Professional Stand-in, With a...

By ZelineJohnson

Author: Yuan Yao Ji Fanyin realized when she moved that she is a substitute, a substitute for her younger twi... More

1 - Because You Like Me, Don't You?
2 - You Aren't Your Younger Sister
3 - Unworthy of Love
4 - One Last Time
5 - He's Just Deceiving Himself
6 - Men. Tsk. Tsk
7 - Expanding the List of Clients
8 - My Apologies, You Are?
9 - Who Is It?
10 - You Want Me to Reciprocate Your Feelings?
11 - Who Else Bought You?
12 - I'm Getting Off Work Now
13 - I Don't Accept Refunds
14 - Golden Fish Number Two
15 - Is There Anything You'd Like to Say?
16 - Quenching Your Thirst With Poison Will Bankrupt You
17 - It's Too Late to Apologize
18 - It's Still Something
19 - I Am a Dream Weaver
20 - Love Can Be Bought
21 - Isn't the Person You Like, Song Shiyu?
22 - Glee
23 - Are You Coming Back?
24 - She Was With You?
25 - Even Tenfold?
26 - Despicable
27 - For Free? How's That Possible?
28 - We Aren't Close
29 - None At the Moment
30 - Ten Billion Is Enough
31 - Men Can't Be Counted On
32 - You Seem Very Concerned About It
33 - It's the Jealousy Speaking
34 - Liar
35 - I Want Big Sis To Be My Girlfriend
36 - Don't Ever Get It Wrong
37 - Going Up In Smoke From Embarrassment
38 - She'll Hate Me
39 - Why Does He Call You Big Sis?
40 - I Refuse
41 - Men Are Easily Fooled
42 - Please Keep On Liking Me
43 - Doesn't Big Sis Like You?
44 - Please Transfer 1,000,000 Dollars To My Account
45 - There's No One Like You
46 - Stay Back
47 - Another Ji Fanyin Is Here
48 - Not a Date
49 - What Do You Think?
50 - Don't Forget To Pay Your Bills
51 - F5 Sect
52 - She Belongs to Me And Me Alone
53 - What About the Time You Have Spent With Me?
54 - You Want to Hold My Hand?
55 - Bidding Model
56 - She Didn't Do It On Purpose
57 - Your Big Sis Is Profiting Off You
58 - He's Blind
59 - Buy 6 Get 4 Free? Dream On
60 - You Want to Break Up?!
61 - Vixen Service
62 - Me And Him, Who Do You Choose?
63 - Have You Forgotten How You Treated Me In the Past?
64 - 100 Million Has Returned
65 - Is Asking For Her Marriage In Hand Not Considered a Promised?
66 - Ignore Him
68 - Goodbye
69 - Xinxin, What Brings You Here?
70 - What a Small World
71 - It's Not What You're Thinking!
72 - Exposed
73 - The Two of You Are Compatible
74 - I Want to Slap the Old Me
75 - Why Do It If You're Going to Regret It?
76 - None of My Business
77 - Why Didn't You Reply to My Text?
78 - I Love You Too
79 - Look Closely, Stupid!
80 - Ji Fanyin, Let's Leave This Place
81 - Were You Playing Me All This Time?
82 - Give Me Money Instead
83 - Adept At Transferring Money
84 - At Least A Few Hundred Millions
85 - What Are You Apologizing For?
86 - Feigning Obedience
87 - You Want Me To Become Ji Fanyin's Substitute?
88 - Your Acting Isn't Up to Standard
89 - I Don't Need Your Feigned Concern
90 - Should We End It Now?
91 - We're Over
92 - How Can She Compare With You?
93 - I Can't Act Her
94 - Which Ji Fanyin?
95 - The Last Dinner
96 - Don't Take Up My Offer
97 - Pay In Full Before Provision of Service
98 - When Have You Ever Had Her?
99 - No Amount Could Compensate Her
100 - Emotional Damage Compensation
101 - I'm Back
102 - I Am Allowed To Be Selfish Too, Right?
103 - Be My Friend!
104 - This Is Santorini
105 - No One Can Put It Down
106 - "So He Can Smile!"
107 - Are They A Couple?
108 - You Close Your Eyes First
109 - That's Right, There's Someone I Like, What About It?
110 - Another One?
111 - Only I Can Do It (End)

67 - I'm Terminating Our Business Relationship

2.2K 78 3
By ZelineJohnson

Ji Xinxin felt a sliver of unease the last time she returned to the country, but she was still confident that most things were in her grasp.

However, her recent decision to participate in the exchange program to her homeland was made on a spur, such that she had to rush the administrative procedures to make it on time. She ended up tiring herself out.

Shortly after she boarded the plane with the other exchange students, she fell asleep in her seat.

The young man seated beside her softly asked an air stewardess for a blanket, which he then placed over Ji Xinxin.

Transcontinental flights tend to fly at higher altitudes, so it wasn't uncommon for the cabin to get chilly.

One of the nearby students nudged the young man and said, "Liam, we're heading to Xin's hometown. You might just get to meet her parents if she invites us over to her house."

Liam glared at the student and said, "Shh. She's exhausted from rushing out the administrative procedures for this exchange. Let her rest."

"Alright, alright. The two of you are living under the same roof, I wouldn't know better than you whether she's tired or not. Hahahaha!"

There was no way a bunch of youths seated together would quieten down that easily. The nearby students curiously peered at Liam and Ji Xinxin and nodded in realization.

Liam decided to ignore them. He hesitated for a brief moment before gently placing Ji Xinxin's head against his shoulder. He took out a book he had been carrying with him and began reading it.

Ji Xinxin only woke up halfway through the flight. She rubbed her sore neck before turning toward Liam with an apologetic smile. "How long was I asleep for? Sorry. You weren't able to eat because of me, right?

"Don't worry about it," replied Liam calmly. "Are you hungry?"

"I'm alright. I can't get used to in-flight meals. The university should have lunch prepared for us when the plane lands. If not, I can bring all of you to Lakeside University's canteen. I've eaten there for four years now, so I have a strong attachment to it." Ji Xinxin looked at Liam with gentle eyes. "I'll show you my secret go-to restaurants."

Liam gently tidied up Ji Xinxin's messy hair, an action that looked both natural and intimate. "Alright. I'd be happy to try everything you're fond of."

Ji Xinxin looked at her and softly muttered, "Luckily you're still around."

"What?" Liam couldn't hear those words clearly.

"I said, now that you're in a foreign land and can't speak Mandarin, you should avoid wandering around when I'm not around," Ji Xinxin poked Liam's shoulder as she instructed.

She couldn't risk Liam meeting Ji Fanyin.

Liam was from a fairly affluent family, and Ji Fanyin appeared to be in urgent need of money for some reason. It was completely possible for her to make a move on him.

Ji Xinxin had built up many close connections over the years, be it friends, teachers, or elders, and she wasn't worried about Ji Fanyin approaching them. However, it was a different story for her quarries. She kept those quarries on her hook by maintaining a delicate balance of her attention, so she couldn't allow Ji Fanyin to approach them and satisfy their needs for money.

That was why she decided to focus her effort on those she had a romantic relationship with.

She looked at the receding background outside the plane window and took in a deep breath.

If I lose this battle, I might lose it all.

What was at stake here wasn't just her quarries. More than keeping her quarries, she wanted to prove herself.

She wanted to prove that she could defeat the current Ji Fanyin just like how she trampled all over the old 'Ji Fanyin'. She might have decided her path out of distorted admiration for the current Ji Fanyin, but she wasn't about to live in the shadows of her past.

I won't lose to anyone, not even to the Ji Fanyin of my dreams.

Upon arriving at the airport, Ji Fanyin took a cab straight to the restaurant where she was meeting Song Shiyu.

While traveling by cab, she received a notification informing her about a new post on Lakeside University's social media account. The post talked about how a group of French transfer students were due to arrive at the airport today afternoon, and several teachers and students had headed over to welcome them.

In other words, Ji Xinxin and the others are arriving later in the afternoon? Why isn't Song Shiyu heading over to fetch her then?

Ah, it must be because Lakeside University has already sent people over to fetch them. There's no way Ji Xinxin could abandon the group and leave on her own.

When the cab finally arrived at the restaurant, Ji Fanyin switched off her phone and carried her suitcase out of the cab. Then, she made her way toward the restaurant and reported the table number to the waiter.

She had arrived ten minutes earlier because she wanted to have a private chat with Song Shiyu.

Just as she had expected, Song Shiyu had already arrived. There was a menu placed in front of him, but instead of browsing through the menu, he was nervously fiddling with the bracelet on his wrist.

Upon hearing the soft rumbling sound coming from the rolling wheels of Ji Fanyin's suitcase, Song Shiyu raised his head and smiled. "You're here."

He belatedly noticed the suitcase in her hand.

"Did you stay out last night?" asked Song Shiyu.

"I just came back," replied Ji Fanyin concisely as she took a seat.

Song Shiyu was momentarily surprised by her attitude before his eyes widened in realization. He doubtfully called her name, "Ji Fanyin?"

It isn't time yet. I don't plan on starting work early.

Ji Fanyin replied with a placid "Mm" as she placed her suitcase against the wall.

Song Shiyu's eyes lit up. "Do you remember this tie clip?"

Ji Fanyin nonchalantly glanced at the tie clip. I haven't seen that I suppose....

"It's the birthday present you gave me two years ago. Don't you remember it?" Song Shiyu was stunned by Ji Fanyin's impassive response. He unbuttoned the sleeves of his shirt to reveal a bracelet. "What about this? You should remember this, right? You gave it to me as a birthday present this year."

Ji Fanyin interlocked her fingers and looked at the nervous Song Shiyu. She calmly yet cruelly burst his hopes, "Correction. That's a birthday present you've received from 'Ji Xinxin', if it's even the same one at all."

You have already shattered the one I've bought. Did you think that the significance would remain unchanged just because you secretly bought an identical one to replace it?

Song Shiyu clenched his fists.

Ji Fanyin glanced at her watch and said, "It isn't time yet. There are some things I'd like to inform you about beforehand."

Song Shiyu subconsciously straightened his posture. "What is it?"

"Your blind date went well, right? When are you intending to get married?" Ji Fanyin got straight to the point.

Song Shiyu was taken aback. He didn't understand what she was talking about. "Married? To whom?"

"Miss Chen Yunshan," answered Ji Fanyin. "Or are there other ladies who you're dating at the moment?"

"That wasn't a blind date!" Song Shiyu swiftly realized what Ji Fanyin was referring to. His upper body inclined forward out of agitation, and he hurriedly explained himself. "It was also my first time meeting her in that restaurant! My mother arranged it behind my back. We have only eaten together once!"

Ji Fanyin nonchalantly nodded before continuing with her questions, "So, how did it go?"

"We only bumped into each other during that basketball match. She was there to watch her little brother play, and I was invited by the university. I didn't send her home that day!" Song Shiyu began speaking faster and faster. "I've never met Chen Yunshan ever since. We're nothing more than acquaintances. There's also no way I could have any dates. Why would I ask you out if I'm already seeing someone else?"

"How would I know? You're someone who continues to proclaim your love for Ji Xinxin while trying to ask me out. It doesn't sound too outlandish to me that you're seeing someone else on top of that," replied Ji Fanyin as she poured herself a cup of water.

Ji Xinxin is going to return to the country today, but Song Shiyu is wasting his time by trying to explaining to me he isn't dating anyone. His actions and words have always been so detached.

"I did harbor feelings for Ji Xinxin in the past, but toward you, I also..." Song Shiyu blurted out, only for his words to screech to a halt halfway through. His mouth fell agape in shock as he belatedly realized what he was going to say.

"Pity me?" Ji Fanyin completed his sentence in his stead.

"..." Song Shiyu didn't answer.

Ji Fanyin calmly took a sip of water before placing the cup back onto the table. "I heard that Miss Chen is preparing for marriage. To avoid unnecessary complications, I've decided to terminate our business relationship."

Song Shiyu's eyes slowly dilated upon hearing those words. He answered without the slightest bit of hesitation, "I refuse."

"Hasn't Ji Xinxin returned to the country?" remarked Ji Fanyin nonchalantly. "You should go look for her. She's your white moonlight."

"Ji Fanyin!" bellowed Song Shiyu furiously.

A waiter was just about to get their order when the sudden bellow intimidated him, causing him to timidly walk away.

Ji Fanyin placed her finger on her lips and shushed him, "We're in a public place. Don't be a public nuisance."

Song Shiyu's chest rapidly expanded and contracted under the influence of his rampaging emotions. It took him a while to suppress his rage.

He furiously questioned, "What are you trying to ask me? What exactly do you want me to say? Are you waiting for me to confess that the person I like is no longer your younger sister but you?"

A question mark popped up in Ji Fanyin's head. She was about to answer with an 'Of course not', but Song Shiyu didn't give her the opportunity to answer.

"Fine! My feelings have changed! I have fallen in love with you! My feelings for you are even stronger than how I previously felt for Xinxin! You're far more important to me than she is! Are you satisfied now?!"

Despite Song Shiyu's emotional outburst, Ji Fanyin was hardly moved at all.

She calmly assessed Song Shiyu's expression while musing over his confession. Then, she laughed. "Song Shiyu, aren't you getting something wrong here?"

Song Shiyu glared at her as if he was going to eat someone whole.

"I've never wanted your feelings." Ji Fanyin waved her hand dismissively at Song Shiyu. "I've told you from the very start—I lack money. I thought that I've made things very clear. Are you still deluding yourself into believing that the 'Ji Fanyin' who has feelings for you is still around?"

"That's why I couldn't say anything to you!" exclaimed Song Shiyu with suppressed agitation. "I couldn't accept that you no longer had feelings for me. What does that make me then? I neglected you, used you, hurt you. I denied you in the past, only to helplessly fall for you now. What does this count as?!"

Ji Fanyin raised her eyebrows.

She wasn't too surprised to learn of Song Shiyu's thoughts.

Proud people had the tendency to ignore facts that made them question their own self-esteem. It was a natural defensive mechanism to protect their own sense of self. It was due to this that he interpreted Ji Fanyin's actions as an alternative method to attract his attention.

That was why he thought that Ji Fanyin's act of accepting money to become a stand-in was some way for her to preserve her own self-esteem while staying by his side.

That was why he assumed that Ji Fanyin had taken care of him while he was ill because she still had feelings for him.

That was why he believed that Ji Fanyin was just being jealous when she asked him about his blind date.

That was why he surmised that Ji Fanyin had refused to go out with him because she doubted his sincerity.

But even an elephant could be brought down by an army of ants. It was only a matter of time before his castle of lies crumbled.

"If I admit to that, wouldn't that mean that I'm a fucking idiot who fell in love with someone who's no longer in love with me?!" Song Shiyu hissed through gritted teeth. It was the first time in a long while that he had used vulgarity in front of someone else.

Ji Fanyin directed a perplexed look at him and asked, "Do you not think you are?"

------------------------------------

White moonlight refers to a person that you're fond of but is well beyond your reach, similar to a 'goddess of your dream'.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

200K 3.9K 127
Rebirth Stories #2 Title: Terminally Ill Female Lead Of An Angst Novel Went Rampant After Her Awakening Authur: Boat Ten Miles Away Disclaimer: I DO...
477K 13.2K 102
She is an ancient profound iron ladle from the cultivation realm. Since she has become a spirit, her only obsession is cultivating a fragrant and sof...
478K 21.3K 36
HIGHEST RANKING #49 IN MYSTERY/THRILLER •• Love hurts. No matter what kind of love, love still is the most painful thing. No one wants to stay and b...
217K 5.5K 28
"I don't remember much, just the loneliness and the short images of happiness. The only thing I remember vividly, was the day I died. Even with etern...