The Broken Werewolves: The Al...

By OralKel

For entire life, Leon Adler has already known who his mate is and he goes by the name Ethan Kennedy. For some... More

Author's Note
Story Update
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17

Chapter 18

5.6K 205 26
By OralKel

LEON ADLER

For the past weeks, Ethan has his eyes on Edward. There's joy in his eyes as he watches the little kid go running around with his friends. It brings him extreme happiness to know that the kid is safe here with us, and that the Smiths are taking care of him.

I hired an investigation team, a group of werewolves that have the ability to track occurrences, to find out what happened with Edward's parents and how he ended up here. It took a lot of time because I had to find his file from my dad's unorganized shelf so I could read more information about him. Unfortunately, there isn't much.

He was a rogue. He was found by Dalton, a pack warrior, roaming around the area with a rugged look and a busted lip. He was barefooted and his skins were full of dirt. Dalton tried to get some information about him, but the kid was completely terrified and wasn't speaking, so he alerted dad about it. Edward was brought to him and Dad tried to get some details that would reveal what really happened. But to no avail, Edward didn't really share any details, so dad ended up tagging his form as incomplete. Therefore, making him an unofficial resident of the pack but within its protection rule.

Later that night, after reading his file, I went to dad and discussed it with him, telling him about Ethan's newfound interest on the kid. Dad referred me to the investigation team and gave me the job to find out Edward's background, and the best chance I have is to hire those elite trackers.

Ethan doesn't know about it yet but he knows I've been doing something behind his back. He hasn't really confronted me about it but I assume that he's waiting for me to tell him. And I will. Later.

I talk to the Smiths regarding Edward's behavior or if there's anything unusual, or if he's having nightmares, but they only tell me that he's been a pretty quiet kid. His favorites are sweet candies, especially Skittles, but he doesn't like Caramel-flavored cake. He doesn't have a strong appetite and would eat less for steaks. The Smiths also tell me that they would usually wait for them to be done before he eats, and that he's extremely shy when he gets asked what he likes to eat or if he is asked to join them.

And then it clicks.

I excuse myself from the Smiths and head over to the small library attached to the Elders' Chamber. This is where documents, histories, and lores and stories about mythical beings are kept.

The library just has six seventh-story shelves, and they are lined up of the wall in the far corner. The center is filled with empty chairs and tables, and you can clearly see the dust, evident that the place hasn't been touched or visited in a long time. Light spills through the open windows, brightening up the room. In the far left corner, on the first shelf, the spines of the books have crack on them, and I can't almost make out the titles of the books, but I know they are about the history of the mythical beings; some are about the Goddess.

My fingertips hover the titles until I find the right one: Werewolves: The Traditional Lifestyle. The pages are crisps, and just like the other books, there are yellow patches on the pages, another evidence that this book has been long pushed the corner and has not been read for a very long time.

The book smells like wood, and you can practically smell how ancient it is. My fingers grip the spine, tracing the side and admiring the thickness of the book. I slowly open the book and check the table of contents, my index finger hovering over the chapters before I find what I'm looking for, on page 324: The Hierarchy of Wolves and their Roles.

I read the first part of the book but skip some phrases later on. Then I skip a page and another page and another page until my eyes catch the funnel describing the wolves' rank. Alpha, Beta, Omega.

My eyes linger a bit on Omega.

I know what Omegas are but haven't got much idea about it. All I know is that they are the lowest rank in the pack. Since the new age (and as the world progressed), Omega title has been diminished as it doesn't abide with the current werewolf laws. And as far as I know, two previous Great Alpha before the current Great Alpha had implemented that rule on the pack and everybody followed suit.

Jesters. Weakest members. The runt. They are often bullied by the stronger members of the pack above them. Omega has no authority or dominance and is submissive all the time. They are mostly considered as slaves.

The Omegas are to eat last. They wander off alone. They do not mingle with the high ranking and the rest of the packs as they hunt, as Omegas are considered the lowest members.

However, Omegas play an important role in the wolf society. In the older tradition, rest of the pack (including the Alpha and Beta) will usually put their attention on the Omegas if they have internal conflicts with the other wolves. This is called stress-relieving.

I shut the book down and take a deep breath.

This thing is still happening? What the fuck? Edward must have run off, unable to take being the jester of his fucking pack. Well, it was right that he ran off and became part of our pack. I put the book back to its place and head off to find my mate to tell him everything I know.

This is fucking insane.

I can't imagine Edward going through rough experiences just because he is an Omega. He is just a kid. I know I did not see that he was physically hurt, but it's evident that he was when he was found by the pack warrior.

Ethan is speaking with the Elders when I found him. He's wearing a fit black shirt, highlighting the muscles he has on his biceps. My mate shines brighter as I take each step towards him. And it's like one of those slow-motion scenes in movies where the main characters just found the love of their life, at first sight.

The sun hits his face, illuminating him, making his eyes stand out. Blue, brown, green. They reflect all at once as I watch them. He blinks and sniffs, then he turns my way, and a small smile plays tugs on his lips. A smile that I very well know by now.

A smile that's only meant for me.

The Elders give me a nod before they turn on their heels. When my mate is within reach, I wrap my arms around him, resting my face in the crook of his neck, inhaling the melon scent that clings on his skin. Two days ago, he purchased some bathroom stuff and told me he wanted to try a few products. He said he wanted to smell fresh as always, and that melon would have the ability to do that. It's perfect for him.

My mate has his hand on my back, gently rubbing it. The slight breeze of air brushes past us, and I slightly shiver. Ethan pulls his hand back and raises it, then puts his fingers through my hair, gently fumbling it. I let out a low moan, enjoying the gentle tips of his finger, relaxing my scalp, sending electricity down my spine.

Recently I discovered the Ethan has the power to make me calm when I'm stressed out. I already told him that what my dad's plans are, and those plans involve running the pack beside him. It's a lot of pressure, and I talk to Ethan about it. He just listens while he plays with my hair. I rant but then I relax, and it's not because I'm venting out but because of him. He's there, beside me.

Edward temporarily slips out of my mind as Ethan continues to comb my hair with his fingers. We're outside. We're getting a few looks, but those looks are of happiness.

I never knew that I would find such comfort in my life, and I'm glad that I get to experience it.

He pulls back and cups my cheeks, leaning forward to plant his lips on mine, which I happily accept and welcome. His lips never fail to amaze me. They dance with mine with precision, with passion and with grace. He rests his arms around my neck, pulling me closer. I put my hands on his waist.

His kisses make me want to forget the world. He erases my worries and brings calm to my storming mind. He's a light that I would like to hold forever in my hand. A beacon of hope. My mate. My love.

I pull back, breathless, and say, "I did not come here to make out, but it's a bonus."

"No, you didn't." He laughs. He grabs my hand and holds it, gently swaying. Another hit of air brushes past us, and his hair sways to the side, messing it up a little. I chuckle, fixing it. "Mind telling me what's your secret?"

"I think it's not a secret anymore that I've fallen in love with my mate," I reply then click my tongue. He chuckles. "Or that I was a jerk before. I mean, a few only knew I was an asshole." Then he laughs. Hard.

"Yeah, you were an asshole."

"I know,"

"So what is it? Really?"

I take a deep breath, reality kicking me once again. There's a small pain in my chest, like small needles puncturing my ribcage where my heart is held. I purse my lips and shut my eyes for a moment, letting his presence calm me down. I know he's going to be hurt once I tell him about what I found out about Edward.

"Is it that bad?" he asks. Ethan gives my hand a slight squeeze. Is it that bad? Maybe. But nonetheless, it's still bad. Bad news. I nod, unsure. "Tell me, please?" I nod again.

"I hired an elite team of trackers to find out Edward's history," I begin. My mate sucks in a breath before releasing them a minute later. He bites his lower lip, and for a moment, I get distracted, but when I see the worried look in his eyes, it all clicks back to me. "They haven't gone back to me yet. Haven't received updates yet. But I talked to the Smiths about Ethan and found out that Edward has... I believe he was... he was part of a traditional pack."

"Traditional pack?"

"Traditional pack. They follow the old ways." I explain. Ethan looks very confused. His brows are furrowed. "They follow hierarchy seriously. Unlike most of the pack, like us, they don't have equality. For us, the Alpha and Beta are in charge, and the rest are equal. But even the Alpha and Beta consider themselves as equal to their members. They only lead. We only lead and guide them. But for the traditional packs, hierarchy matters."

"So Ethan is –was– part of this pack? Has he been hurt?"

"In a way, yes." Ethan sucks in a breath again, hurt flashing in his eyes. "Alpha, Beta, Omega. Edward is an Omega. Made to be a jester. At such a young age, I believe that he has gone through a lot. He was being hurt. Normally, Omegas receive... punishment. Even when they didn't do anything. If there's a conflict with the pack members, the members usually lash out at Omegas. And in the hierarchy, Omegas are supposed to follow and allow it."

"That's fucking bullshit," he groans. "Why? Why is that still a thing?"

"I know it's bad,"

"He's just a kid!" I pull him into a hug. He rests his head on my chest. "He shouldn't have experienced that. That explains everything then..."

"What do you mean that explains everything?"

"I've observed him for a while, and I picked up a few things from him," he mutters, sniffing a bit. I tighten my hold on him. "Whenever he plays with his friends, he's always the last. He allows himself to get hit with a ball, and even though his friends would say sorry, he would just brush it off and say that it's all right. When his friends' moms bring food, Edward would be the last one to pick, and he would usually disassociate himself and eat alone."

"That's awful,"

"It's sad, Leon. I thought he was just shy but it turns out that... that he's probably traumatized. A kid. He's just a kid and already traumatized. Who does that to a pup? To a child? And his parents? What about his parents?"

"I'm not sure, but likely, his parents may be Omega as well." I say. "Omegas are determined as they grow older, around 10 years old. But I guess it resurfaced early."

"It hurts to imagine that he hasn't been loved properly,"

"I know, love." I step back and cup his cheeks. I stare deeply into his eyes, letting him know that I'm serious. I'm serious at keeping him safe, and that I'm serious at making him feel as equal as the rest of us. "Here's what we're going to do. We're going to make Edward feel that he belongs here. In this place. With us. We're going to make him feel that he deserves all the love and not the hurt he has received. We will make sure that no one will ever lay a finger on him. We will protect him, all right.

"If they come looking for him, they will have to get past us. He belongs in this pack. Officially. And no one's going to take Edward away from here. Away from his true home. Away from you. You've got connections with him, and I want that connection with him, too, so we're going to make this work, okay? I'm going to discuss this with dad and the Smiths so we can take him in. In our home."

Tears pool in my mate's eyes, and they come rushing down as he hugs me. I laugh, happiness spilling off as he showers me with kisses. I brush the tears staining his cheeks and press my mouth on his, gently, savoring the taste of him.

I open my eyes, and the sun continues to shine his way, and he looks melancholic. Like an angel. His eyes become a hue of many colors before they glow blue, momentarily, and they return back to its original color. He's happy. I'm happy.

The next day, I call in a meeting with dad and the Smiths. I have heard last night from the elite trackers I hired that indeed, Edward belonged to a pack hundred miles away from us, which means that Edward had been travelling for a long time and had escaped successfully. I share them the news about Edward being an Omega, and my dad lets out a feral growl when he hears how he was treated.

Meanwhile, my mate keeps Edward company.

I share them my plans to take Edward in. My dad looks at me in the eyes and mind-links me: are you sure about this? If you take this child, he'll be your responsibility. Yours and Ethan's. Are you ready to be parents?

I'm just 18 years old and here I am, deciding to adopt a kid I barely even know, that I just met. But truthfully, none of that matters. I smile, knowing that Edward and I are already connected. Because if we weren't, I wouldn't feel this strong urge to protect him. Maybe it was because of my mate. But I don't really give a damn if this is because of Ethan.

Edward's place is here. He's home.

When the meeting ends (and it took about 2 hours, and I was so tired of sitting my ass off in the wooden chair), I immediately share the news to my mate, who is so happy that he gives me a bone-crushing hug. He presses his mouth on me and thanks me, and butterflies flutter in my stomach.

He stretches out his hand to grab mine, and we look for Ethan. We find him perched on a small tree, staring at the sun, his lips in a thin line but his expression is calm. He's wearing a yellow tee with a cartoonish kangaroo imprinted on it. He's barefooted.

Ethan says hi. Startled, Edward says hi back meekly. And we talk. We talk and talk until he's comfortable enough to share little details about his day and about yesterday. And then we ask him about he feels about the pack, and if he'd like to stay with us forever. Safe and sound. Edward thinks about it for a moment and says: I'd love that in a cute, small voice.

That night, stars are sprawled beautifully across the night sky –a hue of violet, dotted with stars and patched with moving clouds. Ethan and I are at the top of his old home where he used to live alone, sprawled out, bare-chested, holding hands.

It's midnight and the place is quiet except for the music of the wind and the trees. The moon shines brightly than ever, illuminating the whole town. Ethan turns to his side to look at me but never lets go of my hand. He pushes himself closer and our eyes meet.

This is our moment.

This is us. And no one's going to take us away from each other.

Ethan is my beginning, my continuation, and my ending. He's embedded in my heart and soul now and forever. I look down and find the string that connects our souls. They are bright red, a bit transparent. I'm sure he sees it too because he checks it out.

Then it wraps around us, pulling us closer and closer until there's no more gap between us. It will always be us, and we are always going to be connected. In the past life, in the present life, and in the future life. Our souls are bounded to each other. And it's beautiful. In this life, and in our different lives, we will be together.

It's the Goddess' work.

But it's us that made this happen.

Now, our love for each other is so strong that it will transcend to different lifetimes. Because we are meant to be. In the past, in the present, and in the future. As always and as it should.

THE END

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 56 12
Ethan Connor is a werewolf omega college student trying to get his degree and better his life. However, it would seem the world had bigger plans for...
193K 6.8K 15
[NOTICE BEFORE READING] This story is currently being remade. I will not be posting any more chapters in this story but I may post any notices that c...
246K 7.9K 40
Alexi is your average high school junior. He gets good enough grades, he has an amazing best friend, and his family is super caring. But, there is a...
3.8M 159K 42
Book One in Mate Trilogy Sorenson was adopted at a young age, into a family that was abusive. His 'parents' would adopt more and more children and du...