11

"Ow, you're stepping on my foot," Gregory complained as he and Eloise are practicing one of the many dances that is to be learned by the ladies of high society while Francesca is on the pianoforte.

I cover up a laugh with a cough as Anthony looks at me curious to what's going on before I lean to whisper, "Eloise keeps misstepping and landing on Gregory's foot." Anthony softly chuckles before wrapping an arm around my shoulder and squeezing it before averting his eyes back to his book he's currently reading.

"Y/N, did you have to learn this for your entrance?" I hear Hyacinth ask as I shook my head no.

"Of course I had the lessons, but it wasn't merely for my entrance. Simply education wise, I know it will help Isa for when she reaches the marriageable age if she wants to make an entrance, entirely her decision," I said as Eloise scoffs and responds, "Wish I had that option."

"You have to dear, it would be a bad look upon the family, and Whistledown would surely write about it," Violet says from her spot on the sofa as she focuses on her needlework, "If she's still lurking about."

Whistledown hasn't released any issues of late, must be because the last season is over and there is no drama or gossip brewing about the ton. Good, she deserves that break after continuously giving us the information.

"Mama, can I and Gregory please take a break? We've been at this for hours," Eloise asks as Violet mutters, "Oh, very well, go ahead."

After Eloise sticks her nose back in a book and Gregory joins Hyacinth, Isa, and Charlie in a game, I lean close to Anthony and whispered, "Any updates from the Hastings side of things?" Anthony shook his head as I nod in understanding, Daphne and Simon have been keeping themselves busy enough to not write or update the family on any endeavors.

"Colin's been writing to us though about his travels so at least he's updating," Anthony whispers back as he closes the book to focus his attention onto me.

"That's good, I guess," I say as I rub my hand up and down his arm to ask, "How are you feeling about Eloise's debut being only a few months away?"

Anthony sighs and responds softly, "If you ask me, I believe she won't be successful this season. You know her, she prefers to be free to educate herself instead shackled to a man who simply can't meet or understand her desires and needs." I look towards Eloise in concern, he's right. It's rare to find a man who can either match up Eloise's carefree nature or support it in any way possible.

"But it doesn't mean this season for our family will end up a failure, we still have time to decide if we should solidify our future together this year," Anthony says as he took a hand in mine and rubbed his thumb across my knuckles as I softly smile and rest my head onto his shoulder before he rest his head on mine.

"That's true, I-," I start to respond before I hear Eloise interrupt with, "I say Anthony and Y/N get married before my introduction to the queen so they'll be the talk of the ton."

"Eloise, that's not how it works," Isa says as Eloise looks to her and asks, "Yeah? How does it work little L/N?" before closing her book and leans forward.

"Azalea and Jameson," Isa responds as she looks to me to explain farther.

"When Azalea entered society, the first man she ever laid eyes on was Jameson, son of an Earl who firmly believed his children were to wait a period of time before they could get married. So, once they started courting, they had to wait until the end of the season to get engaged or married. At the end of the season, Jameson pulled me and my parents aside to ask for Azalea's hand, we of course said yes, then the wedding commenced in the summer. Only for Jameson to have passed away in an accident after they've been trying to have a baby, leaving my sister a widow who then found out she was pregnant with Iris months later. You know the rest of the story," I say as I feel Anthony squeeze my shoulder comfortingly.