fallout (chapter 2.5)

(Ayanokoji's perspective)

It appeared that it was still lunch-hour. 

Students still remained seated as they feasted on their meals, with more students emerging every few minutes. 

Pallet was as lively as every other day. 

Majority of the students appeared to be seniors in the cafe. 

It seemed that they were bracing themselves for an upcoming major exam, as they occupied the cafe to study whilst chattering.

Horikita was staring into my soul, as the both of us were silent in the midst of trying to spark a conversation.

¨Horikita, do you have any interests?¨ I asked. 

Driven by shock, Horikita snapped back from spacing out. 

¨Ah, um..¨ Horikita pondered. 

¨Sorry, did I startle you?¨

¨Actually, I have never explored activities which may be of my interest so,¨

 Horikita paused. 

¨Unless, it's baking.. honestly, it is what I do whenever I feel the need to satisfy my cravings. 

That was also why I offered to accompany me here as well as to Keyaki mall.

 I don't really classify it as a hobby though, since I only bake occasionally. ¨ 

Horikita noticed my baffled expression,

¨Not what you were expecting, am I right?¨ 

¨Well, to make this short and simple, you just didn't seem the type of person who would be interested in baking, but do you mind if I try some of your pastries? 

Feel free to use me as your taste tester, but I'll refuse if it's burnt or contains foreign and strange ingredients.¨ 

I wondered how baking first crossed her mind. 

The thought of her making desserts is intriguing, so I offered to be her taste tester. 

She could even possess the potential to set up a legible business to share or deliver her own inventions and recipes. 

But I doubt she would accept that, unless she feels eager to devote herself to it. 

¨Sure?¨ 

Horikita sounded uncertain, but if I'm not mistaken, I saw her lips curl up into a slight grin. 

Does baking mean that much to her?

Just then, her actions implied a 180 degree turn on her mood. 

Her eyes widened in alarm, as she began darting her sight to every direction, as if she was wary of someone. 

¨Horikita? Oh-¨ 

She glared at me in a serious manner, as if telling me to keep my mouth shut.