[Career Series #5]: The Elect...

By Dimli_

[Career Series #5]: Catria Lionne Montagne Mariano takes pride in being the daughter of a famous senator and... More

The Electric Spark
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 5

410 9 0
By Dimli_

"Happy birthday, Catria," grandfather greeted me when he arrived. He was late but I'm still delighted that he was able to come despite his busy schedule.

"Thank you for coming, grandfather!"

"Hunter and Hailey couldn't come but they wanted to give you these." Grandpa looked at his assistant who was carrying two large boxes and there was a small box at the top. "The other one is from me."

I just smiled even though I was jumping out of joy inside. Everyone's attention will be on me, unlike last year when everyone was trying to get into Hunter's good graces like it was his day.

I brushed my thoughts about Hunter and Hailey away and just enjoyed my birthday party. Dad also introduced me to some of his friends in politics like Senator Cantabria, Senator Garcia, Senator Magbanua, and Senator Esteban.

"Ito pala ang pino-protektahan ni Senator Mariano," Senator Cantabria said with a friendly smile "Magaling ka raw sa pag-aaral, Callie, may plano ka na ba kung anong gusto mong gawin pagtanda mo?"

"I'm planning on taking accountancy po then law para makatulong po ako sa businesses nila mommy at daddy," I said with courage.

Senator Esteban chuckled. "I hope you become a lawyer, Callie."

I nodded. I know I'll get there because I won't stop until I get those titles.

"Buti pa 'tong si Callie alam na agad kung anong gusto niyang gawin paglaki niya. Mga anak ko hindi pa rin alam gagawin nila papasukin ko na nga lang ng pulitika kapag hindi pa sila nakapagdesisyon," Senator Magbanua said.

"Si Andres diba balak din mag abogado?" Senator Garcia asked Senator Cantabria.

"Oo, papasok sa pulitika 'yon, iniisip pa nga namin kung sa Pilipinas namin pag-aaralin o sa ibang bansa. Baka maiba kasi ng landas kapag dito namin pinaaral." Senator Cantabria laughed and looked at me. "Kung kasing bait lang sana siya ni Callie, wala sana kaming problema kahit dito pa siya sa Pilipinas mag-aral."

"Mabait talaga 'tong si Callie sobrang masunurin pa," mom said and caressed my hair.

They just talked about politics, specifically the bill about our privacy and social media until I was able to escape. I'm not really into politics because I think it's really chaotic plus people hate on politicians too much. My dad doesn't even have time for me, he's always at work because people are too demanding and when we ask for privacy they throw hate at us.

"Baka sa susunod, SK chairman ka na," Matt said and laughed.

I frowned. "I'm not going to enter politics, I'm just forming connections para sa future."

Matt's forehead creased and confusion was evident in his eyes. "Para saan 'yong connections?"

"Sabi ni grandpa maghanap daw ako ng connections para sa business."

He nodded slowly as if he was trying to understand what I'm saying. "Hindi talaga siguro ako para sa mga usapang negosyo na ganyan."

"Syempre hindi kasi you're good at other things!" I said because I saw his grades last quarter and he aced almost all his science and mathematics subjects. Unfair na if pati sa business interested din siya.

He shrugged. "Siguro nga... Wala naman akong balak pumasok sa pulitika kaya hindi ko rin naman talaga kailangan pang alamin 'yong mga koneksyon ninyo. Ang gusto ko kuhanin sa college katulad ng course ni dad."

"Matteo Carson R. Torre, Electronics Engineer," I said and grinned. "That sounds good... Bagay sa name mo."

After my birthday party, the guests went home so I was left with the gifts that they gave me. I couldn't sleep so I just started unwrapping them.

I opened my grandfather's gift first and it was a Birkin. I wonder if he's the one who chose the design or someone else chose it for him?

I just shrugged at the thought, at least he knew that I collect bags.

I opened Hailey's gift next, and the box was full of ballet stuff such as leg warmers, warm-up boots, hairpins, and a lot of other stuff that we normally use in ballet. There was also a small card inside the box so I took it out and read it.

Hi, Callie!

Happy 14th birthday! I heard that you're a ballerina like me so I gathered everything that a dancer like us needs. I hope that you loved my gifts.

Also, I apologize for not being able to attend your party. I have some prior commitments that I needed to attend to.

All the love,

Hailey

My forehead creased because of her letter... Why is she acting like we're close? I don't even see her often and we don't even talk.

Well, my other acquaintances said she's friendly so maybe that's just her personality.

"Dear, why are you still up?" mom asked. She was already wearing her robe over her nightwear.

"I'm just opening some gifts... How about you, mom?" I asked. "And why are you here?"

"I just wanted to get some chamomile tea because I cannot sleep. Do you want some?"

I nodded. "Yeah. By the way, grandfather gave me a Birkin," I said and grinned.

"Lucky!" Mom rolled her eyes at me jokingly. "Anyway, gagawa na ako ng chamomile tea. I'll see you later, dear."

After I arranged Hailey's gifts inside the box, a small rectangular box caught my attention. It was gold with a blue ribbon design. I checked the card and it was from Hunter.

I opened the box immediately because I was curious as to what Hunter would give me. I'm sure he knows that I'm interested in the Montagne Empire and that I'm a potential rival or something.

There was a white fountain pen with gemstone studs inside. It also has a gold print of my name on it.

The pen was a little heavy and the gemstones look real but there's no way in hell that he has the money to pay for a customized pen with real gold and gemstones.

"Here's your tea, dear." Mom put the cup of tea in front of me and her gaze landed on my hand where I was holding the pen. "What's that?"

"Oh! A pen," I answered and handed her the pen so she could take a look at it. My mom has a good eye when it comes to gold and gemstones.

Mom smiled as she was examining the pen. "This must be a very expensive pen, the gemstones are real as well as the gold print. Who gave you this pen?"

"Hunter gave it to me."

Mom's smile faded and she looked at the pen again, her brows raised while she was examining it again. "Ang kapal ng mukha ng batang 'yon bigyan ka ng pen!" She handed me the pen and it was evident on her face that she was already in a bitter mood.

"Why po? What's wrong with him giving me a pen, mom?" I asked because I don't get it. What's with her getting so irritated over a pen?

It's just a pen... A very expensive pen that could be handy for me in the future.

Mom shook her head and held my cheek. "Nothing... Just know, anak, na ako ang laging kakampi mo. Kami ng daddy, okay?"

I nodded even though I was so confused by her reaction. What is with this pen? I didn't want to ask any more questions because she already said that it was nothing but I feel like there's really something with this pen.

I have to find that out as soon as possible.

"Tita! I'm done arranging the table na po," I said as I entered the dirty kitchen of Matt's house where tita Shirley was cooking their dinner.

"That's great, Callie! Thanks!"

We're preparing a surprise for Matt because it was his birthday and I hate how it landed on a school day.

"Anong oras po ba uuwi si Matt?" I asked tita because it's already 7 in the evening and he's still not home. I know he's busy with football because the games are coming up but it's his birthday today.

"7:30 or 8, Callie, depende kasi talaga sa traffic tsaka nagpaalam sa akin 'yong si Blair na baka ma-late si Matt umuwi dahil may plano raw sila para sa birthday ni Matt. HIndi naman daw dinner kaya kasabay pa rin natin magdi-dinner si Matt."

"Blair po?" I asked her because I'm not sure if I heard it correctly or if my mind was playing tricks on me.

"Yes, 'yong isa sa mga bagong friends ni Matt sa school. Ang bait-bait na bata noong si Blair tsaka with highest honors kaya mukhang mapagkakatiwalaan naman at hindi naman maliligaw ng landas si Matt kapag sila 'yong kasama."

"Pero I'm still your favorite naman, diba tita?" I asked jokingly even though I really wanted to know what her answer on that will be.

"Oo naman! Ikaw talagang bata ka, masyado kang selosa!" tita laughed ang pinched my cheeks. "Tsaka 'yong pagkakaibigan niyo ni Matt iba 'yon sa pagkakaibigan niya at ng mga kasama niya sa school."

"Of course, it's different, tita. Ang tagal na naming friends ni Matty and mas tatagal pa kami, his high school friends are just temporary friends until he finishes high school unlike me, I'll always be around, tita."

"That's good to know, Callie, alam mo naman kasi si Matt, hindi talaga 'yon friendly." Tita laughed. "Buti na lang talaga naging magkaibigan kayong dalawa."

I couldn't agree more because if I didn't have Matt around, my life would have been lonely and boring.

"Surprise!" I shouted with Matt's family when he arrived.

He didn't look surprised but he smiled at us. "Thanks."

We ate dinner with his family and tita took out the cake we made for Matt and we sang the usual birthday song for Matty.

Matty just shook his head while his face was red out of embarrassment. I know he doesn't like getting a lot of attention but tita was too pushy. Tito was also recording everything on his camera.

"Happy birthday, kuya!" Carmela greeted Matt and hugged him after Matt blew the candles on his cake.

"Thanks, bunso." Matt kissed Carmela's forehead.

I smiled at the scene in front of me... These two are really cute so I took out my phone to take a picture of them but Carmela looked at me.

"Ate, sali ka rito! Hug ka rin!" Carmela said and extended her hand to me.

I smiled and approached them. Carmela pulled me closer to them and Matt wrapped one arm around me while his other arm was on Carmela.

After dinner, I stayed at their house because Matty has a lot of stories about his training, his classes, his friends, and how he celebrated his birthday at school.

"Do you have pictures with them?" I asked to look interested even though I'm really not interested in knowing what he did with his friends.

"Wala sa phone ko, eh, pero may pictures yata si Axel at Blair kanina... Hindi ko alam." Matty shrugged and took out his phone. "Ito pala, nag-post si Blair." He handed me his phone where there was a Facebook post on the screen.

Blair posted pictures of their group of friends on Facebook with the caption, "Happy birthday to our football athlete, Matteo!"

"Oh! They went to your training?"

Matt took his phone from me and nodded. "Hindi ko nga ine-expect kasi close kami at araw-araw kaming magkakasama pero syempre may sari-sarili din naman kaming inaasikaso tapos may mga circle din naman sa loob pa noong circle namin halimbawa kami ni Julian mas close kami sa isa't isa. Si Blair, Ella, at Jas mas close silang tatlo kaysa sa iba. Si Daphne, Axel, Ethan, at Crystal ganoon din."

I took a deep breath. I shouldn't be worried, I'm still the person who's here to end his birthday with him. Not his friends and most definitely not another girl.

"Sa likod na lang po kayo," I told my bodyguards and yaya when we arrived at Marikina Sports Center. "Para hindi po ako makita ng mga tao masyado."

"Miss Callie, sinabihan po kami ni Senator Mariano na dapat po lagi kaming nasa tabi ninyo. Uupo na lang po kami sa likod niyo para hindi po masyadong mapansin."

I sighed. "Fine." I can't really disobey them because I don't want to test their limits.

I took my phone out to text Matt and inform him that I'm already here but instead of getting a reply, I saw Julian walking in my direction.

"Callie, tara, nagwa-warm up na kasi sila Matt kaya ako pinapunta niya rito para sunduin ka." Julian guided me to the bleachers.

My brows raised when I saw that Matt's other friends were there. I had to count them inside my head to check if they were all there.

Why are they all here? Are they that supportive?

"Doon tayo uupo, Julian?" I asked Julian while we were on our way to their friends.

Julian nodded while he still had a smile plastered on his face. "Mababait naman mga kaibigan namin kaya sabi ni Matt na sa amin ka na lang tumabi kaysa sa ibang tao."

I pursed my lips and nodded because I don't have any other choice but Matt trusts them so much that he'll let me sit with them?

"Dito ka na lang sa gitna namin ni Blair, Callie." Julian pointed at the unoccupied area next to Blair.

"I don't think that's a good idea, Julian," a guy said. Axel yata name niya if I'm not having their names mixed up.

"Bakit naman?" Julian asked with confusion.

I tried my best not to roll my eyes at him because I'm in enemy territory so I have to play nice even though it annoys me how clueless Julian looked.

Blair looked at Axel while shaking her head but Axel kept on talking because he didn't see how Blair was stopping him.

"Diba? Montagne siya, Fiorentino si Blair—"

Daphne shoved chips inside Axel's mouth. "Ang daldal mo, Axel," she said and rolled her eyes.

Blair smiled awkwardly at me and moved away to give me some space between her and Julian. "I don't mind middle names so I hope you don't mind them as well."

"I don't," I said and sat beside her because I don't want to bitch out in front of them. As much as I hate being here with them I really have no choice but to endure it because I don't want to give Matt more problems.

Julian introduced their friends to me even though I already knew who they are. Kilala na rin naman nila ako because I introduced myself to them months ago but I guess, this introduction is just for formality's sake.

I looked at the field after my bodyguards settled themselves on their seats and I saw Matt warming up with his teammates. He ran his fingers through his hair like he usually does when he's already sweaty.

Matt looked in our direction so I waved at him for him to know that I'm already here and I'm here to support him.

The side of his lips rose up and he waved back at me. He turned around and continued warming up with his teammates.

I looked at Blair who was talking to Ella that was sitting beside her. Ella was wearing a jersey like Matt's but Matt's jersey number was 9 while Ella's number was 13.

"Are you okay? Do you want to eat anything?" Blair asked Ella softly.

"Okay lang ako, Blair, panoorin na lang natin 'yong game nila Matt. Kailangan nila ng suporta natin, medyo malakas 'yong kalaban nila ngayon." Ella looked at me and smiled.

I smiled back. "Football player ka rin?" I asked para may pag-usapan kami. I need to fish some information about their football team.

"Oo, katatapos lang ng game namin kaninang umaga."

"Kasabay niyo mag-practice sila Matty, diba?" I gave her a sweet smile. "Matty's performing well naman sa Football?"

Ella nodded and looked at Matt. "Isa siya sa best players ng team nila since grade 7 kaya inaalagaan talaga siya ng team."

"Callie, ilang years na kayong friends ni Matt?" Axel asked me. "Kasi 'yan si Matt sobrang sungit niyan kahit nga kaming mga kaibigan niya hindi niya nginingitian masyado. So gaano katagal bago maging super comfortable si Matt?"

"We've been friends since we were three. That's like, more or less, 11 years of friendship." I felt happy while saying that. "I was the only one until he met Julian when they were in primary school."

Julian laughed. "Grabe ka naman, Callie! Hindi ko naman inagaw si Matt sa'yo."

"Of course, you didn't." I chuckled and shook my head. "Wala namang makakaagaw kay Matt sa akin."

"Grabe naman si Matt, 11 years bago maging super close?" Axel said and looked at Daphne who was glaring at him.

I laughed because they were so obvious. "Matty is too reserved. Sa akin lang talaga siya comfortable and same din naman ako for him, sa kanya lang din ako comfortable. Para kaming may small bubble na kaming dalawa lang."

"Really?" Axel said.

"Yeah... Kaya nga mahirap pantayan ng ibang tao 'yong friendship namin. There's nothing like us in each other's life." I hope that slapped them with the reality that I'm Matt's number one friend. They may be part of Matty's life now but I have always been and always will be.

Axel only stopped asking questions about me and Matt when the game started. I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to football so I'm just looking at Matt while they were playing.

If I'm going to be completely honest, football is just them running around the grass while kicking a ball but I'm still watching the sport because of Matt.

I watched intently and I don't know anything about football but I'm impressed with how Matt brings the ball and I cannot stop myself from cheering whenever he scores a goal.

After Matt's game, there were several girls who are holding cameras or phones who approached Matt much to my annoyance. Matt shook his head at the girls and ran to me.

"Congrats!" I said and hugged him tightly. I didn't mind if he was sweaty.

"Buti nakapunta ka!" he said and hugged me back.

I chuckled and looked at him. "Of course! I wanted to be here."

I needed to be here. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

74.4K 2K 42
FRIENDS SERIES #2 Caeleb knows his boundaries and priorities. He was very clear life goals. No lovelife, Diploma first. Basically his mindset was lov...
992K 34.1K 76
[REVISED VERSION: MAY 2024] Coffees and pancakes. Teas and waffles. Two people crossed that created ditto but with dissonance.
5.1K 1.4K 44
She woke up from the deep but uncomfortable sleep. The moment everybody's been waiting for, As the brilliant sun flashes through her gentle face. Her...
316K 17K 29
It all started when rookie setter Seb Angeles misset the ball causing injury to their team's opposite hitter, Nico Almojer.