Blindsided

By emilyslittlelibrary

Melanie Flores isn't one to loosen the shackles guarding her heart easily. She keeps herself cautious, and ne... More

Author's note
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
*Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
*Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
*Epilogue
Authors note
New book!!!!

Part 21

694 15 16
By emilyslittlelibrary

Melanie

Bailey Whitlock is standing in my dorm room. With blood on his face. And shirt. 

"I told you not to do anything stupid." I sit back down on my bed, crossing my legs underneath me.

"What I did wasn't stupid. It was rational." he steps closer into the room, his eyes immediately falling to the dark bruising around my eye.

"How was that rational? You're hurt!" I survey his own beaten face, my blood running cold as I realize it was because of me.

"Because, he's a piece of shit. Worse than that. And because he hurt you. Therefore, rational." there's nothing joking about his tone, his eyes set deep on mine.

"Uh, if you're okay Mel, I might just... go for a walk." Persephone gestures to the door, pulling on a pair of crocs left lying around. I nod to her, smiling before she quickly exits. 

The door clicks closed, and Bailey heads towards them, checking that every lock is secured. After doing so, he turns back around, walking closer towards me. I stand up from my bed, standing right in front of him. I have to crane my neck to look into his eyes, but once they lock, I know they're never separating.

"What did you do?" my voice barely a whisper, I wrap my arms around myself. Because if I don't, I don't know where else they'll end up.

"Bailey Whitlock. What, did, you, do?" he takes a deep breath, the heave of his chest nearly hitting my own body given our proximity.

"I went to his place. Told him to fuck off. That's it." his voiced is rushed, like he's leaving something out.

"And what happened here?" Against my better judgement, I touch my hand to his cheek, not missing the soft wince he portrays. I feel a zap of lightning brew inside of me as my fingers linger on his warm skin, skimming over the rough surface.

"He got a hit or two in. But I had the upper hand, don't you worry." his tone has returned to a smidge of its usual lightness, although I can tell something is still bothering him. 

"Well, sit down. Pers keeps a first aid box in here, I'll fix you up." I push Bailey down onto my bed, picking up the first aid box tucked underneath Persephone's bed. I lay it out on my own bed, thumbing through its contents until I find what I need. 

"Okay, this might sting a bit, but you're not allowed to yell at me." I pull out an alcohol swab, focussing on Bailey's playful eyes below me. 

"I would never yell at you, love." ignoring the soft flutter brewing in my chest, I lower the wipe onto Bailey's cheek, wiping up the dried blood covering the cuts. He winces again, and my left hand moves to cup the back of his head, holding him in place. I swipe at his cheek once more before digging into the first aid kit, finding a few stray band-aids. 

"I think this is what you're supposed to do, but we can go to my friend Lera's place later if you want. She's studying nursing, so she'll know what to do." I break the comfortable silence that's been hanging in the room since he sat down.

It's only now that I realize the position we're in. I'm standing between his legs, my hand pushing his head closer towards my body from where I had begun treating his injuries. I cough awkwardly as I fiddle with the first aid supplies, grabbing out a clean alcohol wipe. 

I begin tending to the cut above Bailey's eye, wiping away the stray blood quickly. My fingers run over the small laceration, our scars now a matching set. Our eyes meet slowly, like we've both just realized what I'm currently doing. A shiver runs up my spine as his hand trails along the outside of my thigh, resting against my hip. I quickly apply another band-aid to his skin before stepping away from him. My hand wraps around the handle of the first aid box, my legs working quickly to place it back where it originally was. 

"Thankyou Melly." With my back turned, my head nods subconsciously, no words able to exit my mouth successfully.

"I'm sorry, as well." Against my better judgement, I turn back around, our eyes locking. 

"For what?" A nervous giggle escapes the depth of my throat, my heart beginning to race.

"For not being there yesterday, to help you. For not telling Green to fuck off yesterday... for... for..." he stands from my bed, walking towards me slowly.

"It's fine. I'm fine. Everything's fine. Don't worry about it." Our eye contact drops as I avert my eyes, his intense stare becoming too much.

"No, everything isn't fine. I can tell. What's wrong?"

Everything, I want to say. Everything is wrong.

"Nothing. Nothing is wrong. I just..."

"Talk to me Mel." he has a finger tucked under my chin, forcing our eyes to meet. I swallow the large, prominent lump in my throat, squinting to block the hot, heavy tears behind my eyes from escaping.

"I'm embarrassed." My voice fills the room before I realize I've even spoken. 

"Why?" Bailey's voice softens, the tension in his forehead falling away. 

"I'm embarrassed, being fucked over by someone I don't even like. I'm embarrassed that I'll now forever be tied to him when I press charges, which I 100% intend on doing. I never liked Jamie, you need to know that. I never had any intentions of going out with him. I only got coffee with him because..." I catch my rambling just in time, before I can blurt out the whole truth. How I only went out with Jamie to make Bailey jealous, to get him to leave me alone. 

Well, look how that turned out.

"You shouldn't feel embarrassed. He's a psycho, and I think we can all agree that we never expected him to do anything like this. It's not your fault Mel, and everyone here, your friends, know it isn't. He should be the one embarrassed to show his face in public, knowing what he did." his thumb moves along my cheeks, drawing soft circles across my skin. His words are soothing, more so than I'd ever imagined.

"Oops, sorry, I thought you'd be done by now I'll just..." Biting back another round of flowing tears, I spring back from Bailey at the sudden voice. Persephone's standing in the door warily, although I know a smile is growing beneath the façade. 

"No, it's okay, come in." My arms find themselves wrapped around my body once again. Although, the preventative measure didn't seem to work last time. 

"Uh, did you want to go and see Coach now or wait a bit?" Bailey asks as he stands awkwardly beside me, looking flustered. The thought almost makes me blush, but I'm able to conserve it without giving anything away. 

"Yeah, sure. I'll see you later Pers." Persephone nods, shooting me a wink before I can escape her careful eye. I shake my head, grabbing my phone and new set of keys, throwing them into the pocket of my sweatshirt. I slide on my crocs, bidding Persephone a final goodbye. Bailey's soft footsteps follow behind me down the hallway, and for some reason, the knowing that he's here, right beside me, makes me feel at ease. Stops the bad thoughts from swirling around in my brain, impacting each and every thought I possess. Even for just a while. 

He holds the door open for me as we walk outside, cold air hitting my exposed face. I shiver, cursing myself for not grabbing a coat before I left. 

There's only 2 weeks until winter break, where I'll be going back to San Francisco. With all that's happened, and the looming mid-terms, I really have no idea how I'll survive. 

"Here, stop shivering." My eyes flick to Bailey, only to see him wriggling out of his large, warm coat. He ignores my soft protests, draping the fabric over my shoulders. 

"You didn't have to, you know." I make a point of complaining, although I don't really mean it. I'm no longer shivering, and I feel like I could melt into the coat's heat. 

"So, how Lucinda." His eyes grow wide at the abrupt change in conversation.

"Good, I guess. We've both been busy, so I haven't seen her in a few days." he scratches the back of his head awkwardly, uncomfortably even.

"You proved me wrong, you know." he turns to face me as we walk, our steps in sync. 

"What do you mean?"

I swallow a mouthful of the cold air, figuring out my thoughts.

"You know how... just before you guys started dating, that I didn't believe you could do it? Well, you have. And, I'm glad you haven't broken Lucinda. I still stand by my previous statement about how nice she is, so I'm glad you didn't ruin her. So... thanks for that." I'm blabbering, I know I am, but I feel like I owe it to him to be nice. For once. He truly has proven me wrong, and I'm glad he's actually done something good and honest. For once.

"Thanks for... not breaking my girlfriend's heart?" Bailey raises an eyebrow, clearly questioning me. 

"Yes. You've proven a point, to both yourself and me, and I'm proud of you for it." A small grin flashes across his lips, his eyes flicking from the ground to me in one heart-stopping second. 

"Okay then." I tear my eyes from him, thankful to see the pool building quickly approaching. Once we reach the door, Bailey holds the door open again, smiling sweetly.

"You ready?"

No. But I don't mean to talk to Coach. 

I'm not ready for something else, something no longer sneaking up on me slowly.

...

He has not left me alone, all week. All, week, long, I have had a bodyguard wherever I went, whether that be one of the girls, or the likes of everyone's favorite London Boy. But mostly, the latter. Which has driven me absolutely insane, and is continuing to drive me insane with each passing minute. 

Which is what has driven us to our current fight, if you can call it that, playing out in the secluded nature of the campus courtyard. 

No, I'm not kidding.

"Stop treating me like damaged goods. Stop trying to be a hero, please." I start off our bickering, throwing my hands out in explanation.

"I'm not trying to. I just want to help." Bailey fires back, his voice remaining calm, not a hint of anger in his voice. Thankfully.

"I know, and I'm grateful for that. It's not just you. Everyone just wants to help, but I feel like I'm being squashed. Like I'm not me anymore. You know me, I need space like I need air."

"But I don't want you to feel alone, or like you're in danger. I want to be here for you. Truly, I'm not trying to be overbearing, I just want to help."

"But you, and everyone else needs to know I won't go on, living in fear. Living like I need to look around every corner just in case. Because that's not living. And, you can't be around forever. You have other people to spend time with, people you'd much rather spend time with like... like... your girlfriend." I know it's rude, bringing her into this conversation, but Bailey needs to remember the boundaries. The ones we've been slowly tearing down ever since we started being together more often.

"Don't bring her into this. This conversation has nothing to do with her."

"But you're spending all your time with me? You have your own finals to study for, your own life to live! It can't all revolve around me-"

"And why not? Has it ever occurred to you that I actually might want to spend time with you? You're not that insufferable, well, not all the time." 

Stunned, I stand from our picnic table, gathering the books upon books of resources I have laying atop of it. Bailey follows suit, picking up his own stuff. I need to get out of here, and away from here before I say something that will change everything.

"Here, I'll walk you back."

I neither agree nor disagree, knowing what the outcome will be regardless. Our footsteps are heavy against the gravel path, voices quiet. 

We get to my dorm all too quickly, and I turn to face Bailey outside of my room. 

"Thanks. I guess... I'll see you sometime later?" I ask, unable to meet his wandering eye. 

"Yeah sure, just tell me if you need anything." I finally lift my gaze, our eyes locking instantly. 

"Okay."

"Are you going back to San Fran for Christmas?" he tilts his head sideways, ever so slightly, waiting earnestly for my response.

"Yeah, you?"

"No." my heart plummets, for reasons I can't bring myself to think of.

"Okay. Uh, I guess I'll call you over break, if anything changes with my case." He nods knowingly, a whole body nod. 

After we saw Coach that day a week ago, things have moved surprisingly quickly. Coach kicked him off the swim team, and he was expelled by the Dean only days later. Apparently the schools 'no tolerance' policy against assault was still in perfect working order.

"Yeah, I'd like that." Bailey nods again, and I unknowingly find myself searching his body. My eyes focus on the curve on his jaw before falling to his strong, veiny hands, caught clutching the work we were doing outside. 

"Okay, well, goodbye Bailey."

"Goodnight Melly." I turn the keys into the locks guarding my safe space. 

I dump my belongings onto my too-messy desk, falling onto my mattress a handful of seconds later.

What even is anything anymore?

A/n:

hey friends,

i hope you enjoyed another part of this story!

i've decided to make this book a little shorter that 'unforgettable', meaning there's only 11 (not including epilogue) parts remaining to be written and upload, meaning this story will hopefully be completed in around a month (ikr, wtf?!)

although, more information about upcoming stories and projects will be released soon <3

also, qotd, if you're reading a book rn, drop it here :)

lots of love and happy reading,

em, xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.7K 708 43
College sophomore Natalie Carson is looking for a fresh start. After moving halfway across the country to escape a manipulative ex and troubled famil...
142K 10K 41
Kelsey and Jack have made it through the crucial, difficult first few months of their new relationship. Kelsey has survived a vicious assault, and ac...
665K 16.6K 44
Madison Rosales is not your typical 22- year-old. While everyone her age is out graduating college? She's only getting started. While everyone is out...
159K 4.6K 17
Wednesday gets kicked out of her old school for attacking the swim team. Her parents send her to Nevermore, where there is a mystery that she needs t...