A Storm of Flames and Deceit

By yourlocalsag

Nephele Speirling is the only daughter of Hybern's Grand General, the most powerful man on the isle and the s... More

Prologue
I. Full
II. Easy Trade
III. Corruption
IV. Satisfied
V. Quite the Impression
VI. Top of the World
VII. I Hope I'm Right
VIII. Bon Voyage
IX. Just the Mystery
X. Bitterly
XI. Death is a Woman
XII. Sunnier
XIII. Good Taste
Intermission
XIIV. Head in the Clouds
XIV. Contingency
XV. Instinct and Desire
XVI. Pull Me In
XVII. Liberation
XVIII. Only Snow
XIX. Put It On My Tab
XX. You Can't Script This
XXI. Walk Across the Sky
XXII. Grounded in Reality
XXIII. Electrical Fire
XXIV. With What Is Unsaid
XXV. On Fire For You
XXVI. There Are Lights
XXVII. Splitting
XXVIII. Queen Mongering
XXIX. Thawed
Intetmission
XXX. Oasis
XXXI. I Refuse
XXXII. Horizon
XXXIII. Reversion
XXXIV. Get Even
XXXV. I'm Not Afraid of the Fight
XXXVI. Sweeter Tomorrow
XXXVII. Smile Like a Saint
XXXVIII. True Magic
XXXIX. Tranquility
XXXX. Altared
XXXXI. Of Course, It Was an Act
XXXXII. Home
XXXXIII. Substantiation
XXXXIV. When the Day Comes
XXXXV. A Bit of Truth
XXXXVI. Sweet as Poison
XXXXVII. Compromise
XXXXVIII. Sweet Dreams
XXXXIX. Burn the Throne
XXXXX. Sooner
XXXXXI. Locking Me Out
Intermission
Part II
Prologue
1. Blind Sided
2. As Good A Time As Any
3. In a Heartbeat
4. More Than Just a Bond
5. Separation Anxiety
6. Unstoppable
7. Sweeping Silence
8. In Ordinance
9. Under the Blood Moon
10. You're the Sun
11. Even When I Want to Hate You
12. Such Conversation
13. Annotations
14. You Cannot Force the Stars to Align
15. A Weak Woman
16. Kid in Love
17. Zoned Out
18. From the Commotion
19. Albeit Passionate
20. As We March On
21. A Fighting Chance
22. Lose This Crowd
23. The Role
24. Good Deeds
25. Bad Things
26. Payment Enough
27. To Conquer
28. Eternal Flame
29. Shackled
30. Not Caring
31. Like We'll Never Have Sex
32. Damned Day
33. Painless
34. There Was An Oracle
35. Save For Eternity
36. The Price
37. Counting Down the Days
38. Gilded Goodnight
39. Blind Sided
40. Prints
41. Skull Crushing
42. Sympathies
43. Past Deceit
44. Firestorm
45. My Nephele
46. Clear
47. Lightning Itself
48. Storm Inside
49. Heart of Diamond
50. Beauty in Strength
Aesthetics Check
51. Mannerless
52. Bespelled
53. Lightning Bugs
54. In Vain
56. Branded
57. Between the Three of Us
58. Fire and Rain
59. Mud Washes Away
60. Long Live
Epilogue
Ending Note

55. Lawless Island

435 16 3
By yourlocalsag

Eris

"He truly didn't have to come, you know?" Jurian says to Neph as if I'm not even there on this godforsaken island that somehow birthed the most beautiful thing in the world. Said beautiful thing was here to introduce herself to the island that indeed knows so much about her already.

She was something of myth and legend here, revered for the storm she had erupted when she was freed of captivity. Not nearly as fierce as the word her haggish grandmother- Cathilda- spread across the isle of her Oracle, that a Speirling would rise to power, that her vision seems to favor Neph.

I'm glad to hear at least one of Neph's family members isn't completely demonic... though the woman does eat rats alive.

"Yes he did," Neph snorts. "He would've sulked something fierce if we made him stay behind."

"I'm just saying," Jurian shrugs at my irritated glare. "The people here won't give a rat's ass about the High Lord of Autumn."

I shrug. "I'm to be the consort of Creagach," I remind him. "I can smile and wave just fine."

Jurian snorts. "I'd like to see that."

The other truth of it is that being here makes me feel better. I'm not sure I could bare to be across oceans when Neph's boots are on the same soil that he father has the power to turn against her. I'm fully aware she has saved my ass more times than I have saved her, that she's a far cry from a damsel in distress....

But I need to be around her. It's a protectiveness I can't put into words. It's a sad and pathetic thing, but it is what it is. And I think some part of Neph knows that.

"Perhaps if they crown me queen, I'll let you throw my coronation, Dear," Neph snorts to reduce me to such idle and remedial work. "I know nothing prods your mind quite like floral arrangements and table cloths."

"Cute," I say dryly before turning to Jurian. "You said this village wasn't far?"

Jurian nods. "It's somewhat of a hidden thing," he explains. "A precaution for when Hybern was recruiting lesser fae to fight his wars. There was a long gone witch that gifted a Haven to the people."

"Does my father know it exists?" Neph asks.

"If he does, he wouldn't bother try to seize control," Jurian says. "These fae could make pebbles of his soldiers if they intended to. And they would never willingly follow him. His best strategy would be to leave them in isolation."

My brow furrows. "And how did you come to know of this place?"

Jurian laughs. "I may be the mortal among us, but I'm older than the both of you," he points out. "I know secrets of the land that you might not even begin to guess, Fireling."

"Why should these people want to hear me?" Neph asks. "It would seem they have something pretty good going for them in their isolation."

"Their population grows," Jurian answers. "They might like to have a place beyond the borders of their wards. And despite what people think of lesser fae, they aren't beneath morals- morals that your father blatantly abandons, might I add."

"And what of the wealthy land gluttons on the isle?" I ask. "Even if we were to sway the lesser fae, the wealthy still hold a good chunk of the land. I don't imagine they'd align with us."

"They don't have to," Jurian replies. "When Fergus is defeated, they will fall with him, and Nephele may return the land back to the lesser fae and the mortals. People who would respect the covenant of the isle."

Neph tilts her head. "You've given this a lot of thought."

Jurian shrugs. "I've been fighting this war for centuries," he explains. "I'd like to see it finished."

...

Walking through the wards is a bizarre feeling. First: nothing, pine trees and rocky soil. Then: huts of stone, steaming fire pits, a town circle of cobble stone. Fae walk about in forms I had never seen before, some animalistic, some botanical, some other worldly. All in perfect harmony, even with the mortals in their mix, none shackled or slaved.

It was an oasis.

Nobody pays us any mind as we materialize through the border, but Neph looks just about as rocked as I do. Only a lone woman with purpled skin and long, white hair seems to care of our arrival, approaching Jurian.

"Leyte," Jurian greets her. "I have brought the woman Cathilda prophesied about. The one I spoke that hailed lighting."

Leyte looks over Neph in a way that makes me fidgety and restless. "Are we sure this is the enchantress Cathilda spoke of?" She asks skeptically, likely noticing that Neph isn't nowhere near as terrifying as her grandmother- and thank the gods for that.

Neph holds Leyte's gaze, not letting her harshness put a damper on her casual expression, her soft and generous smile. "I know," Neph clicks her tongue. "Beautiful and powerful? It's hardly fair." Jurian and I exchange a look of worry.

"Funny too," Leyte tilts her head, her coyote eyes. She was half terrifying, half beautiful. So no, I did not like her looking at Neph. "I wonder if that big mouth of yours will be enough to call everyone to the square."

Thunder cracks, Neph's mouth twitching in a smile as the town circle collectively jumped. "I've found that no matter how much I may run my mouth," she looks skyward, lightning sheeting across the clouds. "The sky speaks volumes louder."

Leyte looks at Neph, something between disdain and respect in her black eyes as she inclined her head. "Come," she says statically. "I'll show you to town hall."

Leyte begins to walk in the other direction, Jurian at her heels, and as Neph passes me by, she pauses, slipping onto her toes to whisper in my ear, "you reek of arousal," before moving past me.

...

Town hall is the tallest building in the clearing, nearly as tall as the trees that surround the oasis, that obscure the huts and homes beyond the central circle. Nephele is led onto a platform, townsfolk gathering around to survey the newcomers. Jurian, they seem to already know, but I catch more than one child pointing to my auburn hair and muttering to their parents how it resembles the pelt of a fox.

I could laugh if Neph weren't on a platform right now.

Leyte reminds the townsfolk of Cathilda's tale, and I find myself grappling with the surprise that they had let the terrifying woman into the town in the first place to tell such a tale. "This woman bares the lightning of her father," Leyte closes. "And she has come today to convince us that she will use it to defeat him on our behalves."

"I want to convince you of more than that," Nephele addresses the crowd. I stand off to the side, watching the whole engagement, and I can't help the pride I feel. Neph never would've called herself a leader, but she was her compassion. No one could deny that diamond heart beating in her chest.

"You, as a people, as a collective, as a townscape, have seen entirely too much tyranny," Neph explains. "You have put down because of your blood. You have been put down because of the heart that pumps that blood. You have been cowed into this place of secret and wondrous beauty, and you have made a settlement of your own. I wouldn't dare condescend you my offering vengeance at the price of your own freedom."

Leyte's brow furrows, but I can already tell where Neph is going with this. Her next move is something I can't not pay attention to. I have to know her in every capacity, like predicting the unpredictable. Predicting where lightning will strike.

"I compiling a parliament," Nephele says. "Only a tyrant would seek to seize a vacuum of power and rule by their lonesome. What I offer you folks- and the folks of infinite towns and infinite villages across the isle- is representation."

The crowd resembles confusion, some muttering about. "You will appoint a representative from this place, and they will vote on behalf of your voices, vote on legislation across the isle," she explains. "And they will see that the voices of the small are heard. I will see that you are heard."

Now... now the crowd is silent. And as Neph turns to Leyte, I see confusion in her sparkling eyes too, a mouth agape. "I make only one recommendation to you all- but the choice is ultimately yours," she says. "I think this woman would do excellently in parliament."

Leyte blinks. "Me?"

Neph nods. "You were perfectly skeptical of me as we met," she says. "It's quite clear that you care about these people deeply. I'm sure they would agree."

There's some murmurs of agreement, some cheers and chants for Leyte. "And what would you do?" Leyte asks Neph quietly. "The prophecy called for a crown upon the head of a Speirling."

"A crown isn't, in and of itself, a source authority- this I've come to know as of late," she glanced at me, a soft smile. "It is protecting an oath, a promise to the people. It is being what they need of you. It is listening and giving others a voice," she shrugs. "That is my vow to all of you: I will be your servant, your protector, your amplifier. The only responsibility I give to you all is that you hold me to that promise."

...

"I've never heard anyone quiet a crowd like that," Jurian shakes his head as we walk to the winnowing point. I'm reminded that Neph could just as easily winnow us anywhere she liked, immune to wards, but it would be better like this. No one should know Neph lacks the weaknesses that most have- they might start to look for other weaknesses to exploit instead.

"Get used to it," Neph rolls her eyes. "I'm offering you a position."

Jurian's brow furrows. "I'm sorry?"

"I expect any parliament might require a mediator," Neph says, her hand in mine. "Someone beyond bias, who cares for the betterment of the land in general. Someone who might preside over arguments, who might break ties or squash feuds."

"And you'd give that job to me?" Jurian raises a brow. "A mortal?"

"If you'd take it," she answers. "Even if I can manage queen, I'm still High Lady. I want to be able to do right by both of my peoples, and that would mean never being too proud to ask for help when I need it."

Jurian glances in my direction helplessly. "Don't look at me I'm just the consort," I shrug, withholding my smirk.

Jurian shakes his head. "I'd be honored," he says. "Thank you."

"Thank you," Neph replies. "Not just for bringing us here... but for never turning your back on this place. It's nice to know that people can still care for this lawless island."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57.5K 1.3K 17
Azriel, the spymaster of the Night Court, one of the most powerful Illyrians to walk Prythian. He was damaged, he was broken, and he thought himself...
362K 11.1K 63
Daemati are feared and coveted throughout Prythian. Seren Marzena is one of the few among their ranks. When her power is revealed to Beron Vanserra...
83.1K 3K 25
Auroria of House Vanserra has much more in common with Azriel, the Spymaster of the Night Court, than she could have thought - than either of them wo...
5.2K 305 48
Vel, an Oracle older than Prythian itself, visits the Autumn Court at the request of its High Lord. While there she gets swept up in the court's poli...