Stella

By Howard774

Stella Callahan, a twenty-four-year-old woman, lives in an elite society full of old money where status is ev... More

A/N
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-one
Twenty-two
Twenty-three
Twenty-four
Twenty-six
Twenty-seven
Twenty-eight
Twenty-nine
Thirty
Thirty-one
Thirty-two
Thirty-three
Thirty-four
Thirty-five
Thirty-six
Thirty-seven
Thirty-eight
Thirty-nine
Forty
Forty-one
Forty-two
Forty-three
Forty-four
Forty-five
Forty-six
Forty-seven
Forty-eight
Forty-nine
Fifty
Fifty-one
Fifty-two
Fifty-three
Fifty-four
Fifty-five
Fifty-six
Fifty-seven
Fifty-nine
Sixty
Sixty-one
Sixty-two
bonus
Sixty-three
Sixty-four
Sixty-five
Sixty-six
Sixty-seven
Sixty-eight
Sixty-nine
Seventy
Seventy-one
Seventy-two
Seventy-three
Seventy-four
Seventy-five
Seventy-six
Seventy-seven
Seventy-eight
A/N
Seventy-nine
Eighty
Eighty-one
Eighty-two
aesthetics
Bonus

Twenty-five

2.1K 122 13
By Howard774

be careful

As the lunch rush was slowing to a trickle, there weren't many people in the café. There were some students who dropped by to grab a beverage or a sweet treat, but most were professionals wanting a kick to tide them over until it was time to go home. 

It was a nice space in an advantageous location, giving access to the office workers during the week and those who stayed out all night on the weekends or fancied a laid back brunch.

It was the café Lexi decided to sit and spy her love interest but decided she liked the rustic industrial charm and found it a great place to study. Her false nails tapped on her laptop keys as she worked while Hozier murmured from the speakers in the ceiling. Occasionally the barista would sing along to some of the words as he cleaned.

It was only the third week of college, and she was already up to her elbows in schoolwork. She just wanted to go out with her friends and party. She already missed the free days with little to do but shop and have fun. With a sigh she focused on her work and sipped her frappe.

"Good afternoon, what would you like today?" The voice of the manager caught her attention.

"Just a cappuccino," the man's voice rumbled and seemed to go straight through Lexi. Her mouth parted and eyes widened as she looked at his suit clad back and his brown tousled hair.

"Stay or to go?"

"To go, thank you."

"It won't be too long." The lady took his money and gave him his change, which he put into the tip jar. He put his hands in his pockets and stepped back.

It was as if the world was turning in slow motion. Lexi watched as his blue eyes glanced around the comfortable café. Something caught his eye out the window, and he turned. The sunlight hit his face, making his features look a touch softer and even more perfect to the girl whose mouth turned dry. She licked her lips in the hopes to create saliva and snap herself out of her daze.

She stood up, balled her hands into fists and approached him step by step. She wished she wore a nice dress instead of a humble shirt and jeans. Her hand smoothed over her hair, and she came to a stop behind him.

"Excuse me," her voice wavered, she squeezed her eyes closed at the sound.

"Yes?" he turned around and looked down at the girl who barely reached his chest.

"Um," she cleared her throat. "You probably don't remember me, but a few months ago you helped me when I was a bit... drunk and unable to get myself home." She inwardly cursed herself  for being so embarrassing.

"Oh, yes, I recall." He looked at her again and furrowed his brows. "You're the Callahans' stepsister, yes?"

Her big green eyes blinked up at him. "You know the Callahans?"

"Yes." 

"Sir, here's your coffee." The lady smiled and set his cup down.

"Thank you," he murmured and picked the cup up before turning to Lexi. "If you'll excuse me."

"Please wait!" Lexi called and stopped him in his tracks. He sighed and looked at her. "Let me pay you back for the cab fare." She hurried over to her purse and frowned when her frantic fingers couldn't find the cash she wanted.

"There's really no need." Obviously if he was in the same circle as the Callahans, he didn't need to worry about just a bit of money.

"Please," her green eyes begged him and made him sigh. He checked his watch. "I don't have the cash on me, but perhaps I can get your number and I can send it to you online or meet up with you and pass it on." She bit her lip. "Please, you saved me that night. Who knows what would have happened if you hadn't passed? My conscience would nag at me if I didn't pay you back."

He glanced at his watch then out the window. "Alright, fine." He gave her his number and walked off while Lexi was basking in her victory. Her lips stretched into a smile, and she couldn't wait to tell her friends about it. Especially Gabrielle.

Stella's brows raised as she looked at the blinding grin on Lexi's face.

"I'm beginning to feel scared," Robert drawled as he watched her starry eyes.

"So am I, Brother," she murmured back. "She's only said a couple of words since coming home. I want to check and make sure she hasn't hit her head, but I'm afraid she's caught something contagious."

Robert nodded. "Don't put yourself in danger. I wouldn't know what to do if you became like... that."

Stella nodded and continued watching her stepsister as she sipped her tea. "What a strange day."

"What else happened?"

"Mr Dougal was actually a pleasant human being." She chuckled. "I also ran into Mr Van der Meer earlier. We were both in a hurry to get to a meeting."

"And?"

"And nothing, we shared a few words here or there. He's a very charming man, maybe a little too charismatic for my taste."

"If he turns out to be your fiancé, I will remind you of that."

Stella gave him the side eye. "I doubt I'm engaged to a Van der Meer."

"What makes you say that?" Robert raised his brows.

"I heard they're tied with the Orlev's daughter." Robert nodded at her words. "With the relations our family has, a Grimaldi or Von Siemens is likely."

"Well, I agree with you there. I don't think Father likes the Van der Meers all that much."

"Why is that?"

"I think they had an argument at some stage. Father said they were arrogant pricks and spoke a few other choice words. He wasn't the biggest fan of Diedrick Van der Meer."

Stella chuckled. She turned back to her dazed stepsister. "What are we going to do about this?"

"I have no idea," Robert mumbled.

"I'm here!" Gabrielle's voice echoed around the space making Lexi perk up even more. "What was so urgent I had to be here as soon as possible?"

"I found him!" Lexi exclaimed, eyes bright and smile wide.

"Who?" Robert and Stella furrowed their brows.

"Mr Pale Blue Eyes."

Gabrielle's brows raised as she looked to Lexi. "Did you get a name?"

Lexi's face dropped and she slapped her forehead. "Damn it!"

Gabrielle laughed. "You're a mess."

"I forgot, but I got his number!" She held her phone up. She explained what happened at the café. "I didn't want to keep him any longer and this seemed like the only solution, but at least I have a way to contact him now."

Robert raised a brow.

"Play it cool, Lexi." Gabrielle's brows furrowed. "Be careful too, you still don't know anything about him."

Stella nodded. "If you meet up with him, make sure it's in public or have someone with you."

"Of course! I'm not dumb." She rolled her eyes.

"Debatable," Robert muttered under his breath. A smack rang out. His hand came up to rub his arm with an exaggerated expression. "Ow, Stella Marie! Don't hit."

"Be nice, she's just excited."

"Did he say much about it?" Gabrielle asked. "Did he remember you?"

"He said he did." Lexi flushed. "It's so embarrassing. I met him when I was so drunk." She bit her lip and decided to keep to herself that he knew the Callahans. If she told them they would probably lecture her about their societal nonsense. He's most likely a normal guy who does business with them. She shrugged and giggled. "I'm really excited."

Gabrielle laughed. "We can see that. When are you going to contact him?"

"In a few days. I'll ask him to meet up for coffee. One of the girls suggested a bar but we all shot that down. That's pretty suggestive."

"And you're also underage." Robert rolled his eyes.

"I drink with you guys." She shrugged.

"That's because you're with the Callahans at The Spirit." Gabrielle raised her brows. "You go out with just me and I guarantee they won't serve you. The Callahans are on most VIP lists."

"So, if I changed my name to Callahan, I could do whatever I wanted?"

"Theoretically." She shrugged. "As long as you're willing to answer to Mrs Ida."

"You won't be able to change your name to Callahan," Stella drawled. "The only way to do that is with Grandmamma's permission and I doubt she would give it."

Robert nodded.

"Why not?"

"Wanting the name just so you can buy alcohol isn't exactly a reason to take our name and abandon yours." Robert shrugged. "Besides, you haven't been here for very long."

"My mom's a Callahan now."

"That's in name only."

"So then how is it any different to your mother?" Her brows pulled together.

Robert sighed. "Our mother was going to be a family head. She had the knowledge. It takes a lot to be matriarch. Now, if something happened to Father, the next head of the family would be me and if something happened to me it would go to Stella."

"Oh..." Lexi pursed her lips in thought.

RIP Taylor Hawkins
Drummer for the Foo Fighters and singer and drummer for Taylor Hawkins and the Coattail Riders.

2022 has not been a good year for the music industry, also having lost Mark Lanegan who was a solo musician and also the lead singer of The Screaming Trees and collaborator with Queens of the Sone Age and many other musicians. 

Stay safe out there.
Howard xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

921K 23.4K 42
After an unfortunate turn of events due to which Avery Marshall is forced to marry the ruthless and notorious billionaire Hayden Knight, she hopes w...
8.8M 213K 52
• 𝗚𝗼𝗼𝗱 𝗴𝗶𝗿𝗹𝘀 𝗴𝗼 𝘁𝗼 𝗵𝗲𝗮𝘃𝗲𝗻, 𝗯𝗮𝗱 𝗴𝗶𝗿𝗹𝘀 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗯𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗵𝗲𝗮𝘃𝗲𝗻 𝘁𝗼 𝘆𝗼𝘂• || MATURE CONTENT 18+|| In which a twen...
93.8K 5.4K 40
(Can Be Read As A Standalone) They took everything from me. My parents, my sister, my dreams, my sanity. My mission is simple. Destroy those who des...
59.3K 1.5K 39
"I love you so much, darling. But you need to learn that you won't be going anywhere. You're mine." With that being said, his other hand slides down...