12
Part II: Chapter 13
Part III: Chapter 1
Part III: Chapter 2
Part III: Chapter 3
Part III: Chapter 4
Part III: Chapter 5
Part III: Chapter 6
Part III: Chapter 7
Part III: Chapter 8
Part III: Chapter 9
Part III: Chapter 10
Epilogue

Part I: Chapter 1

4.9K 63 0
By sassytothecore

A/N: Aewryn's name is pronounced Aw-rin, in case you were wondering. 

Aewryn

​​​​​Darkness filled my mind peaceful, silent, and cold. I enjoyed the blissful silence not thinking or remembering. My mind was clear as glass. The cold nagged at me though. Its bitter sharpness stabbed at me on all sides even in my sleep.

"Awake child, your time has come," a gentle yet firm and familar voice commanded.

Light shone behind my shut eyelids. Warmth seemed to surround me. It seeped into my body making me feel alive. My eyes opened slowly to a white wintery wonderland surrounding me. I sat up slowly rubbing the sleep from my eyes with a yawn. Snow tumbled off my head causing me to giggle and brush the rest away.

"Hello Aslan," I greeted the massive lion in front of me.

"Hello Aewryn," he responded with a chuckle, "Now come along. There's someone I want you to meet."

I stood causing a cascade of ice and snow to fall. Ignoring the snow, I followed Aslan through the forest. Everything looked different from when I was last awake. There were trees in places that before held tiny saplings and snow covered everything. Frowning I wondered where all the snow had come from.

"It has been almost a hundred years since you first finished your training," Aslan answered my unvoiced questions, "In that time the White Witch has taken over much of Narnia covering it with her desolate snow and ice. Several have joined her in her terrible reign. She has crowned herself Queen of Narnia. Nothing will change unless two daughters of Eve and two sons of Adam return to Narnia and claim their thrones. Your job will be to aid and protect them."

I took all the information in with a nod. We walked for a little longer before we stopped in front of a lamppost that seemed rather random. It was in the middle of an icy glade.

"Are you ready?" Aslan asked.

I took a deep breath and looked down to see my sword strapped to my side and a dagger on the other side. My hand reached out to them letting my fingers brush both weapons. Then I turned to Aslan and nodded.

"I am," I answered firmly.

"Good," he responded nodding firmly.

A rustling in the trees caught my attention. I turned only to see a small bunny hop out. Turning back to Aslan, I was surprised to find him gone. I shook my head smiling to myself. He works in strange ways sometimes.

Lucy

I ducked into a random room far from where Peter was counting. Shutting the door silently, I looked around the room to see a huge dirty white cloth covering something. How strange? I walked over and gingerly pulled off the cloth. It came tumbling down to the floor revealing a massive beautiful wardrobe. A smile spread across my lips as I carefully opened the door and climbed inside. Somewhere farther off, I could hear Peter counting still. He'll never think to look here.

I smiled knowing I'd already won as I backed up from the entrance to hide myself farther in. My hands stayed behind my back feeling around for the back of the wardrobe. However I couldn't seem to find it. The farther in I went the colder it started to feel. Confusion filled my mind when suddenly my hand brushed against something that felt more like a pine needle than a coat. Turning slowly I looked around to see snow covered trees in front of me.

"Whoa," I gasped stepping out into a wintery wonderland.

It was snowing gently. My feet moved through the powder on the ground almost silently. This is amazing! I turned to look over my shoulder. Sure enough I could still see the entrance to the wardrobe. Smiling I went farther in laughing softly as the snow tickled my face and hands. The cold hardly fazed me as I walked looking around at everything. I glanced back once more before continuing forward. I'll only be gone a little bit. They won't notice.

I walked into a small clearing to see a large snow covered lamppost in the middle. It was lit and glowing, but seemed rather misplaced in this snowy forest. Curiously I walked over to it examining it. Nothing about it seemed out of the ordinary. But what was it doing in the middle of this forest. A soft rustling to my right caught my attention. I turned to see nothing. I turned back to the lamppost only to here the noise again.

"Who's there?" I asked trying to sound brave.

My voice came out as a little squeak though. I would've laughed at it but I was too scared.

The rustling began again and the soft crunch of footsteps came closer. Then a girl much older than me stepped out from behind a tree. She wore a strange blue dress. It kinda reminded me of a princess. She didn't have a crown though and there was a sword strapped to her waist.

"Hello, I'm Lucy," I said with a smile.

She smiled back at me.

"My name's Aewryn. I haven't seen you around before. There are no other daughters of Eve in Narnia," she replied looking a little confused.

"Daughter of Eve?" I questioned with a confused frown.

"Oh right," she exclaimed blushing, "If you just got here than you don't know Narnian terms. Human girl, that's what I meant. If you're a daughter of Eve, you must be one of the ones I am supposed to protect."

"Oh," I said still very confused by what she was saying.

"I'm sorry, this must be very confusing. You have siblings right?" she asked me.

I nodded, "Yes, three."

"Well I am supposed to protect the four of you," she explained.

A strange crunching noise stopped our conversation. Both of us looked around for the source of the noise. Aewryn drew her sword her eyes darting around. Suddenly a strange creature came around the bend. When it looked up and saw us, it screamed as did I. I hid behind Aewryn who quickly moved to protect me. The strange beast hid behind a tree opposite of us. I peeked around Aewryn only to see it peeking around the tree. Several packages lay in the snow.

I slowly stepped around Aewryn and went to pick up the packages. She followed at my side looking at the thing behind the tree with a frown. It noticed what I was doing and began to come out of its hiding spot. I handed it one of the packages only to notice that it had goat legs and hooves instead of feet.

"Were you afraid of me?" I asked giggling a little.

"N..no," it stuttered, "The one with the sword."

Aewryn gasped and quickly put away her sword.

"I am so sorry. I didn't mean to scare you," she apologized.

"It's alright," he accepted her apology with a small smile.

I stared at him.

"If you don't mind my asking, what are you?" I asked as he began collecting the rest of his packages.

He looked at me in surprise. He then looked at Aewryn who looked just as curious.

"Why I'm a faun, of course," he replied, "What are you? Some kind of beardless dwarf?"

Aewryn laughed. I frowned at her confused as to what was so funny.

"No sir, not at all. We're daughters of Eve," she answered him with a smile.

"And in fact, I'm the tallest in my class," I added picking up the last package and handing it to him.

He took it though he stared at us in pure amazement.

"So you are in fact human?" he asked with wide eyes.

"Yes, of course," I answered a little confused.

Why was he so surprised? Aren't there humans here?

"I'm sorry I seem to have forgotten my manners," the faun declared chuckling, "My name is Mr. Tumnus."

"My name is Lucy Pevensie," I replied holding out my hand for him to shake.

He looked at my hand with a confused expression. Beside me Aewryn laughed stepping forward.

"You're supposed to shake it," she explained.

"Why?" Mr. Tumnus asked with a frown.

I thought for a moment. That was a very good question.

"I don't know," I answered with a frown, "It's what people do when they meet new people."

He seemed to take that answer and reached out and shook my hand. I laughed as he began shaking my hand funnily. Aewryn laughed as well.

"Well this is very interesting," she laughed.

Mr. Tumnus nodded laughing as well.

"Very much so," he agreed.

He finally let go of my hand, "And what is your name?"

"Aewryn," Aewryn answered simply.

"How beautiful!" Mr. Tumnus exclaimed, "Would you girls like to come to tea? It is awfully cold out here."

"We would love to," Aewryn spoke for the both of us.

"Brilliant!" Mr. Tumnus cried with a smile, "This way."

We followed him through the snow to his home. Once inside, Mr. Tumnus lit the fireplace and quickly made the tea. I sat down in a small chair close to the fire and Aewryn sat on the floor beside me.

"There are other chairs if you'd like," Mr. Tumnus offered her but she merely shook her head.

"I'm good where I am, thank you," she answered before turning to me, "Now Lucy, I want to hear about your family. Do you have brothers or sisters? What are they like?"

I smiled thanking Mr. Tumnus as he handed me a pretty tea cup. I took a sip before answering Aewryn's questions. She and Mr. Tumnus excitedly watched me waiting for me to begin.

"Well my oldest brother is Peter," I began and they both leaned in to listen.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

153K 3.9K 21
Eveline has watched over Narnia since the beginning. After the destruction of her home, the departure of her cold-hearted sister, and befriending Asl...
180K 3.8K 18
Hazel and Marcel Hansen have lived with Professor Kirke their whole lives. They knew nothing of their mother and father or what their lives were like...
33.6K 493 19
Izzy had a normal childhood with her closest friends, the Pevensies, but it all changed when her mother died and her father became cold-hearted. He s...
158K 3.4K 22
In Narnia everyone had heard of the prophecy of the two sons of Adam and the two Daughters of Eve they also heard of the forgotten Princess who would...