His flawless motives (CotE)

By kisushle

The reowned Advance Nuturing High School. Where it dawned on her that lacking grit, determination, hard work... More

unnerving troubles (chapter 1)
development (chapter 2)
who is she? (chapter 3)
advancement (chapter 4)
wake-up call (chapter 5)
your reflection is who i like (chapter 6)
-test subjects of anhs- feeling overwhelmed (chapter 7 pt1)
-test subjects of anhs- (plans chapter 7 pt2)
-test subjects of anhs- let the competition begin! (chapter 7 pt3)
friend or foe? (chapter 8 story teaser)
friend or foe? you choose. (part 1)
friends, the ayanokouji group. (chapter 8 part 2)
geneiuses (chapter 9)
what exactly is behind her mask? (The ADCB Chapters, pt1)
teacher dispute (The ADCB Chapters, pt 2)
ice king's internal conflict. (the ADCB Chapters pt 3)

fallout (chapter 2.5)

2.9K 89 13
By kisushle

(Ayanokoji's perspective)

It appeared that it was still lunch-hour. 

Students still remained seated as they feasted on their meals, with more students emerging every few minutes. 

Pallet was as lively as every other day. 

Majority of the students appeared to be seniors in the cafe. 

It seemed that they were bracing themselves for an upcoming major exam, as they occupied the cafe to study whilst chattering.

Horikita was staring into my soul, as the both of us were silent in the midst of trying to spark a conversation.

¨Horikita, do you have any interests?¨ I asked. 

Driven by shock, Horikita snapped back from spacing out. 

¨Ah, um..¨ Horikita pondered. 

¨Sorry, did I startle you?¨

¨Actually, I have never explored activities which may be of my interest so,¨

 Horikita paused. 

¨Unless, it's baking.. honestly, it is what I do whenever I feel the need to satisfy my cravings. 

That was also why I offered to accompany me here as well as to Keyaki mall.

 I don't really classify it as a hobby though, since I only bake occasionally. ¨ 

Horikita noticed my baffled expression,

¨Not what you were expecting, am I right?¨ 

¨Well, to make this short and simple, you just didn't seem the type of person who would be interested in baking, but do you mind if I try some of your pastries? 

Feel free to use me as your taste tester, but I'll refuse if it's burnt or contains foreign and strange ingredients.¨ 

I wondered how baking first crossed her mind. 

The thought of her making desserts is intriguing, so I offered to be her taste tester. 

She could even possess the potential to set up a legible business to share or deliver her own inventions and recipes. 

But I doubt she would accept that, unless she feels eager to devote herself to it. 

¨Sure?¨ 

Horikita sounded uncertain, but if I'm not mistaken, I saw her lips curl up into a slight grin. 

Does baking mean that much to her?

Just then, her actions implied a 180 degree turn on her mood. 

Her eyes widened in alarm, as she began darting her sight to every direction, as if she was wary of someone. 

¨Horikita? Oh-¨ 

She glared at me in a serious manner, as if telling me to keep my mouth shut. 

She must have urged me to keep silent as eavesdroppers might not be out of ear shot. 

But why? 

Confidential information was not mentioned in our conversation at all. 

Plus, who would think that we would host a private meeting in a student populated public area? 

Unless..

There are two options, one wa- 

-

Before I could finish analysing the situation, Horikita tugged onto my arm and abruptly pulled me forward across the dining table.

¨æ-¨

Our heads were ridiculously close, and she whispered into my ear, 

¨Ayanokoji-kun, just ac- act along with me for the time being okay?" 

"You must be wondering why, but this is urgent. I'll tell you later.¨

in an agitated tone. 

The following events which happened afterwards left me at a loss. 

All I could do was assist her in agreeing, if that's all it meant to keep her out of trouble.

-
(Horikita's perspective)

I cursed repeatedly in my mind. I'm so careless.

I should not have gone outdoors and invited Ayanokoji-kun as well. 

This would lead to much more suspicion that Ayanokoji is the mastermind behind the scenes if I continued to hang around him. 

His reputation was in my care and it depended on me whether I could tackle this off. 

I did not want to be at fault to be the main reason why his peaceful life was in jeopardy. 

I could use our position as a valuable asset in making them believe misleading information. 

For that to happen, I had to stir up a convincing conversation.

However, this was risky. 

It is also possible that the eavesdropper has spotted that we've been putting up an act.

 Thankfully, I have not made much movement when I came to realize the threat. 

¨Ayanokoji-kun, I know this may be sudden, but congratulations on getting 64 as your aggregate score." 

"Well, although you might have improved significantly by ten points, I'd like you to remain persistent in improving."

" So, I'll cut straight to the point. Can we agree to hold study sessions in your room? I'll also be inviting a few other guys in our class if you do not mind.¨

The both of us returned to our seats.

¨Sure. But who else will you be inviting?¨ he asked. 

¨Well, I'll have to ask them first if they agree, so that question is on hold.¨ I responded. 

¨Here you go,¨ a waitress served our food as she greeted us with a smile. 

Afterwards, I fed myself with a spoonful of raspberry flavoured pancakes. 

It looked sort of raw, but it was probably the kitchen crew's mistake. 

I guess I'll let it slide. 

Upon doing so, I received a strange reaction from Ayanokoji. 

¨Horikita- ne.. nevermind,¨he slightly raised his hand but lowered almost immediately. 

¨Ayanokoji?¨ I gave him a perplexed expression. 

What made me more concerned was that he was neither moving an inch nor laid his hands on his utensils yet. 

He was fixated on his phone.

As I finished my course, I gestured that we should keep moving. 

He nodded, but no matter how expressionless he seemed, I could sense tension from him.

Once we exited Pallet, he let out a sigh. 

¨Can we discuss this in a deserted area? I have some questions for you.¨

... have I miscalculated?...

I followed him into a spot where there were no surveillance cameras nearby.

¨First of all, do you feel nauseous?"

" I mean, It may not take effect immediately, but I would just like to confirm.¨ 

Huh?

 Ayanokoji suspects that I had consumed poison whatever I've eaten? 

How absurd that may seem, there is a high chance I may fall sick, coming from him. 

I began to feel uneasy. 

¨No.. Why are you asking about my wellbeing?¨

¨Tell me your situation first. That way I'll be able to confirm if my interpretations are right. Please fire away.¨

I gulped. 

¨Okay..¨ 

I trusted him.

¨A few days ago, I have received lots of threats via email from anonymous people who seem to be in the same league.¨ 

I showed him the emails which contained very menacing threats. 

One of which mentioned, 

¨I'll be following you wherever you go.¨

¨Horikita,¨ Ayanokoji-kun began.

¨Have you updated your device's security settings?¨

...

¨It never occurred to me that I had to update my phone's security occasionally.¨ I said.

¨Do you realise how crucial it is to keep in check? But however..¨ 

 ¨Ayanokoji-kun, wait... it'll automatically update itself. It's automated in my case,¨ I informed him. 

¨If I'm not wrong, your phone has been installed with android software.. Are you updated about the news?¨ he asked. ¨Not that I check my notifications regularly. What about it?¨

It all felt off.

¨The latest news issue reports that there are security issues upon updating to the recent android software. Prior to that, there was one message which mentioned about tailing you, right?¨

¨Yes¨

¨Your device is vulnerable from being hacked since you've updated to the current version."

"The people you've identified as eavesdroppers or anybody who are working to track you down has obtained your personal information and location successfully without your awareness.¨

Now, I understood. 

I stiffened, as I went to look at my s-points balance. 

It still remained the same. 

An overwhelming surge of relief settled in. 

Thank god the school's security is as tight as ever. 

¨From then on, they have been monitoring you closely, but you've not been going out often, am I right?¨

Ḯ nodded. 

I was speechless.

¨That's why I've been keeping a low profile lately,¨ I muttered, slowly regaining the ability to speak. 

But why were they present when I just arranged the meeting recently with Ayanokoji? 

Don't tell me...

¨They also have access to whoever you contact too, Horikita.¨ 

Ayanokoji-kun added, reading my thoughts. 

¨But one would not be hired in a workplace in an instant just right after we scheduled our meeting. Is it possible?"

"There would absolutely be an interview process.¨ I doubted. 

There, Ayanokoji-kun answered my questions. 

¨That's the thing, Horikita.. This information tells us that a large group of people opposes us. And among them is a student staff in Pallet, unless it was just a mere coincidence."

¨

Kushida? 

No, she was against us from the very beginning, but there is a possibility that she'd forged a relationship with them to comply, 

just to completely wipe out our existence from this school.

¨But why would you think that I've been poisoned?"

"They've already attempted to rob information about us back there. "

"And, whoever had done that, is surely aware of the risks of being discovered. If students conduct forbidden actions, the school will definitely not hesitate to expel them."

"That was according to the 'rules' section in our student's handbook.¨ 

My mind was going haywire. 

I lost concentration, and all I could do was ask questions. 

I felt helpless.

"That was their backup plan if they do not manage to retrieve useful information to use against us. "

"The people opposing us knew you were vital in developing class D's cohesion."

" They probably hinted that you are one of the students who are going to be in charge of managing the study sessions for class D too for the paper shuffle."

" In order for class D to fall apart, all they have to do is to knock you down into an unfit condition to prevent you from attending school for this period.¨ Ayanokoji-kun clarified. 

¨This is driving me nuts... I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist the urge to say it.¨

 I vented my frustration. 

We are trapped in a dilemma, but first we have to figure out who is behind this. 

The sun was setting.

¨Do you know who is behind this? The person among the staff? Was it the waitress?¨ I questioned him worryingly. 

My mind went completely blank. 

Why was I acting like this? 

I knew this wasn't a trivial matter, but it involved my health. 

This also signaled the destruction of class D, if Kushida was involved.

The tough and stern personality I've put up with was crumbling apart.

¨Not that I know as of now. For the time being we have to defend ourselves before we discover more clues leading to the culprit.¨ he assured me. 

¨Switch off your phone too.¨

As I fished my phone out of my pocket, I remembered.

¨Ayanokoji. If I remember correctly,¨ I recounted. 

¨The cut-section of the pancake appeared raw, so the kitchen crew could have made a mistake, unless it was to disguise to cover the fact that the accused had poisoned me."

" If I consult a doctor, I would be diagnosed with food poisoning. Is that right?¨

So my health would decline over the next few hours.

How horrifying. 

But I had to refrain from seeking medical help, as the evidence would be pointless if I reported about it to the school.

Wait.

¨Yes."

" All matters aside, I have to bring you home."

" It's 6pm, so I'll use the time remaining before 8pm to buy some medicine and hand it over to you."

"Get somebody to tend to you as well if the symptoms kick in."

"Well, that's a possibility,¨ 

Ayanokoji anchored his right hand on my shoulder.

¨But Ayanokoji-kun, who would've smuggled-¨

...thud.

...

Just then my vision was obscured by blaring lights.

I opened my eyelids with an immense amount of effort, which was bizarre.

What exactly happened?

Just then, I felt like I was pierced in the stomach excruciatingly. 

My head was in shambles too.

I winced.

¨Horikita-san, are you alright?¨ 

A strangely familiar voice echoed in my ear. 

Obviously was in an endangered state, 

so that question felt absurd to hear.

¨I..Ichinose?¨ I gasped weakly. 

¨Where am I?¨

¨Well... I happened to be present walking around Keyaki mall on my own where you guys were nearby."

"Just then, Ayanokoji-kun emerged from the corner of my eye with you on his back, unconscious."

"I figured that he needed help, so I rushed to him."

"He told me to accompany him and return you back to your apartment."

"What happened to you? Horikita-san...¨ she unfolded the events.

How did it escalate so quickly? 

And how was it possible that it came to this? 

I thought agonizingly.

¨Let me check your temperature,¨ 

she gently placed a thermometer gun on my forehead.

¨39.6 degree celsius?!¨ 

Ichinose gulped, as she placed her vacant hand to her mouth in shock.

Just then, somebody knocked on the door.

¨Ayanokoji-kun? Is that you? If so, come in, the door's unlocked,¨ Ichinose spoke.

¨Hey." 

"Ichinose, what's her condition?¨ 

Ayanokoji-kun asked, as he removed his shoes and entered my apartment. 

I wanted to detest as I never gave consent, but I couldn't. 

I probably needed him in this state. 

I glanced at him, but he didn't seem to notice that I had awoken so he strolled over to my desk and had a conversation with Ichinose. 

All I heard was barely audible, so this was what I managed to extract and comprehend what they spoke about in their conversation.

I tuned in;

¨Ayanokoji-kun, I don't think she can manage any further at this rate on her own."

"Her symptoms are increasingly severe. She needs medical care...¨ 

Ichinose muttered with utter concern. 

¨I've bought some painkillers as well as antacids to diminish the pain."

"She can hold on longer with this.¨ 

Oh yeah? 

If you were me, you'd think otherwise.

But..

was I hallucinating or did he look agitated?

Ayanokoji handed over a small drugstore bag to Ichinose. 

¨How are you sure? You're not considering...? It's clear to you that she's suffering, and yet.. What if it's lethal?¨ 

Ichinose frowned, displaying extreme concern for me. 

¨There is a reason that it's not lethal, but I'll give it some thought."

"I'll drop by again at 7 50pm.¨

With that, he left my apartment. 

Ichinose let out a devastated sigh.

I awkwardly averted my eyes from the ceiling to Ichinose. 

I understand Ayanokoji, but I have never anticipated that I would have to endure such a magnitude of pain. 

¨Ah-¨

 I curled up into a ball in agony.

¨I'm sorry Ichinose-san, it must have been a bother to be involved in this matter...¨ 

I whispered apologetically.

 It was a first for her to see me like this, 

so I felt humiliated.

¨Horikita-san, hey, it's okay."

"It was not your fault to be in this state to begin with. But why is Ayanokoji-kun refusing to- Oh yes!"

"The medicine,¨ Ichinose attended to me.

So this is how being a dreadfully bed-ridden person feels like.

It felt awful.

...

After consuming the pills, my condition improved a while after. 

I still did not have the strength to walk, but I could sit upright. 

I still had occurring headaches, fever and an upset stomach, but at the very least it was not as unpleasant as before. 

¨Horikita-san, do you watch Korean Drama?¨ Ichinose asked. 

Korean Drama?

 As in the televised dramas in Korean Language, filmed in South Korea?

 A few girls in class seemed particularly invested in it, but I have no clue why.

If Ichinose offers to watch one with me, I wouldn't mind. 

Perhaps as she introduces me to it, I would develop a liking for it too. 

I do hope their series are captivating though. 

¨Korean dramas? I've heard of it before, but I haven't given a shot to watch one.¨ 

I responded, shifting to face her. 

¨Ah yes! A good opportunity!¨

 Ichinose cheered. 

¨Do you mind if you would join me to embark on a new K-series?"

" Not to worry, I guarantee that it'll be engaging."

"It's okay to refuse,¨

 Ichinose enthusiastically smiled. 

¨I'll join you, but which series are you watching?¨ 

I eyed her intently. 

¨I don't know much of the plot yet, but it's called 'Healer.'"

"We can watch it on Webflix, unless you do not have an account,¨ Ichinose added.

¨I do have a Webflix account, just that I do not regularly use it,¨ I assured her. 

¨We can flash it on my television.¨

 I sat upright, reaching out for the remote control on my nightstand. 

¨Do you mind if I sit right next to you?¨ 

Ichinose asked if I was comfortable with it. 

I nodded.

¨Hurray!¨ 

As she snuggled in my bed next to me, 

I could not help but feel glad that she felt ecstatic with watching a series with me.

No...

 It was an emotion I don't have the ability to comprehend and describe in words. 

It was a feeling that I had not experienced before as I isolated myself from society.. 

How it felt to have company and spend time with friends having fun..

As I thought about it,

 I accidentally let out a smile.

¨Horikita-san, I hope you'll enjoy it!¨ 

Ichinose said as she surfed through my Smart TV in search for the series. 

As her eyes met mine, she grinned. 

¨I'm glad to see this side of you, Horikita-san, hehe."

" It never crossed my mind that i'll ever see you this elated, since you usually seem neutral in school, but I guess it was my mistake for assuming that.¨

Upon hearing her honest remark, I slightly fumed with embarrassment.

¨Can we continue..?¨

¨Of course!¨

That night, my friendship with Ichinose-san developed a step forward.

The intro of 'Healer' played, and the soundtrack caught my attention. 

It made me feel nostalgic. 

It sounded catchy as well. 

 I wonder why it was titled Healer? 

Nothing from the introduction is linked to the literal definition of healer. 

Is it a codename?

( Warning: the following are spoilers for those who haven't watched or heard of 'Healer')

As the intro concluded, the protagonist who appeared to be playing virtual tennis featured on the screen. 

However, whatever he talked to himself about in the first cutscene as he played virtual tennis with an AI avatar, shot me down. 

¨I admit that you're sexy."

" I even admit that you're strong."

" But the thing is... "

"What is up with your clothes?¨ 

¨What the he-?¨ slipped from my mouth. 

Ichinose chuckled with glee. 

Thereafter, as 'Healer' failed to save the shot,

he fell to the ground recklessly, 

in defeat.

¨Isn't there an option for choosing clothes? "

"That would've been the first thing to develop if it was me. "

"Number 1. Bikini, Number 2."

" Belly dance, Number 3."

" Maid outfit with white lace. And..¨ 

he panted as he simultaneously regained his footing. 

¨Number 4. Playboy, bunny fashion.¨

¨How inhumane of him to blurt his true impressions of how a girl should be dressed,¨ I scoffed. 

¨Don't worry, I'm pretty sure there'll be development,¨ Ichinose asserted. 

As he was in the midst of conquering the other player, his phone blasted with his ringtone.

A curious looking cartoon character shrouded the screen, as it menacingly laughed. 

Groaning in frustration, a voice whom probably belonged to a woman interrupted,

¨Why aren't you answering the phone?!¨

¨I told you not to do that.¨ Healer retorted.

¨I told you not to bother whenever you want!¨

¨I told you not to ignore my calls¨ she countered.

This was a seemingly endless argument of ¨I told you not¨s

¨I hate you...¨ Healer sighed.

¨We've been commissioned!¨

Upon hearing that, Healer jolted up to his feet.

¨What is it?¨ giving his utmost attention.

¨Something totally simple.¨

...

¨When?¨

¨Now. Right away.¨

So the protagonist was working undercover without disclosing his identity. 

No wonder nothing was mentioned about his name. 

Despite his ridiculous introduction, I stared at the screen intently, fighting my body's temptation to fall asleep from drowsiness.

Further into the first episode, he mentioned something.

¨I have a dream.¨ 

He gazed over at the large portrait, stationed next to his bed, illustrating an isolated beach.

¨An island two and a half hours from Panama by ferry boat. In the middle of the clear blue sea, the trees are lush, and a well of natural spring water.¨

¨This... is my dream.¨

I admit. 

This is getting interesting.

In the process of watching the first episode, a few more characters were introduced.

A famous islandwide news reporter, Kim Mun-ho, the client of Healer.

Chae Young-shin, a strong-willed and quirky internet news reporter who dreams of becoming a legendary reporter.

Jo Min-ja, a former detective specializing in cyber crimes, and the voice who spoke through the screen in the first cutscene.

I wonder how the series would link all of these characters as all of them seem unrelated in the first place?

The first episode was nearing an end. However, I couldn't withstand my exhaustion anymore.

As much as I wanted to continue, my body was drained of energy.

Once Chae Young-shin was suspected as the former Ji-an, I fell into a deep slumber.

...

(Narrator's perspective)

¨Horikita-san? Would you like to- oh... ¨ Ichinose gazed at Horikita, who slept soundly.

Footsteps were heard approaching Horikita's doorstep. It was 7 49 p.m.

Silently unlocking the door, Ichinose was greeted by Ayanokoji's presence.

¨Shh..¨ Ichinose whispered to Ayanokoji, to signal that Horikita was asleep.

¨I assume that she's asleep.¨ Ayanokoji entered as he removed his shoes.

As he glanced at the TV screen, he spoke, 

¨You guys have been watching?¨

Ichinose nodded. 

¨Well then, since everything is progressing smoothly, I see no point in staying here, but¨ 

He crouched down next to Horikita's bedside.

¨Good night Horikita.¨

¨And Ichinose, thanks for tending to her, I'll see the both of you tomorrow, then.¨

Ichinose smiled. 

¨No problem, Ayanokoji-kun, I'll always lend my friends a helping hand.¨

After bidding farewell, he left the apartment.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

834K 22.2K 77
Status. Expectations. Peacefulness. All of these three were things Ayanokouji Kiyotaka was trying to keep constant. He aimed to temper them and keep...
55.7K 2.4K 44
Ayanokoji Kiyotaka , Demon of 4th generation arrives at ANHS in search of freedom from his past. He will go to any length to ensure his freedom, even...
852K 35K 97
" You are being admitted to Class-D, the worst Class of your year. " " If you successfully reach Class-A, you will get freedom for your lifetime " "...
65.3K 1.8K 18
❝𝐈𝐓 𝐃𝐎𝐄𝐒𝐍'𝐓 𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐍𝐄𝐄𝐃𝐒 𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐒𝐀𝐂𝐑𝐈𝐅𝐈𝐂𝐄𝐃. 𝐖𝐈𝐍𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐈𝐒 𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐘𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆.❞ -in which Ayanokouji...