From Young Man to Viscount: A...

By ShadowUponStorm

Y/N returns to London after 10 years, having to have left the only home she had ever known, including her dea... More

1
2
3
4
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
Announcement!!
17
18
19
20
21
Announcement #2
22

5

3.2K 53 5
By ShadowUponStorm

-The Morning-

After Anthony's visit last night, I was able to get a peace of sleep and slept until I awoke to Josie entering my room. I stretched my arms out as I say, "Morning, Josie. Has Isa and Charlie been awoken yet?"

"Yes, they're getting dressed right now, I just came to deliver this to you," Josie responds as she hands me a folded piece of parchment and exit to either help get breakfast started or do last-minute preparations.

I unfold the parchment to see Anthony's writing and smiled.

"Dear Y/N,

I feel our time together last night started us back on the right path, I would like to continue going down that path. So, if you, Isa, and Charlie have time, it would give me great pleasure if you three could join me and my family for some promenading at a picnic today. I hope to see you there and I hope you're keeping your word about halting on opening the letters."

-Anthony

Of course, he would be a tease, at least he'll be pleased to know that I'm still a great listener.

I fold the letter back up and set it on my desk before I head over to my wardrobe to begin getting ready for the day. I head downstairs to see Isa and Charlie already starting to eat their breakfast as I walked into the dining room.

"How would you two like to join the Bridgertons for a picnic later?" I asked as I take my seat and take a few bites of bread while awaiting their answers.

Both Isa and Charlie nod their heads yes as they still have their mouth full, such respectful manners they showcase.

"Are you going to be okay being within mere inches from Anthony?" Charlie asked as I nodded and respond, "Anthony actually paid me a visit last night."

"And?" Both Charlie and Isa say as they want more information, leaning forward to do so.

I laugh a little and respond, "Don't tell me you've been turning yourselves into little Whistledowns. And he apologized, but you know me, I wasn't going to forgive him that easily. He also knows that too so he's apparently has plans on how he's going to prove that I can forgive him."

After a few minutes of finishing up breakfast, I called for the carriage and then we were off to the picnic. We arrived just in time and after we came to a full stop, I noticed Anthony walking up as the footman opened the door for us.

"Good evening Miss L/N," Anthony says as he holds out his hand for me to take so he can help me out of the carriage.

"Lord Bridgerton, what a nice day this evening brought to us," I reply as I turned to help Isa and Charlie exit out until Anthony says, "I got them."

Anthony helped them out by lifting them up and setting them down, their height a bit too short to reach the stool. After the door is shut and the carriage started moving away, all four of us started our path to the tent where the rest of the Bridgerton family were occupying, Isa and Charlie ahead of us, must be from excitement of seeing Gregory and Hyacinth again.

"Thank you again, I appreciate it," I said as I watch the corners of Anthony's mouth lift into a subtle smile.

"It was really no trouble, so have you been keeping your word?" Anthony asked as he holds out his arm as I nodded my head yes.

"They're still on my desk untouched," I said as I loop my arm into his, "How's the search for Daphne's next suitor?" as I place my hand on his arm.

"Proving to be difficult, although since she has been seen dancing with Hastings, she has many to choose from," Anthony responds as his face shows hesitation from the current pairing in question.

After a few minutes of promenading and talking passed by, we finally arrived to the tent and Violet's eyes lit up at the sight of my arrival.

"Y/N, dear, I didn't know you were coming along," Violet says as I smile and respond, "Anthony has invited me to come, and I couldn't just turn down the request" as I take a seat next to her.

As we continued our chat, I notice Simon and Daphne promenading side by side, seemingly enjoying their conversation. "I really hope they turn the ruse into an actual courtship, they're fit for one another," I thought to myself as I watch. Then I see someone making haste towards the tent, Lord Berbrooke, and he definitely looks terrible.

"Bridgerton!" Nigel shouts as he arrived at the tent, prompting Anthony to turn around as he was standing next to my seat, "I bring cheerful news, Bridgertons. I have taken matters in my own hands and sought a special license for my wedding to Miss Bridgerton."

"There is to be no wedding," Daphne says as Anthony voices his disagreement, "I told you. The arrangement is canceled."

As Violet tries to take the conversation into private ears, bless her heart, Nigel refused and rebutted with, "I require no further conversation. Though, perhaps I am finally speaking to the true head of the Bridgerton house." before turning to Anthony to speak, "For if it were you, I imagine you would have instructed your sister to take better care than to encourage certain attentions while alone with me on the Dark Walk at Vauxhall. Of course, mere hearsay of such a scandal could wreak havoc on even the most influential of families."

I wish Nigel would hush and stop talking.

"What would someone like, say, Lady Whistledown do with such unseemly information?" Nigel mentions as I can feel Anthony becoming angrier by the minute.

"Is that a threat?" Anthony asked as Nigel responds, "It is certainly not. Because in three days, I am to marry. I have the diamond of the season. I have the very best the ton has to offer. I have a Bridgerton. And I shall save her, as well as your entire family, from the ruin which you could not protect them."

Simon suddenly moves as if to almost start something with Nigel again until Benedict stops him from going too far. I look to Anthony, who has the license in his hands, and I could tell he's stressing himself about this situation so I place my hand on top of one of his to show comfort, but he did something I never expected, he took it and was now holding it, which was frowned in society if you weren't to be courted or married to one another.

Nigel flinches as he bids ado with, "I look forward to the union of our great families. Bridgerton. Hastings." and walks away from the tent.

Violet sighs and says, "I believe we should be heading back to the estate. I've had enough of this today, Y/N, I'm sorry to cut this evening short." as I shook my head and reply, "Oh no no, it's totally fine. I'm sure Isa and Charlie had fun either way, it was nice to spend time with you guys again."

I get up from my seat and was about to leave, but then realize that Anthony was still holding my hand. I leaned in to ask, "Are you okay?" as he shook his head.

"Will it be okay if you, Isa, and Charlie tag along back to the estate?" Anthony whispered back as I looked towards them, still having fun. It would be sad to have to interrupt it, so I looked back to Anthony and respond, "Of course it would, they can just ride back with them." as we both started walking to the main carriage, still holding hands. Wonder what or who would be the talk of the ton for today.

After we got into the carriage and started the journey back, Anthony cuts the silence with, "I must issue my challenge to Berbrooke straight away. I've been properly trained in the matter. I know the rules to follow.." before Violet interrupts with, "You are not to duel with Lord Berbrooke. Do you understand me? I do not care what kind of training you think you may have. It is illegal, not to mention positively horrific."

"Gentlemen are left with no other choice, Mother. When a young woman, let alone one's sister, is rumored to be dishonored, the consequences shall be deadly!" Anthony responds as he continues the conversation with Violet and squeezes my hand tighter.

I looked toward Daphne and say, "Are you alright?" as she shook her head slightly.

"I must marry Nigel Berbrooke, it's our only chance," Daphne responds as everyone looks utterly defeated by her answer.

After a few more moments of silence, Daphne leans in and whispers, "Are you courting my brother?" as I shook my head no.

"Not to my knowledge, I simply wanted him to know I was there for him, to show him he wasn't alone. It just happened," I whispered back as Anthony continues staring out the window of the carriage, unbeknownst of our conversation, "but he did use to do this with me when we were younger."

"I wouldn't mind having you as a sister-in-law," Daphne whispers back with a smile on her face as I send a small smile back.

"I haven't exactly forgiven your brother yet if you don't know, but.." I whispered as I think for a few more seconds, "I feel the same way about you and your siblings, though I know he would probably find a better match if he were to enter the next season of society."

"Highly doubt it, you're the perfect match," Daphne whispers as she then leans back in her seat, finishing the conversation.

I lean back to stare out the window until I felt Anthony lean to my ear to whisper, "Can we go talk in the study when we arrive?" I nod my head and whispered back, "Okay."

After we arrived at the estate, Anthony and I headed inside towards the study for a private conversation. Anthony shut the door behind us as we walked in, momentarily letting my hand go to do so.

"First, I would like to formally apologize for breaking society's rule about a gentlemen holding lady's hand. That was wrong of me to but, I just felt myself calming by doing the interaction, so I just simply ignored those rules at the moment," Anthony says as he sighed and put his hands on his hips, "I also formally apologize for what you witnessed today and for what I said about wanting to duel Nigel."

Anthony starts to pace around the study, obviously have been bothered by what happened more than I thought. I try to snap him out of this trance by saying his name multiple times, but to no avail, it didn't work so I walked over and put my hands on his face to make him look directly at me.

"Anthony, you don't have to apologize for every bad thing that has happened in my presence, it's never your fault that they happen. With the hand holding, I was not bothered because you used to do it with me when we were younger, and with Nigel bargaining like a foolish bull to try to blackmail you into thinking you made the wrong decision taking back your promise of an arrangement, that was his fault for being such a sleaze of a man to try to force Daphne into marriage with him and taking advantage of when she was alone," I said as I see Anthony slow his breathing down, calming down from his panic and fear that his family name will be in ruin because of something he thinks he's done.

Anthony then whispered, "Can I rest my head on you? I know I still have to prove that you can forgive me, but for now, I just need to feel you close." as I nod my head and whisper back, "I understand." as he takes my hand in his before we exit the study to head to his bedroom chambers, for privacy from his mother and siblings.

After we entered, I shut the door and lead him towards the bed so we could sit side by side. Anthony sighs as he decided to lie down in a position that allows his head to be situated in my lap, allowing me to run my hand through his soft brown hair. Exactly like what we used to do when we were around the years of teens.

"Are you sure this is okay to do? With us not courting one another and also you being head of the house," I say as I feel Anthony release tension from me by doing something that brings comfort and ease.

Anthony sighs before answering with, "Honestly, I know it's against the norm of society, but with you, I feel I can bend the rules because we were dear friends in our youth, where we used to do things like this. And that was before-" stopping in the middle of the sentence, but I felt he wanted me to finish it.

"Before your father passed away and all the responsibilities came crashing down onto you," I respond as I sigh and say, "I'm sorry."

"What for?" Anthony asked as he gets up from his position with a confused look upon his face.

"For everything, the leaving without having the chance to say goodbye, not thinking to write letters to let you or your family know that we were okay, and-" I answer as I feel tears start to well up in my eyes and fall, "And especially leaving you at a time when you needed me more than ever. What I have done had haunted my every thought since then and I am truly sorry that I put you through all of it."

"Can I ask you a question?" Anthony asked as I nod my head and wiped the tears off my cheeks, "You can ask me anything, I'll try to answer as best I can."

"What was the reasoning behind you and your family leaving the ton? I remember Mother telling me that your parents found better opportunities for the family, but after hearing the gossip, just don't know the correct answer," Anthony says as he looks genuinely curious about what the answer could be.

"Your mother was right about it being better opportunities, but there was another thing that caused us to be gone from London for some time," I respond as I sighed before telling him this next part, "We also left because of my father's affair at the brothels and gambling problems." as Anthony looks at me in shock.

"You're meaning to tell me that your father was almost like Lord Featherington?" Anthony asked as I nodded my head and respond, "His problems were not as worst as Featherington's, he got himself out just in time and he deeply regretted getting swept into all the hassle. I, unfortunately, found that reason out when they were on their death bed."

Anthony then took my hand in his and I laugh to then say, "What is up with you taking my hand lately? Are you planning on courting me Lord Bridgerton?" as I make a joke at him but when I saw his face, I realize that he was in fact possibly serious.

"What if I would like to? Would you be against it?" Anthony asked as I felt my heart do a flip in its cage.

"I-I don't know what to say," I respond as I try to calm my breath from quickening, "I would be honored if you want to court me, but we just reunited after so long and it would make me feel bad if we were to do this for it to seem like I'm stringing you along by not forgiving you right away."

"Oh don't fret about that, I intend to keep my word about proving that I deserve to be forgiven and I don't see it that way. I see it as a way for us to get acclimated with each other in our lives again just like old times, as well as exploring our feelings," Anthony says as he looks at me with a look that shows he was actually serious about what he was asking of.

I sighed as I took time in my thoughts for a few minutes to decide what I should do. Anthony is a dear friend who I've come to fallen in love with since I was a child, but we grew up from that time of our lives and have matured some parts of us.

Oh come on, just give the courtship a try, he's probably been waiting a long time for you to come back to do so. Maybe that's why he hadn't entered the season all those years because he wanted to try something farther with you. Also, his father saw something in you that he thought was a perfect match with his son, why else would he have sent that letter before his passing and when his son would be at marriageable age?!

I look into Anthony's eyes and am brought back to the time when I fell in love with him, but he can't know about it that quickly, it simply takes time.

"Before I give you my answer, there are a few requests I have if we are to go through with this," I said as Anthony nodded to silently say that he understand and to go ahead with the requests, "We still need time to get to know one another in this stage of our lives, that means no quick engagement or wedding as of now. We also still keep our word on our promises, you continue to prove you're worth it and I won't open the letters without your approval. That includes future promises we make."

"And I also give you my word that I will not enter the brothels anymore or go see Siena anymore," Anthony says as I look at him in shock. Wow, look at him taking initiative about his old Bachelor days, I didn't even have to tell him to do so, "Are we allowed to showcase our relationship to our family and the ton?" as I nodded my head yes

"Well, half of the ton and maybe even Whistledown noticed you holding my hand so I think that takes care of that problem," I said as Anthony and I laugh

"Now that we got that out of the way," Anthony responds as he moves my body to be facing him on the bed before he formally says, "Miss Y/N L/N, it would do me great pleasure to ask for your hand in courtship. If you're wondering if I have permission to do so, I sent a letter to Charlie and Isa asking for it, to which they replied yes."

"Y-you really asked them?" I asked as Anthony nodded his head, "That's very sweet, in that case, my answer to you Mr. Anthony Bridgerton, is yes. I accept your request of courtship." as I smiled at him and for him to smile back at me.

Anthony then pulls me into his arms and gives me a hug as I'm laying in his lap. I look up to him and ask, "How does it feel to finally be protected from the mothers flaunting their daughters onto you?"

"I don't care about all that, all I care is that you know how you deserve to be loved and treated. About the letters, which one is first?" Anthony responds as I think back to the date that was listed on the envelope.

"The day after your father's service and the first day since I left," I say as he sighed at the memory of writing it.

"You can open that one and read it, though I must warn you, it probably was heart-wrenching," Anthony responds as I put my hand on the side of his face and say, "I'll try my best to stay strong for you. Also, another topic to be discussed."

"And what is that dear?" Anthony asked as he looks curious. Already calling me dear, great choice of words.

"First, never call me dear again, it makes me feel old. Second, are you planning on shaving those mutton chops? They make you look strange and older than you actually are," I respond as he debates it and pets his sideburns before saying, "Maybe I'll grow them out longer."

"Don't you dare!" I shout as he laughs out loud and responds, "I'm joking, darling, I'll shave them off after this season. They have been itchy lately and would do me good to look young next to the lady I'm courting for the next one." with a smile on his face.

"No need for gossip from the ton about our appearances, it would give Lady Whistledown the gold mine of drama," I said as he nods his head in agreement and sighed.

"Do you think there are no more solutions to how we're going to have to deal with Nigel's threat?" Anthony asked as I think for a few minutes.

"I'm sure your mother and sister can figure this one out, they are intelligent ladies after all. I'll probably help them out, if you'll allow me to," I respond as Anthony smiles and said, "Think they'll appreciate your help and input so much, I know it so."

Afterward, we just sat in each other's arms in silence, lost in our thoughts. I know he's trying to figure out how he's going to manage to allow his mother take over the rein of protecting Daphne's image or simply figure it out himself while I am trying to decide the way to go about helping out everyone in the family that belongs to the man I am glad to be courting after years of being in a friendship.

The question is, will this courtship last long enough to maybe become our future or is it going to unleash many unanswered questions that may not have answers?

I already have the answer, neither since it has yet to be discovered, but I know I have the right person by my side to help me piece the clues together to solve the big mystery.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.2K 149 12
𝓕𝓸𝓻𝓰𝓸𝓽𝓽𝓮𝓷 𝓓𝓮𝓼𝓲𝓻𝓮𝓼 𓆩♡𓆪 Best friends since they barely learned to walk, Anthony and Ayera had never imagined a life lacking another...
52.8K 3.3K 13
-𝐅𝐋𝐎𝐖𝐄𝐑 𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐄𝐒 ᵉᵈʷⁱⁿᵃ ˢʰᵃʳᵐᵃ '𝙏𝙝𝙚𝙮 𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙨𝙪𝙘𝙝 𝙗𝙚�...
68.3K 1.5K 17
Wilting || Colin Bridgerton Last season was hard enough for Magnolia Hayward after her father passed, leaving her and her siblings orphaned, just be...
782K 17.8K 46
∾✧。MORE ۵∾ ❛AND ALL THE THINGS THAT WE DREAM ABOUT THEY DON'T MEAN WHAT THEY DID BEFORE I JUST WANNA GET BACK TO US CAUSE WE USED...