A Storm of Flames and Deceit

By yourlocalsag

Nephele Speirling is the only daughter of Hybern's Grand General, the most powerful man on the isle and the s... More

Prologue
I. Full
II. Easy Trade
III. Corruption
IV. Satisfied
V. Quite the Impression
VI. Top of the World
VII. I Hope I'm Right
VIII. Bon Voyage
IX. Just the Mystery
X. Bitterly
XI. Death is a Woman
XII. Sunnier
XIII. Good Taste
Intermission
XIIV. Head in the Clouds
XIV. Contingency
XV. Instinct and Desire
XVI. Pull Me In
XVII. Liberation
XVIII. Only Snow
XIX. Put It On My Tab
XX. You Can't Script This
XXI. Walk Across the Sky
XXII. Grounded in Reality
XXIII. Electrical Fire
XXIV. With What Is Unsaid
XXV. On Fire For You
XXVI. There Are Lights
XXVII. Splitting
XXVIII. Queen Mongering
XXIX. Thawed
Intetmission
XXX. Oasis
XXXI. I Refuse
XXXII. Horizon
XXXIII. Reversion
XXXIV. Get Even
XXXV. I'm Not Afraid of the Fight
XXXVI. Sweeter Tomorrow
XXXVII. Smile Like a Saint
XXXVIII. True Magic
XXXIX. Tranquility
XXXX. Altared
XXXXI. Of Course, It Was an Act
XXXXII. Home
XXXXIII. Substantiation
XXXXIV. When the Day Comes
XXXXV. A Bit of Truth
XXXXVI. Sweet as Poison
XXXXVII. Compromise
XXXXVIII. Sweet Dreams
XXXXIX. Burn the Throne
XXXXX. Sooner
XXXXXI. Locking Me Out
Intermission
Part II
Prologue
1. Blind Sided
2. As Good A Time As Any
3. In a Heartbeat
4. More Than Just a Bond
5. Separation Anxiety
6. Unstoppable
7. Sweeping Silence
8. In Ordinance
9. Under the Blood Moon
10. You're the Sun
11. Even When I Want to Hate You
12. Such Conversation
13. Annotations
14. You Cannot Force the Stars to Align
15. A Weak Woman
16. Kid in Love
17. Zoned Out
18. From the Commotion
19. Albeit Passionate
20. As We March On
21. A Fighting Chance
22. Lose This Crowd
23. The Role
24. Good Deeds
25. Bad Things
26. Payment Enough
27. To Conquer
28. Eternal Flame
29. Shackled
30. Not Caring
31. Like We'll Never Have Sex
32. Damned Day
33. Painless
34. There Was An Oracle
35. Save For Eternity
36. The Price
37. Counting Down the Days
38. Gilded Goodnight
39. Blind Sided
40. Prints
41. Skull Crushing
42. Sympathies
43. Past Deceit
44. Firestorm
45. My Nephele
46. Clear
47. Lightning Itself
48. Storm Inside
49. Heart of Diamond
50. Beauty in Strength
Aesthetics Check
51. Mannerless
52. Bespelled
53. Lightning Bugs
55. Lawless Island
56. Branded
57. Between the Three of Us
58. Fire and Rain
59. Mud Washes Away
60. Long Live
Epilogue
Ending Note

54. In Vain

427 25 2
By yourlocalsag

Nephele

Vassa gapes at the grandeur of the throne room, carved of hewn. "They certainly have a flare for the dramatics here," she clicks her tongue, her arm linked in mine.

"Yes, my brother in law doesn't quite know the meaning of subtlety," a familiar voice says. Nesta.

I smile, turning, but Vassa freezes. "I know you..." she says neutrally. "You glared at me when we first met."

"You'll have to forgive her," a lighter voice pipes in, the very similar but drastically different woman beside her. "She does that to everyone."

"And I know you..." Vassa weighs out. "Elain, is it?"

The woman nods, smiling bashfully. "And you're Vassa," she says. "My father spoke very fondly of you."

Vassa smiles quietly. "Yes, he spoke very fondly of the both of you too," she gives a grin to Nesta. "And don't worry. He warned me to expect a glare."

Nesta laughs. "You'll have to forgive me- it's something I'm working on," she says. "Elain, you remember Eris, don't you? This is Nephele, his wife, High Lady of Autumn."

Elian's attention slides to me. She really is pretty, even if she broke my brother- in- law's heart. I know she didn't quite mean to. She bows her head, manners impeccable as I smile in return. "It's so lovely to meet you," I tell her. "You're very beautiful."

The brunette blushes. "Thank you, that's quite kind," she smiles. "I love your gown." I smile down at the silken thing, mauve and printed in streaks of lightning, enough cutouts where I could barely notice the heat of the room.

"Thank you," I say appreciatively, turning to Nesta. "Where are Gwyn and Emerie? It has been so long since I have seen them."

Nesta shakes her head. "This isn't a good place for Gwyn," she explains. I'm not entirely sure exactly what she means by that, but it rings true enough. Gwyn was among one of the purest people I've ever met in spirit. I could see why they might shield her from such a place, though I'm sure she could handle it. "Emerie stayed behind with her out of solidarity." And what a kind and loyal friend Emerie was, also pure of heart and mind. It's no wonder Nesta is so fond of them.

I nod. "Is that where the Shadowsinger is too?" I ask. He wasn't in today's meeting which I had wondered over. Not that he talked a ton, but he usually had a few remarks on his spy reports or miscellaneous brooding comments here and there.

"I'm not sure where Az is," she answers, brow furrowed. "I think Rhys might've asked him to stay behind tonight." Elain's eyes briefly narrow before they are replaced by a far more benign expression. I wonder if I imagined the look.

I laugh easily though. "Wherever he is," I begin. "I'm sure he's happier there than he ever would've been in our meeting."

Nesta snorts. "I know that's the truth," she says.

"It was so nice to see you both again," Vassa commends. Only I sense the altering motive behind her warm words. "But I think we should be finding our dance partners. This song is far too good to be sat out."

Nesta smiles in agreement, but Elain looks lost. "I agree," the elder says, staring off at Cassian where he talks to Jurian with very broad gestures and big laughs. "I, too, should be finding my dance partner anyway. Come, Elain."

With that, we depart from each other, Vassa and I breaking into a very sinister laugh under our breath. "Vassa, you're a genius," I tell her quietly as we approach the turned backs of Eris and Lucien, sharing a drink.

"I haven't even told you my idea yet," Vassa says suspiciously.

"You don't need to," I tell her. "Seriously. Genius."

We giggle as we approach the men, who turn with raised brows. "By the cauldron, did you guys just get away with murder?" Lucien asks, skeptical of our devious grins.

"Dance with her," I say to Lucien, nodding at Vassa. He blinks.

"I'm sorry?"

Vassa rolls her eyes. "I'll try not to let you sweep me off my feet," she taunts. "Your mate is here."

He blinks again. "I may only have one eye, but I'm not blind."

"Make her jealous," I egg him on. "Show her what she's missing."

Lucien looks wary, glancing at Elain where she stands off to the side with Morrigan. "I don't know," he says. "It feels... petty."

"She's a nice girl, but with the composure you've kept through it all... you deserve a bit of petty," Vassa says. "Maybe she just doesn't quite know what she's missing out on."

Lucien looks at Eris, seeking help. He only gets a shrug. "It's not against the rules," he points out. I slip onto my toes to kiss his cheek.

Lucien groans. "Fine," he says, taking Vassa's arm. "But for the record, this is stupid." The fiery woman scoffs.

"You have such a way with words, Brother," Eris calls to them as they walk off to the floor. He returns his attention to me, extending his hand. "Shall we?"

I take his fingers in mine, smiling to myself. "I seem to recall that you're a bit better at sweeping women off their feet than your brother," I muse, tilting my head as he takes my waist. "Well... when it comes to dancing."

He rolls his eyes, his focus waning to Lucien and Vassa behind me. "I think he likes her," he murmurs. My brows rise.

"You do?" I ask. "What of Jurian?" I thought I sensed something between Jurian and Vassa just the other day.

"I think he likes him too," Eris says, laying his eyes back on me.

I blink. "You think he likes them both?" I asks. Eris nods. A laugh spills from me. "How do you figure that?"

Eris shrugs. "Lucien, for all his joking, likes companionship above all," he explains. "That's what he found with Jurian and Vassa. He likes that he belongs."

I frown. "Is he over Elain then?" I ask. "I fear this plan would be in vain if he is."

"I don't think he cares to make her jealous," he responds. We both knew better to think Lucien cared to hurt her either- not that I was under the impression this would make a dent in Elain's emotional state. "His ego has been fried by her rejection. His confidence has been shot. This is him taking it back before he can move on."

I tilt my head. "I suppose that makes sense," I snort. "The cauldron only knows what I would've done if you rejected our bond."

"I would've been the biggest idiot in the world," he says, tucking a braid behind my ear.

"I agree," I smirk, kissing his jaw. "I'm quite the catch."

He rolls his eyes. "Humble too," he gives me a spin, and I catch sight of Jurian joining Lucien and Vassa on the floor. The dance is awkward between having three partners, but they all laugh in good nature, spinning Vassa between them. Lucien is so happy that he's oblivious to Elain's slight sigh from across the floor, something of acceptance as she turns from the floor.

I wonder what goes through her head. If I were to see Eris dancing with another... then again, Elain and Lucien are not me and Eris. She didn't look exactly jealous, but she did look discomforted as she walked away. I imagine that's what it must feel like when someone who has liked you deeply has finally moved on, the curiosity one absolutely cannot entertain.

All will work itself out, I'm sure. I shouldn't worry for the feelings of a girl I hardly know. I should let myself indulge how happy I am for my brother- in- law.

Returning my focus to Eris, I smile, letting him work his magic on me the same he had the first time we'd danced.

...

"I liked that gown," I whine, staring at the embers of it on the floor of the hall where Eris had ripped it off.

"Me too," he whispers hotly, his lips sinking into my throat. "I'll buy you another."

I click my tongue, having no mind to argue such a thing, not with his body pressed against mine. He pushes me harder against the wall, his teeth tugging my lip. I sigh as my eyes flutter open and shut. My gaze softens over his shoulders, an ornate mirror hung directly across from where he had me pinned.

Desire courses through me as I watch his auburn head dig into my neck. As I watch him cover my naked body with his. As I watch his back muscles strain and twitch beneath his dress shirt. I begin to unbutton his shirt, needing to see his bare back as he has me. The thought alone elicits something startling in me.

He tracks my gaze beyond his shoulder as I pull his shirt off, a devious grin as he meets my gaze in the mirror. "You wanna watch me, Sweetheart?" He taunts, turning to meet my gaze directly.

I flush, twirling a finger in his hair. "I might," I murmur.

He laughs, skin hot beneath mine. "I like your mind," he whispers, pressing his lips to mine again. I get lost in the taste, sweet as honey, spicy as a poultice. My stomach hollows... as if I could consume him.

But his mouth lowers. I watch as he latches onto my breast with a rough tongue, making me cry out as his hand teases my neck. I like the way his skin presses against mine in the reflection, pink where our bodies meet, giving to one another.

He pushes my hips against the wall, smirking up at me as he kneels down. "So impatient," he clicks his tongue. I trace the shape of his lips with my nail, how they open and shut in response to my finger. His eyes were sinful from this far beneath me, amber as he looks up from beneath heavy, russet lashes.

My gaze drifts to the mirror, watching as he slips just one of my legs over his shoulder, pressing a gentle kiss to my hip bone. My eyes trail over my own body, every mark of love against my smooth skin, ragged and warm with the intensity of the moment. I hadn't even noticed the impatient arch of my spine until now, but it didn't surprise me.

Especially considering the sound I let out when his tongue greets me.

My eyes flutter shut in weakness as he torments me, sucking on every sensitive bit he can find. His hands grip my thigh fiercely, hot to the touch how he knows I like. My thigh squeezes against his head, a warning that I'm already dangerously close to tumbling over the edge.

He presses his palm against my stomach and my eyes fly open, a surprising wave of pleasure. It doesn't improve my state to see. I could either look down at where he feasts on me directly or I could watch his reflection do it.

Both felt like equal torment.

My grip tightens in his hair as I watch our reflections, monitoring the tilt of his head as his tongue strokes me deeper. "Eris," I murmur weakly. He pushes down with his palm again, angled between the juts of my hipbones.

My jaw drops open, my brows drawing together. "Fuck," I swear, muscles clenched. "Eris."

His tongue moves faster, and I can physically see myself cresting in my reflection. And with one final press, I finish with a desperate gasp, his tongue continuing to move, continuing to ride out my orgasm.

I tremble in the mirror. My knees could've given altogether if he wasn't holding me up from beneath, pressing a tender kiss onto my thigh. I shut my eyes, tipping my head against the wall as I catch my breath, as he rises to full height, holding my waist.

He kisses me softly. "Gods, I've wanted to do that since before we left," he mumbles.

"I know," I laugh brokenly, still a bit out of breath, a bit disoriented. "Someone has to give you incentive to get through these meetings without killing anyone."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83.1K 2.9K 25
Auroria of House Vanserra has much more in common with Azriel, the Spymaster of the Night Court, than she could have thought - than either of them wo...
72.4K 2.9K 96
She sent as much love as she dared, hoping he wouldn't feel it, praying he wouldn't link it to her. But just for that one second, she let herself lov...
5.2K 87 14
[Azriel x Reader] Y/n is the daughter of a healer in the city of Velaris. After a small incident, she moves to the House of the Wind to work for the...
57.5K 1.3K 17
Azriel, the spymaster of the Night Court, one of the most powerful Illyrians to walk Prythian. He was damaged, he was broken, and he thought himself...