Odd One Out

By secretstothewind

Oddball Mabel has always been quirky. Maybe it's due to the fact that she was homeschooled or perhaps it was... More

Chapter One - Her Moans
Chapter Two - His Laugh
Chapter Three - Her Stomach
Chapter Four - His Guidance
Chapter Five - Her Training
Chapter Six - His Defence
Chapter Seven - Her Determination
Chapter Eight - His Teachings
Chapter Nine - Her Self Care
Chapter Ten - His Night Out
Chapter Eleven - Her Practice
Chapter Twelve - His Hurting Heart
Chapter Thirteen - Her Plan
Chapter Fourteen - His Personalized Emojis
Chapter Fifteen - Her Wake Up Call
Chapter Sixteen - His First Aid Training
Chapter Seventeen - Her Driving Instructor
Chapter Eighteen - His Shopping
Chapter Nineteen - Her Answers
Chapter Twenty - His Crappy Feelings
Chapter Twenty One - Her Prep
Chapter Twenty Two - His Feelings
Chapter Twenty Three - Her Date
Chapter Twenty Four - His Friends
Chapter Twenty Five - Her Interrogation
Chapter Twenty Six - His Parenting Techniques
Chapter Twenty Seven - Her Hangout
Chapter Twenty Eight - His Decision
Chapter Twenty Nine - Her Family Gathering
Chapter Thirty - His Snooping
Chapter Thirty One - Her Confrontation
Chapter Thirty Two - His Dog
Chapter Thirty Four - His Kiss
Chapter Thirty Five - Her Intervention
Chapter Thirty Six - His Memory
Chapter Thirty Seven - Her Confession
Chapter Thirty Eight - His Love
Chapter Thirty Nine - Her Late Night Visits
Chapter Forty - His Surprise
Chapter Forty One - His Guilt
Chapter Forty Two - Her Conviction
Chapter Forty Three - His Sleeping Arrangements
Chapter Forty Four - Her Visitor
Chapter Forty Five - His Overactive Dog
Chapter Forty Six - Her Phone Call
Chapter Forty Seven - His Visitor
Chapter Forty Eight - Her Permission
Chapter Forty Nine - His Letter
Chapter Fifty - Her Love; His Love

Chapter Thirty Three - Her Dinner

3.2K 231 19
By secretstothewind

I played the radio in my truck on my way to Mabel's parents house but it did nothing to drown out the incessant beating of my heart. It had been a while since I'd seen Mabel - I'd drop Marco off when she was out and vice versa.

I could safely say it had been a crappy several days.

Logically, I knew that I could have left Marco with Mabel until she got back from her parents' in a couple days, but I had already missed seeing her when I was supposed to pick Marco up. Then some idiot decided to start a street race on a highway which meant the moron crashed into another car who crashed into two other cars. I hated being a fire fighter sometimes. It meant my job always came first even if there was nothing I wanted more than to see Mabel's smiling face.

It did something to me whenever I saw her. She was just so precious to me. But after hearing Jackson pretty much profess his love for her, I knew I couldn't tell her anything. She didn't deserve any difficulty in life and if this guy was good to her and seemed as into her as she was into him, I had no right to step in between that. What did I expect anyway? She got the guy she wanted. She'd want nothing to do with me in that way.

I parked my truck on the side of the street and hopped out, walking to the address that Mabel had sent me.

As I approached the brick structure, I noticed a flash of red hair rushing over to me.

"Marcus!" Mabel squealed as she ran out the front door and smashed into my chest. My arms automatically wrapped around her curvy frame as hers reciprocated the gesture. "You're here!"

I tightened my grip on her for a moment before moving my head back a decibel of a portion to take in her expression. Her beautiful hair was let out, curls wild in their glory; her full lips curling upwards, but those eyes, those goddamn Bambi eyes that always drew me in is where my gaze stopped.

"Are you okay?" I asked in concern.

"Am I okay? Are you okay?" Her arms moved from around my waist to pat around my shoulders but I had no idea what she was looking for. "You just fought a fire. I get that's what you do, but I actually saw this fire on the news and it was horrible. I'm so glad you're safe." Her eyes were shining with unshed tears and I realized for the umpteenth time how much Mabel cared. For her friends, for me, even for my dumb dog.

"I'm fine," I laughed, my arms still around her waist as she looked up at me with her grinning face. I thought I saw her eyes flicker to lips for just a moment and even though I tried to convince myself I was imagining things, I knew that I would always notice where her eyes focused. I couldn't tear my eyes away from them.

She cleared her throat and dropped her arms from around me and I noticed for the first time that she didn't have a jacket on. I shrugged mine off quickly and draped it over her shoulders.

"So," She began, licking her lips. "Do you feel prepared to meet my parents? Because I'm warning you, if you thought I was a lot, they're like Mabel hopped up on crack. I feel for you, really. This isn't going to be a meeting that's easy for you to repress."

I chuckled at her as she led us inside her house, "I think I'll be fine. I'm excited to see where the hell you came from."

As if on cue, a furious blush crept onto her cheeks  and I smirked at the reaction. I loved that I could make her blush still.

"Welcome to the mad house," Mabel replied as she pushed the door open. "Mom? Dad?" She paused looking around the empty home. "Marco?"

Mabel grabbed onto my hand and I curled my fingers around hers as she pulled me into her home. I saw the walls lined up with family photos, Mabel's grinning face present in each one and I found myself lost in her hypnotizing smile and bright eyes for the thousandth time.

How the hell this girl thought she needed my help getting someone to notice her was beyond me. I definitely noticed the looks she got and if she was worried that people didn't think she was beautiful or worth meeting, she couldn't have been more off base. If anything, guys just didn't think they had a shot with her. Hell, I didn't think I had a shot with her.

"Harold, you have a bad back. You can't be climbing ladders like you're in your twenties again," I heard a voice coming from the living room.

I walked in to see Mabel's dad standing on a ladder with stringed lights and her mom anchoring the ladder to the floor with both of her hands.

"I'm fine, Jean. I have the same agility as when I was twenty. Do you need proof?" He asked, winking.

"Gross," Mabel complained as she walked into the room, letting my hand go in the process.

"Did we not just talk about your jokes, Harold?" Mabel's mom snapped. "I swear, sometimes I wonder what goes through your mind-"

"-Mom?" Mabel interrupted but her mom kept going.

"-Mabel's here for the first time in a year and you just won't shut up-"

"-Mom?" Mabel tried again to no avail.

"-I'm trying! It comes naturally!" Her dad defended.

"Mom! Dad!" Mabel shouted, "There's company," She hissed.

Her dad turned around on the ladder quickly and met my eyes before tripping on the rim and falling flat on his back.

"Harold!" Mabel's mom gasped as she reached down and grabbed for his arm as he groaned in pain.

"Dad?" Mabel questioned as she moved towards him to look at him still lying on the floor. "Can you move?"

He nodded, wincing as he attempted to move. "Just take a minute," I advised as I stepped closer. His previously shut eyes were now wide and taking me in.

"My back, young man, is as good as it's ever been," He breathed out as he attempted and failed to sit up.

"I don't doubt it," I agreed with him. "Do you mind if I take a look?"

He scoffed but his wife answered for him, "If you don't mind."

I nodded, "Of course." I rolled my sleeves up and bent down to check on Harold's back. I gently padded the area to check for abnormalities as he glared at me.

"What are you? A masseuse?" He asked me begrudgingly.

"Unfortunately not," I replied. "I'm a firefighter and heavily trained in first aid. I'm Marcus by the way."

His eyes flashed to Mabel who was watching us with worried eyes. I gave her a reassuring smile, "You seem fine. An ice pack on for a few minutes before switching to a heat pad for a few minutes would help with the pain."

I stood back up and reached down with a hand to help him up slowly, gripping on his arm so he didn't have to put all his weight onto his lower half as he glared at me.

"Thank you, Marcus," Mabel's mom smiled at me. I helped Harold onto the couch before she reached over to me with an outstretched hand. "I'm Jean."

"Nice to meet you," I smiled back at her, shaking her hand.

"Are you okay, dad?" Mabel asked.

He shot me a look, "I've never been better. I don't know what Marcus is talking about. I'm not in pain. I've never been this healthy in my life."

"Please sit down, Marcus," Jean gestured to the couch as I sat. Mabel sat next to me and Harold noticed this with a grimace. "How lucky you were here."

"So who is this, Mabel?" Harold questioned, his gaze fixed on me.

"This is my neighbour and Marco's dad. He's picking him up because he was out fighting a fire, dad. Because he's a firefighter and an important part of all communities, right?" She asked harshly.

He rolled his eyes, "Of course. But just so you know, young man, I can still find you and inflict some damage, even though you are a firefighter, should you do anything to my Mabel."

"Oh lord, Harold," Jean rolled her eyes in return.

"Dad!" Mabel protested.

"I have a gun somewhere," Harold interjected.

"You do not," Jean chortled.

"Jean!" Harold protested.

"I swear, I have no intention of ever harming Mabel. I would never forgive myself if I did," I reassured him and I saw him visibly relax slightly.

Mabel stood up abruptly, "Well, Marcus needs to take Marco."

"So soon?" Jean asked just as I heard Harold mutter "It's about time." Followed by an oomph as Jean elbowed him. Jean continued, "stay for dinner! I made roast beef!"

"Ugh he feels terrible," Mabel complained as she clutched onto my upper arm and tugged me upwards until I stood up. She dragged me out of the room calling behind her, "He's so sad he has to go and it's so nice to meet all of you and you've been such great hosts!"

She dragged me out to the foyer and I laughed at her small hand on my bicep, enjoying the fact that she thought she could physically drag me anywhere. I assumed she didn't know she could get me to go anywhere as long as she held onto me.

"What are you laughing at? I just saved you the most awkward dinner of your life," Mabel whispered as she grabbed my jacket and shoved it against my chest.

"I was quite enjoying myself actually," I responded, still hyper aware at how close she stood in front of me. My heart was beating quicker at the mere sight of her.

She crossed her arms in frustration, "Fine. Kicking you out is for my sake. I don't need you having any more dirt on me than you already do. My parents will be seared into your brain for eternity."

I smiled at her, loving the fact that she cared what I thought about her. I reached my hand forward to wrap it around her arm. Her eyes shot to mine as a pink flush graced her cheeks. "Dinner sounds great."

She gaped at me, "Dinner? Are you nuts? You're not invited to dinner."

I used my thumb to trace circles gently on her upper arm as my hand stayed lightly grasped. I swear I saw her shudder slightly. "Are you sure about that?"

She shook her head slightly, "O-of course."

"You don't want me to stay?" I asked.

"No, that's not it ex-"

"-Perfect," I cut her off, leaning forward slightly as I gazed at her perfectly plump lips. Her tongue darted out to lick her lips gently and I stood mesmerized. What I would like to do with that tongue. My eyes returned back to hers as she stared at me with wider eyes than I'd ever seen on her, her emerald eyes shimmering. "I love roast beef," I whispered as I let go of her arm and took a step back.

"Wha-" She asked in confusion as she stared from my lips to me. I smirked slightly at the fact that I could get some reaction out of her.

"Dinner?" I asked as I grabbed her hand, intertwining our fingers and walked back into the living room.

"You're staying!" Jean cheered as we stepped back in.

I looked at Mabel who appeared more confused than ever before.

"Hurray," Harold cheered sarcastically followed by an oomph as Jean jabbed him again. "Jean! My back!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

331K 11.8K 46
"And it took me a while to realize it, but everything I've had to go through in this life, all the pain and sadness I've had to bear . . . well, its...
35.2K 1.9K 29
"In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you." ...
145 4 23
*COMPLETED. HIGHEST RANK: #8 in guybestfriend (10/6/19). Upon returning home from college for summer break, Ava finds that her hometown has changed j...
365 19 24
This story follows Katie through the final months of her senior year in high school. Her nonexistent relationship with her mother doesn't stop her fr...