[BL] Eternal Spring

By _earthshaker_

In the kingdom of Qiangda, the people live a harmonious life. The imperial family bears the mark of the phoen... More

Disclaimer
第一章
第二章
第三章
第四章
第五章
第六章
第七章
第八章
第九章
第十章
第十一章
第十二章
第十四章
第十五章
第十六章
第十七章
第十八章
第十九章
第二十章
第二十一章
第二十二章
第二十三章
第二十四章
第二十五章
第二十六章
第二十七章
第二十八章
第二十九章
第三十章
第三十一章
第三十二章
第三十三章
第三十四章
第三十五章
第三十六章
第三十七章
第三十八章
第三十九章
第四十章
第四十一章
第四十二章

第十三章

69 3 0
By _earthshaker_

Once again, Qing Yuan stood guard at night. The weather was warmer today so it wasn't too bad. He leaned on a pillar, eyes closed, arms crossed and resting his body. Besides, the king had spontaneously decided to give him the morning off, arguing that he'd been staying up too many nights to guard his chambers. Qing Yuan didn't mind. He collapsed back in bed, the wound on his shoulder throbbing.

The wound in question throbbed gently at his collar. He'd managed to scrounge up an antidote for the poison but the wound itself would take longer to heal. Qing Yuan thought about the poison in the wine, and now the poison on that female's blade. They were clearly trying to hurt the king but were they truely stupid? With the phoenix mark, Jiang Zhilan was practically impervious. And if it did affect him, he'd recover faster than any ordinary mortal. Or perhaps, the legend was so far buried that people forgot about the existence of the Qiangda flower and it's connotations. Qing Yuan wasn't sure himself.

His thoughts all swirled together, the warm night coaxing him into sleep, until Qing Yuan felt as if were surrounded by fuzzy warmth. His training prevented him from falling over as he drifted further into sleep. A quiet creak had him wide-awake. He lazily opened his eyes as the door beside him opened from the inside. His eyes fell on his figure and he was enraptured. It didn't show on Qing Yuan's face but, for a moment, he stared in awe.

In the pale moonlight, Jiang Zhilan looked like a rare beauty. Under his dark brows, the black fans of his eyelashes spilled over peach blossom eyes, and his shapely lips were pink. The silk of his hair messily framed his delicate face, looking as if he had just been rolling around restlessly. Jiang Zhilan's robes were mused, the loosened neck revealing a pair of collarbones as fine as jade...

Qing Yuan hastily looked away. A standard imperial guard kneeled at the foot of the steps, posture rigid while Qing Yuan didn't bother to stand up from his slouched position against the pillar. "Your majesty, is there anything you need?"

"Hm, couldn't sleep." The pair of guards looked uncertainly at each other, unsure of what to do.

"Would you like me to summon Eunuch Shuang?" One asked hesitantly.

Jiang Zhilan thought for a moment, then shook his head. "Just bring a few jars of pear blossom wine." Jiang Zhilan rubbed his temples. He couldn't sleep because he couldn't stop thinking about Qing Yuan. Not in that way...probably...

That bandage...he glanced over, only to find Qing Yuan already looking at him. They stared at each other for a moment before Jiang Zhilan looked away shyly. "Come in."

Qing Yuan followed him, helping open the wide bamboo window and light the candles. Jiang Zhilan settled at a low table, cheek in hand, watching Qing Yuan in the ambiguous air. He sighed. "The moon looks beautiful tonight." He reached out a hand as if to touch the pale face in the sky over Qing Yuan's shoulder. He couldn't help but wonder how it would feel to be there, alone, but free from responsibilities. Jiang Zhilan dropped his hand at the sound of the door.

"Your majesty." Eunuch Shuang looked disheveled, as if he'd thrown on his clothes in a hurry. He carried a jar of pear blossom wine in his arms and a couple maids trailed over him. "What are you doing up so late? Are you not feeling well? Are you unable to sleep?"

Jiang Zhilan smiled fondly at his fussing. "Just leave that here." He gestured to the table. "Just a few drinks to help me relax." Eunuch Shuang retreated, standing by the door despite Jiang Zhilan's insistence that he go back to bed. He gave up trying quickly.

With the cloth cover removed, the fragrant smell drifted into the air. Jiang Zhilan poured himself some, inhaling the fragrance and tossing it back. Eunuch Shuang looked like he wanted to protest. Jiang Zhilan thought it was kind of awkward. With Qing Yuan looming above him and Eunuch Shuang across the room, both watching him drink alone.

"Hey," he half whispered to Qing Yuan. In the silent room, his voice was loud. "Sit down and drink with me?"

"Thank you, your majesty, but I decline." Jiang Zhilan pouted sulkily.

"I order you to sit down and drink with me." He raised an eyebrow and drank another cup, as if daring Qing Yuan to defy him.

"..."

"Why aren't you moving?" He patted the spot beside him. "Sit." Qing Yuan was reminded of the time they shared a late night meal.

"I'll take my leave," Qing Yuan said abruptly, clasping his hands together and bowing. He stepped around the shocked king and headed for the door, jaw clenched at the itchy feeling in his heart.

"You-you," eunuch Shuang sputtered, appalled at the rudeness. "Ho-how dare you!!"

"Stop." Qing Yuan paused reluctantly at the demanding tone. "You're all dismissed," HE said. Eunuch Shuang bowed and gestured for the court maids to follow him. Qing Yuan stepped forward to follow, but the king interjected. "Except Liu Qing Yuan." He jerked to a stop, hand clenching tighter around his sword.

"Come sit." This time, Jiang Zhilan's voice held a thread of steel, his tone still carrying a trace of laughter. "What?" He whined. "Do you want me to drink alone? Drinks are best shared with friends."

"..." Qing Yuan felt slightly dizzy from the flip-flop of mood.

"I...I am not your friend," He said slowly. 'Are we friends?' His heart beat a smidge faster.

"Ah, you're so heartless." Jiang Zhilan got up, pushing Qing Yuan down. He poured him a cup of pear blossom wine and shoved it into his hands. Qing Yuan gave him a slow look and drank it. The taste was fruity and floral, but Jiang Zhilan's next teasing words made him choke.

"I poisoned it." He leaned towards him, whispering, "We won't part, even in death." Qing Yuan glared at him, wondering if he'd gone stupid or if he actually had gotten drunk off two cups of wine. Jiang Zhilan smiled radiantly. "I'm joking."

They sat there in silence, only the sound of pouring wine and rustling clothes could be heard. Jiang Zhilan gazed at the moon for a while, then turned his head and stared at Qing Yuan. HIs profile was sharp and unforgiving but his eyes held a softness that was almost tender. A piece of hair fell softly, grazing the tip of his nose as he looked down to pour more wine. Jiang Zhilan clenched his fist to prevent himself from reaching out to see if his eyelashes were as thick as they looked. He watched his throat bob as he swallowed down the liquor, suddenly feeling as if his own mouth was parched. Jiang Zhilan felt a warmth spread through his body, tingling at his fingertips and he vaguely wondered if he had became intoxicated already.

Lost in his own thoughts, Jiang Zhilan didn't notice he'd been staring until he looked up and directly met Qing Yuan's eyes. His gaze was dark, the corners of his eyes swept up to give him a constant arrogant appearance. Jiang Zhilan found himself entranced.

"What is it, your majesty," Qing Yuan said a little hoarsely.

"You have pretty eyes," he mumbled, impulsively reaching out to brush his finger along Qing Yuan's dark eyebrow. He hastily turned away and Jiang Zhilan dropped his hand, wondering if it was the wine or if Qing Yuan's cheeks were truly pink.

"You flatter me, your majesty," Qing Yuan said quietly, staring down at his wine as if it was a scrying bowl. The liquor stripped away Jiang Zhilan's restraint and he reached out again, pushing a lock of Qing Yuan's hair over his shoulder. His cool fingers brushed the back of his neck, drawing a shiver from his spine.

"Your majesty..."

"Qingyuan," Jiang Zhilan called intimately. "What do you think about the future?"

"Your majesty, you shouldn't call me that," he replied rather awkwardly after a silence.

"Why? Are we not close enough?"

Qing Yuan didn't say anything, instead, going to drink another cup. 'It's not that. It's just...I-'

"I like you." Qing Yuan choked. "You make me happy. Everyone else is so boring." Jiang Zhilan made a face, unaware that his words had been interpreted in the wrong way.

Qing Yuan felt torn. The fate of his country rested on his shoulders. He didn't have any special attachment to Gongzhuan, but he did have his master. And if his master wanted him to end the phoenix rulers, he would. Because without his master, he wouldn't be alive.

"Qingyuan~" Jiang Zhilan teased, smiling with his cheek in hand. Qing Yuan glanced at him and quickly looked away. After a moment, he asked,

"What's on your mind, your majesty?" Jiang Zhilan drank another cup, even though he felt like his head was floating. He pillowed his head on the table with his arms and frowned, sighing like a man with many grievances.

"The south has experienced minor droughts, but it still affected the citizens badly. The relief plan is in progress but I'm afraid...Gongzhuan..."

The king didn't finish his sentence but Qing Yuan didn't need him to. 'You're afraid that Gongzhuang will start to cause trouble.' After all, Qiangda shared its southern border with Gongzhuan. Inevitably, the winter season was also upcoming and if there were not enough harvests, the common people would be the ones to suffer.

The soft flutter of wings drew Qing Yuan's gaze to the propped open window. In the bright silhouette of the moon, a small black bird hopped on the windowsill. It looked like any ordinary bird but it's intelligent gaze told him it was one of Mo Wu's special messenger birds.

Qing Yuan stiffened, glancing over to gauge the king's level of attentiveness. His eyes were closed. "Your majesty, I'm going to go get some water."

"Mm."

Qing Yuan got up, swaying for a moment as his vision tilted. He rubbed his eyes, not realizing he'd drunk this much. With soundless footsteps, he walked to the door, checked that everyone had left and slipped out, rounding the side of the building. The bird had flown to the outer railing, it's beady eyes staring at him. Qing Yuan whistled low and the bird then allowed him to approach. He took the near invisible paper tied around it's legs. Only a few words were written on the parchment in strong strokes that Qing Yuan recognized as his master's handwriting.

'Swallows Nest Inn'

Qing Yuan glanced at the sliver of the king's figure that he could see through the open window. "I'll trouble you to wait a bit longer," he whispered, melting into the shadows.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.2K 1.8K 82
Shen Wei only remember living with his uncle Chu since he lost his mother when he was 8 years old in his burn down village. They moved to make new l...
33.5K 1.3K 65
JiYuan woke up to find that he has turned into a big beauty. System : Our goal is to.... JiYuan (without any expression) : ...become a man. This is a...
36.4K 2.4K 200
~ MDZS Alternate Universe ~ BL / yaoi 🔞 Lan Xichen, almost 28, is a lawyer, a talented one at that, who knows how to work hard, and also how to...
553 87 20
The free-spirited and defiant underworld prince, Sang-Hyun, was destined to become king, but he fled to the human world to ascend the throne of profe...