The Boss of Me

Von Sonu2314

Percy Jackson is a 23-year-old aspiring author. His whole life revolves around writing and his family. When h... Mehr

Synopsis + Credits
1: The News
2: The Search
3: The Warning
4: The Interview
5: The Coffee
6: The Meeting
7: The Club
8: The Foam
9: The Hate
10: The Shower
11: The Letter
12: The History
13: The Red Dress
14: The Formal
15: The Moon
16: The NO
17: The Beautiful
18: The Mock-Up
19: The Rebel
20: The Feelings
21: The Kiss
22: The Relationship
23: The Secret
25: The Resignation
26: The Good
27: The Pursuit
28: The Party
29: The Answer
30: The Mission
31: The Statement
32: The Business
33: The Perfect Balance
Thank U, Next

24: The Choices

2.4K 45 112
Von Sonu2314

Percy POV

"HOW DARE YOU TRY TO DATE MY DAUGHTER?" Athena spat venomously. 

Octavian's infuriating smile grew more while he gazed at me. I had no idea how he found out, but I was confident that he told everyone else in this room. I closed the door behind me and walked toward the group. 

"Annabeth and I don't need anyone's input about our relationship. We're happy together," I said firmly.

"You're a distraction, and I won't have it," Athena countered. 

The air in the room was thick with tension. I was near the center of the room, and everyone's angry stares pierced from all around. 

"My daughter will NOT associate with the bastard son of Poseidon. Annabeth and you are not meant to be."

"Relax, Athena. That's why we're here," Poseidon affirmed. He stomped next to me and pulled me into the chairs across the desk. Athena was right in front of me, and her glare felt like knives against my skin. Poseidon took the seat next to me, effectively kicking Octavian into a standing position. 

"Here's the deal, Perseus. You are committed to Rachel Elizabeth Dare. You will not be dating any other woman because you will marry Rachel. Am I clear?" Poseidon asked. 

"NO. NO WAY. Why would I listen to you?"

"You'll listen to him if you care about Annabeth Chase," Mr. Damien Dare spoke up. "You may not have grown up in the business world, but you must know enough about it."

Mr. Dare and Rachel approached the desk. I watched Rachel from the corners of my eyes. Her head was downcast, and she seemed helpless. I don't want to blame Rachel for the situation because she's stuck just like me. 

"Titan Industries is growing in power. The only way to solidify Olympus's dominance is through a union between Olympus and Dare," Mr. Dare continued. "Of course, Poseidon, the deal is off if you can't uphold your end of the bargain."

"I don't intend on backing down. The union will proceed, Damien." 

"NO, IT WON'T," I snapped while rising to my feet. My hands clenched into fists as I separated myself from them. "I don't care that you found out about Annabeth and me. I am not betraying my relationship with her. I don't care what you do to me."

Poseidon started chuckling in a very sarcastic way. I hate him. 

"Perseus, no one will do anything to you. However, exposing your relationship will greatly damage Annabeth Chase's reputation. She might even lose her company," Poseidon explained. 

My gaze flitted to Athena. 

"Why would Athena let that happen?" I asked logically. 

Athena smiled while continuing to glare at me. "First of all, anything is better than my daughter associating with you. My company will not mesh with Olympus Sails. Secondly, I would simply have my daughter transferred to the international HQ in Tokyo." 

"You can't do that," I protested. "Annabeth loves her company here. She works very hard for success, and she cares for her employees." 

"Third, I believe you'll do the right thing," Athena finished. 

Poseidon snapped his fingers at Octavian, who immediately stepped forward with an IPad. There were a few pictures open on the tablet. My father handed me the tablet. 

My eyes widened while looking at the pictures. There were a few pictures all from the same day. It showed me and Annabeth kissing near her desk. Annabeth was holding a copy of my novel. It was from her birthday. I couldn't help myself from kissing her that day because I was so happy about my novel's publication and my relationship. 

From the looks of it, the hidden camera must've been positioned on one of the shelves near the front of Annabeth's office. Her bookshelf had a secret camera. 

"How did you get these?" I asked frantically. 

"That doesn't matter," Athena snapped. 

Octavian smirked, so I knew that he was behind this. He had been spying on me for a while, but I would've never guessed a spy camera in Annabeth's office and secret pictures. How could Athena do this to her daughter? Well, my father was doing this to me. 

It's the same thing. These business people don't care about their children. They only care about success and their selfish interests. 

"Unless you want to ruin Annabeth's life, I suggest that you back away from her. I wouldn't tell her any of this either," Poseidon paused with a cruel smile. "You wouldn't want to mess with her when you'll be dating another woman." 

All of them (except Rachel) stared at me with confident smirks. They all knew that they had the leverage in this situation. I was stuck. 

I helplessly stared at the tablet pictures. 

The air suffocated me. It was like the walls of the world were closing in. Just when things were going well, it all came crashing down. 

Life is all about choices. I have two choices in front of me. 

One, I can cling to the happiness in my life and not let go. That would be a selfish choice because it would lead to Annabeth's reputation falling and a lot of pain for her. Her pride would be damaged, and that would destroy her. 

Two, I can confer on Poseidon's demands. I could leave Annabeth, which would end up destroying me. I would feel the pain. However, she would be protected. She'd move on from me after a while, and she'd still have her pristine reputation, success, and company. 

I knew what I have to do, but that didn't make it any better.

Tears stung my eyes and collapsed my soul. A part of me longed to be in my mom's embrace again. I looked back up. Pain burned my eyes and swirled my mind. 

"What's it going to be Perseus?" Poseidon asked. 

"I'll do as you all say. Just swear to leave Annabeth alone," I said quietly. My voice cracked as the emotions racked my throat. 

Octavian took the tablet again. Athena nodded at him as he stashed the IPad back into his computer bag. Mr. Dare smiled while patting his daughter's back. However, Rachel angrily pushed Mr. Dare's hand away. 

Poseidon stood and rebuttoned his suit. 

"To solidify your decision, you will go back to the social with Rachel. You will hold her hand and greet the guests together," Poseidon ordered. 

"And, you will break things off with my daughter and resign from my company," Athena added firmly. "I want you out of her life."

"Don't worry. I'd rather not be near Annabeth as I break her heart anyway," I replied. 

I stood up silently. Rachel came and stood next to me. We were both in the same situation, but I still couldn't look at her. I made no indication of movement, and Poseidon's glare narrowed on my face. Rachel gently took my hand and held it firmly. 

She was trying to help me by ripping off the bandaid. However, it only felt disgusting. My hand only belonged within Annabeth's grasp. 

I swallowed the emotions in my throat. 

Rachel and I stepped out of the office. It wasn't until we were in the hallway that I broke away from my ex-girlfriend. 

My back slouched against the wall, and I slowly slid down. 

"Percy, I'm so sorry. I wish that I could stop this, but I couldn't," Rachel expressed. "I tried so hard to stop this."

My hands wiped the tears from my eyes and face. Annabeth. I was losing the woman I love. I was being forced away from her. 

I couldn't do anything about it. Sacrifice. 

I cried into my hands while Rachel gently rubbed my arm. She couldn't comfort me though. Nothing could comfort me from the notion of losing Annabeth. 

Life isn't a fairytale. I'm an adult now. I know the world is an ambiguous place. I know that love doesn't conquer all. It conquers some stuff. The other stuff kicks the living crap out of love. I'm sacrificing my relationship and my happiness to save the woman I love.

I wish that I can be selfish. I wish that I can hold on to Annabeth and never let go. I wish that I could just screw the world. But, I can't. 

This is the reality of my life. 

***

The party was awful. Everyone noticed me walking back into the hall with Rachel. Our hands were connected even though we were thousands of miles apart. 

I avoided Annabeth all night. 

I can't imagine what she's thinking. She called me several times over the weekend, but I didn't answer. I wasn't ready to lose her. I knew that I had to break it off, but a part of me wanted to hold on for as long as possible. 

It's not fair to Annabeth, but it's the truth. 

"Grover, how do you love Juniper?" I asked quietly. I felt bad about asking the question, but I couldn't hold it in any longer.

"Percy, I know that something happened at the social. Let's leave my relationship with Juniper out of this and focus on what happened," Grover said. 

I nodded in agreement. 

We were walking in the park. It was a hot, sunny day. Puffy marshmallow clouds were floating in the sky, and a light breeze whistled through the trees. It was like the world was taunting me. How can it look so beautiful when I'm feeling so terrible?

"They're making me break up with Annabeth," I said quietly. I sniffled before clearing my throat again. 

"What do you mean? How's that possible?"

"I love her, Grover. I love her so much, and that's why I have to break it off with her. They're threatening her reputation and her company," I explained. I started relaying the events of the last few months, which came to a highlight on Friday. 

"Is there anything you can do?" Grover asked hesitantly. 

"No. I've been mulling it over and over in my head, but I have no solution. They're too powerful, and they have all the leverage," I paused. "It's not Rachel's fault either because she's trying to stop this as much as I am."

"I don't know what to say. I feel bad," Grover murmured. 

Sometimes, I'm jealous of Grover. He lives a much simpler life than I do. He doesn't have dead parents, siblings with cancer, or ultimatums against the woman he loves. I would never want to swap lives with him because I wouldn't want my pain on him. 

However, Grover never judges me for my life. He only tries to help make it better. I was so grateful for a best friend like him. 

We sat on a park bench to rest for a while. 

"Anyway, did you set a time for your wedding?" I asked. I wanted to change the subject even though this topic wasn't making me feel any better. 

"Let's not talk about my marriage right now," Grover said, reading my mind. 

Grover patted my shoulder. My right leg wouldn't stop shaking as I looked around the park. I couldn't even distract myself because my thoughts kept coming back to Annabeth. My mind was already made, but I didn't want to follow through. 

The blackmail pictures of me and Annabeth intimidated me. So much was at stake. I don't matter as much Annabeth does. 

A whole company relies on Annabeth as their boss. Destroying Annabeth's reputation would also be damaging her company. There was too much at stake to make a selfish choice. 

"I wish that time could freeze. I don't want tomorrow to arrive," I said aloud. 

"You can't prolong the pain, Percy. You don't have a choice. You have to break things off with Annabeth in order to save her from degradation. If you love her-"

"It's because I love her that this is so hard."

"I know," Grover whispered. He embraced me while rubbing my back. I appreciated his support, but it didn't comfort me. 

Nothing could comfort me right now. 

Tomorrow is the big day. It's the day that my life falls into darkness. I'll be quitting my job, and I'll be saying goodbye to Annabeth. 

I'm not ready to face tomorrow. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The human life is made up of choices. Yes or No. Love or Hate. Live or Die. That's an important choice, and it's not always in our hands." - Grey's Anatomy (one of my favorite shows). I hope that ya'll are enjoying this story.

Check out all my other stories if you haven't already.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE: READ + VOTE + SHARE + COMMENT + FOLLOW

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

236K 6.3K 17
What happens when the girls turn into kittens? Who will be their owners? Will love bloom? Well duh! I mean come on! Nalu, Gajevy, Gruvia, Jerza, Rowe...
115K 2.1K 34
There were a lot of things that drove me crazy about the selection so I'm rewriting it. My way.
2.1K 97 6
Mike Schmidt x Female Reader After recalling an incident at Freddy Fazbear's Pizza in your youth, you decide to go back to get closure. Along the way...
155K 3.2K 44
Nov. 5, 2021 update: restricted (mature content) chapters published as a separate work have been unpublished and won't be accessible. ****ALTERNATE...