๐๐ซ๐จ๐ค๐ž๐ง ๐’๐ข๐ฅ๐ž๐ง๐ญ. โœ—...

By -chxrriishii

โŒœ โ€ข ยฐ '๐–ฌ๐—†๐—†...' ยฐ โ€ข โŒ โ˜ฝ โ—œ โžด ๐‘ฏ๐’–๐’๐’•๐’†๐’“ ๐’™ ๐‘ฏ๐’–๐’๐’•๐’†๐’“ ๐‘ฝ๐’‚๐’“๐’Š๐’๐’–๐’” ๐’™ ๐‘ด๐’‚๐’๐’† ๐‘น๐’†๐’‚๐’…๐’†๐’“ ... More

๐‘ฐ๐’๐’•๐’“๐’๐’…๐’–๐’„๐’•๐’Š๐’๐’๐’”.
๐‘ท๐’“๐’๐’๐’๐’ˆ๐’–๐’†.
๐ˆ
๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐ˆ๐•
๐•
๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐ˆ๐—
๐—
Happy New Year :D

๐•๐ˆ

7.4K 308 97
By -chxrriishii

└────── ☁️ ──────┘
|
↠ C h a p t e r 6 -
Is ✘ Anyone ✘ Hungry? ↞

𝖶𝗈𝗋𝖽 𝖢𝗈𝗎𝗇𝗍 | 𝟦𝟪𝟩𝟪

After awhile of running, the three boys had finally made it back to group of other contestants. "Looks like we've made it in time." The blonde spoke, a small smile crossing his features as he began to catch his breath. The hopeful white demon looked around, his eyes on the look out for something very close to him... Weird snake guy, odd hat girl... He frowned and placed his hands on his hips, his eyes squinting.

"But... where's Leorio?" The brown eyed male asked, looking around the area.

Two wide e/c eyes continued to shift around the group. Where could it be...? His gaze rested on the clown lookin' man before. A soft smirk was on his lips before pointing towards a tree. A long figure was leaning against the tree, the young boy squealing and shooting his hands in the air before sprinting over. He jumped before flopping into the lap of none other than Leorio, his personal mattress.

"Ow! Y/N!" The male hissed, the demon scrambling off and tilting his head to the side. "Man, that stings... How the hell did I get beat up so badly? My memory's so hazy, I can't remember anything..."

Gon placed the older male's suitcase next to him, Leorio looked genuinely concerned for what happened. Y/N carefully lifted his head and faced his two friends, "We probably shouldn't tell him what happened." Kurapika whispered, Gon humming and nodding. Y/N twitched before beginning to pat Leorio's head, gentle hums leaving his lips.

Though... The bump on his face freaked him out, so he just kinda stood up and scooted away, standing on the other side of Gon. "Yikes, that looks nasty." Gon commented upon Y/N's quick movement. "Gon! Y/N!" The two said boys looked over, Gon smiling and jumping in his spot. "Killua!" He smiled, grabbing onto his backpack. Y/N hummed and waved his hand, his eyes closing in an attempt of a closed eye smile.

"I was starting to think you two weren't gonna make it here... or that you guys didn't make it at all." Killua smiled, shoving his hands in his pockets as he approached the two.

Upon stepping near Y/N, his hands reached up and began to mess with Killua's hair. His once wide eyes now squinted in content as he felt the soft silky locks between his fingers. Why he was no invested in this? Not even he knew. He wanted a pillow made out of his hair... in the none creepy away. A gentle questioned hum left his lips as his wrist was grabbed by Killua.

"Sorry..." He muttered, pulling his hand away.

Y/N hummed and blinked slowly before slowly pulling his hands away. "We just follow the scent of Leorio's cologne!" Gon smiled, pointing a thumb towards the tall male. Killua, pushing the awkward moment aside, spoke up, "you tracked his scent? That's how?" Gon blinked before nodding his head. "Y/N too! He could smell it too... it's a weird kinda scent." He chuckled. Y/N nodded in agreement as he wasn't the greatest fan of the scent...

Killua just laughed and tilted his head to the side. "Man, you two are really weird, aren't you?" Y/N just nodded. He didn't know how to respond to that. "Excellent work, everyone. The second phase will take place here, in the Visca Forest Park. So, I shall now take my leave. I wish you all the very best of luck." Satotz spoke, beginning to walk through the crowd.

The white demon watched with wide eyes, a soft hum left his lips. He was about to run after the weird walking man, yet Gon grabbed his hand and pointed towards the large wall that sat in front of them. A huge mansion sat behind the gate, tables upon tables of cooking supplies lined up. Was this the second phase? He wasn't really hungry... He glanced back to where Satotz was and to his surprise, he was gone.

Sad.

His e/c orbs scanned over the crowd, his eyes resting on a huge man! He had a yellow shirt on, brown hair resting on his forehead. In front of him, sat a much much much smaller lady with bluish greenish hair. Her hairstyle was a bit odd to Y/N, yet he wasn't going to ask. He clothing choice made him feel like his straight was showing. He carefully pressed his lips against his bamboo muzzle, his eyebrows furrowing.

"Will all of the applicants who passed the first phase please enter?!" The lady called, lifting one of her hands that lolled over the couch she sat on.

Y/N gulped and gripped tighter onto Gon's hand, his head whipping towards Kurapika and Leorio who began to walk behind the three youngers. He felt intimidated by this woman... that or the huge mansion in front of him. "Welcome all! I'm Menchi, your examiner for the second phase." The lady called, a smug look on her face.

The big man had a smile on his face, "likewise, I am Buhara." He introduced. It was quiet for a moment... no one moved. No one talked... even the birds seemed to be holding their breath. Suddenly, a large rumble was heard, Y/N's eyes dilating as he began to look around. What was that and why? "Sounds to me like you're getting hungry." Buhara smiled and placed his hand on his belly, "not just hungry, I'm famished!"

The demon's jaw felt like it dropped to the floor. That was his belly that sounded like an earthquake was coming up. Damn, he wanted to scare people like that. Menchi stood up, her hands dropping to her sides as she overlooked the applicants. "Well, there you have it. The second phase...

"Will be cooking!"

A bald guy with bizarre eyebrows spoke up, "wait, cooking? Am I hearing that correctly?" Some other big guy, blonde hair with brown shaved sides scoffed and stepped up. "What do you mean 'we're cooking'? We came here to take the hunter exam." Menchi still had a smug look on her face as she placed her hands on her hips. "That's right! The second phase of the exam will be preparing a meal that'll satisfy our palettes."

"Why do we have to cook?" Someone in the crowd asked.

"Don't you know? It's simple really... because, we're gourmet hunters!" Menchi looked really enthusiastic for her own hunter profession... Y/N didn't blame her, he was pretty sure he would be happy to talk about his hunting style.

It was quiet for a second, just a second. Soon, everyone bursted out laughing around Y/N. Save his friend group, they seemed more serious than Menchi... Save Killua times two. It seemed like he didn't care, not that Y/N minded. If he was as awesome and skateboardy as Killua, he would definitely ride it while throwing people flowers in the street.

Though... the laughter was quite annoying. His eyebrows furrowed as he began to huff, puffs of smoking emitting from the side of his head. "So you're both gourmet hunters! What exactly do you want us to make?" The blonde fat guy asked, a rather cocky look on his face. This told Y/N one thing. Sabotage.

Menchi huffed and crossed her arms, signaling Buhara. "Today's mina ingredient will be pork! Feel free to use from any of the species of pin in Visca Forest. As you see, you'll slide these cooking facilities to prep your pork dishes. To pass the exam, you must create a dish to satisfy our discriminating palettes." He explained, a happy and ravenous smile on his face.

"But we won't be evaluating taste alone. So take this seriously, is that clear? When we've both eaten our full, this portion of the exam will be over." Menchi explained, clearly irritated with the group around her.

"Okay, enough talk. Let's just get to it, alright?"

Y/N huffed and tightened his grip on Gon's hand. Who died and made this shaved head, blonde hair in a ponytail man examiner. "Let the exam's second phase begin!" Buhara called. Gon began to pull Y/N towards the gate, their friends following close behind.

The demon watched as everyone dispersed, his eyes blanking. Why not work to - well... divide and conquer. "So, we gotta catch a pig and cook it, huh?" Leorio asked, Y/N straying forward a bit. He blocked out the conversation and blinked, in front of him was a small hill. Was he going to stop and tell his friends.

He squeaked as he slid down the grass, slamming his feet on the ground to stop him from going any further. He should've just stopped and thought about it. A panicked noise left Y/N's vocal chords as he was slammed into. He looked behind him and saw Gon, looking over the area in front of him. The demon looked back and scooted back against Gon a tiny bit, the price of grass wrapping his arms around Y/N.

In front of them, were a bunch of fat pigs. Y/N leaned more into Gon, his head pushing against the other's jawline. Soon, the two were budged forward, about three times. Y/N huffed and looked behind him, glaring at Killua, Leorio, and Kurapika. "What the hell do you two think you're doing?!" Killua yelled. "We found them!" Gon smiled, Y/N wheezed into his muzzle and looked back at the amazing sight of terrifying pigs.

"They're... all chewing on bones." Leorio muttered.

"Don't tell me... they're carnivores?" Kurapika muttered, sounding rather out of breath.

A pig saw them, it's beady eyes becoming murderous. Y/N squealed as the pig yelled out to his brethren. He flipped over and began to shove his friends back up the slope before scrambling onto his feet and taking off. He could hear the quick patter of his group behind him as well as the thumping anger of multiple pigs. This is it! Leorio's a goner! Where his money?

The five passed a group of applicants, the others beginning to throw rocks, trying to basically 'disarm' the murderous pigs. Yet, nothing worked. Y/N stumbled slightly, two hooves in front of his face. He gulped as he carefully looked up to a huffing pig in front of his face. They smelt... so bad. Its jaws opened up and tried to chomp on the boy, yet he squeaked and backed away.

If this pig was going to kill him, he was going to make food out of it first! He jumped up and swung his foot out, aiming for the snout! Instead, he slipped on the disgusting snot and slammed his heel onto the pig's forehead, the large stature of a mammal collapsing. His eyes immediately darted towards his friends, Gon had gotten his pig down by... apples.

Lovely.

"Huh! That's it, their foreheads are their weak spots!" Killua spoke, ready to take on his own pig.

"I see, that makes sense, they feel booed tough snouts to protect their delicate foreheads." Kurapika muttered, a confident look taking over his features.

Y/N gagged and began to wipe the nasty snot off of his clothes. He carefully reached over and grabbed the pig by the ear with his thumb and index finger and began to drag it back to the gate. Confusion overtook his face as he carefully chose a cooking area. Was he the first one? He dropped his pig and stared at it. He had never made a dish before... he never had to eat.

Actually... behind all those thoughts that circulate around his head. His eyes slowly began half lidded as he thought of the most beautiful woman he had seen in his life... Black hair with gentle e/c orbs.

"We don't eat, sweetie. Food isn't appealing to us. Though, I'm making this for our guests. Not all white demons have to marry another demon, they can marry a human as well. Sometimes they have human children, and we must learn to make food for our family if a human was to be introduced."

His mother was cooking some sort of dish that smelt really good. Y/N couldn't remember what the main was, but he remembered everything the surrounded it. He knew it was a type of meat as well, due to the circle of meat on the inside. Right! If he was going to remember this now, he might as well take his mother's advise.

Pushing his silly antics aside, he began his struggling few hours. First, he took all the meat he needed from his pig and offered it to the ninja looking guy. He was grateful and showed his gratitude by lending Y/N a thing of salt. Yet... he had his own. Back at his station, he began to season the meat with salt and pepper all around.

He carefully squirted vegetable oil into a hot pan, dropping his meat inside and beginning to sear the perfect cylinder shape. He pushed it to the side and waddled to his blender, dropping in plentiful of mushrooms, a cup of shallots, and a tiny bit of thyme. He crawled on the counter and pressed the top on the blender and pressed a button, the blade inside beginning to spin rapidly.

Y/N tilted his head to the side and watched as the food spin around and around. "Hey, Y/N!" Leorio smiled, walking over. The demon sat up and looked at the tall man, his eyes lighting up. His head then tilted to the side, his eyebrow raising. "Yeah, I finished! This was kinda easy." Leorio smirked as the boy slid off the counter and stopped his blender.

He removed the pork from pan and dropped a tablespoon of butter into the pan. He looked around and pointed to the full pork plate at Leorio's station. "Yep! That's mine! Are you sure you want to use this little? It may not satisfy them..." He muttered, looking at Y/N's small piece of meat. Y/N frowned and moved the butter around to fill the whole pan. If it's small, then it can still be good! Maybe some people don't want a big pork.

He grabbed his blender and dropped all of his mushroom, shallots, and thyme in. He grabbed a utensil and began to spread it around, looking up to see Leorio talking to Kurapika. Kurapika was... almost done. He stared at the two for a moment... what was... he doing? He looked back at his pan and blinked before shrugging and pushing the pan off of the stove. His e/c orbs shifted to the cylinder piece of meat, sliding over and poking it.

Wait! Nope! No silly antics! He grunted and got a sauce brush, searching around for dijon. Once he found it, he dipped the brush in and began to coat the meat in it, his eyebrows furrowed. He slid down his station and grabbed plastic wrap, finding some type of meat to add in. He placed the meat on the plastic wrap before adding his mushroom mix. Snatching the pork, he began to roll the meat within the other two, using the plastic wrap to keep his fingers clean.

Once he rolled it all the way, he twisted the end and found a spot to refrigerate his combination. Cleaning his small counter area, he began to spread flour on the surface before dropping puff pastry on top. Grabbing a rolling pin, he started to flatten it out. He knew how to do this part due to his mother helping him, or him helping her whenever she made this.

He took one last glance at his rolled out dough before humming and snatching eggs from someone else's station, not without asking first... in his own way. He cracked the eggs in a bowl and cleaned off his sauce brush, placing it near the bowl and puff pastry. He retrieved his meat, removed the plastic wrap, and placed it on the end of the pastry. Taking the sauce brush, he began to swipe egg wash around the edges.

"Egg wash will help the pastry stay put. See? You roll it like this."

He hummed and began to roll the pastry, the ends hanging off. He started to fold them in, squeezing them together. As his mother once said, egg wash helps the pastry stay together. He began to wash the outside of the pastry with egg, putting flaky salt on top. Into the oven it went... and he was done. He had used so much brainpower. He whined and looked around, where was his mattress when he really needed him?

By the time everyone was done, Y/N was just waking up on Leorio's back, the group standing at the demon's station due to him being finished last. He grunted and rested his chin on Leorio's shoulder, slowly blinking. "Good morning." Kurapika smiled, glancing at the boy. He hummed and raised his hand before dropping it. "Now, eat the pig and send me to the next phase." The blonde ponytail guy bossed, Y/N lifting his head and looking over.

"Okay, time to judge. Taste testing..." Menchi muttered.

Buhara literally pigged out, holding up a green O sign while... Menchi held up a red X sign. "The pork's overcooked. It's way too tough. It totally ruins the flavor." "Come on, you haven't even tried it!" The big guy grumbled. "I don't have to! It's obvious." The woman hissed.

Soon it was the ninja Y/N had given the rest of his pork to. He had used it to add a bit more beat around the belly. What was odd to him... was everyone had the same dish. Why? Is no one creative or something, well... his wasn't very creative either. He kinda stole the recipe from his mom. "There, I hope you enjoy it." The ninja hummed.

Buhara gave him a pass while Menchi failed him to T-Minus nine seconds. "Charred and dry on the outside, raw on the inside. Your fire was way too hot." She critiqued. The group watched from Y/N's station, the boy paying attention to every rejected pork plate. "I'm going up there!" Leorio smirked. Y/N slid off of his back and blinked, watching him go to get his pig and waltz right up to the gourmet hunters.

"Tell me how much you love it!" Leorio spoke, his voice still loud.

Though... Menchi just threw the plate in the air, "is this supposed to be a kid's meal?!" She yelled, Y/N wheezing and covering his ears. Buhara caught it and began to munch away, Leorio whined and sulked back. "Okay! Mine is next!" Gon cheered, skipping up the mansion and representing his plate. "It's just like the last one!" Menchi yelled, throwing it up just as she did Leorio's.

Another pass from Buhara and another fail from Menchi. Kurapika was next, his dish looking rather... The next entry's mine, ready to be judged." Menchi huffed and sat back down, leaning over to inspect it. "Well, finally something that resembles an actual dish." She took a simple bite out of it before, surprise surprise, throwing it up in the air. "Disgusting! Presentation is important but not at the expense of the flavor. You're basically no better than number four oh three!"

Y/N wanted to go next... though, he didn't wanna get yelled at. He reluctantly grabbed his plate and began to walk up. He placed the plate on the table before plopping down, his legs spread as he stared at the two with wide eyes. "Pork Wellington?" Menchi asked. Y/N just shrugged before nodding. He didn't know what it was called. "I will say the pastry is a nice golden brown as well as the meat, it looks cooked." The woman spoke, looking at the dish from different angles.

She hummed and took a bite straight out of the middle, and to Y/N's surprise, she swallowed it. "It's not bad, but not good. You could have added more seasoning and you were this close to it being raw." She hummed and grabbed her paddle thingy. Buhara had taken a bite and of course held his green O. Y/N sat in anticipation as Menchi passed her tongue over her lips.

She held up her sign. Red X. Y/N blinked and began to roll away, back to his friend group. He sat up, his back hitting Killua's legs. "Awe, you were so close!" Gon whined, lurching forward. "That was so much good, I couldn't take another bite!" Buhara called, placing his hand over his belly. His shirt was showing his pale skin.

"Yeah I'm pretty stuffed myself..." Menchi hummed, resting her chin on the back of her hand. "So, none of you passed! Exams over!" She called, standing up.

Y/N blinked. He looked rather... dumbfounded. Except, he didn't know how to show the hurt in his stomach. It really hurt... could it be that he messed up his mother's dish so much? A gentle whimper left his lips as he pulled his legs to his chest. "Are you okay?" Killua asked, bending over. Y/N hummed and nodded, leaning back and pressing his head to Killua's thighs as his looked up at him.

A loud noise startled the group, Y/N jumping like a cat and crawling a few steps to see what the noise was. The blonde guy looked pissed. "This is unacceptable! Do ya hear me? I will not accept this!" "Say what you want, but you still failed." Menchi commented, looking rather bored already. "Shut the hell up! You asked for pork and we gave it to you, we risked our lives—-" Menchi cut the big guy off.

"Your challenge was to prepare a pork dish that both examiners would find delicious, and none of you made a satisfying dish that was even close to succeeding! You all did pretty much the exact same thing, I mean it's like you didn't even try to figure it out, and when you had tried it was fancy plating with no flavor to back it up! It's clear that almost none of you took this seriously!" Menchi ranted. This guy was definitely getting on her nerves...

Y/N hummed gently and slid his hands forward before flopping his body onto the ground. He blinked and rested his cheek on the grass, his muzzle pressing on the earth as he began to pick at the grass. His failure was really taking a toll on him. He huffed as he rolled onto his back, the sun was almost immediately blocked by some... blimp. He sat up and squinted his eyes to get a closer look.

"Well, that said, it seems a bit excessive to fail almost every single applicant."

"The symbol of the Hunter's Association! It must be someone from the exam committee." Someone mentioned.

The demon carefully got to his feet, any loose grass falling off of his clothes. Someone jumped down from the ship, dirt lifting in the air. Y/N watched carefully, the dust clearing. A panicked noise emitted from his throat, he sped over. The weird curved grey and white beard, odd shoes. He knew who this was! He engulfed the old man in a hug, rubbing his face all over his side. "Y/N!" Kurapika called.

"Oh! Y/N, I almost didn't recognize you. You've accepted my offer on becoming a hunter!" The old man smiled, placing a hand on the male's head.

During the demon's procrastination years, he had met this man, Chairman Netero. Within the few months they were together, they had formed a strong bond. Yet, Y/N thought he freeloaded off of him enough, so he had left. But before he did... "You should've contacted me, then you wouldn't have to go through the exam."

The male's eyes widened as he thought about it. Easy access. But... if he hadn't, then he wouldn't have met his friends... This was the better way. He lifted his head and looked at his four friends, as the chairman was lowering his hand pat the boy's head. He darted away and attacked Killua, crawling onto his back before nuzzling his face into his fluffy hair.

The old man blinked before chuckling, finally getting the memo. This young fart made some friends. "Who's the old man?" Someone asked after that whole kinda awkward ordeal. No doubt, people were whispering about it. "He is the head of the exam committee, and he's responsible for the hunter exam, Chairman Netero." Menchi spoke, walking forward... she looked rather guilty.

"Oh, I just work behind the scenes. It's not all that impressive, I only intervene in the exams when little issues like this one pop up. Now, dear Menchi." The man hummed.

The woman only replied with, "sir."

"It's come to my attention that you've chosen to fail all this year's applicants. The reason being, as I understand it. Their general reluctance to challenge the unknown." Y/N wanted to give a big L to the blonde ponytail, brown hair shaven sides guy. It was obviously bleached. However, Y/N's hair was all natural.

Of course, Y/N got carried away with thinking of scenarios of how it would go down if he did it. They didn't end well. They all ended with him getting crushed or... getting beaten to a pulp. He was a stick compared to that guy. He looked at Kurapika who was holding his hand. His eyebrows furrowed. When did he get here?

They were at a mountain that had a large gorge in the middle. Wait, he's been here before... He had to retrieve an egg from some guy's sick wife... Or he was running another errand for his mother. Wait, when did they die? He blinked and let go of Kurapika's hand, walking over and looking over the edge. There's little air spouts at the bottom, no doubt.  He plopped down on the swung his legs over the edge.

He saw Menchi jump down, then ride up with an egg in her clutches. He was def doing that. He hummed and slowly slid off. "Wait!" Kurapika called, placing a hand on the boy's chest. He blinked and frowned, screw that. He saluted Kurapika before sliding off. He landed on the web, his hands clutching around the silk. He looked around and saw a pod of egg.

He swung forward and landed on the string holding the eggs. He carefully grabbed one and pushed off the basket. He plummeted it down, coming close to the ground. Two milliseconds before he splat, he was propelled in the air. He could feel the fear and now he knew what Gon meant! It was exciting!

He jumped back onto the ground and waddled over to Netero, holding his egg. "Nice job." The old man smiled, gently patting the boy's head. Everyone else had jumped down after him, so... he was the first one up!

Y/N stood next to Menchi, watching his friends eat boiled eggs. "Where'd you get that pork wellington recipe? I'm sure with the right ingredients it'll be delicious." She spoke, looking down at him. He blinked before pressing his hand against his heart and pointing up. "Someone... who died?" She asked. The male nodded. "A family member?" Another nod. "Mother?" He nodded a third time. "She must of had amazing taste then." She smiled, straightening her back.

The male puffed his cheeks out. Yeah, right. He turned his head back in front of him and saw Kurapika offering his egg. "I see why they're called dream eggs, would you like some?" He asked, his face softening. Y/N hummed and shook his head. "Now that I think about it... You haven't eaten anything since we met you, Y/N." Gon spoke, walking over.

A clacking of wood shoes caused Y/N to turn around, Netero placing his hand on the boy's head. He began to carefully massage his scalp, the boy wheezing at the feeling. "That's because he doesn't eat or drink." The chairman informed. Killua spat up his egg and faced the two, "what do you mean, gramps?! Everyone needs to eat or drink!"

"Oh? You didn't know? ...Well, I guess that would make sense since you four are new friends to hum, hmmm... you see, Y/N is rather different from others. He only needs to eat once in awhile.. I'm sure he can just tell you - or I suppose write it - when he has the chance." He explained.

Damn. Really throwing Y/N under the bus. He blinked before nodding and leaning into Netero's calming touches. Though, they were pulled away so suddenly, and the warm aura of the man was gone. Y/N yelped and face planted, his muzzle making a clacking nose on the ground. The trend continues...

Yet, the applicants learned a valuable lesson Whether blacklist or gourmet, no one comes by the title of hunter easily. It requires a staggering amount of determination! Only forty three applicants remain... Mostly because some idiots are so damn impatient to get a damn egg.

Hey so... I used a recipe of beef wellington for Y/N's pork wellington. If you want to make one, I shall put the ingredients and instructions below. The uh... link will be at the end if you need assistance if you're ever going to make it. I'm... finna make it tomorrow.

INGREDIENTS

(2 lb.) center-cut beef tenderloin, trimmed

kosher salt

freshly ground black pepper

extra-virgin olive oil, for greasing

2 tbsp. Dijon mustard

1 1/2 lb. mixed mushrooms, roughly chopped

1 shallot, roughly chopped

Leaves from 1 thyme sprig

2 tbsp. unsalted butter

12 thin slices prosciutto

all-purpose flour, for dusting

14 oz. frozen puff pastry, thawed

1 large egg, beaten

flaky salt, for sprinkling

DIRECTIONS

1. Using kitchen twine, tie tenderloin in 4 places. Season generously with salt and pepper.

2. Over high heat, coat bottom of a heavy skillet with olive oil. Once pan is nearly smoking, sear tenderloin until well-browned on all sides, including the ends, about 2 minutes per side (12 minutes total). Transfer to a plate. When cool enough to handle, snip off twine and coat all sides with mustard. Let cool in fridge.

3. Meanwhile, make duxelles: In a food processor, pulse mushrooms, shallots, and thyme until finely chopped.

4. To skillet, add butter and melt over medium heat. Add mushroom mixture and cook until liquid has evaporated, about 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then let cool in fridge.

5. Place plastic wrap down on a work surface, overlapping so that it's twice the length and width of the tenderloin. Shingle the prosciutto on the plastic wrap into a rectangle that's big enough to cover the whole tenderloin. Spread the duxelles evenly and thinly over the prosciutto.

6. Season tenderloin, then place it at the bottom of the prosciutto. Roll meat into prosciutto-mushroom mixture, using plastic wrap to roll tightly. Tuck ends of prosciutto as you roll, then twist ends of plastic wrap tightly into a log and transfer to fridge to chill (this helps it maintain its shape).

7. Heat oven to 425°. Lightly flour your work surface, then spread out puff pastry and roll it into a rectangle that will cover the tenderloin (just a little bigger than the prosciutto rectangle you just made!). Remove tenderloin from plastic wrap and place on bottom of puff pastry. Brush the other three edges of the pastry with egg wash, then tightly roll beef into pastry.

8. Once the log is fully covered in puff pastry, trim any extra pastry, then crimp edges with a fork to seal well. Wrap roll in plastic wrap to get a really tight cylinder, then chill for 20 minutes.

9. Remove plastic wrap, then transfer roll to a foil-lined baking sheet. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with flaky salt.

10. Bake until pastry is golden and the center registers 120°F for medium-rare, about 40 to 45 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before carving and serving.

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a58702/easy-beef-wellington-recipe/

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Weak By eff_off

Fanfiction

146K 4.8K 30
L/N Y/N was never strong. All her life, she's had to rely on others around her and she hated it. She hated not being able to protect herself and she...
83.7K 2.4K 31
A boy named Netsu, sat alone in the woods, his indigo and green eyes wandering around his surroundings. After years of torture, he finally escapes an...
33.9K 776 21
Fanfic, about you and Feitan (fem reader) ..................................................................................... You're on a mission w...
20.8K 458 17
โ requests are still open ! โž โŸถ ๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ me and DA_RINA1 write one shots together ! more info inside the book ! ...