A Silent Hope

By _Elle_James_

After being left on the doorsteps of an orphanage at age four, Thalia Davis spends most of her life there. Th... More

Alone
Heartbreak
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Epilogue

Chapter One

28.1K 1.3K 340
By _Elle_James_

Mackenzie

I finished my last set of shoulder presses and placed the two 20 pounds of dumbbells back on the rack. I stretched my arms as I looked around the other people working out at the gym. I'd been here for two hours and went nonstop with my workouts.

Feeling my body's exhaustion, I grabbed my bag and headed for the changing rooms. I noticed the rooms were unisex and both males and females were entering and exiting. There were four small stalls, each with a shower and space to change. Once in an empty stall, I took off my clothes.

I quickly showered, avoiding getting my hair wet. I would have to go to the hairdresser soon to have my twists redone. Stepping out of the shower, I dried and fished for my clothes. Paul and I were headed to the bar tonight, something about him needing to get black out drunk.

I felt my boxers slap to my skin after I pulled it on, my black jeans followed. I took out my white t-shirt and threw it on after my sports bra, rolling the ends of the shirt sleeves three times. I smiled a bit at the way it fitted snugly to my arms. I didn't work out to gain a bunch of muscles, my body still held its femininity but I was also pretty ripped.

My outfit made sure the tattoo in my left upper arm showed. The sparrow reminded me of my past and how far I'd come. I took my hair down and put a coat of chapstick on my pinkish lips. I stared at my reflection, Caribbean blue eyes staring back.

I often wondered what people saw when they looked at me. In my uniform I was a firefighter. To my parents, I was simply their daughter they loved and were proud of. My siblings liked me as any other siblings would. Some days we didn't like each other at all.

Paul was the only one welcoming in my past month in this town. Most people weren't too keen on befriending the new girl and some looked at me as though I was from another planet. The guys at the station were civilized enough, but they tend to think of a woman as beneath them. Erica was the only other woman, but she stuck to herself.

I grabbed my stuff after putting on my boots and headed out with my helmet under my arm. Walking towards the front door, I saw a woman drop her water bottle and it rolled in my direction. I bent and picked it up, giving it back to her with a smile.

"Thank you." She gave a blinding smile.

"No problem, miss." I smirked and continued on my way, waving at the receptionist.

The sun had already set when I got outside. Putting my bag on my back, I drove to the local bar. I spotted Paul's car right away and parked next to him. I knew he never locked his doors so I opened the back door and put my helmet and bag in there. The guy always said the town was too 'good' for anything bad to happen. I did live only a few minutes from here, but I had no interest in running up three flights of stairs.

The loud music greeted me first, the smell of alcohol next. The bar was already full at 7pm, the few tables full and the dance floor occupied. My eyes flittted across the crowd, managing to see over some heads. It was a simple bar. Tables, chairs, dimmed lights and music. A few waitresses were serving and a couple of bartenders were behind the counter.

"Jace! Over here, buddy!" A familiar voice yelled over the noise.

My eyes found him in seconds, a small  group of people with him. Paul was outgoing, he could befriend anyone he wanted and looks like that was what he did. I walked over to the group with a smile.

"You got started without me." I teased.

His face dropped slightly. "Sorry. I found friends for us though." He perked up again. "Guys, this is my best friend in the whole wide world. Mackenzie Jace. Jace, this is Larry, Brian, Vivian and Blue."

Larry was a middle aged father of three who snuck out for a breather. His brunette hair was slick back and I could see a balding spot on top of his head. Brian, was in his twenties and taught soccer at the high school. His muscular build, charming smile and blue eyes told me all I needed to know. Not because of his appearance, but by the way he looked at me.

Not happening dude.

Vivian and Blue, who got his name. from his light blue hair, were engaged to be married. They already had a kid and had been together for years. Vivian was loud and wild, different from the silent tattooed man beside her. She drank freely while he sipped on a coke, a protection aura radiating off of him.

I knew the protectiveness, I had it too with people I cared for. Just like that, Bella came to mind. She was always opinionated and loud, she'd argue about everything she could to anyone. She didn't have to worry about much, I was always beside her just waiting to see if she needed me. I had to either pull her away or step in if a fight ever broke out. But we were kids then, she grew up to be a beautiful soul.

I ordered us a round of whatever they were drinking and Brian placed another order right after. I had a high tolerance for alcohol but I didn't have any intention of getting wasted tonight.

Larry and I fell into conversation while Vivian dragged Blue to dance. Paul was busy talking Brian's ear off, but I realised the man wasn't paying attention. His eyes were busy checking out every female that walked by.

Someone brought our next rounds and the familiarity caught my attention. It was the same woman I almost knocked over. She didn't just catch my eyes, but Brian's as well.

"You're the girl from the gym." He talked over the music.

I saw her paused while placing down his beer before going on. "Excuse me?"

"The girl. From the gym. You asked me if I wanted a membership." He smiled, his words starting to slur a bit.

Her head slowly nodded, short wavy hair slightly moving with the motion. "I guess I am. Will that be all?" She glanced around our table, eyes floating but not stopping at anyone.

Larry answered for us. "Next rounds in ten minutes."

"With one less." I butted in, gaining her attention. "No more for me. Thanks."

"Got it." She answered and walked off.

"Man, that is a sexy woman. What I wouldn't do to have her in my bed." Brian's eyes followed the woman.

I shook my head and emptied my beer. I got up and walked over to the counter where I saw her go, having the urge to apologize again for yesterday. I sat on a vacant bar stool and waited when I saw her attending to some customers.

Not wanting to be a creep, I pulled out my phone and checked my messages. I had one from my Mom and another one from my older brother. I replied to my Mom, letting her know that I was okay then answered my brother's about checking in on our younger sister.

"What can I get you?"

My head snapped up when I heard the question. "Um," I quickly looked behind her for whatever reason. "Do you have mountain dew?"

"We do." The woman tucked her fallen hair behind her ear as she went to retrieve my drink.

I scanned the crowd while I waited, laughing to myself when I saw Blue just staring at Vivian as she danced. Her moves were uncoordinated and off, but that didn't stop her. I'd just met these people and they seemed a lot more welcoming than most.

A drink was placed in front of me and I looked at it, trailing my eyes up the arm that put the glass there. "Thank you. And also, I'm sorry." I quickly added when she moved to leave.

"Excuse me?" She paused and stared right into my eyes. She definitely was not shy, but rather very confident and self assured.

"About yesterday." I clarified while taking a straw from the container next to me.

She jutted out her bottom lip slightly, not a pout but a confused look, as she shook her head. "I don't follow."

I gripped my glass tighter. "I ran into you and almost knocked you over. On the sidewalk. Outside the gym." I forced a laugh, feeling oddly nervous.

"Oh, that was you. You already apologised. It's fine. No harm done. I gotta get back to work. Enjoy your," she lowered her eyes to my glass. "Mountain dew." A tap to the bar counter with her palm and she left me to myself.

Okayyy.

The rest of the night consisted of having a conversation with Larry. Well, I listened to the man vent a little, thinking he probably needed a listening ear. I learnt that his two teenage kids were in high school. His son, Henry was fifteen and had been lashing out lately. His daughter Lydia, sixteen, just got her first boyfriend so that was another hell for him. His youngest, Thea was only seven, thankfully no problems there.

I gently patted his back when he spoke of the troubles in his marriage recently. I often found myself feeling other people's hurt. I wasn't always strongly empathetic, but I did know to show sympathy towards them. But I sure could feel the hurt of a man while he tried to hold back tears.

I rubbed at my chest before giving him a half hug. I knew the man was drunk and I knew he'd probably be embarrassed if he remembered tomorrow. I hoped for his sake, he didn't remember and he had nothing to worry about regarding me spilling any information.

When we decided to leave, I took Paul's keys and locked the car after taking out my things. I made Paul get into a taxi instead of driving, Larry had left in another a couple of minutes before. I noticed Brian leaving with a blonde woman and Blue drove him and Vivian home.

Straddling my bike, I held my helmet in my hands as I looked at the bar. I didn't know why I kept looking. I couldn't remember the last time I felt anything for myself. I just wanted to feel something. Anything.

With a shake of my head, I left.

-E

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

114K 5.1K 24
Harper Jace wants to leave NYC to find a fresh start for herself. Away from her best friend, everything that she knows, but most importantly, away fr...
3K 79 21
" I just feel so selfish..." I say as I cry, looking down. I feel two sets of arms wrapping around me, giving me warmth and love. "That's okay." "...
449K 17.6K 66
• Rhea just finished her first year of college, but with a strained relationship with her parents... she has no home to come back to during summer br...
1M 45.6K 29
At the ripe age of twenty-seven, Nokomis Reed's love life has come to a screeching halt -- which is why when her mother nominates her to be a contest...