Savior | Klaus Mikaelson

SprintingFox által

She was their protector, because they were all she had. She returned to Mystic Falls solely to help them, and... Több

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Final Author's Note

Chapter 73

1.6K 63 29
SprintingFox által

Maddy tried to plan ahead.

Before Aurora even started to question her, she let her eyes drift around casually, examining what was around her. One thing was for sure— she knew this building better than Aurora did. She'd know where to find weapons and where she could potentially gain an advantage.

However, she knew that she was at a disadvantage in many areas. And she could not ignore that. Aurora was far older than her. Which meant she was stronger, faster, and much more experienced. Potentially even smarter as well.

Maddy had to force herself to be optimistic, even though by default she leaned more toward the pessimistic side in situations like this. She had to acknowledge her own strengths as well, otherwise, she'd get into a terrible mindset and wouldn't survive this.

She'd been through a lot, as well. She'd been training constantly for as long as she could remember. Ever since she turned she'd made a point to learn to fight and she had a feeling that she was more fresh than Aurora in that. She didn't know where Tristan had had her contained, but she had a feeling that Aurora hadn't sparred with anyone in awhile. Maddy could potentially gain the upper hand there.

Not to mention she'd fought all sorts of opponents before. She'd sparred with Klaus's hybrids back when they lived in the mansion in Mystic Falls. They were tough opponents, and as Tyler Lockwood liked to say, 'Young hybrid beats old vampire every time.' Which, of course, was likely not true in every single instant but could actually be true in many. She doubted Aurora had never fought a hybrid. One point for Maddy.

She'd also had to fight Alaric, back when he'd been an Enhanced Original hell-bent on killing Klaus and his siblings. She'd fought many other vampires of all ages, including Katherine and Marcel, who'd recently defeated a vampire not much younger than Aurora by being clever. And on top of all that, she'd nearly beaten Sage at one point, back when Alaric had killed Finn without meaning to, and Sage had tried to hurt Maddy for it. Despite Sage being 900 years old, Maddy had fought hard enough to escape with her life.

Not to mention all that she'd had to endure. Certainly Aurora had had her share of trauma. But Maddy had to focus on her own for a moment to remind herself of everything she'd overcome. How much stronger she was now because of what she'd suffered.

The loss of her mother, essentially twice.

An abusive father.

The torment of being trapped with Dr. Whitmore for five years.

Damon, treating her like crap for being in love with Klaus.

Rebekah kidnapping and torturing her for the secret she kept.

Having had to watch Klaus die and having thought she lost Elena and Alaric, too, which left her nearly shutting her humanity off.

Being powerless as Finn and Kol were killed and dealing with the backlash.

Readjusting to her entire life being flipped upside down when she became human again.

Nearly dying at the hands of Mikael.

Literally dying after giving birth to Hope after Dahlia ripped her out of her body.

Having to relearn to be a vampire.

Honestly, there were likely things she was forgetting. But it certainly was enough to make her stand a bit taller as Aurora started to speak.

"Let's get started, shall we?" said Aurora sweetly. "I wish to hear more about you, starting with how you feel about Nik. And do bear in mind— I'm a stickler for honesty."

Maddy wasn't sure what other answer Aurora expected from her. "I love him. He's my everything. Before him, I didn't know I could feel something so strong for one person. I didn't know what passion was like or how wonderful a relationship could truly be. He makes me incredibly happy. There's no one else I'd rather spend my life with."

"How did you and Niklaus meet?" said Aurora, going to sit on a nearby bench, crossing her legs.

Maddy remained standing. "The 1920s. Chicago. My brother and I were there at the same time as Nik and Rebekah."

"And how long did it last?"

The woman forced herself to tolerate it for the time being, "A few months, almost a year."

"And why did it stop?"

"Mikael found them. He compelled my brother and I to forget that we knew him and Rebekah."

Aurora's lips curled up, finding her first attack point. "He didn't love you enough to keep you at his side."

"Or maybe," said Maddy, trying to keep her voice steady, "he was just protecting me. He knew Mikael would hurt me if I stuck by him. At least the way he did it, I lived another several decades and we were able to meet again."

Aurora tapped her hand against the seat. "Nik has been obsessed with me for centuries, and now he's infatuated with you. What do you think the overlap is between us? Is it... crazy brothers? One of your brothers is a Ripper, the other two are far from sane. And mine? Well... Tristan. I love him, but he can be a bit daft sometimes. You know, he likes to have me committed every so often? Hoping to cure my more... eccentric predispositions. Thanks to him, I've been plunged into ice baths, bled for melancholia, and exorcized for demons five— no, six— six times. And my latest diagnosis is bipolar disorder."

Maddy honestly felt bad for her. No one deserved to go through that. She wished there were greater advancements in mental health to help her in a good way. Tristan couldn't just shove her aside and make her someone else's problem whenever it was convenient for him.

"I'm sorry," said Maddy honestly. "I know it doesn't mean anything but you didn't deserve to go through that."

Aurora didn't seem to believe her apology was genuine. "Is it true Rebekah nearly killed you once?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"I kept a secret from her. I knew Nik had killed Esther and I didn't tell her."

"Well deserved then," said Aurora wickedly. "You should know better than to keep such secrets."

"I learned my lesson," replied Maddy. "I'll never make that same mistake again, that's for sure. I also wanted to say I'm sorry for what you went through because of the Mikaelsons. You clearly don't believe that I feel awful that this all happened to you, but I truly do. They shouldn't have compelled you. You could have all been killed. And I imagine you continued to be hunted for at least some time after the compulsion was removed."

This seemed to be true. "Yes," she replied. "Mikael was still after us some time later. That's when my brother decided he wouldn't rest until we made the Mikaelsons pay. So, the three of us... Lucien, myself, and my brother swore a pact of vengeance. For centuries, we scoured the world, looking for weapons that would kill the Originals. But... Lucien and Tristan never quite got over their hatred of one another."

"Well," said Maddy, "I understand your ire, but I sure am glad you didn't find that weapon earlier. Now, we know our lives are linked to the Originals. You would have died if you killed them. And, keep in mind, you will still die now if you kill them."

Aurora smiled. "That's the beautiful mystery, isn't it?"

Maddy forced herself not to narrow her eyes out of habit. Now this was certainly suspicious. Was it possible the weapon Lucien sought was something to keep them from dying if they killed the Originals? Or possibly something that could kill an Original and simultaneously disconnect them from their sireline? Aurora clearly knew something she didn't about this, and Maddy didn't like the confident way she conveyed her words. As if she was certain she wouldn't die if they all enacted their revenge.

"I wonder," said Aurora, getting back to her feet, "what makes Nik like you so much. I think, perhaps, you have a sadistic side to you."

"I have my moments where I'm not the friendliest person."

"Would you consider yourself damaged?"

"No. Have I had a lot happen in my life? Yes. But I've only grown from it. I've become stronger. I think I'm satisfied with who I am. Happy, even."

"You see the good in Nik," deduced Aurora. "Tell me, are you the one to bring it out in him?"

Maddy was starting to grow impatient. "I think Nik's always had good in him. But given what he endured, I don't think he felt it was safe to show a softer side of himself. He always had to have his guard up. He feared he'd be abandoned. That he'd be judged. Now, I think he feels he's in a safe space to be himself. To be carefree."

"Do you believe fatherhood has changed him?"

"A bit, yes. Being a mother has changed me, too."

"The Nik I recall wasn't very fond of the idea of having children. Did you manipulate him into having a child with you?"

Maddy was no longer playing nice. "I didn't manipulate him into anything. I communicated with him what I wanted. I accepted when he didn't want the same thing. But then the opportunity for us to have a child arose and we discussed it again. He was much more eager and we both agreed to it. We had the conversation many times. I didn't force him into anything."

"Hmm. I think he deserves better. I'm convinced you practically... what's the term... 'guilt-tripped' him into impregnating you."

"I didn't guilt trip him into anything. I've always given him an out. The fact that you'd ever insinuate—"

"Hush," said Aurora sharply. "I've heard enough. And I'm convinced you don't satisfy him enough. Perhaps that's why he elected to have a child with you. He hoped it would help him feel more connected with you."

Maddy glared at her. "Are you delusional? What part of what I'm saying isn't clicking for you? This has nothing to do with that. We didn't make this decision in the spur of a moment and I sure as hell wasn't holding a gun to his head. It took months for him to finalize his decision. And I didn't pressure him in the slightest. He wanted us to have kids. Besides, you don't even get to have an opinion here, because you had ages to come back and find him and tell him the truth and you didn't. And you don't get to claim it was because of a prophecy because trust me, there was time, and you didn't do anything about it. So the fact that you're here now thinking you have some sort of claim to him is really ridiculous. Laughable even. You're talking about satisfaction as if he would even consider you again."

She came to stand over Aurora. "I may not be the most beautiful woman on Earth, but neither are you. I may be a monster, but so are you. From what I've heard about your relationship, it seemed all you wanted was sex and for him to turn you. Kinda feels that way knowing you had centuries to confront him and you didn't. You could have reconnected with him long before 1922 and he never would have given me a second look. But you didn't. And I wonder why. Maybe it's because you knew deep down that Klaus wouldn't love you ever again. Maybe because you knew that when he saw you again, he'd see the truth..."

She leaned so that she was sneering in her face, "You're nothing but an entitled and spoiled little brat. Mark my words... he will never love you again. He's my husband. And he's going to be my husband for the rest of our lives. I'm the one he loves. Not you. I'm the one he started a family with. And don't worry, honey," she licked her lips, "he's more than satisfied."

She thought Aurora would punch her. But instead, Aurora just giggled. "Oh, you are so defensive. It's almost adorable. You know the truth, deep down. You cannot offer him all the things I can. You were merely a replacement for me. The next best thing he could find. Why, I even imagine I can be a better mother to that baby that you have hidden away."

Maddy didn't falter, though on the inside, she was panicking. "I don't think you can be a better mother to my daughter."

"That daughter that's... in Mystic Falls with your brothers right now, hmm?"

She was starting to shake with rage. How the hell did Aurora know Hope was in Mystic Falls?

"Oh, yes," said Aurora wickedly, standing up and making Maddy move backwards. "I am very efficient when it comes to finding things out. Lucien and Tristan are nothing compared to me." She batted her eyelashes. "Maybe I should pay Hope Eliana Mikaelson a visit. It'd allow me to meet those brothers of yours. And... that niece you don't seem to want anyone to know about. Sarah, is it? I'm sure she and Hope would be delic—"

Aurora hadn't been expecting Maddy to punch her so hard and so fast. She was thrown back, and Maddy picked up the bench she'd been sitting on, lobbing it so hard that she knocked Aurora down and pinned her beneath it before she could recover.

"You crossed the fucking line," said Maddy, her vampire face emerging. "You can hurt me all you want, Aurora, but you are never ever to threaten my daughter or my niece again."

Aurora let out a grunt, shoving the bench up and tossing it through the air. Maddy leapt over it, kicking Aurora right in the face, whirling around to kick her again, though this time, Aurora caught her foot. Maddy yanked her down with her, sending the both tumbling to the ground. She lunged at a weight rack, grabbing the heaviest ones she could and swirling them right into Aurora's face, breaking into her nose before she could catch them.

With an angry yell, Aurora ripped a bit of wood off of the bench, hurling it right at Maddy, though she caught it before it could lodge into her face. She ignored the pain of the splinters entering her palm and tossed it back. Aurora ducked, and it gave Maddy an opening to leap up to the balcony when she wasn't looking, ripping off two of the railings and throwing them down. Once again, Aurora had to dodge, and next thing she knew, Maddy had fallen on top of her, sitting on her shoulders with her thighs wrapped tightly around her throat.

Aurora tried to throw her off, but Maddy simply used her stumbling to lead them closer to one of the weight racks, grabbing the top bar to swing herself and Aurora up, propelling the redhead to smash into the wall. Aurora yanked the bar down, and Maddy fell, but she rolled out of the way just in time, ducking under the bench as Aurora made to kick her in the stomach.

She sped up, throwing several punches and kicks while Aurora dodged, finding herself being backed into a wall. As fast as she could move, Maddy's moves were so unpredictable that she was having a hard time knowing where to block her. In all honesty, Aurora had more experience fighting with actual weapons. Swords especially. When it came to fist fights, she didn't do it enough. And considering where she'd been confined for the last several decades, she hadn't been in a position to keep up with her training.

Next thing she knew, Maddy had swiped a leg out, causing Aurora to flop backwards. Maddy climbed onto her, planting the heel of her boot into Aurora's throat, the other in her bicep to hit a pressure point that would temporarily paralyze her arm. This elicited a yelp from the older vampire. She tried to swat her off with other hand, but Maddy reached down, snapping it to the side before yanking her up by her hair and tossing her face-first into the fence of the fighting cage.

"You're quite strong, for an infant," panted Aurora, digging her hand into the chain link fence to hoist herself up, kicking Maddy in the stomach. The vampire stumbled, but didn't fall, and when Aurora let go of the fence, Maddy was the one who caught her foot this time as she made to kick her once again, pulling hard enough that Aurora fell flat on her face.

"You may be older than me," sneered Maddy, jumping so that she landed on Aurora's lower back while she yanked her arms up, snapping part of her spine. "And you may be stronger and faster, but I can tell you haven't done this in awhile. So here, you are nothing. I will rip you apart for having threatened my little girl."

Aurora didn't look afraid, but the way her heart leapt suggested she was at least slightly nervous that soon enough, she wouldn't be able to keep up very well. Already, she was far more out of breath. She'd been convinced Maddy couldn't beat her, but had she underestimated her? Had she forgotten to consider how emotions could help a vampire be stronger, even for a short enough while that they'd gain an advantage? Had she neglected to think about just how hard Maddy would fight to protect her daughter in comparison to saving her own life?

"Or maybe," Aurora bluffed, trying to gain the upper hand, "I want to provoke you into killing me. Then, my brother and Lucien will kill you for me."

"Somehow, I doubt that," said Maddy, getting off of her, before kicking her hard in the face, making Aurora let out a 'whoop.'

"Phew!" she said, starting to giggle. "I haven't felt pain since the seventeen hundreds. That actually hurt. It kind of tickles."

"Wonderful," said Maddy with a cheeky smile. "Let's do that again."

She faked a kick, and Aurora swiped her hands out, but Maddy jumped to the side, diving down just as Aurora's arms were stretched outwards, leaving her chest unguarded. She plunged her hand into the redhead's chest, and she immediately went still, knowing that even the slightest movement would kill her.

There was a noise in the doorway, but Maddy didn't dare take her eyes off of Aurora, who had teared up from the discomfort. "I can feel your pathetic little heart pounding my fist," said Maddy lowly, faking a sympathetic look, which had sadistic undertones from Aurora's perspective. "It's so weak. Just like you. I shouldn't have beat you, Aurora, I really shouldn't have. But you came to my city... to my home... threatened my family... my daughter... all while being very, very unprepared for a fight like this."

"Madeleine."

She recognized Rebekah's voice. And so did Aurora, which made her eyes widen. "Look who came to join the party," said Maddy, tugging just a bit at her heart. "Want your turn beating into her, Rebekah?"

"I'm rather enjoying the view," said the blonde, coming over and smirking. "Would you look at that." She kneeled down beside them. "Hello, Aurora."

"Rebekah, please," begged Aurora, who seemed to think that she'd save her from Maddy. "Don't— don't—"

"What do you expect me to do?" asked Rebekah, making a face. "Stop her?" She looked at Maddy, smirking. "Well, sister, whenever you're ready. Just rip it out. Unless you'd rather keep her prisoner."

"We can't keep her prisoner," said Maddy. "There would be a chance that she could escape. And she knows where Hope is."

Rebekah frowned. "And how did the cheeky little bitch find that out?"

"I don't know. Think you could dive into her mind and find out how she knows, and whether she told anyone?"

Rebekah assented. Aurora let out a scream of pain as she tried to stop Rebekah from entering her mind, but was unsuccessful.

The blonde withdrew. "A vampire associate of hers has been keeping track on Nik for awhile. He followed Ansel when he took Hope. And since he stayed there to keep an eye on her from afar... it was easy to confirm she wasn't in the city anymore. This vampire of hers is nearby. He's the only other one who knows."

"Did you get enough information about him to find him?" she asked.

"Yes. He's staying in the city."

Maddy looked down at the terrified Aurora, pouting. "Looks like your time is up."

"NO!" yelled Aurora. "You kill me, and Tristan will tell the world that your daughter can sire hybrids!"

"We can protect her from that," said Maddy. "Because he still thinks she's in the city. Nice try. But you made a very, very grave mistake threatening Hope. I'm going to kill you now, and then, I'll kill that piece of shit brother of yours." She smirked. "Goodbye, Aurora."

She yanked out her heart, and tossed it aside before looking at Rebekah. "I still can't believe I beat her," she muttered. "She's what, eight hundred and fifty years older than me? Was she really so out of practice?"

"Aurora never much cared to learn to fight properly," said Rebekah. "She's never trained as hard as you have. In all honestly neither did I. My advantage is that I am indestructible." She offered Maddy her hand, helping her up. "What do you say we go and kill that bloke who knows about Hope and call it a day?"

Maddy smiled. "You're on."

Within the hour, the other man was dead. And not long after, the two women walked into the Compound, where Klaus and the others were waiting for them.

"We went to St. Anne's," he said shakily. "Aurora was dead and you weren't there. I thought—"

"I'm fine, Nik," said Maddy tiredly. "She didn't hurt me. But... Tristan might. So that's something to be concerned about. What did you learn today?"

"The weapon they intended to use was something called a 'Serratura,'" said Klaus, holding a small disc up. "It would have locked us away permanently, in a place where we could not be killed. Lucien gave it to me."

Maddy gulped. "Well, he's going to want that back when he finds out I killed the love of his life." She looked down at her hand, where the wood splinters from earlier were still in her bloody hand. "Not to mention Tristan will tell everyone Hope can sire hybrids when he retrieves Aurora's body. Did... did I just make it worse for us by killing her? Should I have shown more restraint?"

"Not at all," said Elena from beside Elijah. "She kidnapped Cami, helped Lucien get her magical objects, and she was going to hurt you."

Maddy's eyes welled up with tears. "She threatened Hope and I just snapped. I couldn't stop it." She sank down, not caring who was looking at her. "What if she gets hurt because of what I did?"

"I may have a solution," offered Freya. "We could bring her back here. Your brothers could stay for another while. We have so many rooms in this house... perhaps letting them be involved would not be the worst thing. They've been asking for updates constantly."

"I-I don't know, something could happen to them, and if they come, Valerie and Meredith might come too and it's just... it's risky."

"Maybe that's what we need," said Elena. "For the entire group to stay here until this is over. Jenna and Ric can stay in Mystic Falls, but maybe Davina can come by... Jeremy's been wanting to visit. The more people we have on our side, the better. Chances are, Lucien will come back for the Serratura, and Tristan will launch some sort of attack to avenge his sister's death. Hope is no longer safe so far from home. If they find her..."

Klaus and Maddy shared a look, and the hybrid nodded. "Call your brothers. Have them come here, with Hope. Ansel, of course will need to be informed so that he may return as well. If this house must temporarily become a hotel to ensure we have all the allies we need to be rid of Lucien and Tristan... then so be it."

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

66K 2.8K 36
She needed a job, and he needed a governess for the boy he adopted at a funeral. Before either of them knew it, they were getting more out of the arr...
30.7K 1.2K 28
Two powerful families that were brought down by themselves, two creatures that shouldn't exist. In a chance encounter myths turned into a new reality...
94.7K 2.8K 28
She had hoped that despite her family name leading her down a supernatural path, she'd manage to pull away from it and have a career free of vampires...
24.4K 1.3K 28
After being released from the worst prison imaginable, she was tasked with a murder she knew she could never bring herself to carry out. Rather than...